Attention Hockey Fans - Time for a Canadian Cable Tour

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: Attention Hockey Fans - Time for a Canadian Cable Tour
« Reply #40 on: 11 Oct 2010, 07:30 pm »
The speaker cables took awhile for me also- a week or two- don't know why but when they finally settled in the benefits were obvious. After my last cable arrived and sometime had passed I put everything back the way it was before Alex and Wywires came on the scene, pretty amazing how much of a positive effect they have had on my system.
Now I enjoy the music instead of listening for some area that needs an upgrade..have fun listening werd!!! :thumb:

werd

« Reply #41 on: 18 Oct 2010, 05:12 pm »
Ok well i got these cables boxed up and ready to go. Now all i need to know is who's going to pay the ransom for me to ship these cables.....  :icon_lol:

mclsound

« Reply #42 on: 18 Oct 2010, 11:16 pm »
I know I never got paid for my last shipment of cables i sent out to the west????

werd

« Reply #43 on: 18 Oct 2010, 11:28 pm »
I know I never got paid for my last shipment of cables i sent out to the west????

No this is beyond shipping we are talking solid ransom on these babies.....lol

werd

« Reply #44 on: 20 Oct 2010, 02:05 am »
No this is beyond shipping we are talking solid ransom on these babies.....lol

Cables are gone and now on their way to DavidS to try.....

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #45 on: 20 Oct 2010, 10:15 am »
I can hardly wait until they arrive in Europe...

DavidS

« Reply #46 on: 23 Oct 2010, 11:32 pm »
Just a note that the big cable box arrived in Victoria yesterday.  I have most of the cables in my main system.  Speaker cables were impressive build and went in right between Tube Audio Lab 300b amp and Audio Note speakers.  I have a second system attached to my pc and have one of the interconnects between my cambridge audio dac and accuphase amp and it made the best first impression right of the box.  My plan is listen to music for a week and then do a little evaluation next weekend vs. my current cables (Zu, audio note, vh audio, oyaide tsunami) and then ship to next on the list, while trying to keep my order from Alex at a reasonable cost level. 

David

werd

« Reply #47 on: 23 Oct 2010, 11:39 pm »
Just a note that the big cable box arrived in Victoria yesterday.  I have most of the cables in my main system.  Speaker cables were impressive build and went in right between Tube Audio Lab 300b amp and Audio Note speakers.  I have a second system attached to my pc and have one of the interconnects between my cambridge audio dac and accuphase amp and it made the best first impression right of the box.  My plan is listen to music for a week and then do a little evaluation next weekend vs. my current cables (Zu, audio note, vh audio, oyaide tsunami) and then ship to next on the list, while trying to keep my order from Alex at a reasonable cost level. 

David

Excellent.... the little one is for dac to source in rca....

DavidS

« Reply #48 on: 30 Oct 2010, 08:03 pm »
I am planning on doing some evaluation of the cables this weekend.  One big note that quite surprised me is how much these cables have come around in the last 2-3 days.  Had them in my system for 5 or 6 days and actually was thinking there was something wrong with my preamp or that the new Clapton which I have been listening to quite a bit was just a very poor recording.  Sounds like Werd put a ton of time on them so they should be broken in. 

Somewhere about Thursday night everything changed (at first I thought it was just the recording I was listening to - Jolie Holland) but now things have changed for everything I play - not the preamp (phew), not Clapton.  Next job is to figure out is the great sound from speaker cables (will a/b with my Audio Note cables), interconnects (will compare to my zu and audio note cables) or powercords (doubt it as I run everything into an adeptresponse power conditioner).  Will get on it this afternoon and let you know what I hear.

DavidS

« Reply #49 on: 1 Nov 2010, 02:49 am »
Just want to say that I like them all.

They started slow for me - again probably a break-in of some kind as it took 6 or 7 days of thinking the preamp was throwing a tube or that new Clapton cd just didn't sound very good.  But about day 6 a cd I thought sounded okay (Jolie Holland) sounded amazing.  Got my attention.  Then some old Theolonius Monk sounded great...never had before.  At this point I had the speaker cables, one set of interconnects (the new model) and 2 power cords in the system. 

On Saturday serious listening with Patricia Barber, Companion, Greg Brown, Spoon, Charles Lloyd, and Cowboy Junkies and speaker cables were easily better than my cables - black copper Audio Notes.  Interconnects were good - most noticeable in my second system with an Accuphase amp.  On Sunday it was decided - I would purchase the speaker cables.  The interconnects were nice and hadn't really considered the power cords yet.

So Sunday was power cords - pulled them out and the magic left with them!  Yikes....added the power cords back in ( I really like my power cords Oyaide Tsunami) and magic was back.  Add the interconnects and extra magic.  A pack mentality these wywires.

This is an expensive box but I like them all .... so bought a bunch including the speaker cables.  You are going to like these when they come your way.  Highly recommended - as a pack they make a huge difference in how your system sounds.  Can never go back to hearing "Mining for Gold" the old way after hearing the wywire enhanced version ( an old cliche but they have me in the church).

I know I am getting everything wet with my gushing but they were that impressive in my system.

Main system is Tube Audio Lab preamp and 300 b amp, Audio Note SpE speakers, and Oppo SE blueray player.

werd

« Reply #50 on: 1 Nov 2010, 02:59 am »
His rca's included on this tour are excellent but the ones with the xhadow plugs are better imo. Everything in that box is really good and his speakers cables are great too... The rca's on tour are the neutrik plugs.

Gopher

« Reply #51 on: 10 Nov 2010, 09:29 pm »
You Canadians sure are quiet.   :lol:

mclsound

« Reply #52 on: 10 Nov 2010, 11:32 pm »
Well Ima waiting...""A""
no box yet

wywires

« Reply #53 on: 11 Nov 2010, 02:08 am »
David shipped them on Nov. 4 from Victoria,  BC. Should have arrived by now.

DavidS

« Reply #54 on: 11 Nov 2010, 02:34 am »
billed as 4 to 6 working days so maybe Friday - they are worth the wait

mclsound

« Reply #55 on: 2 Feb 2011, 03:41 pm »
It has taken awhile for this review for several reasons
-3 of us in on it
-equipment failures and changes
-WINTER and holidays
-losing my first review writeup(GGGRRRRRRR)
Equipment used:
PRE/PRO
Krell HTS 7.1
SOURCE
Krell SACD Standard,Raysonic CD128,Marantz UD9004,Denon 2930ci
AMPS
Krell FPB 700cx,Classe CA300/400,Crown K2,Theta Dreadnaught series 1
SPEAKERS
DIY,PMC AB2

mclsound

« Reply #56 on: 2 Feb 2011, 03:55 pm »
The cables were:
1pr speaker cables with spade and banana
1pr XLR's
2pr IC's with RCA
3 PC's
all Wywires

Music
I have tried several Telarc world and jazz discs
Madonna,Michael Jackson,Ray Charles
Several audio store audiophile discs

Ron D

« Reply #57 on: 2 Feb 2011, 04:23 pm »
you are very brave to handle that MOFO of an amp without steel toes on your feet :no_see:

looking forward to your comments...

mclsound

« Reply #58 on: 2 Feb 2011, 05:37 pm »
Once all was hooked up,at the time I started with the Krell 700cx(LR),Classe CA300(Bridged mono on CC) and Krell SACD with some Ladysmith Black Mambazo("this is the way we do").I find this a great warmup for the ears.With all cables in(Wywire PC on SACD,Pre/Pro,CD 128,XLR from 700 to pre,IC's on front LCR and Sub,Naggy's on Surrounds,all other speaker cables were DIY/Van Dammn).
The vocals on this disc cover just about all frequencies from 40hz to 4000hz(feels like it..LOL).Then we moved into some percussion,dance,jazz,and rock.
I did all of this to see what these cables were all about.Since there is a big dollar($$$) cost involved,I had to adapt my ears.I know exactly what my system sounds like without Wywires and now with.
In SACD 5.1,the dynamics were excellent with all the bells and whistles exactly were they should be.The lows were tight and the mids and highs were smooth.There was definately a special sound here that had its own signature.
I find of course that SACD 5.1 is not always the best format to sense what a cable really does so I moved to 2ch with my CD128 and the 700cx.
A small note.....My Krell SACD quit working a little later and I had no more review with it.
In 2ch,I have a nice set I play with a bunch of dance music comprised of MJ and Madonna.During this set,MJ has a vocal ability of absolutely destroying your hearing at huge SPL's.The upper frequencies of the guitar and voice combination in "Black or White" can make your eyes squint(almost close) and water with the dual ATC mids.I have tried several cables(Naggy,Staightwire/Mastro,Nordost/Red Dawn,Van Dammn) and had little luck at 100-115db>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>UNTIL NOW.
This is what I have been looking for!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have found a cable that has made MJ reach 115db without the tears.
The soundstage was wide and deep,micro/macro dynamics were all there in spades and most of all the mids and highs with KRELL gear was controlled.I was so happy,I had to ty more at these ear bleeding levels with all results the same...AWSOME!!!!This may sound like a typical one sided review but this all had a bad side also??????

1-MONEY$$$$$
In order for me to reach this point,I had to have all cables implimented.
I then started to remove one cable at a time and slowly putting them back also and the only way I could reach that one sound was with all cables in.
Now,I did get pretty close with some removed but you will have to purchase at least 2-PC's for source and pre/pro,at least one set of XLR's(2 would be better)from amp to pre/pro(2nd for source to pre/pro)...all in a 2ch setup.As you keep adding in more Wywires,you can increase the volume more.

Note-I used only balanced in 2ch with the Krell 700cx and since I only had one set of Wywire XLR's(amp to pre),I tried Staightwire Mastro(with good results),Naggy(not as good),and Bryston Van Dammn(not as good) from pre to source.I also had the same results in 2ch with the Classe Ca 400.

2-BASS
At first I thought the bass issue(that my ears had) was the 700cx but it was also present with the CA 400.It was not really a issue just different.It seemed that in order to get a loud controlled mid/hi,you had to soften(yet control) the bass.Now when I say soften I mean the bass was stiffened up a bit and seem to reach the depths without that super rumble that some cables provide.The Wywires had plenty of controll but seemed to me as if a couple of bottom octaves left the building at big SPL's.
This seemed to register at the 95db and up levels(so if you never go there,just ignor this note).

I will continue this review soon

lo_tse

« Reply #59 on: 5 Feb 2011, 03:36 am »
Justs curious, is it too late to participate in this tour?  Whom should I contact about this? I am near the GTA area. 

Lo_tse