Please help me to decide an entry level tube Amp

roymail

• Roy in TX
Re: Please help me to decide an entry level tube Amp
« Reply #20 on: 5 Aug 2010, 04:27 am »
kwatch, before making a definite decision, contact Blair at Niteshade Audio.  He's a well respected tube guru, and I know he uses a pair of VR2's along with some others.  He knows what he's doing and will give you good advice.

Affordable$$Audio

« Reply #21 on: 5 Aug 2010, 04:43 am »
May I suggest AC member Vista Audio for your consideration.  I was so impressed while reviewing the i34 that I bought it.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #22 on: 5 Aug 2010, 05:13 am »
I'm new to tube Amp. I'm looking for an entry level tube amp on limited budget.  I have decided that MiniWatt N3 Tube Amp http://www.aloaudio.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=420 and
JV5 Tube Amp / DAC/ Headphone Amplifier http://www.aloaudio.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_4&products_id=374 are good choice.  Which one has a better over all performace? Could anyone recommend other tube amps having a similar price range?  I'm planning to use these in my bedroom.

Thanks.

Neither of those amps will properly power your VR-1's....look for at least 30 "tube" watts. :thumb:

If your budget is $400.00...I'd wait and save a little more.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #23 on: 5 Aug 2010, 05:17 am »
May I suggest AC member Vista Audio for your consideration.  I was so impressed while reviewing the i34 that I bought it.

This would work.... :wink:

http://www.vista-audio.com/products/i34/index.htm

WGH

« Reply #24 on: 5 Aug 2010, 06:01 am »
The VR-1 specs states: Minimum Power - 8 watts per channel. Single Ended Triode Amps welcome!

I don't know if I would go that low, Von Schweikert speakers seem to thrive on more power.
Ask about affordable low powered tube amps for your VR-1's over at the Von Schweikert Circle
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=139.0
Some of the guys there have owned VR-1's and will know what amp will work best.

Wayne

lonewolfny42

« Reply #25 on: 5 Aug 2010, 06:08 am »
8 watts won't "cut it"...... :shake:

I still own a pair of VR-1's, and the velvet bag they come in :lol:.....those amps in the first post are just not enough....

Another question....how big is your room ?

raindance

« Reply #26 on: 5 Aug 2010, 10:49 am »
I second the Vista Audio i34 suggestion. I just got one and it is a different flavor to most of the Chinese options out there. It is very extended, especially at the top end, but sounds sweet, never harsh. Jolida amps are more rolled off at the top and slightly wooly at the bottom. - I've tried a couple. The i34 has enough power - will drive my KEF iQ3 speakers to deafening levels and drives my Vandersteen 2CE's to a decent late-night levels.

On the Onix idea - has anyone measured the output of that amp? I don't see how you can make 38 x 38 watts RMS using 5881 tubes unless they are run at very high anode voltages...

lcrim

« Reply #27 on: 5 Aug 2010, 11:29 am »
The Decware Select is a wonderful sounding amp, I have had one for a long time but it would not work well w/ the VR-1's.   Its happiest IME w/ efficient speakers w/ a low impedance.  Chris' suggestion re: the Vista amp w/ the p/p el34's, is a good deal higher than your budget but would be a much better pairing. 
The weather here (New Jersey) recently has been uncomfortably hot and humid.  Tube amps do produce heat and that could be an important consideration.
The SP3 was so enthusiastically reviewed by 6Moons http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/onix/onix.html
that I tried to buy one from a guy in Texas for a shockingly low price over on Audiogon.  It was obviously too low as he ran away w/ my dough and hasn't been heard from since.  Worst deal I ever made, I think the amp is a good one though.

Zero

« Reply #28 on: 5 Aug 2010, 11:51 am »
Consider this post a third vote in favor of the Vista Audio i34.  So far, it is the only 'cheap' tube integrated I've come across that doesn't sound that way. It sports great build quality, great linearity, and was designed to power speakers of average efficiency (87-90db) and impedance (4-8 nominal loads). Heck, it even drove my former electrostatics just fine, which sported a variable load that dipped down to 1.6 ohms in the upper frequency range. Yep, the Vista Audio piece is good stuff.

bunnyma357

« Reply #29 on: 5 Aug 2010, 11:56 am »
I have the Onix/Melody SP3 and have been very happy with it - they seem to come up used in the $400 - $500 range. It does only have 2 inputs, so that might be something to consider.

I also have a Yaqin MC-10L which is nice sounding for about $500 shipped, but I don't think it is as nice as the Onix - both in terms of sound quality and build quality. The pots are a little noisy and some of the case-work is a little cheap - purely cosmetic. I would say it sounds a little more like a SS amp with just a little of the tube "lushness" than the Onix.

http://cgi.ebay.com/YAQIN-MC-10L-Push-Pull-Integrated-Stereo-Tube-Amplifier-/140428943517?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2#ht_2645wt_913

I think power wise either of these amps would mate well with your speakers.

Jim C

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #30 on: 5 Aug 2010, 02:30 pm »
  Vista or Jolida. However my pick would be the vista as the Chinese amps and Manfs have warranty issues.

charles

raindance

« Reply #31 on: 5 Aug 2010, 06:25 pm »
Another suggestion: you can look out for a used Cayin TA30. Very sweet little amp indeed. The chassis was purchased by Primaluna as the basis for all their amps and preamps.

ebag4

« Reply #32 on: 6 Aug 2010, 06:36 pm »
Replied to your PM.

Best,
Ed