VMPS Subs and ANTI-MODE 8033

Linkwitz Riley

Re: VMPS Subs and ANTI-MODE 8033
« Reply #20 on: 16 Jun 2011, 03:22 pm »
I was running a pair of VMPS Larger subs using an AudioControl Richter Scale III to "flatten" my room.  The result was decent, but not great.  At low to moderate volumes the system performed admirably as the peaks were tamed and the nulls were filled...and true flat 20Hz performance was acheiveable in my room.  However, the Home Theater performance was less than stellar.  The boost required to acheive flat response at the very bottom resulted in my drivers' overexcursion during explosions, etc.  I was ready to buy new subwoofers or upgrade the drivers in my current ones.
Then I picked up an Antimode 8033 and wow, what a difference.  It cured room response modes better than I could do on my own with my old EQ.  The fact that it does not boost any nulls does not seem to deteriorate the sound and in fact has cured all of my HT problems.  I like the fact that you can make an additional frequency sweep in an area other than the sweet spot in your listening room and it will improve the sound in that area tremendously while having a very minor loss of quality in the dedicated sweet spot.  This is especially useful for parties or situations where not everyone will be located "front and center." I have decided that my subs are fine as is and this little gem has not only improved the overall sound in my room but has saved me a bunch of money. 

John Casler

« Reply #21 on: 16 Jun 2011, 03:39 pm »
That is a common response to this rather simple device.

I now offer it "packaged" with all the VMPS Subs, to those so interested.

As well all VMPS Sub owners get courtesy pricing

bsoko2

« Reply #22 on: 24 Jun 2011, 08:31 pm »
I have a Larger sub that I got used and have a Anti Mode with it. In the past I have tried Audyssey Sub WQ, SMS-1, and the Anti Mode. Anti Mode is the one for my rather large 6000+ cu ft room open to other parts of the house. I was running Quad Empires with the Anti Mode  until I got the Large Sub.

Bill

pmcneil

« Reply #23 on: 29 Jul 2011, 03:04 am »
For goodness sake, get a Velodyne (used), or an SVS equalizer, or, better, get a pre/pro with Audessey 32EQx.

Forget that outdated black box recommended above.

bsoko2

« Reply #24 on: 29 Jul 2011, 03:16 am »
I have had the SMS-1, Audyssey Sub EQ, and the Anti Mode and I prefer the Anti Mode. But, that's just me!

vin69

« Reply #25 on: 29 Jul 2011, 04:58 am »
Its hilarious when somebody suggests that Antimode 8033 is outdated but Velodyne SMS-1 is not. Last time I checked AM 8033 had lot more sophisticated algorithm than SMS-1 when it comes to not just EQ/type of filters used but proper decay/time alignment also.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #26 on: 29 Jul 2011, 05:32 am »
Disregard anything posted by "pmcneil". He has an anti-VMPS agenda. I can't believe this guy hasn't been banned yet  :scratch:

"outdated black box" OMG! LOL at that one :lol:

pearsall001

• AAD 2001 monitor
« Reply #27 on: 29 Jul 2011, 11:51 am »
I'm running dual Velo SPL-1200R subs with the Anti-Mode in my combo HT/2 channel system & the results have been incredible. It's as if I awoke a sleeping giant. Highly recommended.

LHF63

« Reply #28 on: 29 Jul 2011, 02:21 pm »
Its hilarious when somebody suggests that Antimode 8033 is outdated but Velodyne SMS-1 is not. Last time I checked AM 8033 had lot more sophisticated algorithm than SMS-1 when it comes to not just EQ/type of filters used but proper decay/time alignment also.

And gets the names of the supposedly superior producer and technology wrong at the same time.  It's "Audyssey" and "MultEQ XT32". And there are only 2 pre/pros on the market at present with that technology, and they are an Onkyo and an Integra, so you might have some other audio considerations with them.

And, SlushPuppy, he has been banned, over on the Audiogon forums; he just hasn't been banned here (yet).

The guy (?) is an obvious troll, who can't seem to get over the fact that other people don't share his disappointment with certain products.  It says a lot for Brian and John that they let him go on like this for as long as they have.

Lou

John Casler

« Reply #29 on: 29 Jul 2011, 06:17 pm »
Hi Guys,

I think the reason Brian nor I have not stepped in, is that it is evident to all reading that there is a negative agenda.

However one's opinion can be valuable, and as we can see, it also caused others to offer their opposing views, which numerically were greater to the topic.

So when someone trolls it many times backfires in establishing concensus to their agenda, and the only success is drawing attention to oneself in an often negative fashion.  Should it become exceptionally mean spirited and personal, we may take a different path.

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #30 on: 29 Jul 2011, 07:13 pm »
We have free speech on this forum, and I don't mind when someone posts a negative opinion.  There's usually a reason for that.   Good gear can perform poorly, because of ancillaries such as associated equipment, setup, room problems, and human error.  What I've read by Mr McNeil's posts, the issues he raises have all been addressed.  We now have some very powerful drivers available for our subs, with Fs below 20Hz, Xmax of 15 to 27mm (best in the business), high output levels, and freedom from bottoming and other overload problems.  Used with good associated equipment in a decent envonment, just about anyone should get good results.  And I highly recommend the Antimode 8033 from personal experience.

JP78

« Reply #31 on: 29 Jul 2011, 07:20 pm »
We have free speech on this forum, and I don't mind when someone posts a negative opinion.  There's usually a reason for that.   Good gear can perform poorly, because of ancillaries such as associated equipment, setup, room problems, and human error.  What I've read by Mr McNeil's posts, the issues he raises have all been addressed.  We now have some very powerful drivers available for our subs, with Fs below 20Hz, Xmax of 15 to 27mm (best in the business), high output levels, and freedom from bottoming and other overload problems.  Used with good associated equipment in a decent envonment, just about anyone should get good results.  And I highly recommend the Antimode 8033 from personal experience.

Classy response; to be expected.  :thumb: