Audiocircle member RMAF 2010 show coverage.

Mariusz

Re: Audiocircle member RMAF 2010 show coverage.
« Reply #160 on: 18 Oct 2010, 07:18 am »
Your pictures do not show  :scratch:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #161 on: 18 Oct 2010, 07:24 am »
Yes, PEZ's flickr account is crap, sorry about that!  I'll try to get him to rectify it tomorrow.  For myself, it is time to sleep and I'll continue tomorrrow.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #162 on: 18 Oct 2010, 07:26 am »
And it gets better!  Pez is not even out of the room and he's telling me (within earshot of the room reps) "Man, can you believe how bad this room sucked!"  Jeez, people say I lack tact!

:lol: .....From last years thread....RMAF 2009...the Win Audio room

joeling39

« Reply #163 on: 18 Oct 2010, 08:23 am »
If I'm not mistaken, he's the designer of the B&W seashell speaker.

I can't remember the exact history of the Vivid designer, but suffice to say he has a stellar and extensive record of successful, innovative speakers.  Apparently the V1.5 is made with an integrated stand to the floor or a flat pedestal allowing the user's own stand or placement on a shelf, table, etc.

One acquaintance is familiar with my old French ASA Pro Monitors, and remarked the V1.5 have a rare combination of "timbral accuracy and timbral beauty".  He also placed them above such premium pieces as the Wilson Benesch A.C.T. (U.K., not to be confused with Dave Wilson, a mix of exotic materials including W.C.F. enclosures) and a very rare Australian speaker with sealed woofer alignment.

For the technology and promised performance they seem to be very moderately priced.  Certainly they lack the first octave and head banging SPL, but that might be all they lack. 

No idea about the load characteristics. 

I've heard and enjoyed the hugest MBL omnis at CES, but they normally play too loud there; it would be great to hear the smaller models and at more normal levels.     

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #165 on: 18 Oct 2010, 09:10 am »
Awesome pics and words, thanks for posting guys, especially Tyson for the honest opinions. Good to hear the GR Research are as impressive as I hoped, building a pair now. :D

Wish I could be there, maybe next year we'll come over. :)

Are there posts missing? Seems like I get a notification but the post has dissapeared, has the thread been pruned?

JohnR

« Reply #166 on: 18 Oct 2010, 09:16 am »
Sometimes people remove their own posts.

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #167 on: 18 Oct 2010, 09:20 am »
Sometimes people remove their own posts.

Fair enough, was just curious, thanks :)

Big Red Machine

« Reply #168 on: 18 Oct 2010, 12:01 pm »
OK, Saturday is a game changer for me in the high end audio realm.  We'll start with the normal stuff and get to the extraordinary at the end.  Actually, as I think about Saturday, HOLY CRAP what a huge day it was.  I can't believe the number of good to great rooms we heard.  Like I said earlier, RMAF this year ROCKED!!!  I'll try to hit the highlights here.

GR Research - Went back to see how things had changed since Friday.  HOLY CRAP the bass on the V1's was out of this world.  By far this was the best bass of any room of the entire show.  In fact, it's the best bass production of anything I've heard anywhere in my entire life!!  The mids were also excellent.  But the tweeters were too hot for my tastes, and I thought the room was a bit too bright overall.  I think there is an easy fix for this (reticulated foam in the tweeter horn throat), but I don't think Danny had a chance to try it at the show. 

Fritz Speakers - The thing I love about this room (besides the super-cool proprietor), is that they don't try to be something they are not.  Very good sound, even, balanced, and incredibly musical.  If someone asked me to recommend a bookshelf speaker that was great quality, this would be it.

Marantz Room - Marantz, meh.

Linkwitz Orion - One of the great white hopes.  Based on the buzz (and my own logical reasoning), I expected to love this room.  I do have to say that meeting Linkwitz was a true honor.  But if I am honest I must note that I do not like the metal midrange SEAS driver.  The bass was too strong.  However, them imaging was incredible, as only open baffle speakers can do.  Overall it's really close to the best ever sound, but the signifigant gaps really need to be addressed before that can happen.

Jones Amps - A room with speakers that have metal drivers?  And SS amplification?  Oh no, I am covering my ears already!  But, surprisingly they sounded very, very mellow and quite involving/relaxed.  Clearly they truncated dynamics, but I am perfeclty OK with that trade off for the smooth sound they produced.

YG Acoustics - Sounded terrible last year, and sounded "meh" this year.  From bad to mediocre is still an improvement.

AudioKenesis - Finally!  A room to write home about.  Meeting Duke was a pleasure, and his speakers were truly musical.  Very good dynamics and tonality and great imaging.  Loved, LOVED his demo/explanation of multiple ports on his speakers and their "high end" plugs ;)

JBL Horn - I forget the name of the model, but I do know that they are FAR better than the much more expensive models we will hear on Sunday.

Tri-Audio/Acoustic Zen - My vote for best sound at show, bar none.  Imaging to die for, and gets to the soul and heart of the music more effortlessly thann anything else I've heard over the last three days.  $6k for a friggin 845 SET with 20 watts on tap?  You gotta be kidding me!!!

Ah, lest I forget, THE most transparent speakers at the show (too bad they sounded crappy):

German Physics - The little brother of the last room.  I actually think I liked these better than the bigger GP's.  Better mid bass and the same awesome highs and imaging.

Lonely Orphans Feeling No Love - No comment necessary:

Magico Room - Mediocrite personified.

Dynaudio C4 - My vote for biggest improvement year over year.  Last year the Dynaudio room was terrible.  It was the Consequence Ultimate model and it was absolute sh!t.  I mean, WTF were they thinking, this is a seriously flawed and stupid concept.  But, this year they bring out the Confidence C4 which is a GREAT speaker.  And they hook it up with a tube amp!!!  Couple that with dual dac's (YES, DUAL DAC's, you heard that right) from Wadia over a very good music server and you have great, great sound.  My vote for 2nd best overall sound at show (caveat - the music sever was awesome but the CD transport was mediocre at best).

Salk Speakers - OK, truth time.  Last year I simply hated the Salk room - the combo of bright ribbon tweeter and metal midrange simply drove me out of the room.  I didn't say anything at the time because I'm a gentleman.  I'm very happy to report that the circular crappy ribbon tweeter has been replaced with a RAAL tweeter this year.  This is a SUBSTANTIAL improvement!!  For me personally, the SALKS are still not quite my preferred flavor, but the sound did not drive me out of the room.  In fact, listening to how coherent and detailed they are from top to bottom, combined with the absoletly STUNNING cabinet work and craftmanship on them, I'd give them the "FLOORSTANDING SPEAKER BARGAIN OF THE SHOW" award.  IMO, Salk speakers really need to break away from the mid-fi AVA gear and start showing with true high end gear to really show what they are capable of.  I know Jim and Frank are probably friends, but business is business.

GR Research (again) - OK, the V1's kick the sh!t out of my V2's from a bass standpoint.  In fact, I will go further.  The V1's with their dual parallel active servo subs kick the sh!t out of EVERY speaker I have ever heard in my entire life.  Stunning, awesome, incredible, jaw dropping.... I simply run out of superlatives.  Mids on this day are also very, very good.  But, the highs are even brighter and more shouty today.  It's a single flaw but it really bothers me, particularly since my V2's don't have this balance at all (they are NOT bright).  I have a theory about the cause of this, but you have to read my V2 build thread to find out what it is :P  Again, Danny is an absolute pleasre to talk to and work with, and the value he offers is off the scale.  Nothing speaks louder than someone voting with their wallet, and of all the possible speakers I could invest in, I went with the V2's and I'm still absolutely, completely happy with them.

Von Schweikert Audio - OK, before last year at RMAF I'd never heard or seen a VS speaker in real life.  My impressions last year were that they were tiny (hobbit-like) speakers that sounded very bad indeed.  I did not post that during my show report, because I do not like to bad mouth manufacturer in general, and particularly not ones that are clearly making an attempt to push the envelope of design for their products.  But the fact is, I didn't like the VS room at all.  But this year?  Complete 180.  The VS room was musical, soulful, beautiful and involving.  Of course, having 45 watts of Cronzilla SET amp power driving your tower speakers does NOT hurt, IMO :)

B&W 802 Diamond - Better than the stock 802, but the massive sibilance still makes them suck.

Grant Fidelity - Very good sound and amazing case work on the equipment for a very modest price.  Black Treasures all around (which are the BEST tubes you can get - too bad I blew a quad of KT88's and I did not get the warrantee, so I'm screwed). 

Nola Audio - yes, open baffle can actually suck!!

Avalon and Rowland - Hey, here's a great idea, let's put a bunch of our really expensive sh!t on passive display so that NO ONE can listen to it!  Yeah, that's a f'ing brilliant idea!

Win Audio / Rockport - One of the rooms that really was amazing last year and took a huge drop this year.  I don't care how big your tube amp is, it should NOT be driving this speaker full range.  Oh, and I disavow knowing any of these losers in the photo.

Music and Arts  - Amazing room!!!!!!!!!!!!!  When audiophiles say "it's all about the music", this room is what they mean!!!!!  Too awesome for words, so I won't even try.  Buy every recording he makes, you won't be sorry!  And his speakers/system was super simple, but incredibly musical and involving.  As an alternative to a "lifestyle" system, it simply kick's @ss.  Even judged on an absolute scale it is very, very impressive.

Aperion Audio - This room, from a sound quality standpoint, gives the Salk room a serios run for the money with regard to value.  At least the tower speakers do (at $1700).  The bookshelf speakers are pretty meh, but the towers sound very good for very little outlay.  Ultimatley I'd go with the Salks becuase of their stunning cabinetry, but the Aperions sound more mellow and would be a good rec for non-audiophiles that just want something that "sounds good".

Fritz Speakers - Ah, finally a bookshelf speaker that I can write about!  I find I simply dislike small speakers becuase they sound small, or they are bright and irritating, or they simply lack a sense of scale that I love.  But not here!  Fritz is a MASTER designer and his speakers sound incredibly musical and involving.  Always a man to take the less beaten path, he ignores fashion and picks components that simply make beautiful music.  I love the fact that these speakers never try to be more than a bookshelf speaker, but rather they simply are the best bookshelf speaker that can be.

Big surprise, I disagree with about half of what you have said here.  Another difference in tastes scenario.  You are a madman for being so detailed though.  You and Pez are tireless, I'll give you that and your combined enthusiasm is refreshing.  (Internet is out at my house since I left last week.)

Big Red Machine

« Reply #169 on: 18 Oct 2010, 12:05 pm »
Duke's new speakers might be my pick at just over that price point.  Easy to drive.  Non-bipole version is less but they weren't at the show.  A bigger room would probably do them more justice but very nice overall.

Man, I hated those things.  I thought they were very glaring and overall something I would never listen to for more than 2 minutes.  Did you make it home okay?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #170 on: 18 Oct 2010, 12:09 pm »
No, BS you're both wrong. The Berning Amp performed admirably on the Daedalus speakers with the Ulysses. The freakin Atmaspheres were solely to blame and that is the end of it. You can argue that it was a "bad match" but wow, 4 out of 4 rooms I listened to with Atmaspheres were a "bad match"? Damn what are the odds?

And also LOL! Putting OUTPUT TRANSFORMERS into a OUTPUT TRANSFORMER-LESS tube amp? That's like eating a tortilla with a naked burrito.  :rotflmao:

Agree.  When Woodsyi and I were in the last room that had Daedelus speakers with the First Sound preamp and Berning OTL, it was magic and made those speakers sing.  Most musical room of the show for me.  Graceful and effortless combination.  All the other rooms with D speakers were tipped up in treble and gave me a headache after 5 minutes.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #171 on: 18 Oct 2010, 12:12 pm »
Dude, seriously, the DESIGNER of the Atma's was in the room working on them.  If there was anything needed like the autoformers, don't you think the f'ing designer would have insisted on them?

:o  WOW!  I've been looking for a pair of Atma-Sphere amps...now you got me nervous.   :scratch:  Zybar has a pair of MA-1's and loves them.  I've never heard someone so negative about them. 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #172 on: 18 Oct 2010, 12:16 pm »

Empirical Audio - The Salk Soundscapes and the BPT power conditioners also shared this room.  What can I say, Steve has GREAT taste in music :D  Several tracks of Mahler and I'm a very happy boy!  Now, understand that I am a dyed in the wool tube guy, and this system is completely solid state.  To make matters worse, I absolutely hate metal and ceramic midrange drivers.  Of course the Soundscapes use a ceramic mid with an all SS system in front of them.  Oh, you can hear me groaning to myself already!  How did it sound?  Suprisingly good!!  While I would prefer a richer tonal balance (being a paper driver and tube guy), I thought the soundstage depth and separation was outstanding, and the overall coherence was also very impressive.  I might not be an SS/Ceramic guy, but for those people that are, this is the system for you!!!  Details out the wazoo and the speakers did not sound "short", even though they are physically short.

Here's another way of looking at this room's sound - I think what salvaged the sound WAS the speakers given the all SS/digital sources & amplification in the system.  Bryan had the room tuned pretty good.  It was passable and some tunes were very fun to listen to.  Stopped in there a dozen times and saw many folks turn their nose up at the tune selection and turn right around and leave.  I've heard these speakers a million times and if we could have gotten the Purity preamp and a tubed dac in there we would have been over the top.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #173 on: 18 Oct 2010, 12:18 pm »
I spent a decent amount of time in the Rogue room because a friend was interested in the OMA turntable and the mono cart (forget the brand of cart) and was also high on my list with the Revel Salon speakers. I heard a mono version of Ben Webster's Soulville in this room and it was some of the best music I heard.  I never heard Rogue gear before RMAF and I was impressed with the sound. A number of rooms were real peaky and this room was not.  I was talking to one of the guys manning the room and he said they spent a lot of time setting up the room and it paid off imo.

I just auditioned that Athena pre a few weeks back and it was fantastic.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #174 on: 18 Oct 2010, 12:22 pm »
The mystery speaker #1 is the Coincident Pure Reference Extreme (T) speaker.  It is $26k.  It is supposed to be good but for 26 it should be.  The sensitivity is 94 db.

How did they sound?

Bob

Glaring to me.  That was a 30 second stay!

Mariusz

« Reply #175 on: 18 Oct 2010, 12:24 pm »
:o  WOW!  I've been looking for a pair of Atma-Sphere amps...now you got me nervous.   :scratch:  Zybar has a pair of MA-1's and loves them.  I've never heard someone so negative about them.
Listen before you buy then. Atma-Sphere are very well build amps but they never impressed me. Maybe I haven't heard them in the right system. :scratch:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #176 on: 18 Oct 2010, 12:30 pm »
A big thank you to all for the outstanding coverage. I have seen a couple of mentions of Revel and Wilson. How did they stack up to the Salks, Vandys and C4s???

Wilson's are overrated in my book and did nothing special on the two rooms I listened to.  But brand recognition means they're good, right?  And I was hoping for good things from the few rooms with Revels but left unimpressed with their sound.  The Vandersteen 7's were the best of show for me.  Sure they had $100k of electronics driving them, but I could imagine me being able to drive them just as well and they seemed to do everything well.  Coherent from top to bottom with no missing pieces.  Loved them!!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #177 on: 18 Oct 2010, 12:39 pm »
Dude, seriously, the DESIGNER of the Atma's was in the room working on them.  If there was anything needed like the autoformers, don't you think the f'ing designer would have insisted on them?

No, not at all.  And it doesn't surprise me in the least.  Sometimes designers are just so focused they cannot see the forest for the trees.  Case in point, most speaker designers I talk to about diffraction are totally clueless and ignorant about it.  When asked how they deal with it, they just draw blank or ignore the question altogether.  Then there's the matter of cables and the break in phenomena, which some electronic designers (okay I can only think of one) who will say that stuff doesn't make the least bit of difference.  There's such a plethora of ignorance, denial and stupidity in high places it makes the head spin.

If you read the testimonial page at ZERO Impedance, you'll quickly see that the majority of people who buy these are using OTL amplifiers.  And there's a good reason for that despite the blissful ignorance of the designer.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #178 on: 18 Oct 2010, 12:43 pm »
Hearing chairguy get drunk off his ass and go on and on about how spectacular the mushrooms are was immensely enjoyable.  And hearing woodsyi chew out both the manager and the wine guy to their face was absolutely priceless!!! 

I TOTALLY missed that as I was, apparently, drunk off my ass :o

For the most part, I agree with your lengthy summary of things (keeping in mind I only spent half the time at the show you have and it was my first)

Nola - Yup, was running out of there.  My buddy Jon made me stay because he thought it impolite to leave immediately after filling out their raffle/free drawing. I gotta' believe it was room or equipment related issues that made a speaker with such pedigree and accolades sound like hell; but it was a place I wanted to bolt from in the first three seconds there.

FritzSpeakers - Good, just damn good.  Maybe that Modwright modded OPPO is wonderful, but it would never be able to make up for lousy speakers and, bro, I thought the room sounded great.  Fritz is no fan of metal drivers and I keep finding much the same in my audio travels.

JBL Horn - Another huge speaker in a small room - oh, no, it's gonna' suuuuuuuck...and, it DIDN'T (at all).  Sounded very fine in there....damned if I know how those alchemists did it :scratch:

Linkwitz - I really wanted to like this room too (Dr. Linkwitz lives up the road from me and has offered to do a demo for me in the past at his place...I've not taken him up on it).  Unfortunately, there was some 127 year old reviewer requesting so-so sounding CD's...so we all had to be too completely quiet while said centenarian listened to his mp3-like drivel.  So, what I heard sucked...but it may have been the particular circumstance rather than the product itself. 

High Emotion Audio - I'm a big Lineaum fan...I rarely hear treble as faithfully naturally rendered as the Linaeum tweeters can (I own modded Linaeum Towers....and were it not for their thin, light and poorly braced and damped cabinetry, would be the giant killer of giant killers.  As it stands they are merely competent budget speaker with an amazing tweeter).  The Pyra Bella had two (I think, proprietery) figure-8 shaped tweeters that the designer indicated operated more alike than different from the Linaeums.  Wide open sounding at the top and well integrated woofer/midwoofer cones.  Both my buddy Jon and I were impressed with the sound. It was $10K for the stereo pair we were listening to...so, no giveaway deals here, but there were alot of pricier speakers at this show that sounded poor, too.

John

Big Red Machine

« Reply #179 on: 18 Oct 2010, 01:13 pm »
Here's a Harry Pearson story for you:  I was first to board the Supershuttle at 8 Am Sunday morning and grabbed the shotgun location for the comfort(legroom).  The driver said he was full up with 10 passengers so that meant we had no stops on the way to the airport.  Folks start showing up for the bus and just about everybody is on board when Harry comes out with an entourage and takes one look at the shuttle and says, "Is THAT what you ordered for me?" in disgust.  A fellow in the group says yes that he prepaid for this.  Harry looks around and sees an empty bus in front of us from a competing company and asks how much to ride.  He hears it is only about $20 and decides to take the more empty shuttle so he doesn't have to squeeze in with the common people.  I'm wondering how many folks actually got on that bus and how many stops the driver made to fill it up as they want to pack them full for maximizing revenues.  Maybe he was driving all around Denver for an hour.

I'd heard stories about this guy and this firsthand experience validated some of those traits he has been known for.  Interesting.