Does anyone BBQ a whole Turkey? (Grilldome, Big Green Egg or Smoker)

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
With Thanksgiving coming up and my new Grilldone I thought it would be nice to do it outside this year.

Has anyone done it?  If so, how was it?

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
JTWRACE:

My grandmother used to bbq a whole turkey for Thanksgiving every Thanksgiving, rain or shine and in generally cold-for-that-time of the year, Ohio.

She used an old, generic domed charcoal grill with old school briquettes.

Nothing fancy but the turkey always came out delicious.

Gives me a great reason to call her up. I'm sure she will be up to sharing her simple and secret recipe!

- David.

dmatt

Yes (kind of -- roasted, not grilled), and it was fantastic.

Spit roasted using a Weber Genesis gas grill.

Brine the bird, pat dry, rub cavity with lemon.
Made a compound butter and put pats of it between the skin and meat.  Salt and pepper the skin.
Trussed and tied to the spit.
Used indirect heat (I used the outside burners and left the burner directly under the bird off)
Put a drip pan under the bird and poured some stock in it.
Used foil packets of soaked hardwood (mesquite or hickory) directly on the lit burners.
Cooked with the lid down until the thigh meat was at proper temp.

Used drip pan drippings to finish the apple thyme gravy.

Cooked the stuffings and dressings in the oven.

I can provide more details and recipes if you like.  If you are doing a whole bird on a grill, I think the basics are indirect heat, drip pan, smoke.

Good luck.

David

(Why am I suddenly hungry for a turkey sandwich?)

Mama Virtue

My dad smokes a Turkey every year with Mesquite wood from his yard. Only advice I have is make sure turkey is completely thawed and start it earlier then you would an oven turkey, at least with the smoker, I swear every year my dad starts it later forgetting it takes 4-6 hrs depending on the size. So 4PM dinner becomes 6PM  :roll:

Wayner

I've done it many, many times with a Weber Charcoal grill. Put charcoal on one end of the lower grate. Place bird on the side with no coals under it. It takes about 14 minutes per pound, larger birds will require additional charcoal.

Wayner

JuanR

I do with the big easy from charbroiled, is a infrared oven, will take as long as smoker ,but you have the taste of deep fry without the oil, I got from Lowes. but you can buy from there website.

vinyl_lady

I've done it many times with the rotesserie attachment on the middle ring. Takes 4 to 6 hours depending on the size of the bird. Absolutely delicious!

All cast iron and easy to control the heat. I soak hickory, mesquite and sassafrass wood and put the soaked wook on the coals for smoke flavor :thumb:

mbakes

I deep fried the turkeys last year, which was a big hit but this year I will be using this:

turkey

With Thanksgiving coming up and my new Grilldone I thought it would be nice to do it outside this year.

Has anyone done it?  If so, how was it?

Take it from me, it's excellent.  :thumb:

I've also done turkeys in the smoker, and had deep-fried turkey at a friend's house. They're all good, but so is just roasting it in the oven and having your entire house filled with that wonderful smell. It always takes me back to when I was a kid and I was waiting for the turkey to be done.

Charles Calkins

I do mine on a CharGriller with a rotisserie. Got it at Lowe's a couple of years ago.  Been doing it since 1963. Not Chargriller then I think our first one was a round type with a hood. So long ago I can't remember the make.

Anyhow I stuff the bird with sauteed onions,celery. Mix it all in with bread stuffing.Salt,pepper,Bells poultry seasoning and a 10oz bottle of chopped oysters. Stuff the bird and tie it up with string as if you were going to send it over seas. When you put the rotisserie rod into the bird make sure you penetrate the breast bone. That will give a solid grip so the bird doesn't flop around while it's going around and around.

I can only do about an 11lb. bird. Heavier bird causes the rod to bend. Not good. Puts a strain on the rotisserie motor.

It takes about five hours to cook. Start out with a dozen or so coals and add a dozen about every twenty minutes. You'll use about five pounds of coals. If your grill has a temp. gauge try and keep it at 225 or so.  Low and slow gets the best results. It'll need basting the last hour or so.

And last but not the least!!! Don't forget the MARTINI'S Five of them for you should be enough.

Cheers
                                              Charlie

jakelieb

Hi Jason,

I've been smoking turkeys for 25-30 years, Thanksgiving and Christmas, and they always turn out great.  Juicy and lots of smokey flavor. 

Some people like to brine the bird first. I just season with my favorite spices and use indirect heat.  I mainly use hickory, but cherry and apple give it a different flavor.  The better half got me and injector for my birthday so I may try to inject some spices this year to see how that turns out.  Anyone have any recommendations?

Bought a smoker a couple of years ago and it is even better than the grill.  Start early and if it is cold it will take an hour or 2 or 3 extra.  You know this NC weather it can be hot or cold in Nov and Dec.  Just remember low and slow and lots of smoke!!

Lowe's here in Huntersville has a ceramic egg type cooker.  Forgot what brand it is.

Jake

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
I already own a Grilldome.   :thumb:

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
I already own a Grilldome.

Are all the posters getting an invite?   :lol:

Per Charles' recommendation, I'll contribute the "10oz bottle of chopped oysters."

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
Are all the posters getting an invite?   :lol:

Per Charles' recommendation, I'll contribute the "10oz bottle of chopped oysters."

Be careful what you wish for...

Bigfish

I hope you are enjoying your Grill Dome since I am the guy that recommended it. 

I have cooked Turkeys on my Grill Dome for the past three years.  Your wife will be happy as it frees up her oven to cook all the other dishes and eveyone will love the Turkey you prepare. 

Brine the bird (there are good recipes on the Grill Dome Site). 
Use the indirect cooking method (use small grate with stone or bricks below main grate that holds the turkey).
I cook mine at around 275 degrees until the proper cooked tempt. is achieved.

Ken

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
I hope you are enjoying your Grill Dome since I am the guy that recommended it. 
I love it!   :thumb:  Just wish I could solve the hinge issue...

Use the indirect cooking method (use small grate with stone or bricks below main grate that holds the turkey).

I cook mine at around 275 degrees until the proper cooked tempt. is achieved.
Should I use the tripod grate?  The one that can go on top to create another level?  What is the best way for indirect heat on the GD?

Bigfish

Should I use the tripod grate?  The one that can go on top to create another level?  What is the best way for indirect heat on the GD?

Yes, the tripod grate will sit on top of the main grate or hang below it.  When you want to use an indirect cooking method hang the tripod grate below the main grate.  Place some fire bricks of pizza stone on it to prevent direct heat from contacting the meat you place on the main grate.  If you have not slow cooked a Boston Butt on your Grill Dome you are in for a real treat!

Sorry to hear you are having a problem with the hinge.  Is the issue with adjustment or a faulty hinge?

Good Luck,

Ken

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
Yes, the tripod grate will sit on top of the main grate or hang below it.  When you want to use an indirect cooking method hang the tripod grate below the main grate.  Place some fire bricks of pizza stone on it to prevent direct heat from contacting the meat you place on the main grate. 
OK.  I will try it soon.

If you have not slow cooked a Boston Butt on your Grill Dome you are in for a real treat!
I've always wondered what you do with a Boston Red Sox fan.  Thanks for the tip!

Sorry to hear you are having a problem with the hinge.  Is the issue with adjustment or a faulty hinge?
Still trying to figure it all out...
Ashish gave me a part to try.  I just need to do it.

jakelieb

Check out Barbecue Bible website for newsletters. This one is about smoking turkey:

http://www.barbecuebible.com/newsletter/2009_11/18_up_in_smoke_for.php

Enjoy

turkey

eveyone will love the Turkey you prepare. 

Awwww... I love you guys too. hehe

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :)