OPPO!

tvyankee

mgalusha

Re: OPPO!
« Reply #1 on: 23 Sep 2010, 10:12 pm »
Of course, I finally decided to get a BD player and ordered the '83 this week.  :roll: Looks very nice tho.

ltr317

« Reply #2 on: 23 Sep 2010, 10:58 pm »
Dave,

Thanks for the info on the new player.  When are you coming to another NY Rave?

Paul

jermmd

« Reply #3 on: 23 Sep 2010, 11:10 pm »
That looks great. If it can wirelessely connect to my network and play movies and music, it's a home run!

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #4 on: 24 Sep 2010, 12:15 am »
It comes loaded with interesting features, freaking awesome!
Nice for a future upgrade...

Ericus Rex

« Reply #5 on: 24 Sep 2010, 11:53 am »
No Stereo RCA outs?!?!  What were these guys thinking?  We audiofools put Oppo on the map and this is how they repay us!   :evil:

tvyankee

« Reply #6 on: 24 Sep 2010, 12:45 pm »
wouldn't the left and right out from the 7.1 output be about the same as stereo out? i think you would just change the base management to off and you would be set.  i could be wrong though.

tvyankee

« Reply #7 on: 24 Sep 2010, 12:46 pm »
oh yeah.  when is the next rave and where is it?

mfsoa

« Reply #8 on: 24 Sep 2010, 01:59 pm »

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 24 Sep 2010, 02:05 pm »
No Stereo RCA outs?!?!  What were these guys thinking?  We audiofools put Oppo on the map and this is how they repay us!   :evil:
An HDMI audio de-embedder (under $50 for some) and a good DAC will likely be better anyway

mhconley

« Reply #10 on: 24 Sep 2010, 03:02 pm »

I guess we'll have to wait for the BDP-93SE? :green:

Martin

Charles Calkins

« Reply #11 on: 16 Nov 2010, 04:34 pm »
I thought that I'd take the plunge and order the Oppo BDP-83 Blu-Ray player. Can't!! It's been discontinued. Lack of parts from suppliers. I got my name on their list for their new BDP-93. Just thought I'd pass this info. along in case somebody is thinking about buying a used BDP-83. Not a smart thing to do.

Cheers
                                                    Charlie

Mike Nomad

« Reply #12 on: 25 Nov 2010, 02:39 am »
I just got my BDP-93. Is there already a dedicated thread, or am I at the right place?

Bemopti123

« Reply #13 on: 25 Nov 2010, 02:56 am »
I thought that I'd take the plunge and order the Oppo BDP-83 Blu-Ray player. Can't!! It's been discontinued. Lack of parts from suppliers. I got my name on their list for their new BDP-93. Just thought I'd pass this info. along in case somebody is thinking about buying a used BDP-83. Not a smart thing to do.

Cheers
                                                    Charlie

With the pace of product development for all manufacturers, while I do understand that a $50 DVD can go South and there will be not much lost, but the prices of the Oppo DVD players have gone up exponentially, I mean, not even twice the price of the older 980-981 units, but almost 3X....and they have problems with the parts suppliers? 

Perhaps I am getting old but I am becoming concerned with the implied idea that a $800 DVD is disposable in the end if any parts fail due to he lack of dedicated parts.  If the 83 had issues with parts supplier problems, why should the newer unit be better in this respect? 

I am just wondering. 

srb

« Reply #14 on: 25 Nov 2010, 02:57 am »
I just got my BDP-93. Is there already a dedicated thread, or am I at the right place?

How did you acquire an Oppo BDP-93?  Beta tester program?  It is supposed to be available Q1 of 2011, and I have registered with Oppo to be notified when available, but have heard nothing yet.

Steve

Mike Nomad

« Reply #15 on: 25 Nov 2010, 04:26 am »

How did you acquire an Oppo BDP-93?  Beta tester program?  It is supposed to be available Q1 of 2011, and I have registered with Oppo to be notified when available, but have heard nothing yet.

Steve

I'm not part of the Beta Testers program. I signed up at their website to be notified when the 93 would be available. Some time later, I got an email with a link to purchase one. The catch: A five day window to make the purchase, and further subject to availability.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #16 on: 25 Nov 2010, 04:49 am »
There's a 55 page thread on AVS Forum about the BDP-93. The last few pages are about people receiving them recently. Looks like a nice player.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #17 on: 25 Nov 2010, 05:18 am »

At RMAF I heard OPPO was discontinuing the BDP 83 & 83SE and that the 93 would not have 2 channel analog output. This is why I ordered the 83 SE as soon as I returned from RMAF and sent it to ModWright to have Dan install his tube mod with the PS-9 power supply. http://www.modwright.com/modifications/19
I was ready to add Blu Ray for concert videos and with Dan's tube mod ensures supurb audio (for digital) :lol:

Mike Nomad

« Reply #18 on: 25 Nov 2010, 05:29 am »
There's a 55 page thread on AVS Forum about the BDP-93. The last few pages are about people receiving them recently. Looks like a nice player.

Slush, thanks for the link. I figured AVS would have something. However, being primarily a 2-channel audio guy, I hang out here.

I guess the first thing I can report: You can't get away with feeding it a file with a .mlp extension.

Phil A

« Reply #19 on: 25 Nov 2010, 02:10 pm »
My BDP-93 is scheduled to arrive on November 30.  It will eventually make its way to the bedroom system.  I currently have an old Oppo DV980H universal and a Samsung 2500 Blu-Ray player in there with a Marantz SR6003 receiver (a Bryston 3BST for the left and right channels) and 3 old Thiel SCS2s up front.  I'm going to eventually get the Google set top box for the bedroom too and the bedroom backs to the main system so I can interconnect things.

When I get the BDP-93 it will probably sit in my main system for about a month.  I have a Modwright BDP-83 along with a Bryston DAC and an HDMI audio de-embedder.  I want to see how the BDP-93 performs.  I don't use the bedroom system tons and if for some reason the BDP-93 works out better in the main system, I can always amend my plans.