Red Ferrari from Audio 13 in Vietnam.

Guy 13

Red Ferrari from Audio 13 in Vietnam.
« on: 21 Oct 2010, 03:15 am »
Hi all.
I know all AC members love pictures, therefore, here are a few of the things that have been cooking here in Vietnam.
V-2(S) the S stand for sub only.

A close up on Danny's GR Research SA-1 plate amplifier.

Design by Guy 13 and made in Vietnam. Industrial look spikes, but super strong and at 2 USD each a bargain.

My system (From L to R) :
GR Research V-2M The M stand for modified, mainly the dimensions.
Rega Apollo CD player.
Niteshade Audio Model SE15 (I have re-name it : SE-10M for 10 wpc power output and the M for modified, cosmetic changes, like power rocket switch and volume control knob.
Rega P-3 turntable with Rega Exact MM cartridge. Not shown a Bellari VP-129 phono stage.
The piece of furniture holding all the audio stuff is made in Vietnam for 175 USD, including the locking wheels for ease of getting in the back for cable changes.

Any comments welcome, even if you don't like what you saw.
Guy 13.

persisting1

Re: Red Ferrari from Audio 13 in Vietnam.
« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2010, 03:27 am »
Wow, those subs are sexy  :drool:

Guy 13

« Reply #2 on: 21 Oct 2010, 03:31 am »
Wow, those subs are sexy  :drool:
Hi
One of the rare thing I like about doing business and living in Vietnam, it's the cheap labor and cheap raw material. (Cheap for inexpensive, but also low quality raw material, especially when you don't know where to buy.)
Guy 13

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #3 on: 21 Oct 2010, 03:57 am »
Guy13, you are a creative guy!  My hat is off to you.  Keep on creating!  :thumb:

Guy 13

« Reply #4 on: 21 Oct 2010, 04:57 am »
Guy13, you are a creative guy!  My hat is off to you.  Keep on creating!  :thumb:
Hi and thanks for the compliments, it's appreciated.
Next year I will be building an OB with three 12" driversper channel in a U frame configuration with one GR Research SA-1 amplifier per channel. Everything is layed down on paper, I am only waiting for the money to become available.
Guy 13

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
« Reply #5 on: 21 Oct 2010, 05:01 am »
Hi Guy,

Are your V-2 enclosures finished with a plastic laminate?

Got any close up pictures of them?

Thanks,

Ruben

Guy 13

« Reply #6 on: 21 Oct 2010, 05:10 am »
Hi Guy,

Are your V-2 enclosures finished with a plastic laminate?

Got any close up pictures of them?

Thanks,

Ruben
Hi.
I don't know what kind of paint the cabinet maker used, because my enclosures were sent to a paint shop, however, I know it's ordinary air dry paint.
Here is a close shot, but not sure if it helps ?

If you want and if it can be of some help to you, I can take a few more shots. I like to pixelize my creation. (Ha, ha...)
I am thinking of applying a thin coat of Pledge can spray. I will try first on a small area...
Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #7 on: 21 Oct 2010, 05:17 am »
Hi all.
I did not see/read any comments from Danny (GR Research) on my Red Ferrari creation.
Maybe he does not like me to change his original design or probably, it's because he is too busy, yes, I think that's what it is : He's very busy.
Well, Danny will have a chance to comment on my next project.
Guy 13

persisting1

« Reply #8 on: 21 Oct 2010, 06:05 am »
Hi all.
I did not see/read any comments from Danny (GR Research) on my Red Ferrari creation.
Maybe he does not like me to change his original design or probably, it's because he is too busy, yes, I think that's what it is : He's very busy.
Well, Danny will have a chance to comment on my next project.
Guy 13

Don't take it personal.  Danny only posted once today, and it was hours ago.

Guy 13

« Reply #9 on: 21 Oct 2010, 06:16 am »
Hi and thanks for the compliments, it's appreciated.
Next year I will be building an OB with three 12" driversper channel in a U frame configuration with one GR Research SA-1 amplifier per channel. Everything is layed down on paper, I am only waiting for the money to become available.
Guy 13
Hi all.
Please find below a preliminary hand sketch of my next project for 2011 called : U312.
U stand for U frame and 3 for three drivers and 12 for 12" drivers.
Simple enough !
The three 12" drivers will be connected in series parallel to give an approximate 6 Ohms load to the GR Reseach SA-1 amplifier.
Now it's time for Danny to jump in, if he doesn't agree.
The mids and the highs wil be taken care of by the drivers from the N-3 kit from GR Research.
Again, last chance for Danny to agree or disagree...
As usual the wood used will by extra heavy duty industrial type 1" thick MFD for the sides and 2" for the front and bottom, I might even put some sand on the buttom to avoid the enclosure to tip over.

As usual, all comments are quite welcome.
Guy 13. 

Guy 13

« Reply #10 on: 21 Oct 2010, 06:22 am »
Don't take it personal.  Danny only posted once today, and it was hours ago.
Hi.
I don't take it personnaly at all. I understand that Danny is very busy (I am also a business man, so I can understand) and after all, who am I ?
Only a customer that bought from GR Research :
One V-1 kit
One V-2 kit
One V-2 kit w/o the coaxial driver and crossover.
Two Rythmik 12" servo sealed sub woofer
That's nothing compare to his total buisness.
Of course I am joking.
Of course, I understand.
Of course some AC members will comments.
Therefore, Danny if you read this, don't comments, you have more important things to do.
Ha, ha, ha...
Guy 13
You all have to learn how to understand my French Canadian sense of humour.

kp93300

« Reply #11 on: 21 Oct 2010, 09:07 am »
Hi guy 13
I wish you are my neighbour so that I learn some of your expertise!
Since labour and material is cheap, go ahead and build it and share your experience in the forum.
The knowledge and experience gained cannot be quantified in $ !

regards
kp93300

Guy 13

« Reply #12 on: 21 Oct 2010, 09:24 am »
Hi guy 13
I wish you are my neighbour so that I learn some of your expertise!
Since labour and material is cheap, go ahead and build it and share your experience in the forum.
The knowledge and experience gained cannot be quantified in $ !

regards
kp93300
Hi.
I love to share my experiences and mistakes with all the Audio Circle members and I learn from other members as well...
Because even if my enclosures look nice (Especially the red Ferrai V-2S), they are far from being perfect. I always shake my head in disapointment after the project is completed and tell myself that next time, I will do it differently. I think it will take quite a few more projects, before I have something that is to my liking.
I am far from being an expert in audio, however, I do have enough knowledge to enjoy doing experiences and because here in Vietnam, material and labor is so cheap, well, I do more projects than if I was in Canada.
More to come, but only next year, I have to fill again my piggy bank.
Guy 13

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 21 Oct 2010, 02:41 pm »
Sorry, but I am still playing catch up over here and I am still about 100 e-mails behind. I answered about 50 or more last night before bed time.

The Red OB subs look great. I love it. You'll love it even more if you can line it with No Rez. The panels are pretty good sized and those woofers will really shake them hard. My personal pair of V-2's have an additional 3/4" side panel and are lined with No Rez and if I were doing it again I would make the side panels even thicker if I could.

Again on the V-2 build, I'd do whatever I could (follow the plans) to minimize the surface area around the upper driver as the added space there will reduce imaging and sound stage layering.

In the design that you have posted there are several issues.

First, the N3 kit can't be used in an open baffle. For an open baffle design the crossover has to be completely different. For instance, the OB-5 and OB-7 use the same upper MTM as the N3, but the crossover is completely different. And changes in baffle size also require changes to the crossover. So even if the crossover for the MTM section of an OB-5 or OB-7 were used, it would still need the values adjusted for the larger baffle area.

Secondly, you can't series/parallel three drivers. You can series two of them and parallel it to one and get a good impedance load, but the one driver will be working twice as hard (getting twice the power) as the two.

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
« Reply #14 on: 21 Oct 2010, 07:24 pm »
Hi.
I don't know what kind of paint the cabinet maker used, because my enclosures were sent to a paint shop, however, I know it's ordinary air dry paint.
Here is a close shot, but not sure if it helps ?

If you want and if it can be of some help to you, I can take a few more shots. I like to pixelize my creation. (Ha, ha...)
I am thinking of applying a thin coat of Pledge can spray. I will try first on a small area...
Guy 13

Thanks Guy.

How about a close up shot of the Venuettes?

Thanks again,

Ruben

Oscillate

« Reply #15 on: 21 Oct 2010, 08:30 pm »
"I'd do whatever I could (follow the plans) to minimize the surface area around the upper driver"

This has probably been discussed previously... Danny, regarding the Venues, would there be any
benefit to putting the upper driver on a swivel so that it can be tilted upwards or downwards?

Guy 13

« Reply #16 on: 22 Oct 2010, 03:02 am »
Sorry, but I am still playing catch up over here and I am still about 100 e-mails behind. I answered about 50 or more last night before bed time.

The Red OB subs look great. I love it. You'll love it even more if you can line it with No Rez. The panels are pretty good sized and those woofers will really shake them hard. My personal pair of V-2's have an additional 3/4" side panel and are lined with No Rez and if I were doing it again I would make the side panels even thicker if I could.

Again on the V-2 build, I'd do whatever I could (follow the plans) to minimize the surface area around the upper driver as the added space there will reduce imaging and sound stage layering.

In the design that you have posted there are several issues.

First, the N3 kit can't be used in an open baffle. For an open baffle design the crossover has to be completely different. For instance, the OB-5 and OB-7 use the same upper MTM as the N3, but the crossover is completely different. And changes in baffle size also require changes to the crossover. So even if the crossover for the MTM section of an OB-5 or OB-7 were used, it would still need the values adjusted for the larger baffle area.

Secondly, you can't series/parallel three drivers. You can series two of them and parallel it to one and get a good impedance load, but the one driver will be working twice as hard (getting twice the power) as the two.
Hi Danny and all AC members.
For the NoRez, as soon as Danny gets my money, he will ship me ten (10) sheets and I will stick them in all my Venuettes.
I will try first with the NoRez, then, maybe go for extra thickness on the sides of the V-2. I am now working on installing additional 3/4 MDF boards on each sides of the V-1.
For the V-2 top PAudio coaxial driver, I will try NoRez around the back of the driver to minimize reflections.
When I am ready with my U-312 project, I will let Danny know the dimensions of the front panel so that he can supply me with the right crossover.
Since my U-312 project is still on the drawing board, I can change anything or everything to make it right, with Danny's help of course, since he will be supplying all the components.
At first I wanted to go with two 15" drivers, but thought that the cones would be too heavy and sluggish... And, Danny don't sell 15" drivers, that why I wanted to go with three drivers (Virtue/Acoustinators) I also thought about the SW-12B, but it is not for OB and the SW-12-16FR is too expensive, since I need a total of six drivers.
Anyone with suggestions ? ? ?
Next week or sooner I will post some pictures of my V-1 that I have modified according to Danny's suggestions. Who said I only do things my way. I do listen to others, but first, I have to try my way. Yes, I know, I am loosing money by doing it my way and then change things around, but, it's my money !
See you later aligator.
Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #17 on: 22 Oct 2010, 03:12 am »
Thanks Guy.

Thanks again,

Ruben
Hi Ruben.
In a few hours from now, I will post some pictures of my black V-1 and V-2.
All the enclosures are lined with some kind of peel back texturizedéembossed plastic wall paper. For the round surfaces, he peel back the Mac-Tac and heat it with an hair dryer to soften the plastic. I agree to do it that way, because it is inexpensive and for me it looks O.K. but of course the Ferrari Red color looks better.
With my next project (U-312) I might go with the white paint.
But that will not happen tomorrow, it will be more like early next year.
Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #18 on: 22 Oct 2010, 03:48 am »
Thanks Guy.

Thanks again,

Ruben
Hi Ruben.
I wrote earlier that I would post some pictures in a few hours, well how about a few minutes ?
I said to myself, might as well do it now, before I become too busy or I simply forget. Here they are.
I hope it will help.
Guy 13

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #19 on: 22 Oct 2010, 03:49 am »
Hi Guy,
I heard the V1's at the show this past weekend, and I felt that the V2's have better tonality, but the V1's have better dynamics and better bass.  What is your opinion, since you actually own both?

Also, what do your neighbors think of all your subs :P