Help setting up a MacMini

Will2

Help setting up a MacMini
« on: 15 Aug 2010, 03:45 pm »
Hi,

Sorry for bugging everyone but I remember reading a thread somewhere that set out the optimal settings for a MacMini for audio duty.  I'm setting up a MacMini now and I've tried both the search function and looking through the threads but I must be going blind.  If it makes a difference, the Mini I'm setting up is a year old so isn't the newest version.  Can someone help?

Cheers
Will
« Last Edit: 15 Aug 2010, 06:33 pm by Will2 »

skunark

Will2

Re: Help setting up a MacMini
« Reply #2 on: 15 Aug 2010, 06:32 pm »
Thanks! 

I'm kind of surprised there was so little to it.  I thought I read somewhere a fairly involved set of settings that should be followed, but I might just be dreaming.

roscoeiii

« Reply #3 on: 15 Aug 2010, 08:32 pm »
Will2,

IIRC, there is a good deal of info about Mac Mini set-up in the Tranquility DAC thread. If you find that info or compile advice you find on this topic, it would be great if you (or other interested ACers with time on their hands) could cut and paste it into this thread so that this info is easier to find.

Will2

« Reply #4 on: 15 Aug 2010, 09:57 pm »
Ok, in an attempt to share what I find and collect it in one place, here's the first bit:

1. Shut off Spotlight indexing by removing the check in the box from every category that Spotlight can index (this is in System Preferences, the Spotlight options). This prevents Spotlight from running in the background.
2. Connect your music hard drive to the Mac by FireWire, preferably using a 2.5" drive in a drive enclosure that draws power from the FireWire port, not using a wall-wart.
3. Quoting from Eric Hider on this one:

"Turn your Dashboard off:

Open the utility program called "Terminal" (in Applications)

Type EXACTLY as written below (all spaces included, EXACTLY as written caps, spaces, dots and dashes !!!)
 defaults write com.apple.dashboard mcx-disabled -boolean YES
Hit your enter key

Now type in the next command EXACTLY as written "D"  in the word dock is CAPITALIZED
 killall Dock
Hit your enter -

Note: Your dashboard will now no longer open on your front desktop page.... and be constantly using your memory ;-)"

4. Again, quoting from Eric:

"Turn your journaling off -
Open "Disk Utility" (located in Applications/Utilities).
Highlight the name Macintosh HD on the left side of choices
To disable journaling, press Option key on keyboard, WHILE HOLDING ON TO the OPTION key - select disable journaling from the top of your screen on the file menu."

5. In System Profiler, check what devices are shared on the port that the Tranquility DAC is connected to. Try to get it onto a USB port by itself. The best I can do is get it to share a port with the IR receiver (which I don't use).

Those are the tweaks that I've used to the benefit of my system.

Happy listening.  :thumb:

Oh, and I moved from a MacBook to a Mac Mini and it does make a noticeable difference (as long as you run the Mini without a monitor, mouse, or keyboard connected; just access it via Screen Sharing from another Mac after you  turn on Screen Sharing after initial setup)

And a further note: after I moved to the Mac Mini I installed a solid state drive in it. That also improved the sound. I got a small one (64Gb OCZ Vertex Turbo, for what it's worth). It's just runs a fresh install of Mac OS 10.6.4, so it only needs 20-30 Gb of space.

And I did not upgrade the memory beyond 2 Gb. I'm using AIFF files, so there's little work by the computer to unpack them (as there would be with Apple Lossless or FLAC--but this is getting into a debated area, so make what you will of that).

newzooreview

« Reply #5 on: 16 Aug 2010, 01:33 am »
The only thing I would I add to my own compilation of tweaks above is that I did get the dB Audio power cord for the Mac Mini power supply. I was surprised that it could make such a difference, but it did. I have gone through several power cords for my previous amp and for the Tranquility DAC, and nothing improved on a $12 Volex cord on those devices. I'm not one who thinks that there should be much improvement from a power cord, in principle, so if anything I'm biased against hearing any serious difference.

roscoeiii

« Reply #6 on: 16 Aug 2010, 02:47 pm »
And let's not forget the possibility of upgrading the power supply when you are ready. There is a thread about the Bolder mods here on AC, with impressions of those who own it or got to listen to it on the Bolder PSU tour.

Here is the link to the tour thread:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=83050.0

And the review thread:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=72497.0

skunark

« Reply #7 on: 18 Aug 2010, 01:11 am »
I think these tweaks need to be qualified with a mac mini version and mac osx version..   Thing do change with each update.

Also the disabling of HFS+ journaling needs to come with a disclaimer that you are reducing the reliability of your harddrive.  The fact that journaling is only a marginal cost when writing to disk, and there's no performance impact when reading the disk make me feel that someone is playing a cruel joke here.  The main idea behind journaling is to improve the chances of survival on a power outage or other shutdown event.  So this topic probably should be further reviewed perhaps someone that can indicate if there is dataloss or increased jitter at the optical output or external dac.

Audioclyde

« Reply #8 on: 18 Aug 2010, 01:15 am »
The only thing I would I add to my own compilation of tweaks above is that I did get the dB Audio power cord for the Mac Mini power supply. I was surprised that it could make such a difference, but it did. I have gone through several power cords for my previous amp and for the Tranquility DAC, and nothing improved on a $12 Volex cord on those devices. I'm not one who thinks that there should be much improvement from a power cord, in principle, so if anything I'm biased against hearing any serious difference.

I can't seem to find the db audio pwr cord for a mac mini on their site?

Can you share any info re cost, etc.?

Thanks!

Bigfish

« Reply #9 on: 18 Aug 2010, 01:40 am »
I can't seem to find the db audio pwr cord for a mac mini on their site?

Can you share any info re cost, etc.?

Thanks!

As a Tranquility DAC Owner I received the following e-mail message from Eric concerning the new power cord:

Hello Fellow Tranquility Owners!

We have developed a new power cord that connects directly to your Mac Mini. It is constructed of 12 AWG high purity copper insulated with Teflon or Fluoridated Ethylene Propylene (FEP) and utilizes a special copper braid with cryogenically treated Wattgate connectors. It connects directly to your Mac Mini's outboard power supply with a special adapter that we provide. Standard length is 4 feet. Custom lengths are available.

So, why connect an audiophile power cord to your Mac Mini? During our research of designing a custom Mac Mini power supply we found that the interactivity of power and noise filtering along with shielding and noise drain configurations improved the overall sound of the Mini. This could be done just as effectively with a passive - power cord solution. Hence, why not just design and build a uniquely configured power cord for the Mac Mini instead of offering a power supply that costs as much as the Mac Mini itself ;-)

Sonic improvements are a more refined soundstage with better instrument and singer localization along with better high frequency overtones that are more relaxed. It's sort of along the same lines as going from another computer to a Mac Mini. Not quite as large but similar in refinement. We are currently offering a short term $100 introductory discount from the MSRP $329 price which brings the price to you at $229 total. This is only for a short period of time. This also includes an AC adapter for your IEC to connect directly to your Mac Mini's power supply. There is a 100% money back guarantee if you are not completely satisfied. These power cords will start shipping in a little over a week. Please let me know if you are interested in this offer.

Cheers,

Eric Hider
dB Audio Labs
Phone: 248-798-9555
Inquiries: ehider@me.com

skunark

« Reply #10 on: 18 Aug 2010, 02:58 am »
So did this improve the quality of the analog outputs, optical outputs or when connected up to a USB dac.   Any graphs of the noise filtering or improvements from the shielding?   

Bigfish

« Reply #11 on: 18 Aug 2010, 11:57 am »
So did this improve the quality of the analog outputs, optical outputs or when connected up to a USB dac.   Any graphs of the noise filtering or improvements from the shielding?

I have not purchased this cord as I opted for a Bolder Linear Power Supply.  Others have purchased the cord and will hopefully post their comments.

Ken