GedLee Abbey's Feedback Wanted!

Bear

Re: GedLee Abbey's Feedback Wanted!
« Reply #620 on: 19 Dec 2010, 05:41 am »
Thank you jtwrace

Very cool of you to share your experience.  Do you plan on an aluminum Abbey to match your current subs?

If you don't mind, may I ask what your current system consists of? 

gedlee

• GedLee LLC
« Reply #621 on: 19 Dec 2010, 06:17 am »
Hi,

I thought the frequency range of human hearing is from 20Hz - 20KHz?   

I think that is a common misunderstanding.  It is extrmeley rare, even in young people, to find someone with hearing (by this I mean within 6 dB of flat) to 20 kHz.  By the time you are 40 thats dropped to a likely max of about 10 kHz.  But all of that aside, studies have shown that few people will detect a LP filter at about 8-10 kHz.  In nature anything above about 8 kHz is attenuated at a very high rate with distance.  This means that there is very little in nature above these frequencies and so there would be very little natural reinforcement for our hearing to develop that high.  Smaller animals (cats, mice), that operate on much shorter distance scales, have very highly developed hearing above 10 kHz.  But we don't.  The fact is that frequencies above 10 Khz really have almost nothing to do with sound quality.

gedlee

• GedLee LLC
« Reply #622 on: 19 Dec 2010, 06:22 am »
I would add that I had a spot between 16.5-17.5khz I think where I could not hear anything.  Also I don't have any idea how accurate the equipment they use is.

Bear - there isn't a piece of audiological equipment made that tests above 8 kHz.  So whatever you are talking about was certainly not done by a professional.  Lidia teachs audiology and she laughs when people talk about hearing above 10 kHz.  She points out that qualified test equipment for this frequency range does not exist, so anyone making such a claim is guessing - at best.

gedlee

• GedLee LLC
« Reply #623 on: 19 Dec 2010, 06:28 am »
Do you plan on an aluminum Abbey to match your current subs?

Bear - why the sarchasm?

Bear

« Reply #624 on: 19 Dec 2010, 06:59 am »
Bear - why the sarchasm?

no sarchasm intended :scratch:

I feel it is a valid question.  The guy built some amazing sub enclosures using aluminum.

refer to the variations portion on wikipedia link below(it mentions high frequency audiometry):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pure_tone_audiometry

Also you can find audiometry equipment that exceeds 20khz on the web with a quick google search. Just FYI

I originally made the statement concerning the hf roll off in jest and find myself to be incorrect, soooooo can we keep our hubris in check and keep the thread on topic please. :thumb:

Dr. Geddes, I appreciate you taking the time to answer questions and share information, I am but a casual listener and music enthusiast, I am not an expert in sound reproduction, heck im not even a novice, and am in no way disparaging you or your design, so with all do respect, don't take any of my comments personal, lighten up.:thumb:

A touring pair would be a cool idea, most people will invite their friends and fellow audiophiles over for group listening sessions.  fwiw.  Glad to hear business is brisk for you.  As an aside, based on your endorsement on your Gedlee Forum I should have a pair of Ultimate Ear 10's by tuesday.

Thank You

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #625 on: 19 Dec 2010, 08:05 am »
Ya know jwtrace, in some cases, things just really are better :)  That's the case with the Abbeys, they really are better than most anything out there.  I'm amazed that they are so inexpensive, honestly.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #626 on: 19 Dec 2010, 01:15 pm »
Do you plan on an aluminum Abbey to match your current subs?
A big NO.

If you don't mind, may I ask what your current system consists of?
Mac Mini with Amarra (8GB RAM & SSD) > Wavelength Crimson (Denominator) > Dodd Buffer > Ashly 3.24CL (active crossover) > Copland DRC > Clayton M-300 > my diy'er 3 way (Scan Speak woofer, Accuton C-79 mid with Fountek Ribbon) with two Rythmik subs.  All DH Labs Revelation interconnects, Q-10 speaker wire and DH Power cords.  All powered using the PI Audio MuthaBuss which is powered from a dedicated line.  And most importantly room treatments by GIK.

ctviggen

« Reply #627 on: 19 Dec 2010, 01:27 pm »
I think that is a common misunderstanding.  It is extrmeley rare, even in young people, to find someone with hearing (by this I mean within 6 dB of flat) to 20 kHz.  By the time you are 40 thats dropped to a likely max of about 10 kHz.  But all of that aside, studies have shown that few people will detect a LP filter at about 8-10 kHz.  In nature anything above about 8 kHz is attenuated at a very high rate with distance.  This means that there is very little in nature above these frequencies and so there would be very little natural reinforcement for our hearing to develop that high.  Smaller animals (cats, mice), that operate on much shorter distance scales, have very highly developed hearing above 10 kHz.  But we don't.  The fact is that frequencies above 10 Khz really have almost nothing to do with sound quality.

I don't know about that range for over 40; I'm over 40 and my hearing didn't test that poorly.  On the other hand, my niece had a telephone "ring" that was a high frequency, and I had to be within a few feet of the phone to hear it, while our 2 yo old daughter and niece could hear it from many feet away.

As for the tour, I have to admit that I wouldn't buy these speakers unless I heard them first.  I've never heard small speakers that come close to full range.  Plus, having to buy 3-4 subs -- and spending the time to tune them -- means that the speakers would have to be stellar.  I have two subs and don't have the time to tune both of them, let alone tune another 1-2 subs. 

These speakers have so many positive reviews that I'd consider them, but having to fork out 6k just to try them isn't what I'd like to do. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #628 on: 19 Dec 2010, 01:31 pm »
Ya know jwtrace, in some cases, things just really are better :)  That's the case with the Abbeys, they really are better than most anything out there.  I'm amazed that they are so inexpensive, honestly.

Yes they are.  If anyone is looking at speakers they should at least try to give them a listen.  As for cost, yes, they're a bargain considering they come built, ready to go.  I really don't see the benefit to buying the kit.  The engineering behind them is very intense. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #629 on: 19 Dec 2010, 01:33 pm »
I don't know about that range for over 40; I'm over 40 and my hearing didn't test that poorly.  On the other hand, my niece had a telephone "ring" that was a high frequency, and I had to be within a few feet of the phone to hear it, while our 2 yo old daughter and niece could hear it from many feet away.

As for the tour, I have to admit that I wouldn't buy these speakers unless I heard them first.  I've never heard small speakers that come close to full range.  Plus, having to buy 3-4 subs -- and spending the time to tune them -- means that the speakers would have to be stellar.  I have two subs and don't have the time to tune both of them, let alone tune another 1-2 subs. 

These speakers have so many positive reviews that I'd consider them, but having to fork out 6k just to try them isn't what I'd like to do.

The good news is that you take the measurements with HOLMpulse and send the file to Dr. Geddes and he will send the tuning required for the active crossover.  You can do that or you can just do it the REW way.  If you purchase speakers and subs from him that's a service that he provides to make it easier.

« Last Edit: 19 Dec 2010, 02:35 pm by jtwrace »

Bear

« Reply #630 on: 19 Dec 2010, 03:08 pm »
A big NO.
Mac Mini with Amarra (8GB RAM & SSD) > Wavelength Crimson (Denominator) > Dodd Buffer > Ashly 3.24CL (active crossover) > Copland DRC > Clayton M-300 > my diy'er 3 way (Scan Speak woofer, Accuton C-79 mid with Fountek Ribbon) with two Rythmik subs.  All DH Labs Revelation interconnects, Q-10 speaker wire and DH Power cords.  All powered using the PI Audio MuthaBuss which is powered from a dedicated line.  And most importantly room treatments by GIK.

WOW! :drool:

dwr

« Reply #631 on: 19 Dec 2010, 03:22 pm »
Thats one nice system you have put together Jason, but now the fun really begins, the WAIT until you get the speakers in that room, and believe me when I tell you the days will feel like weeks  :lol:

Dan

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #632 on: 19 Dec 2010, 04:20 pm »
  Jason,
           Anad made a statement that it is a first row presentation. Is the sound forward say in front of the speaker plane ? Does the soundstage have any depth ? Image size meaning life sized. Was the presentation thin or dry ? Rich ? Was there controlled sibilance with female and male vocals ? Was the top end crisp or natural ?
  I know an in home demo with my gear will be the only true test. A general discription of the questions would be appreciated.

thanks
charles

dwr

« Reply #633 on: 19 Dec 2010, 04:50 pm »
Hi Charles,

I am not going to try and answer any of your questions here, I'll let Jason try that. What I will say is that your last two sentences say it all, until you hear these speakers in person you will not get a firm grasp of how they perform by someone writing in words how they sound, maybe Jason can speak to that point as he has now heard the speakers after getting all the spoken word description attempts before hearing them.

Dan

dwr

« Reply #634 on: 19 Dec 2010, 04:55 pm »
BTW Charles, that is an awesome looking system you have there!!!!!

Dan

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #635 on: 19 Dec 2010, 05:00 pm »
  Jason,
           Anad made a statement that it is a first row presentation. Is the sound forward say in front of the speaker plane ? Does the soudstage have any depth ? Image size meaning life sized. Was the presentation thin or dry ? Rich ? Was there controlled sibilance with female and male vocals ? Was the top end crisp or natural ?
  I know an in home demo with my gear will be the only true test. A general discription of the questions would be appreciated.

thanks
charles

My thoughts exactly.  With the caveat that Jason has stated numerous times writing is not his first passion (I think he does quite well), I'd like to see an expansion of his impressions vis a vis more traditional audio reviews.  Yes, I know it's called purple prose but we all understand the terminology, soundstage width and height, imaging, tonality, macro and micro-dynamics, voicing, frequency response, coherency, etc.  In other words, MORE!   

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #636 on: 19 Dec 2010, 05:27 pm »
  Jason,
           Anad made a statement that it is a first row presentation. Is the sound forward say in front of the speaker plane ? Does the soudstage have any depth ? Image size meaning life sized. Was the presentation thin or dry ? Rich ? Was there controlled sibilance with female and male vocals ? Was the top end crisp or natural ?

thanks
charles

Charles,

That statement in my opinion is that you are there in a LIVE SET.  The sound isn't fake.  The width, height, depth is real.  It really is.  Like any speaker the recording quality will dictate how good it comes across.  This is not to say that poor quality recordings can't be enjoyed, I personally found them very much enjoyable and fun to listen to.  The good ones though will knock you on your a$$ from giggling so much because it's real.

As for the top end, for me it's just right.  I'm very top end sensitive and the Abbeys just do it right.  The overall tone and balance is so darn good it's scary. 

Like any speaker, I urge you to go listen to these properly setup.  If you do, you will hear what I'm attempting to say.  I always find these things difficult to type so it reads like I hear.  If that makes any sense....  These speakers are different and unlike anything I've heard at all price points.  I've made it clear in other postings that the Kaiser Speaker from Germany was something that I seriously considered.  Then I got smart.   :D  I have no doubt that those speakers would NOT sound as good as I heard them in my room.  The great thing about the GedLee speakers is that they don't require massive amounts of space around them in a large room.  In fact, they are suited for a "normal" listening space.  Of course, if you have a large ballroom, you'll be in heaven becuase they can still fill that space as they love to be cranked.  The driver doesn't move...

Does this help you any?

EDIT:
I was a long time electostat owner.  From ML's to Final Sound.  It was said to me "these are like stats with balls".  I didn't really understand what that meant until I heard them.  Now it makes sense but I'll add that they have the great things about stats but without the negatives.

dwr

« Reply #637 on: 19 Dec 2010, 05:53 pm »
Jason, from another former electrostatic owner, I agree with your last statement 100%.

Dan

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #638 on: 19 Dec 2010, 06:07 pm »
With the caveat that Jason has stated numerous times writing is not his first passion (I think he does quite well

:lol:  I haven't forgotten.   :nono:

I find it funny because I write technical reports at work very often.  The difference is that I'm explaining real data and not my opinion.  I love data! 

OK.  Back to Abbey. 

I'm wondering if Anand will chime in here or if he is just shaking his head reading all of this.   :oops:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #639 on: 19 Dec 2010, 06:36 pm »
One more addition to the listening room supplied from Anand.

The width of the room is about 11.5 feet and the speakers are a 1/2 foot away from the side walls (!) and about 3 feet in front of the front wall. The height of the ceiling varies from 7.5 to 8 feet in the room. There are these giant cross beams behind you on the ceiling that muck things up. Your ears are about 2 feet behind where the speakers cross which is roughly ten feet from each speaker.

What he doesn't mention is that the listening position has a sofa next to a wall this is about 4' to your right.  So the right speaker is in front of the wall 10' away.  The HVAC system also have ducting through the ceiling so the height varries due to that. 

It's a very odd layout but it works and works very well.  When Anand told me that his room was not good this made me want to hear them more in his setting.  If they sound like that in his place I can't imagine what they'll do in a purpose built room like he's planning (that I got to see and plan to live in).  :P