Lost In Translation

ajzepp

Re: Lost In Translation
« Reply #20 on: 1 Jan 2007, 10:40 pm »

I get slightly annoyed with some movies that get credited as being amazing

That's how I felt about Brokeback Mountain....I felt that was one of the worst "best" films I've ever seen. And it had nothing to do with the homosexual content....I just felt it was a disappointing film.

gitarretyp

« Reply #21 on: 1 Jan 2007, 11:34 pm »
I hope those of you who found this movie boring don't ever get your hands on a Jim Jarmusch film!  :duh:

If you thought Lost in Translation was boring (i don't, but to each his own), definitely avoid Russian cinema. Some of it's brilliant (Andrei Tarkovsky for example), but it tends to be very slow paced and methodical.
« Last Edit: 2 Jan 2007, 03:30 am by gitarretyp »

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #22 on: 2 Jan 2007, 12:08 am »
Brokeback Mountain and Lost in Translation would both easily make it into my Top 100 Greatest Films of All Time list.  There were no blazing gun battles or car chases, but I wouldn't call either "boring."  At least not to me.

Folsom

« Reply #23 on: 2 Jan 2007, 09:39 am »
I thought Brokenback Mountain was good. Well I usually describe it to people as very sad. If a movie is emotionally moving, that really makes you angry, sad, happy, etc, - well I find it to be one of the biggest qualities a movie can have.

I like some slow movies. I just felt Lost In Translation had little to offer in any aspect.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #24 on: 2 Jan 2007, 09:52 am »
I guess my age has some bearing, perhaps.  As middle age draws nearer and shadows grow longer, the disaffection and angst the Murray character feels begins to strike a chord.  No movie is all things to everyone, but I very much liked the film, and especially his portrayal.  He has a marvelous way of being funny without being comedic, if that makes sense.  You can see the absurdity, the Kafka-esqueness of his existance mirrored in his mannerisms, and the film does a wonderful job of using his alienation in a foreign land as a metaphor for his growing alienation with his own life.  Johannsen's youth and vitality is the catalyst to awakening feelings in a jaded man, even though in her own way she's more lost than he is.

I really don't like to "defend" movies- you either like it or you don't.  But this one has such meaning and affects me so profoundly that I want to at least explain what it means to me. :)

But I totally agree with you, DoS- the ability to elicit profound emotion is a true measure of a film. 

ajzepp

« Reply #25 on: 2 Jan 2007, 01:34 pm »
That's actually the one thing I often tell others I most often love about movies - the ability to get me emotionally involved. Unfortunately, one of the most 'emotionally involving' aspects of life for me is marriage. It's impossible for me to get behind a character emotionally when they are asking me to forget the fact that they are impacting another person and perhaps children. There is nothing romantic to me about making your spouse miserable while you're out banging someone else - male or female - behind their back. Infidelity is not romantic, IMO.

While I thought the cinematography was wonderful, and the acting was very good, I just didn't feel I connected with the film, I guess.

robert1325

« Reply #26 on: 2 Jan 2007, 01:42 pm »
I hope those of you who found this movie boring don't ever get your hands on a Jim Jarmusch film!  :duh:

Saw "broken flowers" twice,   not bad  :wink:

"Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind" and "lost in translation" are two of my favorite movies,  I don't like them because they are independent but because they emotionally suck you in and spit you out .    I saw LIT for the first time when I was 16...  :green:

But I like less serious films like "old school" and "wedding crashers" a lot!    

My choices for a good laugh are : Swingers, Sideways, Clerks, ...........
My choices for something serious: ESOTSM , LIT, Mean creek, Fargo, The ice storm........

Any Wes anderson film  :thumb:

Watched Almost famous yesterday,   great music and atmosphere!

Robert

mfsoa

« Reply #27 on: 2 Jan 2007, 02:37 pm »
For any Scarlett fans, did you see the pic in Allure magazine?

I saw her on the cover and thought, hmmm, wonder if there's a good shot of her inside.

What a nice suprise!

ajzepp

« Reply #28 on: 2 Jan 2007, 03:03 pm »
Robert, you have excellent taste in film, my young friend :) 

Swingers and Sideways are two of my favorite films of all time....Another off the top of my head that you may love is "Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang". Kilmer and Robert Downey Jr were damn near PERFECT together.  :thumb:

robert1325

« Reply #29 on: 2 Jan 2007, 04:56 pm »
Saw "kiss kiss, bang bang " this christmas,      loads of laughing  and that great looking Santa suit she had on :)

Thanks for the suggestion

Robert

Folsom

« Reply #30 on: 2 Jan 2007, 09:57 pm »
Fargo is a dark comedy...