Audioclyde

Re: BOLDER Cable Mac Mini Power Supply Tour
« Reply #20 on: 26 Jul 2010, 10:50 pm »
Anytime will be fine with me.

Thanks!

earflappin

« Reply #21 on: 28 Jul 2010, 04:27 pm »
In reading the various threads on how the benefits of the Bolder LPSU (linear power supply) for the Mini are realized there appear to be a couple schools of thought:

(1) The LPSU reduces HF noise back onto the home electrical grid.  This noise decreases as function of distance from the outlet you have your other audio equipment plugged into (e.g. amplifiers, DAC, pre-amp).

(2) The LPSU reduces airborne HF noise that is picked up by your audio system's cables and other components.

(3) The LPSU reduces HF noise on the USB/Firewire interface cable to one's DAC which degrades sonic performance.

It would seem from a testing standpoint that it would be helpful if the baseline was established with the Mini's SMPS located as far away as possible from one's audio equipment and to plug it into either an isolation transformer or an outlet on a different circuit than the rest of your system. 

Wayne, do you have thoughts on this to share? 

Wayne1

« Reply #22 on: 28 Jul 2010, 07:08 pm »
In reading the various threads on how the benefits of the Bolder LPSU (linear power supply) for the Mini are realized there appear to be a couple schools of thought:

(1) The LPSU reduces HF noise back onto the home electrical grid.  This noise decreases as function of distance from the outlet you have your other audio equipment plugged into (e.g. amplifiers, DAC, pre-amp).

(2) The LPSU reduces airborne HF noise that is picked up by your audio system's cables and other components.

(3) The LPSU reduces HF noise on the USB/Firewire interface cable to one's DAC which degrades sonic performance.

It would seem from a testing standpoint that it would be helpful if the baseline was established with the Mini's SMPS located as far away as possible from one's audio equipment and to plug it into either an isolation transformer or an outlet on a different circuit than the rest of your system. 

Wayne, do you have thoughts on this to share?

Yeah, the problems are ALL of the above. You can't place the MacMini PS far enough away to reduce the problem and still be able to use it in the same room. You can try filters on the AC line and the DC line but the main problem is still there.

The simplest thing to do is to remove the item that creates all the problems. Pull the switcher and use a high quality linear PS.

The power supply should be arriving in Chicago sometime this afternoon.

Bigfish

« Reply #23 on: 2 Aug 2010, 01:48 pm »
Gents:

I shipped the power supply to the Chicago area and FedEx claims delivery on Wednesday.  I was just hopeful others had the opportunity to try it and would post their comments!

Ken

Wayne1

« Reply #24 on: 2 Aug 2010, 06:02 pm »
Gregg Strahley and some members of the Chicago Audio Society have the PS now.

Gregg sent me an E-mail on Thursday with his initial impressions:

"I listened to your power supply over at a fellow members house. He has these custom modified Magnapan 1.6 speakers. His amps are an old model from Atma-Sphere. He is using Amara software in his mini.

I have to say that my initial impressions were pretty positive. Generally I like his system but there are somethings about it that I do not like.

I was able to hear a darker background which was allowing us to hear better micro detail. It seemed in his system to separate instruments and voices better. He put on a choir CD that I was not real familiar with. When I heard it with the stock power supply you heard one guy stand out in front and the rest of the choir was blending together. With your power supply I was able to start hearing a couple of other singers more distinctly. The soundstage became a bit wider. The bass became more defined and tighter in his system. There was a better sense of openness and less constricted. 

Definitely was a some what significant improvement IMO in his system. Especially if you are going for a less digital grainy sound.

All in all if you have an older mini and you have a resolving system your PS is a definite improvement."

Wayne1

« Reply #25 on: 3 Aug 2010, 02:59 am »
Gregg posted his thoughts in another thread today.

I thought I would copy it here to keep all the comments about the PS from the tour in one place.

First I would like to Thank Wayne for sending me the power supply to audition. I received the power supply and then brought it over to a fellow Chicago Audio Society members place.

I will briefly describe his system and then what we heard.

'09 Apple Mac Mini w/ Amarra software
   Amarra DAC
   External hard drive is a Drobo hooked up via firewire
   Speakers are Peter Gunn modified Magnepan 1.6's
   Monoblock amps are by Atma Sphere. I believe they are the M-60's but not sure
   which version.
   All cabling by Reality Cables

Previous to receiving the Power Supply I had heard from a friend that in their listening the PS did make a difference but not huge. So I had that preconceived notion going into it.
  I brought the Bolder Cable PS over on Thursday. We listened and my first impressions were very favorable. A larger change than what I was expecting. We could hear an immediate tightening of the bass with better dynamic attack. You could hear individual instruments more easily and better defined in space. There was a greater sense of air around the instruments. There more "life" to the music. It was more enjoyable to listen to.
   I left the unit with him over the weekend. I went back last evening along with another fellow CAS member. When I arrived I was told that Amarra had just introduced a software upgrade and they also had a firmware update to the DAC. He downloaded them prior to arriving. We listened and I could easily tell that the updates were increasing the resolution of his system. His system sounded even better after the updates.
   After doing some listening and becoming more familiar with the new updates and the Bolder PS in his system we put the stock Apple PS back into the system. The main thing that we picked up on is that his system now lost a lot of it's musicality. It was no longer enjoyable to listen to his system.
   We left the stock PS in and did the changes to the Apple Mini that are listed in the DB Tranquility DAC thread. We made the changes to the Mini per the detailed instructions. I have to say that the changes brought the Mini to a level that equaled or surpassed in some ways the PS upgrade. It was much more enjoyable to listen to again. Even with the stock PS. I was awe struck that the modified Magnepan speakers could have the dynamic attack in the bass that they now had. Every ribbon type of speaker that I have ever heard before could not do the slam that these speakers were doing. Maggies (in general) do not do bass dynamics well as compared to dynamic speakers. So for all Apple computer owners that use them for audio it is imperative that you do the changes. Even is you are not using a Mini. After doing the changes to the Mini and listening we started up the computer in 64 bit mode. More icing on the cake which I will not get into detail but I would highly recommend it.
  After becoming acclimated to the stock PS with the changes to the Mini we went back and put the Bolder Cable PS back in. All that I can say is that it just improves the sound. The bass even got more tighter and better defined. We were able to hear individual instruments easier. It became even more enjoyable to listen to.
  We had a Hi Rez download that we were listening to. Not sure the name but it is a number of singers that some are also making sounds in the background. I would call it Beatbox like. Without the Bolder PS you could hear a main singer and others harmonizing in the background. Your could hear the Beatbox rhythm but it was less defined. With the Bolder PS you could now distinguish 3 other singers individually along with the Beatbox rhythm more distinctly. You could pick up on the individual type of sound that the Beatbox sound was making.
  When it comes to ultra high end audio this is the types of things that you are striving to improve to. If you are going for high end audio computer and are using a Mini this Bolder Cable power supply is a must to go to the next level. We have tried things like isolation and power conditioning into the mini along with other tweaks. Those are smaller in comparison to this. The Bolder PS and the internal changes to the Apple computers will bring you to another level that you have not heard before in your computer audio system.
  That said these kinds of changes that I am referring to may not be audible with mid fi type of systems. If your speakers are right up against the back wall you will not be able to pick up on the instruments in there 3 dimensional space. If your system does not have the resolution you may not be able to hear as easily each singer as easily as we did.

Thanks again Wayne,

Gregg

You are very welcome, Gregg and thank you and your friends for listening and commenting.

Wayne1

« Reply #26 on: 10 Aug 2010, 04:25 pm »
As an update, the MacMini PS was auditioned in three systems in Chicago. All who heard it though it made quite an improvement and all are thinking of purchasing one as funds allow.

The PS was sent out to MN on Friday. After a short stay there it will be going back to Chicago and then south.

Wayne1

« Reply #27 on: 13 Aug 2010, 12:14 am »
The tour will be delayed slightly. When the supply reached MN, it was reported not to work. I have asked for it to be sent to me to find out what has happened to it. After I determine the problem and repair it, I will send it back to MN and the tour will resume.

Sorry if this causes any problems.

tunedin

« Reply #28 on: 16 Aug 2010, 08:38 am »
Would someone please provide the link to the "changes to the Mini" mentioned by Gregg in his report on the new PSU?

" ... changes to the Apple Mini that are listed in the DB Tranquility DAC thread. We made the changes to the Mini per the detailed instructions. I have to say that the changes brought the Mini to a level that equaled or surpassed in some ways the PS upgrade".

Thanks!

gstraley

« Reply #29 on: 16 Aug 2010, 02:35 pm »

roscoeiii

« Reply #30 on: 16 Aug 2010, 02:44 pm »
There was also this thread started over the weekend that will hopefully turn into a central location for Mac Mini set-up and improvement questions and tweaks:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=84737.msg822941;topicseen#new

John Thomas

« Reply #31 on: 25 Aug 2010, 12:52 am »
The tour will be delayed slightly. When the supply reached MN, it was reported not to work. I have asked for it to be sent to me to find out what has happened to it. After I determine the problem and repair it, I will send it back to MN and the tour will resume.

Sorry if this causes any problems.

Just wondering if the tour has started up again. Interested in purchasing one. What is going to be the price of the PSU.

John

Wayne1

« Reply #32 on: 25 Aug 2010, 04:21 pm »
The power supply seemed to be fine when it returned to CO. I am sending it back out this week. There is a slight change to the iSense value in the cable.

The power supply and the DC cable for the MacMini but NO AC cable sells for $625.00 plus shipping.

BOLDER Mac Mini power supply

Bigfish

« Reply #33 on: 30 Aug 2010, 04:15 pm »
I purchased a Power Supply from Wayne for my Mac Mini after having the opportunity to demo the PS on Tour.  I have had the Power Supply supplying power to the Mini continuously for more than a week.  Time on the PS is 150 hours or so. 

My Mini has all of the tweaks recommended by Eric Hider of DB Audio Labs plus a SS Drive and 4 GB of ram.  I am running Pure Music with the .aiff music files on an external fire wire hard drive.  The DAC is a Tranquility fed by a DB Audio USB Cable.

This morning I listened to some tracks and switched over to the Stock Brick Power Supply.  Micro details, present with the Bolder PS are missing with the stock brick.  Sound stage is deeper and wider with the Bolder PS.  The music has more of a seductive quality with the Bolder PS :thumb:

If you want to take your Mac Mini up a serious step-up in performance I recommend you definitely evaluate the Bolder PS.

Ken

John Thomas

« Reply #34 on: 1 Sep 2010, 12:57 am »
[quote author=Bigfish link=topic=83050.msg829877#msg829877   

If you want to take your Mac Mini up a serious step-up in performance I recommend you definitely evaluate the Bolder PS.

Ken
[/quote]

Well after reading all the positive reviews and not able to get on the tour.I called Wayne yesterday and order the Mac mini power supply. It should
 be here in about 3 weeks. I believe my system will definitely benefit from it.

John

John Thomas

« Reply #35 on: 23 Sep 2010, 04:23 pm »
Well, it's been 2 1/2 weeks now since I received the bolder power supply for my 2009 mac mini. As you can see from the picture it is solid black matte finish and weights about 10 lbs. It comes with a nice DC cable to connect to the mini. I first used a regular stock left over power cord from an old component just to see what the power supply could do. First impression was I could hear a difference but nothing that would say wow. After running it for a straight week I sat down for a critical listening session.Wow huge difference the dynamics and noise floor was drastically improved. Voices sounded cleaner, instruments seemed to have more dynamic punch. Loudness level increased by 2db's. Now for the clincher removing a stock power cord and replacing it with a better cord. I used a left over Synergistic Research T-3 power cord. This has made the sound more holographic. So here's my opinion if you are using a mini as your primary source and trying to get as close to dac/transport this is the next level. Adding your favorite power cord will bring it to another level. As far as a stock 2010 mac mini stock sounding better vs. 2009 with a bolder power supply someone else will have to do that comparison.

Wayne1

« Reply #36 on: 11 Oct 2010, 07:49 pm »
Thanks for the comments, John.

The power supply tour has been delayed once again.

The RMAF is this week and I am busy finishing up products for that.

The power supply is here in CO undergoing some revisions.

If seems to work fine in some systems and not so fine in other systems. I am going to increase the current capacity.

The tour will start up again in November.