VMPS Subs and ANTI-MODE 8033

John Casler

VMPS Subs and ANTI-MODE 8033
« on: 10 Aug 2010, 09:00 pm »
Over the years I have been keeping my eyes open for components that work well with and or improve VMPS'ers enjoyment of their systems.

I generally look for "quality" of function, level of improvement, ease of use, and reasonable price.

Well we now have available to us another such a product.

It is easy to use, effective, and not all that expensive considering what it does.

The last straw in picking up this product was an e-mail received by one of our great friends and customers Roger Gordon.

Roger is also a reviewer for Postive Feedback Online and the proud owner of a beautiful pair of RM30's and a LARGER Subwoofer.

He is finishing (or maybe has finished) reviewing this component and has favorable things to say about it.

That product is the ANTI-MODE 8033 from DSPeaker in Finland.  (pronounced DEE SPEAKER)

I have been monitoring the chatter on this device for a couple years now and simply have not had the opportunity to hear it, or talk to anyone who has.

We can now offer this product to anyone purchasing VMPS Subs or speakers and will work with you on a package of a SUB and ANTIMODE 8033.

If you already have a VMPS SUB, and want to pick one up here is how they are priced:

MSRP: $399
MAP: $350 (your price)

Including shipping to your door. 

We will also issue you a VMPS credit coupon for $50 value on your next purchase of $600 or more (OMG upgrade excluded)

For more information please look to the DSPeaker site.  , and watch for Roger's review in Positive Feedback Online when it is posted.

« Last Edit: 11 Aug 2010, 02:36 am by John Casler »

John Casler

Re: VMPS Subs and ANTIMODE 8033
« Reply #1 on: 10 Aug 2010, 09:10 pm »
My BAD!!!

Roger has already (and JUST) published his review and it is here on Positive Feeback Online

Roger sometimes stops in to chat.  I want to thank him for such a great review, and confirming what I was hearing from others on this component.

mca

Re: VMPS Subs and ANTI-MODE 8033
« Reply #2 on: 10 Aug 2010, 09:24 pm »
I wonder how it compares to the Velodyne SMS-1?

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 10 Aug 2010, 10:50 pm »

The 8033 doesn't have a video output.  Aside from that, I havn't heard from anyone who has used both.

Also a couple weeks ago, I received the following PM from a VMPS sub user:

Hi John the antimode works as advertised!!!

Easy setup and definitely tightens the bass. Hard to believe but the rest of the spectrum is clearer and imaging seems better!!! Maybe it is because the part of the boomy bass that influenced these ares is now gone??

I see there are platforms for the 626.Are these very rigid and heavy? Can they be filled? what are dimensions?

Thanks,Paul

evan1

« Reply #4 on: 10 Aug 2010, 10:57 pm »
There is also a thread on the AVS forum about this unit . From what I heard it is supposed to be a great unit .

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 14 Aug 2010, 06:53 pm »
There is also a thread on the AVS forum about this unit . From what I heard it is supposed to be a great unit .

So far I have a few VMPS sub owners and a couple owners of other subs using it and ALL like it very much.

It is the simplest, and most cost effective way to control your BASS in your room.

While Bass is a complex sonic problem due to room dimensions, this unit will certainly go a long way to creating a more linear bass response.

John Casler

« Reply #6 on: 20 Aug 2010, 02:38 pm »
HERE is what Robert Greene of Absolute Sound has to say:

Most reviews have to balance pluses and minuses. But this one is all pluses. The AntiMode 8033 works so well and costs so little that if you have a sub-woofered system that does not do detailed adjustments to the room on its own, there is really no doubt that you ought to try the AntiMode 8033. The improvement of the bass in such a subwoofered system is going to amaze you. And look at the bargain price. Power to the people!

BobRex

« Reply #7 on: 20 Aug 2010, 02:56 pm »
But how does it work on an analog system?

ctviggen

« Reply #8 on: 20 Aug 2010, 03:50 pm »
Analog inputs to analog to digital conversion, apply correction, digital to analog conversion to analog outputs.  Or that's what I assume, anyway.

BobRex

« Reply #9 on: 20 Aug 2010, 04:18 pm »
Yeah, that's what I figured. 

John Casler

« Reply #10 on: 20 Aug 2010, 06:37 pm »
Analog inputs to analog to digital conversion, apply correction, digital to analog conversion to analog outputs.  Or that's what I assume, anyway.

That is exactly it.  It functions from 16Hz - 144Hz

It could be compared to a "simplified" D-OXO for your sub(s).

Since Brian prefers outboard amping and XO's for both the subs and mains, it compliments well.

ctviggen

« Reply #11 on: 20 Aug 2010, 06:47 pm »
It does compliment well.  I have a sub amp that has a single, adjustable notch filter, but the 8033 seems like a better -- albeit more expensive -- solution.  And, I was going to have separate HT and 2-channel pathways, so I'd be able to use the subs for 2 channel and HT. 

John Casler

« Reply #12 on: 22 Aug 2010, 06:17 pm »

This POST on AVS might offer insight

Housteau

« Reply #13 on: 24 Aug 2010, 03:39 pm »
From everything that I have read this looks to be a very nice piece of gear.  If I was not already taken care of with my modded DCX for xover and EQ duty, I would highly consider two of them for stereo subs.  How many corrections can it make and in how fine a detail?  Some units are limited to just a few of the major issues found, but what I have read seems to imply that this unit does more than just major peaks, but doesn't mention specifics.

ctviggen

« Reply #14 on: 24 Aug 2010, 04:19 pm »
If you read the AVS thread, there is some discussion about since these are individual controllers per sub, they don't take into account phase differences between subs (or mains, for that matter).  However, I think one could adjust phase separately, then apply the 8033 to the sub(s). 

I don't know how fine the resolution is.

PLMONROE

« Reply #15 on: 24 Aug 2010, 07:35 pm »
This POST on AVS might offer insight

Since both the Velodine  SMS-1 and anti node each do a A/D and D/A conversion I am not surprised that when hooked in series they tend to muddy up things. Too many conversions.

Paul

John Casler

« Reply #16 on: 24 Aug 2010, 09:15 pm »
  How many corrections can it make and in how fine a detail?  Some units are limited to just a few of the major issues found, but what I have read seems to imply that this unit does more than just major peaks, but doesn't mention specifics.

In the Q&A is states:

The Anti-Mode algorithm in 8033 is capable of  designing unconstrained custom-tailored sets of filters. All the filters except liftings are automatically controlled by 8033. There are total of 24 custom-tailored filters designed by counter-room algorithm and 2 user-activated filters in 3 different configurations. Additionally there is 1 digital subsonic filter (bypassable) and 1 analog noise-shaping filter at the DAC to enhance SNR.The contribution of the filters is in detail.

There is additional info here

John Casler

« Reply #17 on: 24 Aug 2010, 09:28 pm »
I might also add that the 8033 is pretty much perfect for those who wish to set up the VMPS "Push/Pull" system with 2 or more subs.

If you look at the rear of the unit, it has a single input, and two outs.

One out in reverse phase.  That means you only need a SINGLE 8033 to run a push pull set up since the rear sub can be run "anti-phase".

I might also suggest that a TWO sub system can also easily be run from these outputs "in phase", simply by running one of the subs "out of phase" (actually putting it in phase) :o :o :o

Sorry if that is a "mind smasher" :duh: :duh: :duh: but I hope you get my drift.

You have two usable outputs, and you can adjust the phase at the sub wiring, (reversing the speaker leads) or the sub amp if it has a phase knob or switch. :scratch:

CLEAR?

DFaulds

« Reply #18 on: 10 Sep 2010, 07:09 pm »
John, this does look like a great product, but doesn't the Velodyne support a stereo in/out so that you could use stereo subs, or even use it for room correction with a set of full range floor standers?

I'm not trying to stir anything up, but there are a lot of people, including I would expect, VMPS owners who need something like this for their full range speakers.

John Casler

« Reply #19 on: 10 Sep 2010, 08:00 pm »
John, this does look like a great product, but doesn't the Velodyne support a stereo in/out so that you could use stereo subs, or even use it for room correction with a set of full range floor standers?

I'm not trying to stir anything up, but there are a lot of people, including I would expect, VMPS owners who need something like this for their full range speakers.

I am not familiar with the Velodyne enough to comment.

Brian does have a full range product, the DOXO (digital outboard XO)

I don't think there is a reasonably priced option to operate on the analog version of our full range speakers beyond some who wish to employ various equalizers.

Those with analog XO'd VMPS can (with a little inside the box surgery) wire around their XO's and go DOXO for what you are talking about (if I understand you correctly)

Bass (as generally output by subs) is actually so low that it is heard in mono anyhow, so unless you are running your subs above 50 or 60hz having a stereo version wouldn't likely add much.  The hemispherical radiation and large wave lengths generally don't lose anything below a certain frequencies.

What may be "more" important is balancing the output of a sub or subs.

That is, if you have a sub or subs in an "unbalanced" position/placement, that draws attention to it, rather than having it in a position, or in balance with a second sub.

However, the 8033 would require "TWO" units for true Stereo separation.

That said, you CAN run two subs off a single unit as explained above.