Funny Story....or Am I Really Getting Older?

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Re: Funny Story....or Am I Really Getting Older?
« Reply #40 on: 25 Aug 2010, 07:46 pm »
Turkey,

Perhaps you know this, maybe not, or at least for others. This tuner had (I owned one) had the capability to play both turners at the same time. Why you ask? Because in the early days before they figured out how to make a multi-path signal (stereo), the stations would use their FM station to broadcast one channel, and the AM station to broadcast the other channel. This was usually done in the evening during "prime time". Of course, your station needed to have both AM and FM to do this, and while it "worked", it was more of an amusement then anything else. It's like the days just before stereo TV, when FM stations would simulcast the audio portions of a concert on TV, like the King Bisket Flower Hour or something like that.

Wayner  :D

DAMN, Wayner!  I have insisted for YEARS that Disney did that with parts of "Fantasia".  Our family was all excited about it, and the dying dinosaurs burned an image in my mind I've never forgotten.

When I retell that story people say I am nuts.  That may be true, but not because I am making this one up.  Not sure  the sound thing worked out, but I distinctly remember all the fuss.  :hyper:

turkey

« Reply #41 on: 25 Aug 2010, 08:13 pm »

Well, technically it's not Dupont brand Teflon®, but generic PTFE!

You're right. I just tend to call anything that's PTFE Teflon. :)

But I stand corrected.

I don't quite understand the similarity between Gore-Tex® breathable fabric and Gore-Tex® 100% expanded PTFE Gasket Tape.  Is the gasket tape also supposed to pass water vapor but seal water?  Probably not, I guess they just share the W.L. Gore tradename.

It makes for a very soft, but strong gasket tape that conforms to whatever it's put on.. I suppose it might even be less expensive since it uses less PTFE.

They use the same stuff for dental floss, and I assume it's for similar reasons.

I think I remember seeing that the first thing they used the material for was for covering burns. It kept out bacteria and dirt, but allowed the wound to breath.

craig223

« Reply #42 on: 25 Aug 2010, 08:22 pm »
In a former job, I was the unofficial computer "guru" who helped everyone with their computers.  Got a call from a guy with a PhD in engineering about MS Word not working correctly on his computer.  After working on Word with him for about 30 minutes, we kept having very strange errors.  That's when I happen to notice that he had covered his computer with refrigerator magnets!  They had erased portions of his hard disk...

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #43 on: 25 Aug 2010, 08:58 pm »
In a former job, I was the unofficial computer "guru" who helped everyone with their computers.  Got a call from a guy with a PhD in engineering about MS Word not working correctly on his computer.  After working on Word with him for about 30 minutes, we kept having very strange errors.  That's when I happen to notice that he had covered his computer with refrigerator magnets!  They had erased portions of his hard disk...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Years ago I worked in a stereo store, and the cash register power cord had a loose connection in the floor.  Our top salesman, a very high-strung type, tried to ring up a multi-thousand dollar purchase with the customer standing right in front of him.  The register jammed and he panicked, so I strode confidently up the aisle, went though all kind of mystical kung-fu-like gestures before pointing at the register and yelling "SHAZZAM!!" and the machine sprung into action (of course at the same time I stepped on the power cord). 

And I just turned and walked away, and left HIM to explain it to the customer................

srb

« Reply #44 on: 25 Aug 2010, 09:27 pm »
Many years ago I worked for an alarm company and would troubleshoot and repair burglar alarms, whether from a false alarm or an actual break-in.  One of the other tasks was to asist businesses that couldn't set the alarm when closing.

I was at one of those calls and there were never any schematics available.  There was one interior door that was propped open with a metal milk crate.  I couldn't find any alarm contacts on the door, and the customer told me that particular door was propped open every night anyway.

Another alarm tech, a young hot shot, stopped by to lend some assistance, as I wasn't getting anywhere.  He walked in the front door, walked over to the propped open door, kicked the crate, sending it tumbling across the floor, and headed back toward the front door without saying a word and without breaking stride.  The door's auto-closing mechanism slammed it shut and the green "ready" alarm light lit!

Moral to the story:

Don't accept any customer's "facts" as truth.  Take the time to verify each possible part of the puzzle.

Steve

turkey

« Reply #45 on: 26 Aug 2010, 01:48 pm »
Some years ago I briefly worked on a helpdesk.

Time and time again these people would call up and say something didn't work on their computer. You'd ask them if they changed anything and they'd always say, "No." A few minutes later you'd dig into it and it would turn out they changed something after all. Change it back and things start working.

I even had one that went something like this:

John Doe   "My drive got formatted and I don't know how it happened."

Me    "So then how do you know it's formatted?"

John Doe    "Uhhhhh......"

turkey

« Reply #46 on: 26 Aug 2010, 01:52 pm »
Then there was the time I called Frank.

Me     "My Fet-Valve amp isn't working. I was changing the tubes and there was this spark and now the amp doesn't work."

Frank   "Why did you change the tubes?"

Me    "Uhhhh....."

:)

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #47 on: 26 Aug 2010, 02:00 pm »
I used to work with a guy who was a nervous chain smoking wreck and whenever any type of stress would crop up he'd light up. So one afternoon a few events piled up in his mind and he lit a cig took a drag and put it on an ashtray, he then lit another cig and when I told him he just doubled his effort he took the lit cig and stuck it in his shirt pocket...moments later his button down oxford was in smoldering ruins and he was jumping around like a madman. Once the fire was out he sat down and lit up another cig all the while as the original burned down to nothing in the ashtray...thats just funny!!!

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #48 on: 26 Aug 2010, 02:27 pm »
I used to work with a guy who was a nervous chain smoking wreck and whenever any type of stress would crop up he'd light up. So one afternoon a few events piled up in his mind and he lit a condom took a drag and put it on an ashtray, he then lit another condom and when I told him he just doubled his effort he took the lit condom and stuck it in his shirt pocket...moments later his button down oxford was in smoldering ruins and he was jumping around like a madman. Once the fire was out he sat down and lit up another condom all the while as the original burned down to nothing in the ashtray...thats just funny!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

In a different camera shop I worked in we sold 510v batteries for professional flashes.  We'd test 'em for voltage before selling new ones, and one guy got distracted and held the metal parts of the test leads before jamming them into the battery.  That was fun to watch!

chlorofille

• 8'' MTM with scanspeak 21w8554 & D2904 7100
« Reply #49 on: 26 Aug 2010, 02:37 pm »
Ouch!@#

What injuries did he suffer from ?

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #50 on: 26 Aug 2010, 02:41 pm »
Most of the damage was to his pride, as we were all standing around laughing.     :lol:

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #51 on: 26 Aug 2010, 03:01 pm »
I used to be sponsored by Fibes drums, I had a clear lucite set and I always had the front bass drum head off and a blanket inside to dampen the sound. One night we're playing in this bar and it is packed, like wall to wall packed...I'm all into playing with my eyes closed and head down and bobbin and suddenly I feel something moving my bass drum...I open my eyes and look down and there lying in my bass drum is some guy staring up at me through the clear bass drum with his glasses all crooked who just got punched out and fell into my kit. I start really working the bass drum pedal trying to get this guy out of my friggin drum..Boom, Boom, Boom, he was out cold crooked glasses and all, we had to stop playing and have the bouncers extract him from my kit!!!  :banana piano: :drums: :guitar:

chlorofille

« Reply #52 on: 26 Aug 2010, 03:09 pm »
I start really working the bass drum pedal trying to get this guy out of my friggin drum..

I don't think ageing has affected you yet. That is done with youthful exuberance!! :lol: :lol:

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #53 on: 26 Aug 2010, 03:25 pm »
I'm 52 now and was 25 then....its all about lists now and making sure I carry my glasses with me at all times!!!

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #54 on: 26 Aug 2010, 04:32 pm »
When something breaks or stops or doesnt act that way it did a short while ago, I have learned to fight off the impulse to try to fix something that I probabaly was the cause of.

Especically with computers, wireless connections, and stereo stuff!!!..

Lets see:

1. 2 ch analog
2. Multi Channel analog
3. Digital Coax out
4. Optical Out
5. HDMI out
6. DSP's
7. DAC's
8. HT Bypass
9. Calibration Routines
10. Power on / off sequences
11. Multiple CD decks
12. Squeezebox Stuff
13. and on and on and on..

Its no wonder we can get it right !!! Hmmmm where have the simple days gone?

Smiling
Alex

srb

« Reply #55 on: 26 Aug 2010, 06:37 pm »
I start really working the bass drum pedal trying to get this guy out of my friggin drum...

My drummer buddy has a set of clear Fibes.  To my knowledge he's never had a person inside his bass drum.

Drummers hate it when dudes get stuck inside their bass drum.

Steve

chlorofille

« Reply #56 on: 26 Aug 2010, 06:49 pm »
LOL  :lol: :green: :duh:

Upon second thought, how does one get stuck in a bass drum ?
I'm finding it hard to visualize ! Help~~

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #57 on: 26 Aug 2010, 06:58 pm »
The fact that his glasses were all crooked and he's just laying face up all passed out head and neck inside the drum and legs akimbo out stretched in front of the set just cracked us up...was a classic "toon"....