Audiocircle member RMAF 2010 show coverage.

TomS

Re: Audiocircle member RMAF 2010 show coverage.
« Reply #260 on: 19 Oct 2010, 02:26 pm »
Was that TRI TRV-4SE preamp on display in the Acoustic Zen's room???

Sounds like Robert Lee has done it again :thumb: I recalled that he has been showing with TRI corporation for quite a number of years running. Wonder why TRI equipments never really took off in the states, perhaps it's not expensive enough by audiophile standard :green:

AliG,

I'm pretty sure he was using an integrated when I was in there as I think he said it could also be used as a power amp.  I simply forgot to mention the AZ room earlier, but this setup was easily at the top of my list.  I could have listened there all day.  The TR gear was also beautifully built.

Tom

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #261 on: 19 Oct 2010, 02:35 pm »
Does anyone know how many of the manufacturers bring room measurement equipment to measure the room response to help dial the room in? 

omasciarotte

« Reply #262 on: 19 Oct 2010, 02:53 pm »
Does anyone know how many of the manufacturers bring room measurement equipment to measure the room response to help dial the room in?

Dunno about the rest, but I can tell you that, in Sonic Studio's suite, a teeny bit of LF correction was applied. About 2 dB was dialed in to their Model Four DAC/prepro. The Focal guys helped set up their Electra 1028 Be pair. FYI, the speakers were driven by a pair of Parasound JC 1s in turn driven by the Model Four fed from Amarra.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #263 on: 19 Oct 2010, 02:55 pm »
Dunno about the rest, but I can tell you that, in Sonic Studio's suite, a teeny bit of LF correction was applied. About 2 dB was dialed in to their Model Four DAC/prepro. The Focal guys helped set up their Electra 1028 Be pair. FYI, the speakers were driven by a pair of Parasound JC 1s in turn driven by the Model Four fed from Amarra.

Did they use use room measurement software to see the before / after?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #264 on: 19 Oct 2010, 03:26 pm »

I have used the DEQX to measure the standard RMAF room and like all home listening environments it does have some bass issues. The best way to deal with it is to use room correction / EQ because you're limited to only a few placement options.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #265 on: 19 Oct 2010, 03:47 pm »
I finally got my pictures uploaded into the gallery.  Pardon the quality as I only used a very small P&S.  BTW, I had to do a little digging to get all the tags right as I am terrible taking notes. :oops:

RMAF 2010

A sample for you.  I will get my thoughts out later.  I agree with a lot of what's been said but there are some differences.  This work thing has got me all tied up at the moment though.

omasciarotte

« Reply #266 on: 19 Oct 2010, 03:48 pm »
Did they use use room measurement software to see the before / after?

Turns out the Sonic Studio dudes busted out one of their Model 302 A/D/A pre/pros, a calibrated mic and SpectraFoo analysis software. Pink noise and swept tones were used to characterize the room response. The Focal guys made placement suggestions until everyone was happy.

Randy

« Reply #267 on: 19 Oct 2010, 03:50 pm »
Anybody have any comments on the Tyler speakers room?

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
« Reply #268 on: 19 Oct 2010, 04:22 pm »

Joseph Audio - A really nice sounding room.  Similar to the Dynaudio Sapphire's, but quite a bit better in overall sound, especially in the bass, which was very impressive to me.  Also, this room had the most over the top remote control ever.  It's actually not a remote, it's my Light Saber.

I thought this was Tyler Acoustics' room? With Plinius and Silver Circle Audio.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #269 on: 19 Oct 2010, 04:52 pm »
Purity Audio Room - this had the bad luck of coming right after the Less Loss room.  Sure, it sounded good, but just was not at the same level.  Maybe I'll try to hit it sooner in the show next year.

We'll accept that :green: I can tell you that the speaker arrangement was a last minute decission as we had other options that did not work out in this particular room. Lucily Alex from RAAL was gracious enough to let us use his new dipole ribbon which really brough the Rethm speakers up several levels.

Next year will be quite different :eyebrows:

vinyl_lady

« Reply #270 on: 19 Oct 2010, 04:58 pm »
  BTW, I had to do a little digging to get all the tags right as I am terrible taking notes. :oops:
I made the mistake of thinking I could remember each room's sound without taking notes :duh: Who was I trying to kid :lol: Note to self: Take notes next year

rjbond3rd

« Reply #271 on: 19 Oct 2010, 05:06 pm »
...I can tell you that the speaker arrangement was a last minute decission as we had other options that did not work out in this particular room. Lucily Alex from RAAL was gracious enough to let us use his new dipole ribbon which really brough the Rethm speakers up several levels...

Your room sounded great to me!

atmasphere

• Industry Participant
« Reply #272 on: 19 Oct 2010, 06:29 pm »
Dude, seriously, the DESIGNER of the Atma's was in the room working on them.  If there was anything needed like the autoformers, don't you think the f'ing designer would have insisted on them?

Hi Tyson, just some thoughts on what was happening in the Daedelus room. First off, the MA-1s have no worries driving 5 or 6 ohms. The speaker/amp interface was not the issue. There was a ground loop in the crossover that took some doing to overcome, and on one of the evenings we had that sorted out.

As far as I can tell, the big issue was that the MA-1s overloaded the Furman power conditioner in the room, and despite my insistence that they be plugged into the wall, it never happened. That's a lot of power to go through one power cord (running the entire system!) and one conditioner. We showed with Furman the first time they ever came to CES, and the guy wrote the book on what is important in power line conditioning when he worked at Fluke instruments (one of these days I will put his white paper on line...).

Anyway, the MA-1s could not get decent power and they went right to sleep. I'd say over the last 6 months we spent more time and energy on this room than all of the rooms we have ever done at any show put together, and for naught. But the one thing it was **not** was a speaker/amp incompatibility. Anyone who does these shows a lot knows how important the setup is, and paying attention to important details. Unfortunately, I was not allowed the input that I would have liked to have in this room. So I agree with you on the results.

Randy

« Reply #273 on: 19 Oct 2010, 06:40 pm »
Tyson, yes, the speakers in that photo look like Tyler's D- 2s. Nobody seemed to take any notice of the sound other than that short comment.

Hear any good classical music at the demos in Denver? I used to bring my own CDs to play and drove most of the other auditioners out of the rooms.  Didn't make it down this year.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #274 on: 19 Oct 2010, 06:45 pm »
Hi Tyson, just some thoughts on what was happening in the Daedelus room. First off, the MA-1s have no worries driving 5 or 6 ohms. The speaker/amp interface was not the issue. There was a ground loop in the crossover that took some doing to overcome, and on one of the evenings we had that sorted out.

As far as I can tell, the big issue was that the MA-1s overloaded the Furman power conditioner in the room, and despite my insistence that they be plugged into the wall, it never happened. That's a lot of power to go through one power cord (running the entire system!) and one conditioner. We showed with Furman the first time they ever came to CES, and the guy wrote the book on what is important in power line conditioning when he worked at Fluke instruments (one of these days I will put his white paper on line...).

Anyway, the MA-1s could not get decent power and they went right to sleep. I'd say over the last 6 months we spent more time and energy on this room than all of the rooms we have ever done at any show put together, and for naught. But the one thing it was **not** was a speaker/amp incompatibility. Anyone who does these shows a lot knows how important the setup is, and paying attention to important details. Unfortunately, I was not allowed the input that I would have liked to have in this room. So I agree with you on the results.

Thanks for the explanation Ralph.  Great to see you here on A.C.   :thumb:

On another note, I would be very interested in reading the white paper that the Furman Engineer wrote.  Please let us know when you have it posted on your site. 

I'm sorry that you didn't get the result that you and your company deserve.  Your OTL amps are still VERY HIGH on my purchase list.   

Randy

« Reply #275 on: 19 Oct 2010, 07:00 pm »
I bet Duke got great results with Atmosphere in his room. Again, very little on Duke's room has been posted.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #276 on: 19 Oct 2010, 07:01 pm »
Tom,

It was absolutely GREAT to have met YOU after all these times.

I'm sorry we couldn't hook up after hour since I was playing hosts to several events.

Give me a kick in the rear next year please if I'd forget to spend some time with you.

Thanks Tom.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #277 on: 19 Oct 2010, 07:01 pm »
Sorry for repeating this: the Atma-Sphere S30 driving my monitors (5.2 Ohms minimum) were the best speaker/amp match I've heard, once the 20-Ohm peak at 2.2 kHz (the only peak above the bass range) was flattened.  The fact it had audibly more dynamic punch than a very good 50W class A high-50 lb SS amp speaks well for the OTL. 

Wayne1

« Reply #278 on: 19 Oct 2010, 07:44 pm »
As far as I can tell, the big issue was that the MA-1s overloaded the Furman power conditioner in the room, and despite my insistence that they be plugged into the wall, it never happened.

As we found out later, even plugging into to wall would not have helped much. At one point, after turning the MA-1s on, the power for that wall went out. So did the power for the room above us. It turned out the hotel had the two rooms wired together. They shared a single 20 amp circuit. With 1 kW draw from the MA-1 and 600 watts from the M-60s above us, there was not much extra current to go around.

The ground loop seemed to manifest itself only when the Atma-sphere gear was used. A Marchand electronic crossover was also tried but it had the same noise. No noise was noticed with the Modwright amps in the system.

This conversation can easily degrade into flaming. I would prefer to avoid that. What it simply comes down to was we couldn't get the Atma-sphere gear to work in that room with what we brought to the show. Ralph did spend quite a bit of time trying to make it work. In the end, we decided to go with gear that had worked before.

TomS

« Reply #279 on: 19 Oct 2010, 07:51 pm »
Tom,

It was absolutely GREAT to have met YOU after all these times.

I'm sorry we couldn't hook up after hour since I was playing hosts to several events.

Give me a kick in the rear next year please if I'd forget to spend some time with you.

Thanks Tom.
It was a pleasure to meet you too Hugh.  I passed through a few times and you were pretty busy at the room so that seems like good news!  Congrats on the show and I hope to be there next year as well.