Funny Story....or Am I Really Getting Older?

adydula

• Restricted
Funny Story....or Am I Really Getting Older?
« on: 22 Aug 2010, 05:06 pm »
For the past few days I have been less than happy with the sound eminating from my SongTowers and Ultravalve Amp...Been driving me nuts.

Things were flat, not imaging well, checked the bias, checked the cabling...

Then on my hands and knees with a flashlight and reading glasses on I notice a few buttons on my AVA Insight+ Preamp...

They were labeled L and R MONO.....

Need I say more!!

:D :D

Its really sounding wonderful again!!!!

Alex

srb

Re: Funny Story....or Am I Really Getting Older?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2010, 05:26 pm »
From tnt-audio.com - We Support Real Stereo:

"It [stereo] was a method for capturing the spatial information inherent in live performance, including the sound and positioning of instruments and voices and a sense of the acoustic in which the performance was taking place.

When reproduced by two appropriately sited loudspeakers, a facsimile of the original performance, including this spatial information, could be produced. Like many brilliant concepts, stereo sound recording and reproduction was elegant in its simplicity."

Stereo.  Good stuff!

Steve

avahifi

« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2010, 05:55 pm »
I will have to remember this one and add the question to my check list I go over with clients who call regarding having an issue with our equipment.

I would suggest our batting average on solving issues by telephone only is about 95 percent.

Often the hardest part is in trying to help the client to isolate an issue to one specific component.

The worse case was the amplifier that went "beep".  The problem here was that his system still made occasional loud "beeps" even though at that time the amplifier was in our shop playing perfectly.  The client accused us of "ruining his system" with the amplifier, ruining the system so thoroughly that the problem remained even with the amplifier removed from the system and being far far away at our shop.

The issue turned out to be a low battery in his smoke detector located in the ceiling above the system.

Even then, the guy remained suspicious of our equipment and never contacted us again.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Brett Buck

« Reply #3 on: 22 Aug 2010, 06:07 pm »
I will have to remember this one and add the question to my check list I go over with clients who call regarding having an issue with our equipment.

I would suggest our batting average on solving issues by telephone only is about 95 percent.

Another one, and don't ask how I know this, is the "filter" button on the EC preamps.

Often the hardest part is in trying to help the client to isolate an issue to one specific component.
The worse case was the amplifier that went "beep".  The problem here was that his system still made occasional loud "beeps" even though at that time the amplifier was in our shop playing perfectly.  The client accused us of "ruining his system" with the amplifier, ruining the system so thoroughly that the problem remained even with the amplifier removed from the system and being far far away at our shop.

The issue turned out to be a low battery in his smoke detector located in the ceiling above the system.

Even then, the guy remained suspicious of our equipment and never contacted us again.

I was surprised at the level of ignorance when I came back into the world of "hi-fi" a few years ago, and was shocked that instead of fading away, the reliance on magical thinking seemed to be stronger than ever. And that the proponents of magic and plain old ignorance are so incredibly aggressive about it. And proud of it, apparently.  The recently banned and unlamented "Bill" being a classic example.

Brett

CSI

« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2010, 06:57 pm »

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Once a person convinces themselves they have a righteous beef the facts may do little to dissuade them. I was working in a HiFi store in West LA when an older gent came in and asked for the special we were running on Dual turntables. I told him we didn't carry that brand. He immediately accused me of a bait and switch scheme. I explained I wasn't trying to switch him to anything and, furthemore, we didn't advertise in the newspaper where he claimed to have seen our ad. I politely told him he had made a mistake but he left in a cloud of anger. 20 minutes later he was back with the ad in his hand a mean look on his face. I pointed out that the store in question was a "Camera and HiFi" store clear on the other end of town (albeit with a somewhat similar name to our shop) and that the ad even had a nice little map showing their location, 15 miles away. I offered to call ahead for him to see if they had any Duals left on sale. He left even angrier than before and swore loudly that he would never deal with us. Fortunately, he never did.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #5 on: 22 Aug 2010, 07:45 pm »
You're just getting older, Alex.

:lol:

Have fun,
Jerry

Wayner

« Reply #6 on: 22 Aug 2010, 08:08 pm »
I went to Frank's one weekend with my laptop to get some engineering drawings up to date. I returned late that same day and put everything away. The next day, the laptop was running fine when all of a sudden it just shut down. I re-booted it up again only to have it shut down again. Damn, I think my computer is crashing! Well it as still under warranty, so I called the Dell help desk. He asked me a couple of dumb ass questions, and I was getting pissed, and then he asked, is your computer plugged in? "It sounds like your battery is below operating power". I thought you damn fool, then realized, I forgot to plug it in when I got home from Frank's place.   :duh:

Dumb, dumber and dumbest.

Wayner  :thumb:

Charles Calkins

« Reply #7 on: 22 Aug 2010, 08:16 pm »
Hey Guys!
  My email starts with dumdum311. How come I came up with that you wonder? Because I've been a dumdum at least 311 Times and I can prove it!!!

Cheers
                                  Charlie

Randy

« Reply #8 on: 22 Aug 2010, 08:23 pm »
This thread once again reminds us that some people have an ego that will not allow them to ever admit to making a mistake or to ever being wrong about anything.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 22 Aug 2010, 09:13 pm »
Hey great Frank, glad to help you make your troubleshooting checklist better!!

Jerry for sure we arent as young as we used to be... :D

Now I have to figure out who pressed those L/R mono buttons!!!  :duh:

Couldnt have been me!!

Nice!

Alex
Time for a beer!

decal

« Reply #10 on: 22 Aug 2010, 09:13 pm »
I thought I was wrong once but I was just mistaken!!! :duh:

Listens2tubes

« Reply #11 on: 22 Aug 2010, 09:26 pm »
I thought I was wrong once but I was just mistaken!!! :duh:

That's perfect for my signature. :lol:

dB Cooper

« Reply #12 on: 22 Aug 2010, 09:42 pm »
Hey, only marginally related, but...

A couple weeks ago at the computer store where I work, named after a type of fruit, a customer asked me "How much d9oes this laptop weigh?"
"4.5 pounds", I replied.
"And how much does it weigh with all the software loaded on?"
 :o  :o  :o  :o
In case you're feeling dumb (I once had my VCR paused thru the remote and took an embarrassing amount of time figuring that out), my story may help...

pjchappy

« Reply #13 on: 22 Aug 2010, 11:33 pm »

That's hilarious! :lol:

Paul

srb

« Reply #14 on: 23 Aug 2010, 12:33 am »
Aaah, getting older.

I have tried to answer the phone with the TV remote, change the TV channel with the phone, and having driven home and locking the car with the keyfob remote, with groceries in hand, tried to open the front door with the same remote.

Unfortunately I don't have a wireless front door lock and did figure out that I needed to insert a key into the lock.

Steve

luke357sig

« Reply #15 on: 23 Aug 2010, 01:23 am »
Steve,

Are you my long lost twin brother? :)

decal

« Reply #16 on: 23 Aug 2010, 02:14 am »
That's perfect for my signature. :lol:
Feel free to use it,just send me a check or MO for $1500.00 for the rights!!!! :rotflmao:

ricmon

« Reply #17 on: 23 Aug 2010, 05:56 pm »
For the past few days I have been less than happy with the sound eminating from my SongTowers and Ultravalve Amp...Been driving me nuts.

Then on my hands and knees with a flashlight and reading glasses on I notice a few buttons on my AVA Insight+ Preamp...

Need I say more!!

Alex

I had the exact same experience with my TR7.  and probably felt the same way upon discovery of the mono/stereo switch. :duh:

Ric

ctviggen

« Reply #18 on: 23 Aug 2010, 06:01 pm »

Need I say more!!

Alex

Why include such a strange option?  What is this used for?

geezer

« Reply #19 on: 23 Aug 2010, 06:05 pm »
Once a person convinces themselves they have a righteous beef the facts may do little to dissuade them. I was working in a HiFi store in West LA when an older gent came in and asked for the special we were running on Dual turntables. I told him we didn't carry that brand. He immediately accused me of a bait and switch scheme. I explained I wasn't trying to switch him to anything and, furthemore, we didn't advertise in the newspaper where he claimed to have seen our ad. I politely told him he had made a mistake but he left in a cloud of anger. 20 minutes later he was back with the ad in his hand a mean look on his face. I pointed out that the store in question was a "Camera and HiFi" store clear on the other end of town (albeit with a somewhat similar name to our shop) and that the ad even had a nice little map showing their location, 15 miles away. I offered to call ahead for him to see if they had any Duals left on sale. He left even angrier than before and swore loudly that he would never deal with us. Fortunately, he never did.

These people vote!!!!