V1 vs V2 the match to come by Guy 13

Guy 13

V1 vs V2 the match to come by Guy 13
« on: 20 Sep 2010, 02:37 pm »
Hi all.
I have purchased from Danny at GR Research both V-1 and V-2 Venuette.
The V-1 is completed and running and the V-2 only need the wiring to be completed, which should be done within a week or two.
I will do a side by side comparaison and share with you my findings.
Here are preview pictures of my two pairs of monsters (In size only).
Yes, I know my V-2 look like V-2 on steroids...
No, the model is not my wife and not my girl friend either, it's my niece that was nice enough to help me to give a size ratio of my units.   
Write to you later.
Guy 13.

ebag4

Re: V1 vs V2 the match to come by Guy 13
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2010, 02:46 pm »
I look forward to the comparison Guy.

Interesting that the V2 appears to be wider than the V1.  Are you concerned with the impact on the response the additional width around the coax of the V2 may have?

Best,
Ed

Guy 13

« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2010, 03:15 pm »
I look forward to the comparison Guy.

Interesting that the V2 appears to be wider than the V1.  Are you concerned with the impact on the response the additional width around the coax of the V2 may have?

Best,
Ed
Hi Ed.
The V-2 is almost 18" wide and the V-1 is 15" wide.
Why is it like that ? Well no real logical reason, I made my own dimmensions...
I will glue some absorbing material all around the coaxial driver and the same for the bass driver's H frame.
In a few weeks I will post pictures of the V-2 100% completed.
I am quite aware that my V-2 is far from being perfect or according to Danny's specifications, but I consider this V-2 a prototype or an experimental unit. The next one will be better.
Also here a picture of the AS-1 plate amplifier from GR Research and in the background Danny's crossover.
Thanks.
Guy 13.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2010, 03:26 pm »
...here a picture of the AS-1 plate amplifier from GR Research and in the background Danny's crossover.

Nice work!  That looks geat.  :thumb:

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2010, 03:33 pm »
You might seriously consider replacing the egg crate foam with something much more dense.  Danny's No- Rez isn't cheap, but it is good stuff.  Even a double layer of carpet padding is much better than egg crate foam.  Also, changing the baffle will cause other audible effects. 

Wind Chaser

« Reply #5 on: 20 Sep 2010, 03:33 pm »
I consider this V-2 a prototype or an experimental unit. The next one will be better.

Looks like you put a lot of effort into making them look good.  I like the finish.

ebag4

« Reply #6 on: 20 Sep 2010, 03:41 pm »
I like the way you handled the sub amp!

Thanks for the pics.

Best,
Ed

Guy 13

« Reply #7 on: 20 Sep 2010, 03:44 pm »
Looks like you put a lot of effort into making them look good.  I like the finish.
Hi (Again) Wind Chaser.
I did not do the wood work myself, I don't have the tools for that, instead a Vietnamse cabinet maker did them for me and for only 280 USD for a pair. (Wood and labor) he even drove 20 km to come to my house to fix F.O.C a mistake that he made on the opening of the coaxial driver, it was a little too small.
I am getting another pair made (As H frame sub woofers only) and if the cabinet maker has listen to me carefully, the wood will be painted white, instead of the pell back wall paper stuff...
By making more I will get better...
Guy 13 in Vietnam, but from Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Guy 13

« Reply #8 on: 20 Sep 2010, 03:51 pm »
You might seriously consider replacing the egg crate foam with something much more dense.  Danny's No- Rez isn't cheap, but it is good stuff.  Even a double layer of carpet padding is much better than egg crate foam.  Also, changing the baffle will cause other audible effects.
Hi Clark.
The egg crate foam was the only thing available at the time of building those, I thought it was better than nothing ?
With my next GR Research order for the N-3 kit, I will order from Danny of few sheet of his No Rez foam.
By the way, double layer of carpet padding is almost unheard of in Vietnam, there are now slowly introducing carpet in this country. Vietnam is so humid that carpet will rothen, they use ceramic almost everywhere.
The carpet I have in my house, I brought from my home country Canada.
Thanks for your advice.
Guy 13 from hot (35C) and humid (70%) Vietnam.

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #9 on: 20 Sep 2010, 04:15 pm »
If I had access to a cab builder that would do that for 300 bucks........
Seems to me I spent 300 on router bits.

It will be interesting to hear your take on both the Vs.
I didnt place anything around my subs....I cant see them being any tighter sounding than they are now. But maybe I'll do a little experimenting. If you saw the shipping rates from Texas to Alberta
you would understand why there is none.(no-rez)

One of the great things about the DIY builders is they all have their own take on how things should
should be assembled, or how the finished product should look. I know when I built mine I changed the shape of the side panels. The inspiration for them actually came from the GR logo.

I love to see how others builds come out......its one of the reasons I frequent this site so often.
OH....and to see what Danny has up his sleeve of course!

Perry

chlorofille

• 8'' MTM with scanspeak 21w8554 & D2904 7100
« Reply #10 on: 20 Sep 2010, 04:26 pm »

Perry

Labour is quite cheap from where I come from too(Malaysia). Guy13, who is from a neighbouring can surely delight in that too. Still, I am so cheap that I prefer to build stuff myself  :lol:
Am predicting that guy13 will prefer the V2.

guy13: Waiting for the match to begin !! :bounce:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #11 on: 21 Sep 2010, 12:11 am »
If you saw the shipping rates from Texas to Alberta

Hi Perry,

I don't think it would add that much cost if it were shipped with the original order.  Where abouts in Alberta do you live?

John

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #12 on: 21 Sep 2010, 12:46 am »
Hey Wind.....Just outside of Edmonton.
When I purchased my kit from Danny he was still tweaking it. The no-rez wasnt
an option at the time. Mine is the first version with the rear firing tweeter.

Not sure why shipping is so costly from Texas.....something tells me it was only a fraction of what Guy
spent though  :o

NeilT

« Reply #13 on: 21 Sep 2010, 02:33 am »
Hi Guy 13, thanks for posting the pics.
Always a pleasure to see build pics.
Nice looking speakers and anxious to hear you review.

Neil

Wind Chaser

« Reply #14 on: 21 Sep 2010, 02:50 am »

SNIP

Not sure why shipping is so costly from Texas.....something tells me it was only a fraction of what Guy

It's a known fact that Albertans are among the richest people on the planet.  Therefore couriers charge more to deliver there, especially when the goods are coming from Texas.

There's a possibility I might go to Edmonton next month to visit family and friends.  I could pack my Dayens Ampino along for the ride, that is if you'd be into letting me hear your V1s?

Guy 13

« Reply #15 on: 21 Sep 2010, 04:34 am »
I like the way you handled the sub amp!

Thanks for the pics.

Best,
Ed
Hi Ed.
No pictures, no fun !
No pictures, no interest !
No pictures, no details !
I would like to see pictures with every tread AC members write.
Now that I know how to include pictures in my treads, I like to include pictures with all of them. I will try...
Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #16 on: 21 Sep 2010, 04:44 am »

It will be interesting to hear your take on both the Vs.
I didnt place anything around my subs....I cant see them being any tighter sounding than they are now. But maybe I'll do a little experimenting. If you saw the shipping rates from Texas to Alberta

One of the great things about the DIY builders is they all have their own take on how things should
should be assembled, or how the finished product should look. I know when I built mine I changed the shape of the side panels. The inspiration for them actually came from the GR logo.

I love to see how others builds come out......its one of the reasons I frequent this site so often.
OH....and to see what Danny has up his sleeve of course!

Perry
Hi Perry.
Getting all the necessary power tools, clamps, saw bench, etc... to get a good job done on the enclosures, would probably cost me more than 1,000 USD. What do you think ? Does that number make sense ?
Plus, I need to get back my garage space, my wife is now renting it to her sister for free... Grrr...
I also tried with and without the foam around the subs and could not see a big difference or even a small difference in sound. I will do more testing with the V-2 since they don't have yet the foam installed.
I like to experiment and also I try to make everything simple.
Guy 13

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #17 on: 21 Sep 2010, 04:46 am »
Hi Ed.
No pictures, no fun !
No pictures, no interest !
No pictures, no details !
I would like to see pictures with every tread AC members write.
Now that I know how to include pictures in my treads, I like to include pictures with all of them. I will try...
Guy 13

That's what your avatar picture is for Guy.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Guy 13

« Reply #18 on: 21 Sep 2010, 05:05 am »
When I purchased my kit from Danny he was still tweaking it. The no-rez wasnt
an option at the time. Mine is the first version with the rear firing tweeter.

Hi Perry.
For my V-1 kit and two 12" sealed servo Rythmik heavy subs in a heady duty wood box crate, I paid for air cargo transport approximately 700 USD from Danny's place to Ho Chi Minh City airport. That's half around the world.
That's around 20% in transport from the cost of the equipment, that's about the average of everything I order from my suppliers in the US.
As for the custom duty tax, well... How about 500 USD including under the table commission... Don't forget, Vietnam is still a communist country and who say communisim, says $ $ $
Have a nice day.
Guy 13.
If you dont hear from me anymore, because of what I wrote, it's because they took me away... (Ha, ha...)

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #19 on: 21 Sep 2010, 02:06 pm »
I also tried with and without the foam around the subs and could not see a big difference or even a small difference in sound. I will do more testing with the V-2 since they don't have yet the foam installed.
I like to experiment and also I try to make everything simple.
Guy 13

For the record No Rez isn't just foam.  It has a heavy asphalt layer that adheres to the cabinet walls and helps cut down the resonance of the cabinet.  It really helps clean up the mid bass.