Upgrades

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
Upgrades
« on: 14 Sep 2010, 05:09 pm »
Having had my Denon up and running for a month or so, I decided to upgrade.

First, replaced the diy cable from TC-760LC phono pre to pre with a Sweet Spot Reveal "Silver" Interconnect. More air on high end.

Then bought an Ortofon MC 25 E cartridge from Australia via ebay. A little nervous about this, but the price was right, and the seller seems to be reputable. We shall see.

After that all settles in, I think I'll have to pop open the TC-760LC  and see how I can tweak it, plus a better power supply might be in order.

TheChairGuy

Re: Upgrades
« Reply #1 on: 14 Sep 2010, 07:35 pm »
Buy another TC-760LC's (using one for reach channel) AND change out the power supplies to something regulated...then you'll be hearing that Ortofon at nearer to it's best it can give :thumb:

(Fully) Dual Mono preserves the mediocre stereo separation (relative to digital) and tightly regulated power supplies will enhance impact and, in particular, tighten up bass lines to a pleasant degree :)

You'll hear what your new Ortofon cartridge can do mo' betta' 8)

John

etcarroll

« Reply #2 on: 14 Sep 2010, 08:58 pm »
So how does that work, just the left in/out on one, and right in/out on other?

Charles Calkins

« Reply #3 on: 14 Sep 2010, 09:17 pm »
etcarroll:

I ran across the TC-760 on phonopreamps.com. It sells for $73.50. I'm very leery of buying a cheap phono pre. Cheap is usually what I get in music playback. Doesn't matter what piece of audio gear it is.

But tell me how do you like the TC-760? A keeper or just something temporary.

Cheers
                                           Charlie

etcarroll

« Reply #4 on: 14 Sep 2010, 09:34 pm »
First - I agree with you about the 'get what you pay for' mantra.

But, it's served me well for the few months I've had it - no complaints.

I will be popping it open to see what I can upgrade due to the 'cheap' mantra, and getting a better power supply.

But as a temp. unit, or bridge till you can get what you want but can't afford just yet, I give it a thumbs up. And if I got another unit, I'd keep it as a backup.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #5 on: 14 Sep 2010, 11:17 pm »
Thank you.
  Grant Fidelity has a P-307 that I'm very interested in.

Cheers
                          Charlie

TheChairGuy

« Reply #6 on: 14 Sep 2010, 11:42 pm »
So how does that work, just the left in/out on one, and right in/out on other?

Yup, just like that.  Then, hook up a regulated 12v power supply to each of them in place of wall wart.

It need not be expensive - $73.50 for another TC-760LC and used, regulated 12v (linear) power supplies a-plenty on ebay typically under $30 each.  Old Radio Shack units tend to be the norm. Like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Radio-Shack-12v-Regulated-Power-Supply-120VAC-12V-DC-/140452412957?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b39dbe1d

You need to buy two of the same exact kind (a little harder to do).

So, for maybe $125 more (or, $200 total invested in all), you should have a very, very decent phono stage to use. True dual mono, right back to regulated power supplies, is simply a great thing for better vinyl playback :thumb:

Goodbye weak imaging and limp bass :wave:

John

etcarroll

« Reply #7 on: 14 Sep 2010, 11:44 pm »
Thanks John!  :thumb:

etcarroll

« Reply #8 on: 14 Sep 2010, 11:51 pm »
Charles -

I certainly appreciate getting tubes into your system, it's one path I'm considering. But that unit costs >$300, more than I wanted to spend for a phono pre at the moment.

If you do get it, I'd like to hear your impressions of it.

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #9 on: 14 Sep 2010, 11:56 pm »
Thank you.
  Grant Fidelity has a P-307 that I'm very interested in.

Cheers
                          Charlie

It doesn' look like it will do MC but I could be wrong it's been known to happen :lol: :lol:

Charles Calkins

« Reply #10 on: 15 Sep 2010, 12:02 am »
Hey Bro!!!
 You get what you pay for!! Many,many,many Phono pre's out there that cost 'MUCHO" bucks. $325.00 I consider on the inexpensive side. I spent a little time at Grant Fidelity's room at the Cal. Audio show. For the cost of his gear you're getting a lot of bang for the buck. I'll probably go ahead and order one. Stay tuned for the results!!

Cheers
                                       Charlie

etcarroll

« Reply #11 on: 15 Sep 2010, 12:28 am »
Plus, you get to roll tubes!

etcarroll

« Reply #12 on: 15 Sep 2010, 12:32 am »
It doesn' look like it will do MC but I could be wrong it's been known to happen :lol: :lol:

From the Grant website, the P-307 tech sheet;
Stereo RIAA Phono inputs (2.5-5mV sensitivity) on front panel

Ya, it might be tough for a MC cart.
And I'm not sure I'm keen on the phono input being on front panel, but if the sound was right I could overlook it.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #13 on: 15 Sep 2010, 12:36 am »
Got an MM cartridge. MC cartridges open up a can of worms. Best if I stay away from them. K.I.S.S. is my motto.

Cheers
                                  Charlie

kingdeezie

« Reply #14 on: 15 Sep 2010, 12:41 am »
Got an MM cartridge. MC cartridges open up a can of worms. Best if I stay away from them. K.I.S.S. is my motto.

Cheers
                                  Charlie

Perhaps true, but what MM cartridge can you get that has the detail and refinement of some of the better MC cartridges?

I don't believe there are any.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #15 on: 15 Sep 2010, 12:45 am »
Very interesting! Another can of worms for me to look into!!!

Well!!!! if I buy the P-307 I guess I'm stuck with an MM cartridge. Right?

Cheers
                            Charlie

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #16 on: 15 Sep 2010, 12:47 am »
Hey Bro!!!
 You get what you pay for!! Many,many,many Phono pre's out there that cost 'MUCHO" bucks. $325.00 I consider on the inexpensive side. I spent a little time at Grant Fidelity's room at the Cal. Audio show. For the cost of his gear you're getting a lot of bang for the buck. I'll probably go ahead and order one. Stay tuned for the results!!

Cheers
                                       Charlie

That was meant for Gene as he has a MC cartridge and would then need a step up transfomer  alot of people have positive things to say about Grant Fidelity Just making a point not a put down........Bill

Charles Calkins

« Reply #17 on: 15 Sep 2010, 12:53 am »
So let me see if I'm getting it(call me DumDum). If I bought the P-307 and somewhere down the road I bought an MC cartridge it's probable that I'd need a step up transformer. Right?

Cheers
                                   Charlie  AKA DumDum

etcarroll

« Reply #18 on: 15 Sep 2010, 12:59 am »
Nothing dumb about you Charles, this discussion is why the forums exist.

With a low output MC, (which I have), then yes, you'd need a SUT. With a high output MC, maybe not.

So let me see if I'm getting it(call me DumDum). If I bought the P-307 and somewhere down the road I bought an MC cartridge it's probable that I'd need a step up transformer. Right?

Cheers
                                   Charlie  AKA DumDum

etcarroll

« Reply #19 on: 15 Sep 2010, 01:01 am »
Hey John -

The 760LC is a cheaply made Chinese wallwart, outputs 12v DC 200mA.

I did a search, possibly this Jerome Industries unit, which the Squeezebox folk have been buying;

http://www.herbach.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvScreen=PROD&Store_Code=HAR&Product_Code=TM93PWS2476&Category_Code=PWS

Search for Jerome Ind# RYD313F-001

Gene

Yup, just like that.  Then, hook up a regulated 12v power supply to each of them in place of wall wart.

It need not be expensive - $73.50 for another TC-760LC and used, regulated 12v (linear) power supplies a-plenty on ebay typically under $30 each.  Old Radio Shack units tend to be the norm. Like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Radio-Shack-12v-Regulated-Power-Supply-120VAC-12V-DC-/140452412957?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b39dbe1d

You need to buy two of the same exact kind (a little harder to do).

So, for maybe $125 more (or, $200 total invested in all), you should have a very, very decent phono stage to use. True dual mono, right back to regulated power supplies, is simply a great thing for better vinyl playback :thumb:

Goodbye weak imaging and limp bass :wave:

John