Why I love Kubrick (and you should too)

Lyndon

I enjoy Lynch, especially Hopper in 'Blue Velvet', but I don't know if I can stand watching
Sting's performance in 'Dune' ever again! :o
Sting, "I will kill you, I will!!!"
No need for violence, Sting, baby, just put on your most recent elevator music of Police songs....that will put me 6 feet under! :thumb:

KBK

• Teo Audio
I recently watched 2001 again.  The only part I find a bit dated:  The acid-trippy scene that kind of drags on too long.  I suppose if someone was actually stoned it might be better.  Other than that, and some screeching stinger notes, the movie is amazing.

I was about as baked as it is humanly possible to be, when I first saw it. Three extra pupils in each eye. Loved the film.

KBK

• Teo Audio
I enjoy Lynch, especially Hopper in 'Blue Velvet', but I don't know if I can stand watching
Sting's performance in 'Dune' ever again! :o
Sting, "I will kill you, I will!!!"
No need for violence, Sting, baby, just put on your most recent elevator music of Police songs....that will put me 6 feet under! :thumb:

Dune was so disjointed and badly put together. Ugh. A major disappointment. The recent 'tv-ish' short series was much better.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Hey Tyson, whaddya think of Terrence Malick? Maybe not the complex layering of images of SK, but a wonderfully visual director IMHO.

He's my 2nd favorite director.  Not quite the intellectual force that Kubrick is, but for pure cinematic genius, he's right up there.

I like Lynch too, but I think Cronenberg handles similar themes in a more interesting way.

Lyndon

The recent 'tv-ish' short series was much better.

Agreed! I thought there were two TV versions?
But, like how the 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy made a comeback, perhaps with the right writing and director, Dune can be resurrected for the big screen.

JoshK

Whatdya think of The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnasius?  Most I know didn't like it but I did. 

PhilNYC

Back on the EWS topic - another thing to notice, Kubrick uses paintings to comment on what's happening in the lives of the characters.  For example, when Dr. Bill is in his office, he asks his receptionist for coffee.  Behind him, on the wall, is a painting of some coffee beans!  And, during his argument with his wife, he makes the point that he is very clinical and removed from any sexual thoughts while at the office.  But, if you notice, there is a painting of a couple "en flagrante" on his walls.  Or, later, when Bill is in the coffee shop about to read the paper reporting the death of the prostitute who "saved" him at the black mass, the paintings/pictures on the wall are all of women from different points of history, all while Mozart's Requiem plays in the background.  It's not just the death of one woman who was abused and cast aside, but rather of ALL women who have been chewed up by men with power over them. 

Or, later, when he's confronting Victor Ziegler in the pool room, there's a shot of Victor standing above Bill, while Bill is leaning on the pool table.  Above Ziegler's shoulder is a painting of a dog and his master, in the same positions.  The message is again clear - Bill is the dog/servant, and Ziegler is clearly the master.

As Denzel Washington says in Training Day - "This sh!t just gets deeper..."

While I certainly appreciate the attention to detail with things like this, imho these elements did not add any level of engagement or interest to my viewing of the film.... :|

zygadr

Got on to this one a bit late, but heter's my opinion:
2001..................changed my life and cinema when I was 13 years old :thumb:
All the rest are controversial, but still good..........except for one :

BARRY LINDON :          crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
But, if he transcended his humanity, he also likely transcended the boundaries of time  What if the monoliths were created and put in place by Bowman?.........What if Bowman set in motion all the events that resulted in his own transcendence? 

THAT would be a very Kubrickian idea, indeed!

God as our future selves building a computer program that is the universe to run us thru to get to, ourselves.  A idea finally gaining some steam as we see the effects in everyday life of computing power doubling every 18 months (now more like eleven) and how in 50 years it wouldn't be an unreachable goal.  (The idea was just expressed on Science Channels' Wormhole)   

PS Could you be more clear zygadr?  I'm not quite sure how you feel about Barry Lyndon.

Construct

I just got a copy of Barry Lyndon ($3.99 on amazon)  and I'll watch it probably Friday.  (Though I am planning on going to see "Middlemen".  I can appreciate attention to detail of period pieces.  I really hate anachronistic phrases or attitudes that Hollywood puts in to appeal to a hipper crowd.  We shall see. 

Lyndon

Figured this was the place to throw in a Kubrick question

Is it worth it to buy "A Clockwork Orange" in blu-ray?  I have read some of the reviews, and they say not so much.  For me, I don't understand why the music/soundtrack is not a big step up.  If it sounds much the same, I don't think it warrants it.
I enjoyed both the official soundtrack release, but much more, the "Timesteps" release

from Wendy a.k.a. Walter Carlos.

Anybody have the Blu, and want to comment?
Lyndon

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
I have it, and it's not really worth it.

Lyndon

Thanks, Tyson.
I appreciate the feedback!
Lyndon
As to the soundtracks above, I couldn't believe the high price for the Carlos cd.
But to fans of this film, you have to buy the RCA? sanctioned soundtrack to get
the special version of "Singing In the Rain".  I'll never forget that scene from the movie.
 :o

Construct

I am watching Berry Lyndon.  I just hit pause about :35 in to say that the transfer is grainy and not incredibly vivid.  The soundtrack wasn't touched either.  The narration at times is a device that dumbs down the movie by stating the obvious.  (Telling of the "accident"  which allows him to desert for example just before it happens). It was a simple even that didn't require an explanation.

Construct

Barry Lyndon:  final word...
Cinematography cannot make up for the fact that after the intermission (the final hour)  is horribly dour, mercilessly plodding and  Lydon has very little dialog.  The story moves about as fast as a fly in amber and is less engaging than any given episode of Masterpiece theater.  This movie could lose 45 minutes and been more tolerable.  As of this point, I'd not watch it again for free.  I am very glad i paid no more than $4.77  for this exercise in forcing my eyelids to stay open. There are period movies that so bury this POS it isn't even close.  Master and commander,  John Adams, even the patriot-along with a dozen others.  Anything but this again.   :sleep: 

Lyndon

John Adams, even the patriot-along with a dozen others.
With Paul Giamatti? The HBO series? I got it in blu-ray last fall, and very much enjoyed it!

JoshK

With Paul Giamatti? The HBO series? I got it in blu-ray last fall, and very much enjoyed it!

Not to hijack the thread, but Paul G was phenom in that series.  Really enjoyed it.

Never seen Lyndon.  Am wanting to rent 2001, since I never saw that either.

Construct

Yes!  Paul won a slew of richly deserved awards (Golden globe among others).  Not only is that my favorite of all historically accurate dramas, I happen to like David Mcollough's vivid and lively writing style FAR better than William Makepeace Thackery. David could write about the history of cork and make it interesting. Additionally, David Morse was excellent as Washington.  HBO knocked it out of the park---this series was at least pg-13 intense and very well done in every way.

wushuliu

I am watching Berry Lyndon.  I just hit pause about :35 in to say that the transfer is grainy and not incredibly vivid.  The soundtrack wasn't touched either.  The narration at times is a device that dumbs down the movie by stating the obvious.  (Telling of the "accident"  which allows him to desert for example just before it happens). It was a simple even that didn't require an explanation.

Hah. It'll grow on you  :lol:. Okay, maybe not. The film makes me laugh. It's like the longest driest joke Kubrick could possibly tell. After 2001 and Clockwork I figure he's telling the story exactly as he feels it needs to be told and as usual is going for something a little different in terms of narrative. I also have a soft spot for the natural light cinematography was so prevalent in the 70's. Particularly in that film as Kubrick took it to the extreme 9of course) and developed lenses specifically to capture the low light candlelight scenes w/ no additional lights IIRC. Ridley Scott's first film 'The Duellists' has a similar look and is another great film from that period.

EthanH

Barry Lyndon is one of Kubrick's masterpieces, in my opinion.  I would put it up there with anything else he has done.  It may not "grab" the regular filmgoer as much as Clockwork or Full Metal Jacket, but in my opinion it's a serious movie and one of the best period films ever.  Maybe you have to be interested in that period or just give the film some time.

Then again I also thought The New World was good, and it seems like most people think that film is somewhere between sub-par and atrocious by Malick's standards.  To each his own, I guess.

I can't quite articulate why, but Tarkovsky always sort of reminded me of a Russian Kubrick.