DSLR right for me?

rahimlee54

DSLR right for me?
« on: 25 Aug 2010, 11:44 am »
My camera finally died and we are going on vacation in a few weeks, should I pony up the dough for the DSLR or just get a decent P&S camera and keep going?  I am a really big fan of buying higher quality once and holding it for a good amount of time, but I am not sure if I would get my money's worth from a DSLR.  I would probably use the camera about once a month is that frequently enough to get a nice camera or would a P&S do in that situation.  The wife has basically mandated this and I am between the Canon T1i or the Nikon counterpart.  Thoughts or suggestions are appreciated, I'd like to get a DSLR but not sure if it would be the best move for my needs.

Thanks
Jared

jermmd

Re: DSLR right for me?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Aug 2010, 12:43 pm »
Point and shoot camera's are so convenient and easy to use that I would only recommend a DSLR if you want to get into the hobby of photography. For recording memories, nothing beats a good P&S camera. Most do video as well. A DSLR is bigger and more complicated but will take nicer photographs if you learn how to use it and can take different lenses for specialty photographs. For you, I would recommend a P&S camera unless I read your post wrong.

gary

« Reply #2 on: 25 Aug 2010, 12:44 pm »
I have a Nikon D90; while I love it and it takes amazing pictures it's bulky and a pain in the ass lug around (especially since I have a 3 year-old). I'm really starting to think that the new micro four-thirds cameras are the perfect way to go and a great balance between image quality and size. Have you looked into any of those? The Sony NEX and Panasonic DMC-GF1 are pretty impressive.

gary

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #3 on: 25 Aug 2010, 01:44 pm »
My camera finally died and we are going on vacation in a few weeks, should I pony up the dough for the DSLR or just get a decent P&S camera and keep going?  I am a really big fan of buying higher quality once and holding it for a good amount of time, but I am not sure if I would get my money's worth from a DSLR.  I would probably use the camera about once a month is that frequently enough to get a nice camera or would a P&S do in that situation.  The wife has basically mandated this and I am between the Canon T1i or the Nikon counterpart.  Thoughts or suggestions are appreciated, I'd like to get a DSLR but not sure if it would be the best move for my needs.

Thanks
Jared

DSLR over P&S is not so much of having higher quality as having more control.  Once you get used to using a DSLR, you can get frustrated with a P&S because it's so "user friendly" that you can't control what you get.  A DSLR is a lot more bulky and inconvenient than a P&S but you get the artistic control over your pictures.  So the real question is, "What kind of pictures do you want?"  If you are happy with just getting family moments on record, P&S is cheaper and more convenient.  Automated process also means you get decently focused and properly exposed pictures most of the time.  If OTOH, you want to imbue the pictures with something more through artistic control of how the moments are captured, you are likely to need the control that a DSLR would provide.  I am not saying you can't do this with a P&S but what I am saying is that you get more brushes and a larger pallet with which to create your masterpiece in a DSLR.  When you are considering what to buy, I don't think how often you use the camera is as important a factor as what you want out of pictures regardless of the frequency of your picture taking. 

Just my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: 25 Aug 2010, 06:30 pm by woodsyi »

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 25 Aug 2010, 02:01 pm »
If you have some experience with an SLR (35mm film) AND understand the basics of exposure AND are willing to learn, go for the DSLR.  Most first time DSLR buyers aren’t willing to learn, let alone RTFM and then they wonder why all their pictures look horrible and then blame the camera.

A good P&S demands nothing, just frame your shot and push the button.  They are a 1000x easier to pack around and weigh next to nothing.  There are a number of shock proof, weather proof, water proof, dust resistant cameras that can take a lot of punishment.  I like the Lumix TS-2.  Pentax makes one (W90) with a microscope mode that is pretty neat.  Both of these cameras can take HD videos under water.

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 25 Aug 2010, 02:17 pm »
I am a really big fan of buying higher quality once and holding it for a good amount of time

Get a DSLR. Not a fancy one, just the smallest and lightest (and therefore usually cheapest) model. Don't talk yourself into extra stuff, more features, faster/telephoto lenses or anything - just make sure it comes with a good quality (and light weight) kit lens. You will be streets ahead of any compact, not much if any more $ than a high end compact, and the way I see it as far as weight goes, since most blokes don't carry a hand bag, once you sling a camera bag over your shoulder 600g is no different to 400g.

Doublej

« Reply #6 on: 25 Aug 2010, 02:55 pm »
Historically two of the major downsides of the P&S has been the slowness of focus and the shutter lag time (time between button press and shot capture). I am not sure if these are still issues.

On the positive side you can get a huge zoom, up to 15X, in a relatively small package.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #7 on: 25 Aug 2010, 03:11 pm »
I'd say things have come along way since then.  My first digital camera back in 1998 was an Epson that had a lag time of about one second and was really hard on batteries.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #8 on: 25 Aug 2010, 04:48 pm »

Thanks
Jared

I was in a somewhat similar position and made the leap to DSLR a few months back and I am very happy that I did.  While it can't beat the convenience of a small P&S, the extra control and options that a DSLR can provide really enhanced my picture making ability and have me taking more pictures than ever before!

Sure, there is no getting around the fact that I can't fit a DSLR into my shirt pocket like the Canon S90 can, but I am more than willing to make that trade-off the majority of the time due to the improved pictures I can take.  When I am unwilling to carry the DSLR, one of the three or four P&S cameras in the house or even the camera on my Droid Incredible comes into play. 

As for a DSLR being a lot more difficult to use...that really depends.  You can buy some books that make things real easy to understand and besides, learning is fun.  Also, you can simply choose auto mode to handle things till you come up to speed. 

Here's a thought...

By a used Nikon D70 (what I have been borrowing from a friend for months and months while I ultimately try and decide on what body to buy) for less than $300 and a used lens or two and see if you like the experience as much as I do.

This keeps your initial investment and exposure pretty low.  If you like the DSLR approach, you can buy a better body (selling your D70 for basically what you paid for it) and continue using the lenses you purchased, or buy some better ones.

Good luck and I hope you try the DSLR route.

George
« Last Edit: 25 Aug 2010, 08:52 pm by zybar »

low.pfile

« Reply #9 on: 25 Aug 2010, 05:59 pm »
The key for better images is a bigger sensor. The larger sensor just allows more information to be recorded. DSLRs have the largest*. That is followed by micro-four-thirds format.(sony NEX5, pana GF-1, Oly P1/P2). Then advanced point & shoots (canon G11 and s90, pana LX3,etc) sensors are larger than the ubiquitous compact pocket p&s cameras. Just think about printed photos made from old 110 or disc film camera versus full SLRs back in film days. the former would be most entry level P&S cameras with 1/2.5 inch size sensor.

DSLRs will give you ultimate flexibility in lens selection which will give you a great deal of creative flexibility in creating images, such as isolating the main subject via focus and aperture, and exposure control, etc. All of this comes at a cost of have a big chunk of a camera around your neck (even the smaller DSLRs)

If you can only have one camera, likely one that your wife(if she is untechie) will feel comfortable using, go with either a micro 4/3 or Advanced P&S, as they have full AUTO modes and decent sensor size. These both have camera controls mimicking DSLRs to provide more control over your images.

I think Zybar's experience is one to one to learn from, he brings up great points about actual use.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: 25 Aug 2010, 06:13 pm »
Jared,

Heres the answer, HT2'TLs = Good DSLR.
Point and Shoot = Best Buy Speaker Your Choice!

Alex

PM me and I will convince you!

SET Man

« Reply #11 on: 26 Aug 2010, 01:33 am »
Hey!

Well, the only downside of DSLR is the size. If you are willing to dangling DSLR around instead of having a tiny P&S in your shirt pocket or purse than I say go for it.

As for using the DSLR. Well, I'm not a fan of this feature but don't worry it as easy as P&S because everyone of them do come with the "Auto Everything" mode button, even the most expensive one. Of course with DSLR you have option to go beyond that :wink:

Good luck on your search. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #12 on: 26 Aug 2010, 02:46 am »

As for using the DSLR. Well, I'm not a fan of this feature but don't worry it as easy as P&S because everyone of them do come with the "Auto Everything" mode button...

But there's not much of a point in owning an advanced camera if it's only going to be used like a point and shoot.  Under those conditions there won't be much of a difference in the quality of output between the two.

JohnR

« Reply #13 on: 26 Aug 2010, 02:55 am »
But there's not much of a point in owning an advanced camera if it's only going to be used like a point and shoot.  Under those conditions there won't be much of a difference in the quality of output between the two.

Not so - DSLR performance will be far better in all aspects e.g.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/Camera-Sensor/Compare-sensors/(appareil1)/567%7C0/(appareil2)/623%7C0/(onglet)/0/(brand)/Panasonic/(brand2)/Nikon

(Click on buttons for graphs that illustrate the dramatic difference)

Wind Chaser

« Reply #14 on: 26 Aug 2010, 03:11 am »
I'm not talking charts, numbers and graphs, but actual sample images.  Most people, (not picky photographers) aren't going to see that much difference.  The better P&S cameras have come along way.

SET Man

« Reply #15 on: 26 Aug 2010, 03:13 am »

Hey!

You are missing my point there. If you have quoted my entire sentence I did said that "... with DSLR you have option to go beyond that" :wink:

For those who just moved from simple P&S using "Auto Everything" mode first on their new DSLR is not a bad thing just to get to know it before moving on to more advance manual setting... if the user decided to be more creative with more control :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

JohnR

« Reply #16 on: 26 Aug 2010, 03:43 am »
I'm not talking charts, numbers and graphs, but actual sample images.  Most people, (not picky photographers) aren't going to see that much difference.

Well... it's not that you can't take good images with a P&S. (Or with a phone for that matter - http://fstoppers.com/iphone/) It's just harder, when you look at the overall usage of the camera. I tried going down the compact road again a couple of years ago - in the end I decided it's just not worth it and gave the camera away.

Zero

« Reply #17 on: 26 Aug 2010, 04:47 am »
Dunno.  I liked the Lumix 3 over the stock Nikon D3000 kit (stock lens), but thats probably because I'm a newb!   :lol: :lol:   

Wind Chaser

« Reply #18 on: 26 Aug 2010, 07:50 am »
To me, shooting with a DSLR is a deliberate planned thing you go out and do, whereas having a P&S is more intuitive.  The only camera that can get the shot is the one you have with you.  Sometimes... and it seems to be more often than not... that I can't be bothered by the bulk and weight of either one of my two DSLRs, which are considerably smaller than most cameras in their catagory... not to mention the small prime lenses I use instead of large zooms.  :dunno:

Had to edit the above for bad English.

« Last Edit: 26 Aug 2010, 11:09 am by Wind Chaser »

JohnR

« Reply #19 on: 26 Aug 2010, 08:50 am »
OK, well whatever. It's not my money ;)