• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
Re: Upgrades
« Reply #20 on: 15 Sep 2010, 01:23 am »

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #21 on: 15 Sep 2010, 01:28 am »
Go to bed Bill, I am.

I always liked Gene Gene, wish I had his moves.

But why did they always throw stuff at him from off-stage?

Gene

TheChairGuy

« Reply #22 on: 15 Sep 2010, 02:09 am »
Yeah, that would seem to be a good, inexpensive way to go, too, Gene :thumb:

And, you would be able to easily buy two of the exact same kind...rather than bidding on two separate auctions on ebay.

Heck, if their shipping charges are light (and phonopreamps.com, too) you may have one heckuva' upgrade for only $100.00 :thumb:

Seriously, regulated dual mono power supplies are of serious benefit to vinyl playback.  Any other phono stage starts at a significant disadvantage in playback...despite whatever positive attributes the non-dual mono phono stage might have  :)

John

Hey John -

The 760LC is a cheaply made Chinese wallwart, outputs 12v DC 200mA.

I did a search, possibly this Jerome Industries unit, which the Squeezebox folk have been buying;

http://www.herbach.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvScreen=PROD&Store_Code=HAR&Product_Code=TM93PWS2476&Category_Code=PWS

Search for Jerome Ind# RYD313F-001

Gene

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #23 on: 15 Sep 2010, 02:49 am »
I used a TC-760LC for almost three years.  Stock with the cheap wallwart is just as quiet as my battery powered RSA F-117 Nighthawk.  So while in theory the battery powered unit should be cleaner and quieter due to it being off the grid, in practice (at least in my setup) there is no difference.  What the Nighthawk has over the TC-760LC is dual mono, which gives it a slight edge.  The Nighthawk has better loading and gain options, which makes it a good fit for just about any cartridge.  That said, the TC-760LC worked great with every cartridge I threw at it: Benz Glider, Benz Wood M2, Benz Copper Reference, Ortofon Kontrapunkt A, Ortofon Jubilee, and the ZYX Airy3.

I will, without reservation, recommend the TC-760LC to anyone who needs a phono preamp and has a budget of less than $800.  You get a lot of performance for $73.  You can find better performance at way higher price points...but IMO even then the extra cost is not justified on performance alone.  Take it from someone who used one every day for years.  Or don't.  8)

--Jerome
« Last Edit: 15 Sep 2010, 03:58 am by jsaliga »

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #24 on: 16 Sep 2010, 02:53 pm »
Popped the 760LC open and took pics of the innards. Found it full of Hermei caps, maybe after upgrading the power I'll think about swapping those with same value nichicon kz or panasonic FM perhaps.