Antelope Audio Zodiac + (evolving review)

KrK

Re: Antelope Audio Zodiac + (evolving review)
« Reply #120 on: 26 Feb 2011, 03:09 pm »
I have only found one thing I don't like about the DAC.... there's a low level, high pitched squeal that can be heard when the music is not playing.  I've heard this from other bits of digital gear also, computers, satelite recievers etc.  It annoys me, but can't be heard when the music is playing.... I think my ears are just quite sensitive to things like that.  Anyone else noticed it?  I wonder of a new PS wil reduce it...?

Cheers,
Mark

Mark,

I have had the same, but a better USB cable was the solution for me.

Kees

owenmd

« Reply #121 on: 1 Mar 2011, 04:12 pm »
Mark,

I have had the same, but a better USB cable was the solution for me.

Kees

Hi Kees,

I currently use two inputs.... balanced AES and glass Toslink.  I can turn on or off either source and it makes no difference, the high pitched tone only goes away when I turn the Zodiac off.  I'm hoping a better power supply will help this situation.  Its one of those things that once you know its there, you always hear it.... most that listen to my system don't notice it, until I point it out.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #122 on: 1 Mar 2011, 04:56 pm »
Mark, Is this high pitched low level noise emanating from the box, or through the signal path (i. speakers)? 

Edit: oops, nevermind...I see where you responded that it definitely is tweeter-based.  Sorry. 

Any other Zodiac owners hear this?

KrK

« Reply #123 on: 1 Mar 2011, 05:32 pm »
Its one of those things that once you know its there, you always hear it.... most that listen to my system don't notice it, until I point it out.

You are right ...... I thought I have the solution available but..... No

On mine Zodiac Gold with Voltikus, the same problem still exists...

Philistine

« Reply #124 on: 1 Mar 2011, 06:20 pm »
Clearly this is an issue that needs to be resolved if it's widespread, and fixed for you guys that have the problem.  Until this fleshes out it puts the Zodiac on hold as a DAC candidate.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #125 on: 1 Mar 2011, 06:33 pm »
I mention it cuz I never head it, nor does David (rydenfan) have it with his current Plus.  It sounds like a grounding type issue or ac grunge.

KrK

« Reply #126 on: 1 Mar 2011, 06:38 pm »
It's only on the right side. Left is totally still

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #127 on: 1 Mar 2011, 06:43 pm »
It's only on the right side. Left is totally still

I'd report it to Antelope.  Sounds like a return to me.

owenmd

« Reply #128 on: 2 Mar 2011, 02:56 am »
Clearly this is an issue that needs to be resolved if it's widespread, and fixed for you guys that have the problem.  Until this fleshes out it puts the Zodiac on hold as a DAC candidate.

Well it might be that only younger and more "virile" audiophiles can actually hear it as not many have reported the phenomena....?   :lol:  :lol:

Marcel at Antelope has not heard of the issue and has asked Antelope UK to comment.

Apparently Voltikus was sent to Sweetwater yesterday...?

turbogti

« Reply #129 on: 3 Mar 2011, 04:11 am »
I've recently bought a Z+ too, and would love to purchase an after market power supply! hopefully there is a decent one for the price of 300~400USD.  :thumb:

Philistine

« Reply #130 on: 3 Mar 2011, 03:44 pm »
Well it might be that only younger and more "virile" audiophiles can actually hear it as not many have reported the phenomena....?   :lol:  :lol:

Marcel at Antelope has not heard of the issue and has asked Antelope UK to comment.

Apparently Voltikus was sent to Sweetwater yesterday...?

Thanks for the clarification on this, clearly explains why Ted hasn't heard it and tells me that it's a potential issue for me  :thumb:

By the way - has the Pardo arrived?

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #131 on: 3 Mar 2011, 04:12 pm »
Huh?  What?  I can't hear you!!   :D

By the way......   :finger:

David tells me the Pardo is still in transit.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #132 on: 3 Mar 2011, 04:21 pm »
Huh?  What?  I can't hear you!!   :D

By the way......   :finger:

David tells me the Pardo is still in transit.

If it makes it here in time, I might get to hear it in my system on Saturday.   :green:

George

owenmd

« Reply #133 on: 3 Mar 2011, 04:46 pm »
If it makes it here in time, I might get to hear it in my system on Saturday.   :green:

George

Hey George.... have you heard a Zodiac+ yet.... any comments...?

Mark

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #134 on: 3 Mar 2011, 04:53 pm »
Hey George.... have you heard a Zodiac+ yet.... any comments...?

Mark

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=85877.80

Towards the bottom of the page.

George

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #135 on: 3 Mar 2011, 04:54 pm »
I was able to spend 2-3 hours with David's (rydenfan) Zodiac + this past weekend.  We directly compared it to a Modwright Transporter with NOS tubes.  The Zodiac + was fed a digital signal via the Modwright TP's S/PDIF out via a VH Audio digital ic.  While this might be less than ideal (especially since the digital input/output from both units had never been used before), it was the easiest way for us to do this comparison.  The analog output ic used in both cases was the Morrow Audio MA4 XLR.  The rest of the setup was my normal system (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=systems;area=browse;system=711) with the exception of the Parasound JC-2 preamp being temporarily replaced by an Atma-Sphere MP-1.

As for the sonics...

The Zodiac + sounded really good and in many areas bested the Modwright TP.  The Antelope was better at the extremes in most ways.  Bass had more authority and slam to it and highs were more detailed and crisp without being edgy and annoying.  The midrange was also cleaner and clearer with more detail and separation.  Imaging and sound stage were excellent, but didn't really seem like as big an improvement over the Modwright TP.

However, the Antelope wasn't as "full figured" as the Modwright TP and didn't convey the same depth of body and presence.  No real shock given the wimpy PS and lack of tubes in the Antelope.  I wonder how much an improved PS would help flesh out the Zodiac + and get it closer to the Modwright TP?  Once David gets an upgraded PS I will hopefully get an opportunity to hear the Zodiac + again in my system.

George

Mark, here were George's comments from 2 pages back.  He hasn't heard it since, but hopes that David gets the Pardo PS today so it can settle in and the combo can get over to George's this weekend.  David's tracking info is messed up from Israel to US handoff so we're in the dark.

owenmd

« Reply #136 on: 3 Mar 2011, 05:00 pm »
Thanks guys.... sorry George, I missed that for some reason.... I always value your opinion.

Interesting how the Antelope is attracting interest from many of the guys that followed the MWT path.

Cheers,
Mark

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #137 on: 3 Mar 2011, 05:03 pm »
Thanks guys.... sorry George, I missed that for some reason.... I always value your opinion.

Interesting how the Antelope is attracting interest from many of the guys that followed the MWT path.

Cheers,
Mark

I just follow Ted.   :lol: :lol:

The Modwright TP is a great unit and I have really enjoyed it, but I know there is better out there.

George

KrK

« Reply #138 on: 3 Mar 2011, 06:04 pm »
I have only found one thing I don't like about the DAC.... there's a low level, high pitched squeal that can be heard when the music is not playing.  I've heard this from other bits of digital gear also, computers, satelite recievers etc.  It annoys me, but can't be heard when the music is playing.... I think my ears are just quite sensitive to things like that.  Anyone else noticed it?  I wonder of a new PS wil reduce it...?

Cheers,
Mark

Today, I switched the power supply in my HTPC. First a Seasonic X660, now a Be-Quiet L7 350 Watt. For me, this was the solution!  8)

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #139 on: 3 Mar 2011, 06:13 pm »
Today, I switched the power supply in my HTPC. First a Seasonic X660, now a Be-Quiet L7 350 Watt. For me, this was the solution!  8)

Just what I thought.  Great news Kees!