DSLR right for me?

PhilNYC

Re: DSLR right for me?
« Reply #40 on: 27 Aug 2010, 03:53 pm »
This is getting silly. If someone cares about results, then my advice to them is clear enough. Thx...

Not sure why it's "silly"... Results are one parameter, and for many people, there are other parameters to consider (convenience, ease of use, price, etc)...and most of the comments here have tried to understand the priorities in more detail.  Seems like a reasonable set of comments to me...

SET Man

« Reply #41 on: 27 Aug 2010, 04:20 pm »
Hey!

Don't want to sound like a sale man here...  no not a Pentax... just kidding Wind :jester:

But keep an eye on Sony SLT-A55 if you can wait. Look like a hybird between DSLR and Mirroless advance P&S. It seems tiny too. Of course it is not Nikon, Cannon or even Pentax... so it won't attract much attention  :icon_lol:

Of course the best way is to go to a good camera store and play around with those camera and see what fit you best. :D

BTW... a little disclaimer, my DSLR is Sony.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

JohnR

« Reply #42 on: 27 Aug 2010, 04:28 pm »
Not sure why it's "silly"... Results are one parameter, and for many people, there are other parameters to consider (convenience, ease of use, price, etc)...and most of the comments here have tried to understand the priorities in more detail.  Seems like a reasonable set of comments to me...

Most of them haven't, they're just positions. Mine too, I suppose. I tried to provide some factual information to back it up.

PhilNYC

« Reply #43 on: 27 Aug 2010, 05:22 pm »
Hey!

Don't want to sound like a sale man here...  no not a Pentax... just kidding Wind :jester:

But keep an eye on Sony SLT-A55 if you can wait. Look like a hybird between DSLR and Mirroless advance P&S. It seems tiny too. Of course it is not Nikon, Cannon or even Pentax... so it won't attract much attention  :icon_lol:

Of course the best way is to go to a good camera store and play around with those camera and see what fit you best. :D

BTW... a little disclaimer, my DSLR is Sony.

Take care,

Hey Buddy...I just read about this A55/A33 the other day, and I'm intrigued.  It appears to work with existing Sony and Minolta lenses...is this correct?  I am enjoying my Sony A350, but the fact that the A55/A33 also does HD video is cool; I've been looking into getting an HD camcorder, but if the A55/A33 offers HD video and can allow me to upgrade from my A350 without having to get all new lenses, that would be a big plus...

SET Man

« Reply #44 on: 28 Aug 2010, 02:45 am »
Hey Buddy...I just read about this A55/A33 the other day, and I'm intrigued.  It appears to work with existing Sony and Minolta lenses...is this correct?  I am enjoying my Sony A350, but the fact that the A55/A33 also does HD video is cool; I've been looking into getting an HD camcorder, but if the A55/A33 offers HD video and can allow me to upgrade from my A350 without having to get all new lenses, that would be a big plus...

Hey!

Phil, glad to know that you are still enjoying your A350. I still enjoying my A700 too :D

Yes this will be compatible with all Minolta's "legacy" AF lenses, I think except the rare zoom macro lens and of course all new Sony AF lenses. So, it will work with those lenses that you have now.

I saw is listed on B&H site for $750 body only. Very impressive spec so far. Mostly importantly full time phase detection AF for HD video... world's first for digital camera I think recording and very small. There's a small downside using translucent mirror and that you'll about 1/3 of a stop of light. But this is minor and you will never noticed it anyway.

You know I think you will like the SLT-55 with your Sony's Zeiss 16-80mm zoom, it got HD video and smaller than the A350 also. And definitely quite a few improvement over the A350 too. :D

Still, for me I still want that A900 :wink:

Take care,

rahimlee54

« Reply #45 on: 31 Aug 2010, 08:21 pm »
So after checking out my options I think I am going to just go ahead and pick up the DSLR, just because I know I'll want it until I get one.  I dont mind learning about them, so hopefully I should enjoy the purchase and maybe start another hobby   :D.  Now I just need to decide between the Nikon or Canon, that is the tough part.  I hope I can get a good labor day deal this weekend  :thumb:.

If you guys want to throw out the D5000 vs the T1i, I am all ears just wouldn't want to start a war.

Thanks
Jared

JohnR

« Reply #46 on: 1 Sep 2010, 01:10 am »
Hi - I know the next best thing is always just around the corner but in the Nikon range you might want to check out the new D3100 before making a purchase.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #47 on: 1 Sep 2010, 01:55 am »
I'd wait just a few weeks before making a decision as Photokina (the world's biggest trade show for photography) will unveil the latest greatest new cameras.

rahimlee54

« Reply #48 on: 1 Sep 2010, 02:52 am »
Nope going on vacation in a week or so, ordering in a couple days.  Been seeing deals on t2i, but might just get the lesser one anyway.

rahimlee54

« Reply #49 on: 4 Sep 2010, 12:02 am »
Can anyone point me to their favorite beginners guide so I can read up while I wait on the Fedex man, I promise to post many average pictures  :D.  Just want to get a head start of what to fiddle with when the camera gets here.

Thanks
Jared

jermmd

« Reply #50 on: 4 Sep 2010, 01:42 am »
Can anyone point me to their favorite beginners guide so I can read up while I wait on the Fedex man, I promise to post many average pictures  :D.  Just want to get a head start of what to fiddle with when the camera gets here.

Thanks
Jared

I enjoyed this book. It's a quick read and very simple. Give it a shot.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #51 on: 4 Sep 2010, 12:26 pm »
I enjoyed this book. It's a quick read and very simple. Give it a shot.

Yep, a nice book.

George

WerTicus

« Reply #52 on: 4 Sep 2010, 01:05 pm »
Now I just need to decide between the Nikon or Canon, that is the tough part.

At the entry level the choice is very very easy... buy a Pentax! :)
It outperforms the 1000d and d3000 by a million miles for the same money:

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/Camera-Sensor/Compare-sensors/%28appareil1%29/270|0/%28appareil2%29/623|0/%28appareil3%29/639|0/%28onglet%29/0/%28brand%29/Canon/%28brand2%29/Nikon/%28brand3%29/Pentax

The entry level Pentax Kx performs as well as a d90 or 550d, that cost twice as much.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/Camera-Sensor/Compare-sensors/%28appareil1%29/645|0/%28appareil2%29/439|0/%28appareil3%29/639|0/%28onglet%29/0/%28brand%29/Canon/%28brand2%29/Nikon/%28brand3%29/Pentax

And you can have it in a bunch of colours:

even black.

rahimlee54

« Reply #53 on: 8 Sep 2010, 01:16 am »
Thanks for all the help guys, got the camera today, I'll be playing tomorrow.  Just playing around with the focus on the lens this seems pretty cool.  Reading up all night and tomorrow all day pretty much.  Hopefully I can post some cool stuff from around here by Thursday either way should be a good time learning all this.