BOLDER Cable Mac Mini Power Supply Tour

Wayne1

BOLDER Cable Mac Mini Power Supply Tour
« on: 1 Jul 2010, 02:01 pm »
It appears that a few folks on AC are using the Mac Mini for a music server. One of the topics that comes up is "How do I get the best sound out of my Mac Mini?" One of the ways suggested is to change out the switching power supply to a linear PS.

There are not many available. It does cost a bit to build a linear supply with 18.5 volts at 6 amps.

I built a lower current one for silverlight and he was favorably impressed

Review: BOLDER Mac Mini PS

I have updated the design from the one I built silverlight. I am using a much larger toroidal transformer to deliver greater current.

If you are interested in comparing one of my linear power supplies to the stock switcher, please get in contact with me. I would like to limit the tour to 4-6 people. Each one will have it for a week and then pay for insured shipping to the next person on the tour list.

I will include the power supply, I have a slightly beat up case I will use for it, The DC cable to plug into the Mac Mini and an AC cable. Feel free to try other AC cables to see what, if any, changes they might make.

I will ask that you post your thoughts about the comparison here on AC.

Thanks,
Wayne
« Last Edit: 26 Jul 2010, 01:54 pm by Wayne1 »

roscoeiii

Re: BOLDER Cable Mac Mini Power Supply Tour
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jul 2010, 02:03 pm »
Count me in.

timztunz

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jul 2010, 03:32 pm »
I'm in.....

pmctexas

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jul 2010, 05:07 pm »
I'm interested - perhaps others are in the Dallas area will be interested in order to save on shipping and reduce shipping damage risk...

Bigfish

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jul 2010, 08:27 pm »
Wayne:

I would definitely like to be included in the tour of the Mac Mini Power Supply.  As I am starting vacation tomorrow I will have limited access to the internet for the next week.

Thank you for being willing to do this tour.

Ken

Wayne1

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jul 2010, 08:56 pm »
Thanks for your interest.

FYI, the power supply is currently selling for $575.00. The price will rise to $650.00 next week. I will keep the original price for any tour participants who might wish to purchase one.

Please PM or E-mail your shipping address, phone number and e-mail. I will try to arrange the tour to keep each leg close to each other. I would prefer that you ship the unit FedEx Ground. Shipping weight will be around 7 lbs.

I would also appreciate it if you could post your thoughts as to what differences you may hear in your system with the linear PS vs your stock switcher. Please completely unplug the switcher when you are listening the the linear.

Thanks,
Wayne

trianglezerius

« Reply #6 on: 1 Jul 2010, 09:07 pm »
Put me on the list...... :D

Audioclyde

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jul 2010, 09:28 pm »
Wayne, I'd like to be added to the list; I'm in Tulsa, OK.  I'll shoot you a pm with the info.

Thanks,

Randy

Wayne1

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jul 2010, 07:11 pm »
Thanks to everyone for signing up. I think we have enough people interested for me to start the tour.

Bigfish will get the PS first and then it will head to Chicago and then south for a bit.

If anyone else is interested, please PM me.

Bigfish is on vacation next week so the PS won't go out until the week of the 12th. This will also give me some time to run the PS in under load.

Wayne1

« Reply #9 on: 16 Jul 2010, 09:13 pm »
Everything always takes longer and costs more than anticipated  :duh:

The power supply is starting out on the tour today. Ken should hopefully receive it next week.

Bigfish

« Reply #10 on: 24 Jul 2010, 07:10 pm »
Guys:

I arrived home from my sales travels last night to discover Wayne's Mac Mini Power Supply had arrived.  Wayne told me he had no break-in time on it and as we had company I plugged it in overnight.  I guess I should provide details of my system:

Amp:  Moscode 402AU
Music Files: Stored on W.D. Fire Wire External Drive in .aiff
Transport:  Mac Mini with 4 GB of Ram and SS Hard Drive
DAC:  Tranquility with DB Audio USB Cable
Preamp:  Mapletree 2A SE with 6SN7 Tung-Sol Round Plates
Speakers:  Usher Dancer Mini II's with Diamond Tweeters
SCs:  JPS Superconductor 3's
ICs:   JPS Superconductor 3"s
PCs:  Black Sands Silver MKV's
Music Software:  Pure Music in Hog Mode
Power:  Two Dedicated 20 AMP circuits
Room is reasonably well treated

Today"s Test Tracts:

Jennifer Warnes --"Way Down Deep"
Pearl Jam --- "Yellow Ledbetter"
Alison Kraus --"When You Say Nothing At All"

Firstly, this is not an easy comparison to run because I have to shut-down, switch power supplies, restart the computer and restart Pure Music. 

Wayne asked me to post my initial thoughts and they are as follows:

"Way Down Deep" begins with shakers or rattles being played.  The sounds of the beads or rattles are much more distinct and detailed sounding with Wayne's Linear Power Supply.  This tract also has some very low bass and my wife confirmed my thoughts that the bass is much more controlled with the linear supply.

I think overall the linear supply provides a quieter background and overall more detail.  By the way I monitored SPL with a meter to ensure my feelings were not influenced by volume.

Tomorrow, my neighbor- a guitar player, is coming over and we plan to spend the afternoon running a comparison.  I will post our comments tomorrow evening.

Ken

Bigfish

« Reply #11 on: 25 Jul 2010, 05:46 pm »
My neighbor and I just completed a session of comparing the switching stock power supply to the demo Bolder linear power supply. The linear power supply was judged to be significantly better than the stock brick power supply. My neighbor was blind in the test as he was never told which power supply was in use. He consistently picked-out the Bolder Supply as being the best. His description was it is like H.D. TV and comparing it to standard definition.

The Bolder linear power supply provides more definition to the music, tighter bass and a much deeper soundstage. My neighbor was very surprised at the results of our listening session as he could not believe changing power supplies to a computer could make such a significant difference.

At this point I can definitely recommend the Bolder Linear Power Supply to anyone looking to further upgrade the sonic performance of the Mac Mini.  My review may not provide enough detail for some but there are some important facts:

1.  My neighbor, in a blind test, picked-out the Bolder Power Supply as being substantially better than the stock unit. 
2.  The Bolder Power Supply produces a significant improvement in the detail, definition of the music plus provides a much deeper soundstage.
3.  I plan to purchase a linear power supply from Wayne soon.
4.  I will hate to see this go to the next person on the demo tour.

Ken

Wayne1

« Reply #12 on: 25 Jul 2010, 06:25 pm »
Thanks for your thoughts, Ken.

Hold onto the PS for another few days to see if the sound changes at all.

From Ken the PS will go to Chicago. I have been contacted by some members of the Chicago Audio Society who wish to compare it to their supplies. I hope we will have more posts soon.

Bigfish

« Reply #13 on: 26 Jul 2010, 12:09 pm »
Guys:

The Power Supply now has approximately 60 hours of time plugged into an AC Outlet with 48 of that powering the Mini.  I know there are many that doubt electronic gear improves with break-in time but this thing has gone-up a notch in performance since yesterday.  What I am hearing:  Dead quiet background, the best note seperation I have heard in my system and lifelike detail. 

Oh, how I am going to hate to see this leave for its next stop!

Ken

Wayne1

« Reply #14 on: 26 Jul 2010, 02:46 pm »
Thanks for the update, Ken.

The comments Ken made about the improvement in detail and definition are caused by removing the noise the switching supply makes. Using an AC power filter may help reduce the noise, but it can't completely remove it. Only taking the source of the noise away will do that.

I would say in any audio system, replacing any switcher with a linear supply will lower the noise floor and improve detail. There are many grades of linear supplies. Some are almost as bad at making noise as switchers. The supply I am sending around is one the expensive side, but all the parts are the highest quality I can use. Everything is hand wired. No pre-made circuit boards.

The capacitors do require time to sound their best. The fourth week of use will be where things really settle down and you can hear what the power supply can do. Those of you who will be in the TX leg of the tour will get to really hear the differences.

Bigfish

« Reply #15 on: 26 Jul 2010, 05:08 pm »
Wayne:

I failed to include something that is very important in my comments about the Power Supply.  Thank you for including me on the Tour of the Power Supply.  Also thank you for providing all on the scheduled tour with the opportunity to learn the value of a high quality linear power supply driving the Mac Mini!

Ken

Guys:

I wanted to edit my post with an addition that I just completed a telephone conversation with Wayne where I placed an order for a power supply.  Yes, I definitely believe it is a substantial upgrade to the stock Mac Mini Power Supply.

Ken
« Last Edit: 26 Jul 2010, 07:50 pm by Bigfish »

Wayne1

« Reply #16 on: 26 Jul 2010, 07:56 pm »
To amplify a bit on my last post, I found out in talking to Ken that he also compared another linear power supply to the one I make and the stock switcher.

He posted about it here.

You can get your computer sounding better using a linear supply instead of a switcher. There IS a difference in how a linear supply is made, the quality of the parts used, internal layout, etc.

After hearing three different power supplies on his Mac Mini, Ken placed an order with me.

For all of those participating in the tour, I do wish to make it clear that I would not be too happy if pictures of the internals showed up on the 'net. I do not wish to deal with copycats.

Thanks,
Wayne

earflappin

« Reply #17 on: 26 Jul 2010, 08:15 pm »
Great thread.  Any chance someone could compare a MacBook Pro on battery with a Mac Mini with Wayne's LPSU?  In my system the MBP on battery smokes my MM with stock SMPS which is not that surprising I guess.  But it would be really interesting to compare the MBP on battery with the MM with Wayne's LPSU.  I'm thinking the MM might edge it out as while batteries are quiet, they don't have the same transient response.

Audioclyde

« Reply #18 on: 26 Jul 2010, 08:20 pm »
Wayne,

Just thought I would double-check and make sure I got on to the Tour list (I'm in Tulsa, OK).  I pm'ed you the requested info on July 1.

Thanks,

Randy

Wayne1

« Reply #19 on: 26 Jul 2010, 09:17 pm »
Randy,

After Chicago, there are two groups there, the PS should head down to you and then to Dallas. That should about do it for the tour.

Edit: There will be an additional stop in MN before OK and TX