Favorite bottled Steak Sauce?

underdog64

Favorite bottled Steak Sauce?
« on: 19 Aug 2010, 03:29 am »
For me it's Peter Luger's Steak Sauce.Used to be $10 a bottle out here in Az at AJs gourmet supermarket now about $6.Great on burgers too.My old fave was Bobby Flay's Mesa Steak Sauce but that has been discontinued in stores only available mail order.He has posted the recipe and I have made my own version on occasion -not bad.

Construct

Re: Favorite bottled Steak Sauce?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2010, 04:07 am »
Ironically, I never put sauce on steak.  If the ribeye or porterhouse can't stand on it's own merits and spice(s)  then it's not worth eating.  I do like small batch, local sauces on burgers or cheap cuts of meat.  I just feel that sauce on good steak is defeating the purpose of good steak.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2010, 04:12 am »
^ Same here - never actually put it on steak, but for hamburgers, and to mix in other dishes like meatloaf, you can' beat HP Sauce.

Wiki Link

pjchappy

« Reply #3 on: 19 Aug 2010, 04:18 am »
Ditto.

I like to dip fries and maybe some other things in steak sauce, but not a steak.

Paul

Construct

« Reply #4 on: 19 Aug 2010, 04:23 am »
HP is gooooood:D

aragon63

• Dorian, Lydian, Phrygian,Jazz Minor
« Reply #5 on: 19 Aug 2010, 04:24 am »
 This one is great.....

Rectum Ripper XXX1/2 Hot Sauce, 5oz.

Habanero Peppers, Apple Cider Vinegar, Crushed Tomatoes, Key Lime Juice, Clam Juice, Worcestershire, Honey, Carrots, Mustard, Ginger, Garlic In Water, Onions, Spices, Tic Gum

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 19 Aug 2010, 04:37 am »
I'm a middle grounder I guess. Generally I like my steak simple, salt & pepper, same as my salmon & halibut. But for variety I do use some sauce on part on occasion. Favorite so far in that dept. is Smith & Wolinsky, 2nd would probably be simple Worchester Sauce (Lea & Perrins my preference). Lea & Perrins has a good steak sauce as well, but a tad sweet.

underdog64

« Reply #7 on: 19 Aug 2010, 05:23 am »
Somebody mentioned HP sauce regarding meatloaf.Do you mix HP IN the meatloaf/put ON the finished meatloaf/or both?

Stu Pitt

« Reply #8 on: 19 Aug 2010, 09:25 am »
I agree with keeping steak plain.  No sauce needed on a great cut IMO.  I'll put fresh ground pepper on it before cooking, but that's about it.  Salt to taste after it's cooked.  For a cheap cut of steak, I'll most likely do the same.   Maybe a little garlic before cooking, and a very small amount of butter afterward. 

Peter Lugar's Steak Sauce is very good.  It doesn't taste like traditional steak sauce IMO.   It's more like cocktail sauce.   I've used it instead of cocktail sauce occasionally.  I've also used it on pork and chicken.

PhilNYC

« Reply #9 on: 19 Aug 2010, 10:14 am »
Ironically, I never put sauce on steak.  If the ribeye or porterhouse can't stand on it's own merits and spice(s)  then it's not worth eating.  I do like small batch, local sauces on burgers or cheap cuts of meat.  I just feel that sauce on good steak is defeating the purpose of good steak.

+1

ctviggen

« Reply #10 on: 19 Aug 2010, 11:05 am »
I also never use steak sauce on steak.   However, I've been to restaurants where they use sauces, like a red wine reduction.  That's not been bad, but I like my steak as steak. 

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 19 Aug 2010, 12:10 pm »
I like Heinz 57 and Leah & Perrin's Worc...But not on steak.  The former is good on pork & chicken, the latter great on burgers and in sauces.  I like my steaks au naturale. :)  Maybe a smear of butter...

Stu Pitt

« Reply #12 on: 19 Aug 2010, 12:16 pm »
My wife asked for steak sauce at Morton's once.  The server was actually pretty good about it.

At the end of the day, do whatever makes you happy.  No sense in not eating something the way you enjoy it.

Kinda reminds me of a vendor at a festival a while back.  I ordered sausage without the peppers and onions.  The guy acted like a douche bag about it.  I told the guy I'm the one eating it, not him.  I told him I'd actually be saving him some money, then went to the vendor across from him and ordered one.  Smiled and waved to him as I enjoyed my sausage sub minus the peppers and onions.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #13 on: 19 Aug 2010, 02:30 pm »
Somebody mentioned HP sauce regarding meatloaf.Do you mix HP IN the meatloaf/put ON the finished meatloaf/or both?

My wife mixes it in. I'm not sure how much, but I think it's a couple of tablespoons. It adds a nice "zip" to the flavor.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #14 on: 19 Aug 2010, 02:36 pm »
For me it's Peter Luger's Steak Sauce.Used to be $10 a bottle out here in Az at AJs gourmet supermarket now about $6.Great on burgers too.My old fave was Bobby Flay's Mesa Steak Sauce but that has been discontinued in stores only available mail order.He has posted the recipe and I have made my own version on occasion -not bad.

Did you know that the Luger steak sauce  was never intended for the steak. It was for the tomato and onion salad. Shocked me as well.
  Lugers claim to fame is lathering clarified butter on the steak mixing with the natural juice of the steak.

Besides a great steak needs no sauce just good steak. :thumb:

charles

ctviggen

« Reply #15 on: 19 Aug 2010, 03:37 pm »
Did you know that the Luger steak sauce  was never intended for the steak. It was for the tomato and onion salad. Shocked me as well.
  Lugers claim to fame is lathering clarified butter on the steak mixing with the natural juice of the steak.

Besides a great steak needs no sauce just good steak. :thumb:

charles

That's not a bad idea about the clarified butter.  It would add creaminess without adding much, if any, flavor.   

turkey

« Reply #16 on: 19 Aug 2010, 05:23 pm »
I almost never put sauce on a steak. I have had steaks at a couple of restaurants that needed it, but I never go back to those places.

I occasionally get sauteed mushrooms and onions on a steak. Does that qualify as steak sauce? :)

For burgers I use mustard. I don't even think I have a bottle of steak sauce in the house.

That Mesa sauce that was mentioned looks interesting, so I think I'll try making some and see what it's like.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/black-angus-new-york-strips-with-mesa-steak-sauce-recipe/index.html

Savage

« Reply #17 on: 24 Aug 2010, 04:14 am »
I agree if I'm going to grill the steaks out back, the only sauce it ever sees is saliva.

The next day what's left, if any, gets cut up into thin strips and sauteed for a great sandwich. It gets a good helpin' of my favorite hot sauce, Tapatio. It's super cheap, readily available, and the only one I have found that has no vinegar. Vinegar is a primary component of all other hot sauces that I have looked closely at.

I rarely order steak at a restaurant, as I can do a great job of it at home. But I'm a sucker for a Filet Oscar. Tenderloin topped with asperigus spears, crabmeat, and bearnaise.

Savage

« Reply #18 on: 24 Aug 2010, 04:29 am »
Montreal steak seasonings the bomb. Consisting mostly of different coarse ground pepper and Kosher salt. And it doesn't have any sugar in it, unlike almost all seasoning blends. If you have a real hot grill and and you like steaks black and blue, then it's not a bad idea to have sugar, as it will burn and give you a good crust, but otherwise on most grills, I don't like sugar on my steaks. And the Kosher salt isn't just for the Jewish, it is pure and doesn't contain the mineral impurities found in table salt, giving it a much cleaner taste. I usually use either use Kosher or Sea Salt if I'm looking for extra mineral impurities, but rarely table salt. If you eat one meal a month at most restaurants, you'll get your Iodine fix and won't grow a goiter. Gee I'm hungry now...

Savage

« Reply #19 on: 24 Aug 2010, 04:35 am »
Before somebody corrects me, I'll correct myself. The Oscar comes with the Hollandaise rather than Bearnaise. The only difference is that Bearnaise has added tarragon.

Once a diamond waiter, always a 4 diamond waiter.