Best Tube Pre-Amp (Cost No Object)

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
Best Tube Pre-Amp (Cost No Object)
« on: 17 Aug 2010, 03:22 pm »
Assuming one has a lot of money and he/she is in search of the best tube pre-amp existed, what would be your choice? :)

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: Best Tube Pre-Amp (Cost No Object)
« Reply #1 on: 17 Aug 2010, 03:25 pm »
I may still be in the honeymoon phase but I am liking what I am getting out of my 3-box Aesthetix Callisto Signature.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 17 Aug 2010, 05:56 pm by woodsyi »

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #2 on: 17 Aug 2010, 04:04 pm »
CAT. Zanden, CJ, Audio Research.

charles

Eric

« Reply #3 on: 17 Aug 2010, 04:05 pm »
The best preamp I have heard has been the SAS 11A

Construct

« Reply #4 on: 17 Aug 2010, 04:05 pm »
I am sure audio note ongaku has a version for only $350,000.

chadh

« Reply #5 on: 17 Aug 2010, 04:07 pm »

I have no experience with anything that might be close to the best.  But the ones I find myself lusting after are the Supratek Cabernet Dual, deHavilland Mercury 3 and the Wyetech Labs Opal.

I'll never own any of them, though.

Chad

Jon L

« Reply #6 on: 17 Aug 2010, 04:14 pm »
I may still be in the honeymoon phase but I am liking what I am getting out of by 3-box Aesthetix Callisto Signature.  :thumb:

You are certainly at least very close  :green:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 17 Aug 2010, 04:21 pm »
What are you looking for Hugh?

Build quality?

Type of design (circuit/tube/solid state)?

Maximum flexibility/features?

No added sound? 

Added sound (dynamics/gain/soundstage/colorations/etc.)?

TheChairGuy

« Reply #8 on: 17 Aug 2010, 05:33 pm »
If it isn't dual mono straight back to independent/separate power supplies...I wouldn't consider anything as 'best'

There's no 'essentially' dual mono either (as many makes would have one believe).  You either have two separate preamps forming a stereo pair or you don't :)

The payoff in stereo imaging and separation is palpable...and thrilling  :drums:

Strictly voltage regulated, especially with tube preamps, makes things less soggy sounding - like real music sounds. 

There's a ton of stuff a layman like myself wouldn't know about preamps...but, the two above are a couple 'ticking' points I wouldn't consider a preamp if missing. Especially if I was to spend a very high amount on a preamp.

I wonder how the newest 'b' revision on the Audible Illusions Modulus 3 sounds?  I think it's $3500 now (from $2800)....certainly a contender for 'best' preamp this venerable classic is.  At $3500, relatively cheap, too, next to many others.

John

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #9 on: 17 Aug 2010, 06:49 pm »
What? How much?  $350K?  WOW!
I am sure audio note ongaku has a version for only $350,000.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #10 on: 17 Aug 2010, 06:51 pm »
JLM,

I'm thinking of an overall (be it build quality and/or other factors) tube pre-amp and would like to get inputs from you guys to broaden my knowledge.

Thanks,
What are you looking for Hugh?

Build quality?

Type of design (circuit/tube/solid state)?

Maximum flexibility/features?

No added sound? 

Added sound (dynamics/gain/soundstage/colorations/etc.)?

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #11 on: 17 Aug 2010, 06:53 pm »
John,

Only $3500?  I just might order one and experience for myself.

I've been using a Melody P1688 Signature for the last few years along with a Joule Electra VZN-100 which I got from our own TomS...Thanks Tom, and I think it may be time to try to explore others.

Thanks John,
If it isn't dual mono straight back to independent/separate power supplies...I wouldn't consider anything as 'best'

There's no 'essentially' dual mono either (as many makes would have one believe).  You either have two separate preamps forming a stereo pair or you don't :)

The payoff in stereo imaging and separation is palpable...and thrilling  :drums:

Strictly voltage regulated, especially with tube preamps, makes things less soggy sounding - like real music sounds. 

There's a ton of stuff a layman like myself wouldn't know about preamps...but, the two above are a couple 'ticking' points I wouldn't consider a preamp if missing. Especially if I was to spend a very high amount on a preamp.

I wonder how the newest 'b' revision on the Audible Illusions Modulus 3 sounds?  I think it's $3500 now (from $2800)....certainly a contender for 'best' preamp this venerable classic is.  At $3500, relatively cheap, too, next to many others.

John

kingdeezie

« Reply #12 on: 17 Aug 2010, 06:57 pm »
Can I suggest Purity Labs (Response Audio)?

I have a earlier version of what would become the Purity One and I love it. It is very musical and has a hint of warmth while maintaining great detail.

I am sure the higher up versions in the Purity line are amazing.

If I had the money, I would love to get a Purity Silver Statement.  :thumb:

arthurs

« Reply #13 on: 17 Aug 2010, 07:08 pm »
You know my affinity for the VAC Signature so I really think it's terrific, but would also second what Chris said about the new Purity line, I think it will be well worth checking out....

dmatt

« Reply #14 on: 17 Aug 2010, 07:24 pm »
The ModWright LS 36.5 DM?

In May 2008, Srajan Ebaen said "The ModWright LS/PS 36.5 now dethrones the Cabernet Dual from Oz to reset the ceiling of what I think a premium valve preamp should be and do."

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/modwright4/365+.html

Of course, a lot can happen in audio in two years.

Note, I haven't heard any of the Supratek preamps (I wish I had) or any of the more expensive preamps mentioned.

John, does the MW LS 36.5 DM meet your two criteria?

David

TheChairGuy

« Reply #15 on: 17 Aug 2010, 07:31 pm »
I've been thinking about it myself :idea:

Your profile says your in California...I've bought a few things from Alan at AudioWaves all the way up north in Trinidad, CA and he's an Audible Illusions dealer.

His price list states $3495.00 for it....with MM section (John Curl designed low output moving coil stage is another $595.00).  http://www.audiowaveshifi.com/AW-2010_12scr.pdf

I only use Full Functioned preamps....vinyl and digital sounds better with as little hurdles in the way as possible.  I have a slight preference for SS full functioned preamps as they amplify cartridge voltages cleaner.

I've had the pleasure of hearing a Classe (SS) preamp recently and it was stunning.  It was $8K, I would personally not spend it...but given the prices of lesser featured preamps, I suspect it's something of a bargain.

The AI seems to be genuine value - the 'b' revision is the first update in 10 years for this venerable classic.

Cheers, John

John,

Only $3500?  I just might order one and experience for myself.

I've been using a Melody P1688 Signature for the last few years along with a Joule Electra VZN-100 which I got from our own TomS...Thanks Tom, and I think it may be time to try to explore others.

Thanks John,

underdog64

« Reply #16 on: 17 Aug 2010, 07:31 pm »

TheChairGuy

« Reply #17 on: 17 Aug 2010, 07:35 pm »
John, does the MW LS 36.5 DM meet your two criteria?

David

Not sure David...haven't reviewed the specs or looked at the innards...I would fail my 3rd criteria, tho. 

No linestages for me 8)...that would necessitate the use of an outboard phono stage...which adds additional lengths of IC, rca's, solder points and longer transmission line for eeny-weeny phono signals to jump over. 

It's a mostly backward step I think to enjoying vinyl (which is my hi-res front end choice)

(I've met Dan 'Mod' Wright before...he's an awfully nice fella' if that factors into anyone's purchase decision :))

Ciao, John

dmatt

« Reply #18 on: 17 Aug 2010, 08:09 pm »
John,

I just saw your third criteria.

I only use Full Functioned preamps....vinyl and digital sounds better with as little hurdles in the way as possible. 

Cheers, John

I agree with your position.  The less in mechanical connections and cables the better.

I am lucky (or would you say unlucky?:D) that I haven't discovered vinyl yet.  I am spending enough on this hobby without adding an analog rig to the equation.

David

Steve

« Reply #19 on: 17 Aug 2010, 08:12 pm »

John

Hi John,

Stereo separation can be quite astounding in preamplifiers; say 90db typical at 10khz. This may not include phono stages however.  :(

Cheers.