Please help me to decide an entry level tube Amp

kwatch

Please help me to decide an entry level tube Amp
« on: 3 Aug 2010, 02:57 am »
I'm new to tube Amp. I'm looking for an entry level tube amp on limited budget.  I have decided that MiniWatt N3 Tube Amp http://www.aloaudio.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=420 and
JV5 Tube Amp / DAC/ Headphone Amplifier http://www.aloaudio.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_4&products_id=374 are good choice.  Which one has a better over all performace? Could anyone recommend other tube amps having a similar price range?  I'm planning to use these in my bedroom.

Thanks.

cujobob

Re: Please help me to decide an entry level tube Amp
« Reply #1 on: 3 Aug 2010, 03:11 am »
A common starting place for a good tube amp has been the Onix SP3 which can be purchased used for about $400.

doorman

« Reply #2 on: 3 Aug 2010, 03:50 am »
Used Decware SE84's/cs's come up for sale regularly.
They are in another league from most budget amps, IMHO
Good Luck with your search!
Don

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #3 on: 3 Aug 2010, 03:59 am »
+1.

It is a great little tube amp for the price.

And it is way below my cost and that is why I decided not to bring it back to The US.
A common starting place for a good tube amp has been the Onix SP3 which can be purchased used for about $400.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 3 Aug 2010, 06:29 am »
Used Decware SE84's/cs's come up for sale regularly.
They are in another league from most budget amps, IMHO

When properly matched with appropriate speakers the Decware is very serious high end.  It's hard to comprehend how anything so modest and kit like with so few watts can sound so big and clean.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #5 on: 3 Aug 2010, 06:54 am »
What speakers will you be using ?

bside123

« Reply #6 on: 3 Aug 2010, 08:58 am »
I've been impressed with Eastern Electric, especially the MiniMax series. Sensitive to tube rolling and can be had for extremely reasonable prices on the used market.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 3 Aug 2010, 04:51 pm »
Jolida is a safe bet.  There's a used 102B with factory mods for sale below.  Hopefully 4 inputs, 4/8 ohm speaker leads, and 20 wpc floats your boat.

ebag4

« Reply #8 on: 3 Aug 2010, 05:05 pm »
Jolida is a safe bet.  There's a used 102B with factory mods for sale below.  Hopefully 4 inputs, 4/8 ohm speaker leads, and 20 wpc floats your boat.
Thanks Jeff.

I don't believe I am breaking any rules with this obvious self serving post  :D.
Here is a link to my Factory Modded Joilida 102B ad:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=84095.msg816609#msg816609

Best,
Ed

JLM

« Reply #9 on: 3 Aug 2010, 09:10 pm »
I'm tempted, but am looking for more, not less power.

roscoeiii

« Reply #10 on: 3 Aug 2010, 09:13 pm »
I second the question of what speakers will be used. There are some great bargains in low-powered tube amps out there, IF the speakers in question are sensitive enough for them...

nature boy

« Reply #11 on: 4 Aug 2010, 12:31 pm »
+2 on the Decware SE84CS.  If your speakers are 8 ohm, make sure to get the EX mod version.  I picked up my amp used on Agon for ~$350 and recently shipped it to Steve Deckert for the Hazen modification, another $100 invested.  The best damn $450 I've ever spent on audio equipment for sure.

While I love my EE Minimax preamp, I can't wait to pair my amp with a Decware CSP2+ preamp and OTL headphone amplifier.  Maybe my next audio toy?

Keep in mind that you have to have sensitive speakers, better than 93 - 94dB when using a SET amplifier like the Decware SE84CS.  Also, these amps have a built in volume control, so you won't neet a preamplifier if you have only one source.

NB

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #12 on: 4 Aug 2010, 12:54 pm »
I'm new to tube Amp. I'm looking for an entry level tube amp on limited budget.  I have decided that MiniWatt N3 Tube Amp http://www.aloaudio.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=420 and
JV5 Tube Amp / DAC/ Headphone Amplifier http://www.aloaudio.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_4&products_id=374 are good choice.  Which one has a better over all performace? Could anyone recommend other tube amps having a similar price range?  I'm planning to use these in my bedroom.

Thanks.

Like some others have said, please give a description of your speakers, room dimensions and where you plan on sitting. It all makes a difference when dispensing advice about amplifiers.

Anand.

Gopher

« Reply #13 on: 4 Aug 2010, 03:17 pm »
I'm really liking my modified Dynaco ST-70.  This sucker is really growing on me by the day to the point that I haven't had any interest in firing up my Nelson Pass design Firstwatt F1.

I've been impressed with Eastern Electric, especially the MiniMax series. Sensitive to tube rolling and can be had for extremely reasonable prices on the used market.

Is there a non Minimax entry level series? 

JLM

« Reply #14 on: 4 Aug 2010, 06:33 pm »
There is an Eastern Electric MiniMax integrated amp (8 wpc for $950):

http://www.morningstaraudio.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=8&catid=4

srb

« Reply #15 on: 4 Aug 2010, 06:52 pm »
There is an Eastern Electric MiniMax integrated amp (8 wpc for $950):

Original post:

I'm new to tube Amp. I'm looking for an entry level tube amp on limited budget. I have decided that MiniWatt N3 Tube Amp [$378] and JV5 Tube Amp / DAC/ Headphone Amplifier [$349] are good choice.  Which one has a better over all performace? Could anyone recommend other tube amps having a similar price range?

Steve

dmatt

« Reply #16 on: 4 Aug 2010, 08:08 pm »
I'll throw in another plug for the SP3.  Can be had for $400 used in good condition, often with upgraded tubes.  38 watts per channel with 4 ohm and 8 ohm taps.  Stepped attenuator.  Can tube roll the tubes for improvement, even swapping the power tubes for KT66s or 6L6 tubes (with bias adjustment).

Here's an old WIKI with more info:  http://onix.pbworks.com/SP3

I have no dog in the hunt, other than to say this was my first tube amp.  Sometimes I miss it.

DM

kwatch

« Reply #17 on: 5 Aug 2010, 01:35 am »
What speakers will you be using ?

Von Schweikert VR1

kwatch

« Reply #18 on: 5 Aug 2010, 01:38 am »
I'll throw in another plug for the SP3.  Can be had for $400 used in good condition, often with upgraded tubes.  38 watts per channel with 4 ohm and 8 ohm taps.  Stepped attenuator.  Can tube roll the tubes for improvement, even swapping the power tubes for KT66s or 6L6 tubes (with bias adjustment).

Here's an old WIKI with more info:  http://onix.pbworks.com/SP3

I have no dog in the hunt, other than to say this was my first tube amp.  Sometimes I miss it.

DM
Between Onix SP3 and Jolida JD 102B, can someone list pro and con of these Amps?

Thanks.

ebag4

« Reply #19 on: 5 Aug 2010, 02:28 am »
Between Onix SP3 and Jolida JD 102B, can someone list pro and con of these Amps?

Thanks.
Well I am a bit biased since I am selling a 102B, but I have owned both of these amps.  The 102B is a sweet amp, I used it for a couple of years (maybe a record! :wink:).  The Onix is a nice amp but just didn't do it for me, it was sold within a few months.  I love the EL84 family of tubes, great sound.

FWIW, these amps were used with different systems so there was never a direct comparison.  I will say that if I hadn't moved to separates that I would still be using the Jolida.

Best,
Ed