Best Tube Pre-Amp (Cost No Object)

Charles Xavier

Re: Best Tube Pre-Amp (Cost No Object)
« Reply #20 on: 17 Aug 2010, 08:24 pm »
If I was seriously considering an upgrade I would go for this one.
http://tuberesearchlabs.com/products/dude.html

I it  heard once and was in awe. :thumb:

Quiet Earth

« Reply #21 on: 17 Aug 2010, 09:09 pm »
How about this one? http://www.audiovalve.info/nav/conductor_en.html

That's a nice sounding pre amp. Very transparent and lots of control. I've heard it a few times, and don't think I've heard anything better. Lot of tubes though, heat might be a consideration for some. (Although if cost is no object I guess not). At that price I would want to hear others, such as :

I am sure audio note ongaku has a version for only $350,000.

I don't know about that, but the M9 is their best phono pre amplifier. You can read about it here : http://www.audionote.co.uk/products/preamp/m9_phono_01.shtml#

If I ever ditch my TVC, it will probably be for an M6 or M8. Assuming I can scrape together that kind of dough.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #22 on: 17 Aug 2010, 09:15 pm »
I am lucky (or would you say unlucky?:D) that I haven't discovered vinyl yet.  I am spending enough on this hobby without adding an analog rig to the equation.

David
Totally....introduction (or re-introduction if you're old enough) to vinyl opens up an entire expanse of new hassles for us audiophools to grapple with :bawl:

Quote from: Steve
Stereo separation can be quite astounding in preamplifiers; say 90db typical at 10khz. This may not include phono stages however.  :(
Hey Steve - long time - good to hear from you. Yeah, I have found vinyl benefits the most from dual mono....it lags digital technologies by plenty, so preserving what precious slight stereo separation there is helps it to a slightly greater extent.

That's been my experience, at least. 90db is bested by the 100db+ stereo separation of true dual mono.  No offense intended...I realize there is a price point everyone has to build to...but, the topic title is 'Best Tube Pre-Amp (Cost No Object)'

John

Quiet Earth

« Reply #23 on: 17 Aug 2010, 10:43 pm »

There's no 'essentially' dual mono either

Left and Right originate from a shared cantilever and stylus.  :green:
(I prefer dual mono too John  :D)

Stu Pitt

« Reply #24 on: 18 Aug 2010, 02:10 am »
One of the British mags just reviewed the top of the line Audio Research preamp and said it was the best preamp they ever heard.  I know most rags hype a lot of stuff, but maybe they meant it this time?

Steve

« Reply #25 on: 18 Aug 2010, 02:36 am »

Hey Steve - long time - good to hear from you. Yeah, I have found vinyl benefits the most from dual mono....it lags digital technologies by plenty, so preserving what precious slight stereo separation there is helps it to a slightly greater extent.

That's been my experience, at least. 90db is bested by the 100db+ stereo separation of true dual mono.  No offense intended...I realize there is a price point everyone has to build to...but, the topic title is 'Best Tube Pre-Amp (Cost No Object)'

John

Hi John,

I know, it has been a long time no talk too. Hope all is going well with you and family. Is there a company that manufactures dual mono phono/line preamplifier as I did not know of any?

As a suggestion you may not like, is to purchase two stereo phono/line preamplifiers and of course use just one channel in each. I know twice the cost, but as you know only one channel is being used in each and with separate power supplies, one would obtain almost infinite separation. Since the other channel is not being used, it should not mess with the channel being used in the least.

Good to talk to you again John, and good fortune finding your components.

Cheers.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #26 on: 18 Aug 2010, 03:00 am »
Hey Steve,

There's many dual mono phono/line preamps from the 70's and 80's about...but among current crop, there are few as so few today are full featured :|

When vinyl was the norm - in the 70's and 80's - it was more commonplace.

The aforementioned Audible Illusions Modulus 3 (a and more recent b revisions) is dual mono with built in MM phono (with option for MC board in place of MM board): http://www.audibleillusions.com/products/M3A_main.htm

One outstanding SS unit is a throwback by Pioneer Elite (which is my everyday preamp/tuner).  It's model Pioneer Elite SX-a9-J receiver..fully dual mono, twin toroids, remote, AM/FM, preamp out and amp in, an excellent MM and (not-so-good) MC section, 'direct path' function which eliminates all equalization in the way and 3-step dimmer.  Loaded.

All for the princely price of $699 (recently discontinued, however): http://www.independentaudiovideo.com/store/item_view.asp?estore_itemid=1009880

The Classe preamp I heard (which was a line preamp) has a phono board option, as well, and is dual mono (and something like $8K, however).  I'm sure there's a few others...but not too many as vinyl is enjoyed by fewer than 30 years ago.

John   

denjo

« Reply #27 on: 18 Aug 2010, 03:05 am »
Not sure if it is the best in the world, but the Lamm LL2 with Lamm monoblocks are quite special! You cannot leave the listening room without feeling that the system has brought you that much closer to the music!

Steve

« Reply #28 on: 18 Aug 2010, 03:09 am »
Hey Steve,

There's many dual mono phono/line preamps from the 70's and 80's about...but among current crop, there are few as so few today are full featured :|

When vinyl was the norm - in the 70's and 80's - it was more commonplace.

The aforementioned Audible Illusions Modulus 3 (a and more recent b revisions) is dual mono with built in MM phono (with option for MC board in place of MM board): http://www.audibleillusions.com/products/M3A_main.htm

One outstanding SS unit is a throwback by Pioneer Elite (which is my everyday preamp/tuner).  It's model Pioneer Elite SX-a9-J receiver..fully dual mono, twin toroids, remote, AM/FM, preamp out and amp in, an excellent MM and (not-so-good) MC section, 'direct path' function which eliminates all equalization in the way and 3-step dimmer.  Loaded.

All for the princely price of $699 (recently discontinued, however): http://www.independentaudiovideo.com/store/item_view.asp?estore_itemid=1009880

The Classe preamp I heard (which was a line preamp) has a phono board option, as well, and is dual mono (and something like $8K, however).  I'm sure there's a few others...but not too many as vinyl is enjoyed by fewer than 30 years ago.

John

Thanks for the info John. Much appreciated.

K Shep

« Reply #29 on: 18 Aug 2010, 05:09 am »
Assuming one has a lot of money and he/she is in search of the best tube pre-amp existed, what would be your choice? :)

VTL TL-7.5 Series II, sweetest preamp I've heard.

wilsynet

« Reply #30 on: 18 Aug 2010, 09:27 am »
Convergent Audio Technology SL1 Ultimate
Atma-Sphere MP-1

chosenhandle

« Reply #31 on: 18 Aug 2010, 12:45 pm »
Atma-Sphere MP-1

same ones I was thinking of!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #32 on: 18 Aug 2010, 12:50 pm »
Atma-Sphere MP-1

Atma-Sphere MP-1   :drool: :drool:

Bet that would sound very nice with my Atma-Sphere MA-1's...

George

roscoeiii

« Reply #33 on: 18 Aug 2010, 01:05 pm »
In the "straight wire with gain" camp, how about the hybrid KWP tube preamp from Musical fidelity? A production run that was limited to only 75 or 100 preamps for the multi-chassis KWP.

But they also made a single chassis kW line stage a few years later.

Check out Fremer's reviews (and Atkinson's measurements) of both at Stereophile.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #34 on: 18 Aug 2010, 08:13 pm »
I'm curious about the Rogue Hera II.  I'm very impressed with their Ninety-Nine and wonder what those guys can do for $8K.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #35 on: 24 Aug 2010, 10:06 pm »
Thank you all for your recommendations, it looks like I'll have lots of research/audition to do. :)

Thanks again.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #36 on: 24 Aug 2010, 11:16 pm »
Two of my faves:
Modwright LS 36.5 two box dual mono with dual rectifiers
Concert Fidelity CF-080 (with Amperex long plates)..single ended only but Steve Hoffman's reference, among others

adamaley

« Reply #37 on: 24 Aug 2010, 11:43 pm »
What? How much?  $350K?  WOW!

Careful what you ask for. :icon_lol: