Lost In Translation

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Lost In Translation
« on: 23 Feb 2004, 07:10 am »
I just got back from seeing this one in the theater, and I'd have to say the "Oscar" buzz is well deserved.  Murray is an actor that sometimes amuses and often annoys me, but here he takes his acting to a level I've never seen before; his performance is subtle, and for the first time in his career he doesn't seem to be playing himself.  Or perhaps he is, but the depth of his portrayal is amazing.

This is one I wasn't sure I'd like, so I caught it at the cheap theater (all seats $3, with $2 matinees). I'll be picking this one up on DVD.

bubba966

Lost In Translation
« Reply #1 on: 23 Feb 2004, 07:13 am »
Moved from the HT circle. You ought to know better Rob... :nono:  :wink:

Drop your expectations for the vid quality on the DVD. Very soft picture. Was annoying the hell out of me.

Seems to sound good though.

It's sad there's a DTS track, yet the video quality is sub-par. :(

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Lost In Translation
« Reply #2 on: 23 Feb 2004, 07:24 am »
Whoops!  Thought I did post in the Cinema! :oops:  :lol:   Well, the picture looked pretty soft, dark & crappy at the theater tonight, and not very well focused.  The projectionist must been napping. :nono:   The sound in that particular theater of the multiplex is pretty crappy, too.

It shouldn't matter that much; it's a character driven film.  As it looked crappy anyway I doubt the DVD will bother me.  I'm sure Scarlett Johansonn will still look hot! 8)

bubba966

Lost In Translation
« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb 2004, 07:37 am »
Well, at least you dropped it in one of my circles. It just wasn't the right one... :wink:  :lol:

Yeah, it was a bit soft in the theater. And it's soft (looks even softer) on the DVD.

But Scarlett still looks hot. So that ought to keep 'ya happy!  :lol:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Lost In Translation
« Reply #4 on: 1 Mar 2004, 09:05 am »
I just finished watching the DVD and yeah, it looks a bit soft and washed out, but not much more so than it did in the theater I saw it in.  It was playing in the cheap theater, so I didn't mind so much (unlike the really scratched and crappy print of LotR: RotK that I paid full price for :? ).

I just can't say enough about this film; Murray is awesome, and I don't really consider myself a fan.  In fact, although I was rooting for Johnny Depp to win Best Actor, I was a bit dissappointed for Bill, too, as he deserved to win as well.  Coppola won a much deserved Oscar for her screenplay.  All in all a very touching and thought provoking movie, and one that always leaves me a bit melancholy and unsettled.  That's the sign of a great story, IMO.

Andrikos

Lost In Translation
« Reply #5 on: 1 Mar 2004, 04:37 pm »
It was indeed a great movie.
It showed pretty well the isolation and culture shock one has when visits a culture so radically different than their own.
As much as I hate karaoke, Bill Murray singing karaoke was inimitable. It was so real it hurt...

Too bad Sofia didn't show them *trying* to eat some extremely exotic local cuisine. It'd be fun to see Bill chasing down his sea urchin... I think that would drive the point even further home...

Woodsea

Lost In Translation
« Reply #6 on: 1 Mar 2004, 05:17 pm »
I've seen it, no need to ever see it again.  Seemed like alot of laughing at the Japanese and their evolving western culture.
Mr. Murphy did a similar culture shock thing as a Detroit cop going to tinsel town in 20 years ago.  Remember Serge?! and his espresso?
Very impressive with what you can do in 27 days though.
Bill did his usual Bill Murray schtick.  I did not get the impression of sleeplessness as I did in 'Insomnia'.
Coppola needs to learn how to enjoy herself, she only smiled once :?
I am sure her next couple of movies will be greater.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Lost In Translation
« Reply #7 on: 1 Mar 2004, 07:05 pm »
Coppola isn't in the movie, she directed it.   :scratch: At any rate, IMO, this was the first movie he's ever been in where we didn't get his usual schtick (no cats & dogs, living together)- even Groundhogs Day had a generous dose of him playing himself.

I know there are some thin skinned Japanese people pissed because they think the film mocks their country, but I didn't get that sense at all from the movie.  I think the suits from the whiskey company get sent up a bit, but the counter culture types and the young Japanese were portrayed in a glamourized wys, IMO.  Some seem offended by it, but I think the movie was aiming for the feeling of alienation that wouldn't work if they were in France, etc.  The Japanese language, culture and people are so different from our own that this 'works' for me- I don't think she meant to insult them.

Woodsea

Lost In Translation
« Reply #8 on: 1 Mar 2004, 07:15 pm »
I meant that she smiled on the academy stage when she won, not on the runway or sitting in her seat.  I am well aware that she directed it :roll:
Regarding what the Japanese thought, I know nothing about it, if it has been brought up.  This was my just my personal take after viewing.

Mathew_M

Lost In Translation
« Reply #9 on: 1 Mar 2004, 07:34 pm »
Actually I found her acceptance speech by far the best.  Not too long and very honest.  I didn't smell any BS like you get with most *cough* Sean Penn *cough* Tim Robbins *cough* Charlize Theron  acceptance speeches.

bob82274

Lost In Translation
« Reply #10 on: 1 Mar 2004, 07:56 pm »
Has any bought this one yet?  I just got my copy (havn't watched yet) and I noticed that there are little plastic tabs that lock the case shut.  This the first movie that I have owned that has this.  Is this a normal thing for this disk and does anyone else have another movie that has this type of case?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Lost In Translation
« Reply #11 on: 1 Mar 2004, 08:17 pm »
I've got a couple of movies with those funny little latches- on the last one I've almost broken the case a couple times (trying to pry it open, forgetting it latches).  The one thing I didn't like about it though is that the box is completely devoid of any type of liner or insert.

pjchappy

Lost In Translation
« Reply #12 on: 2 Mar 2004, 02:36 am »
It was my favorite of all the movies I saw last year. . .although I did miss a lot.  

Bill Murray was GREAT. . .I've always loved him, though.  I was disappointed he didn't win last night; however, it was expected.

p

bubba966

Lost In Translation
« Reply #13 on: 2 Mar 2004, 06:32 am »
Quote from: bob82274
Has any bought this one yet?  I just got my copy (havn't watched yet) and I noticed that there are little plastic tabs that lock the case shut.  This the first movie that I have owned that has this.  Is this a normal thing for this disk and does anyone else have another movie that has this type of case?

My copy has the locking tabs as well. I'd not noticed them when I took the shrink off, and was wondering what the F@*$ was going on. :oops:

But not every copy I've seen has the locking tabs. But I did see another title recently with the tabs, just don't remember which one it was.

I hope they don't continue this trend. I don't know what the tabs are supposed to do. I've never had a fully closed DVD pop open before, so I see no reason for the stupid little tabs...

Oh, and I put my copy of Lost in a new case w/out stupid little tabs. :mrgreen:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Lost In Translation
« Reply #14 on: 2 Mar 2004, 07:53 am »
That's exactly what I did, too.

Captain Humble

Lost In Translation
« Reply #15 on: 12 Mar 2004, 07:07 am »
I guess I'm in the minority but I found it:

1. Boring

2. Very Boring.

3. Extremely Boring. :sleep:

Went out and had a smoke halfway through it.  Forcing myself to go back to my seat was the toughest thing I did that week.

Give Bill an Oscar for managing to hide his comic genius for 2 hours.

robert1325

Re: Lost In Translation
« Reply #16 on: 1 Jan 2007, 07:25 pm »
Sorry for ressuracting this thread !

Have you watched it again?  It's really one of my favorite movies :thumb: ( eternal sunshine of the spotless mind and Sideways to )     

Can't understand how this would be a boring movie  :scratch:

jonwb

« Reply #17 on: 1 Jan 2007, 07:51 pm »
Sorry for ressuracting this thread !

Have you watched it again?  It's really one of my favorite movies :thumb: ( eternal sunshine of the spotless mind and Sideways to )     

Can't understand how this would be a boring movie  :scratch:

Sorry Robert, but I'm w/ Capt. Humble on this one... (except I didn't go smoke)  The only thing remotely enjoyable about this movie was looking at Scarlett Johansson  :drool:

Folsom

« Reply #18 on: 1 Jan 2007, 10:32 pm »
I would have to watch it agian but... all I remember was it being boring.

I get slightly annoyed with some movies that get credited as being amazing like this and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I feel like people want to reach out to independent stuff to be cool and hip, for something new and interesting. Then I feel like they fail, as there are lots of good independent films but the ones they choose might doing things like answering, or trying to, questions most people answered sub-consciously and never had to think about again.

ajzepp

« Reply #19 on: 1 Jan 2007, 10:37 pm »
I hope those of you who found this movie boring don't ever get your hands on a Jim Jarmusch film!  :duh:

Speaking of which, "Down By Law" is one of the best movies you've probably never heard of  :thumb: :thumb: