OPPO!

Phil A

Re: OPPO!
« Reply #40 on: 18 Dec 2010, 02:07 pm »
I assume the firmware will get pushed down via online updates too?  I plan to try the player out a bit more this weekend.  I only had it hooked 2-channel analog and HDMI for video while it was in the main system.  I have a Modwright BDP-83 in the main system.  From what little I looked at, I think the video is improved a bit over the 83 and from memory I think it is probably a bit better on audio vs. the stock 83.  My main system backs to the bedroom system.  I don't have an HDMI pre/pro in the main system at this point but I do have HDMI cables going back and forth.  I have the second output of the Marantz SR6003 in the bedroom going into the main room.  I also have an HDMI audio de-embedder and hope to have the opportunity to try to use the 93 with my Bryston DAC in the main system and see if there are differences on stripping out hi-rez PCM and putting them through the DAC.  Just a bit behind on music and movies.  I just got the Google TV box and have that in the bedroom.  I moved out my old Oppo DV980H from the bedroom (will use it in the basement system for SACD and DVD-A) and Samsung Blu-Ray player.  I have the DV980 still to move and the Samsung is on the computer monitor/TV but I have not had an opportunity to set anything up

Mike Nomad

« Reply #41 on: 22 Dec 2010, 04:32 pm »
I assume the firmware will get pushed down via online updates too?  I plan to try the player out a bit more this weekend...

The way it sounded to me, if you have your 93 plugged into the Internet, you should get prompted that a firmware update is available. I don't have networking permanently set-up, and received no prompt.

Phil A

« Reply #42 on: 23 Dec 2010, 12:03 am »
The way it sounded to me, if you have your 93 plugged into the Internet, you should get prompted that a firmware update is available. I don't have networking permanently set-up, and received no prompt.

I'll watch for it.  I didn't get to do much with the 93.  I may be getting a new (used) preamp with HT Bypass and eventually a new processor in the main system and I spent some time corresponding and talking to the seller.  Mine is connected to the network.  I'm looking forward to watch a few movies on it.  I got a used Bryston 3BST for the left and right channel to replace an old Adcom 555 over a month ago and the Google TV box for the bedroom system and I do want to spend some time with it.

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #43 on: 7 Jan 2011, 05:30 pm »
Does anyone know if the 93 and/or 95 will play back 5.1 24/96 FLAC files? 

If you have a 93 or 95 player, download and try some files from 2L and let me know if it works.  Thanks.

http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html

Russ

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #44 on: 10 Jan 2011, 10:56 pm »
I'm not sure if folks are aware bu the new 93 and 95 machines are Linux-based, and talking with Casey and Jason (NuForce) at CES they are stating that the NuForce and Nuforce Extreme Editions (their upgraded models) are easier/more stable to mod and more to improve due to the better Linux base code. 

I noticed that the new player's audio setup is still lacking in basic flexibility (i.e still no speakers further than mains) but now Oppo has incorporated a variable sub crossover (40Hz / 60Hz / 80Hz / 90Hz / 100Hz / 110Hz / 120Hz / 150Hz / 200Hz / 250Hz) vs the 83's fixed 80 hz crossover. 

If someone can confirm the DSD-to-PCM sample rate (likely still 24/88khz) please post here.  Thanks

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #45 on: 10 Jan 2011, 11:21 pm »
Ted
I sent an e-mail to Oppo today asking that specific question.
Mark

golfugh

« Reply #46 on: 11 Jan 2011, 02:14 pm »
Here's the answer:

SACD is either sent as native DSD or can be sent as a DSD to PCM conversion. The DSD to PCM conversion is done at 24-bit/88.2KHz.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #47 on: 11 Jan 2011, 02:46 pm »
Thanks Mark.  Well, the more flexible crossover choices is a nice plus, but was hoping for 24/176.  :)

golfugh

« Reply #48 on: 11 Jan 2011, 03:35 pm »
So was I!  You'd have thought they would have added per speaker pair crossover flexibility - at least on the 95.

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #49 on: 11 Jan 2011, 04:22 pm »
So was I!  You'd have thought they would have added per speaker pair crossover flexibility - at least on the 95.

Especially since the 95 (and 83SE) are being marketed specifically to customer who do not have or want their HT receiver or processor to handle the D-A and other processing.  :duh:

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #50 on: 17 Jan 2011, 11:40 pm »
Has anyone here compared the 83/83SE to the 93? 
I'm buying a player for a small-ish bedroom system for my better half and want her to have some decent sound.
A grand for the 95 is a bit much for what it'll be used for, though.