Why I love Kubrick (and you should too)

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Why I love Kubrick (and you should too)
« on: 26 Jul 2010, 09:13 am »
To those who understand, no explanation is necessary, to those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.
« Last Edit: 16 May 2011, 08:01 am by Tyson »

Tyson

Omnipotent, or Impotent?

Tyson

Homosexual, or hypersexual?

Tyson

Oh man, too much scotch while watching "The Shining" and "Clockwork Orange" back to back.  Excuse my excess .....

Tyson

I'm not sober yet, and I still don't understand my own posts.....

Tyson

Ophelia was pregnant (because Hamlet had sex with her).  And they were 16, not 30.

Tyson

She committed suicide because she was disgraced, and the prince abandoned her (and murdered her father).  What would you do?

Tyson

What hast that to do with Kubrick?  Not much, except the sex and the desire (or not) to have sex with your mother.

I don't buy it.  I think Hamlet wanted Ophelia, not Gertrude.  But Clockwork Orange clearly has a visual dichotomy of bun-haired ladies representing the mother of Alex (even in the Mulova Bar), and coquettish brown haired girls representing girlfriends.  This Madonna/Whore dichotomy is rather common throughout Western history, no?

Tyson

And to carry it further, in Eyes Wide Shut, the whore that accosts Cruise has red hair, just like his (seemingly chaste) wife.  As do several other women that proposition him throughout the movie.  Kubrick told stories in a visual manner, not a literary manner.  So, wife, whore, daughter, they are all linked visually (via red hair) in the EWS world.  No wonder poor Bill is so confused the whole time....

ctviggen

Step away from the scotch!  ;-)

Personally, I found Eyes Wide Shut to be one of the worst movies ever created, but then my taste in movies tends toward Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story than it does toward movies requiring me to think.

Tyson

Haha, I rate EWS as the best movie that I've ever seen.  But then again, I realize that Kubrick had a lifelong obsession with the unreliable narrator, and EWS was the ultimate expression of that - a movie with an unreliable narrator, but without any narration at all!

PhilNYC

*sigh*...I am generally with you on Kubrick, but damn, Eyes Wide Shut was horrible... :evil:
« Last Edit: 26 Jul 2010, 08:16 pm by PhilNYC »

Wind Chaser

It was worse than horrible.

macrojack

• Restricted
Put me in the idiot column on this one.

HAITIMAN

To those who understand, no explanation is necessary, to those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.

There is more to cinema than simply "American" movies, "American" actors, and (Jewish) "American" culture.

"Get off the scotch, learn another language, and do some travelling".

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Even without Scotch, I have to vote in the column of loving Kubrik - though EWS is not IMO one of his better films.

Spartacus
Clockwork Orange
The Shining
Dr. Strangelove
Full Metal Jacket

were all far better films though maybe not everyone's cup of tea certainly.

Bryan
« Last Edit: 31 Jul 2010, 11:31 am by bpape »

TheChairGuy

Awesome Tyson, you musta' been plowed yesterday....with 'your tweeter on your forehead/single drivers suck' and I eat the hearts of my enemies to gain strength' posts and now these :thumb:

Tho I've always found your posts interesting when you're sober...they strike and entirely new and interesting note while polluted with drink.

Too bad it's a weekday and we've gotta' work - I need the laughs much more now :wink:

John

Construct

There is not enough scotch---at any age--- for me to declare EWS a good movie or make me sit through it again. It was so overrated (and kissed up to)  by critics it made me want to hurl.
P.S.  "Dr Strangelove"  or "2001"  it ain't.

wushuliu

The Shining on Blu-Ray is a revelation.

I'm partial to Barry Lyndon.

wushuliu

Ophelia was pregnant (because Hamlet had sex with her).  And they were 16, not 30.

She was pregnant? I don't remember that part. Is this one of those confessions, like "I have a 'friend' named 'Hamlet', got this girl pregnant, killed her dad, no not me my 'friend', 'Hamlet'...."