Need Cheap Amp & CDP Recommendations...

Mariusz

Re: Need Cheap Amp & CDP Recommendations...
« Reply #20 on: 23 Jul 2010, 09:27 pm »
The HLLY amps seem a gray area.  I looked again at the thread started by Boead and he seems to be happy with his, but my gut feeling is it isn’t going to satisfy.

I’m not into assembling kits or doing anything myself, besides one ought to have a measure of expertise before dabbling with electrical devices, but that $175 Class D amp would be very appealing if it were available in a non kit form.

I think I’m going to go with the upgraded version of the Dayens Ampino, unless there’s a better option for $600.  I like the tidy little package and it I think it will mate well with the Totems.  Did the Dayens tour ever get off the ground?

Tour never happened.......but it was close.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #21 on: 2 Aug 2010, 12:10 am »
And the winner is... Dayens Ampino - with the cap upgrade.

I chewed on a few options including the newly released Miniwatt N3, which would probably be enough power 90% of the time but you've got to respect the other 10%.  There's an upgraded / factory modded Jolida EL84 based amp up for grabs and another on Agon for about the same money, but it's too big size wise.  Then there's always the Virtue, which I know from experience is a good amp, but my instincts tell me the Ampino will be the better amp for the same money.  The Ampino has a nice beefy power supply which should offer more drive / current for the Totems. 

The other primary determining factor was Srajan's review on 6 Moons.  That pretty much tipped the balance for a couple of reasons.  First, women generally have better hearing than men.  Commenting on the sound Srajan begins by slipping in a comment his wife made about the Ampino.  To me that is very telling... Oh, the power of suggestion!  From that point on the review travels on upward and seemingly out of orbit...  Needless to say that kind of bait demands investigation. 

Aside from a few brief reports by happy owners, there isn't a whole lot of reading to be had.   It's too bad the much anticipated tour never happened.  If I wasn't so selfish, I'd have my Ampino delivered to someone who could quickly host a little get-together for a quick sampling; but unfortunately under the circumstances, MY opinion is more important to me now that the money has been transferred. 

I can't wait to receive it but I ain't gonna lose any sleep in the meantime.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #22 on: 2 Aug 2010, 12:22 pm »
So now that the amp has been chosen and ordered (see the above post) I need to figure out what CDP?  Again a small footprint is very desirable.  So far the only thing I can see that's new / current and fits the bill for being cheap and cheerful is the Cambridge Audio Sonata CD30 @ aprox $330.  Of course I'm open to suggestions and flexing the budget.  Is there something 'used' that competes well with the current technology of today, or has the sound quality of entry level players continually progressed forward?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #23 on: 2 Aug 2010, 12:26 pm »
As for cabling, Wal Mart wire from the amp to the speakers and quite possibly Nagy's for interconnect - largely due to Rollo's very positive review.  AC cords will remain as stock.

RCduck7

« Reply #24 on: 4 Aug 2010, 09:15 pm »
As for a cd player, i can't comment anything better then a chinese tubed MHZS CD33 CD player, it really can compete with cd players in a much higher price category and it also is easy for modification to get even better performance.

A link to a forum...
http://rockgrotto.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=c&action=print&thread=1150

As for an amp i would take a look at some chinese amps to, like a BADA for instance (first thing that comes up in me).

Wind Chaser

« Reply #26 on: 5 Aug 2010, 12:18 pm »
Probably too late, but what about a Shanling MC30?

http://www.stereophile.com/cdplayers/308shan/

It sure looks nice...

TheChairGuy

« Reply #27 on: 5 Aug 2010, 12:22 pm »
So now that the amp has been chosen and ordered (see the above post) I need to figure out what CDP?  Again a small footprint is very desirable.  So far the only thing I can see that's new / current and fits the bill for being cheap and cheerful is the Cambridge Audio Sonata CD30 @ aprox $330.  Of course I'm open to suggestions and flexing the budget.  Is there something 'used' that competes well with the current technology of today, or has the sound quality of entry level players continually progressed forward?

The Cambridge Sonato CD30 is news indeed to me. Those Cambridge guys really understand sonic, video and marketing matters these days.

I have the Cambridge DVD99, which plays CD/DVD-A/SACD (but is also of lesser sound quality because of the split personalities) and I think it sounds terrific.  But, CD-only, should theoretically sound even better than a video-audio player.

One tremendous benefit I found with any digital player in your audio system....run it thru an isolation transformer (separate from the rest of your system).  It keeps the digital garbage from looping back into the rest of the system and is a surprisingly effective 'upgrade' in itself.  There is little power draw on any digital player...so the smaller isolation transformers ($50 I've seen them around) are plenty sufficient.

Each crop of digital players seems to improve the breed a bit each time...I'd buy something fresh and new rather than older stuff.  At these prices today for new, why bother potentially buying older, as well.

John

Wind Chaser

« Reply #28 on: 5 Aug 2010, 12:51 pm »
One tremendous benefit I found with any digital player in your audio system....run it thru an isolation transformer (separate from the rest of your system).  It keeps the digital garbage from looping back into the rest of the system and is a surprisingly effective 'upgrade' in itself.  There is little power draw on any digital player...so the smaller isolation transformers ($50 I've seen them around) are plenty sufficient.

What is an isolation transformer - guess I could google that – any specific recommendations?

Ericus Rex

« Reply #29 on: 5 Aug 2010, 02:47 pm »
I've had a Beresford DAC (TC-7520) in my system for a few weeks and must say that is one excellent performer!  Brand spank-me new they are under $300 and support hi-rez files.  Plus if you ever decided to use a Squeezebox in the future you could plug it right in.  Use any old CDP as a transport, you could even buy a $50 Coby from Wal-Mart (be sure to get the one with the digital out!) and have a smokin', expandable rig for very little money.

FWIW, I own the Oppo BDP-83 SE.  The Beresford went head-to-head against it and performed great!  I'd say it was 98% of the Oppo.  It's every bit as resolving and detailed and has a slightly darker sound overall which would probably be a good match for a budget (probably bright) amp.  And the entire setup would be about 1/3 the cost of the Oppo.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #30 on: 5 Aug 2010, 06:12 pm »
What is an isolation transformer - guess I could google that – any specific recommendations?

Info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isolation_transformer

Recommendations: Lots out there....but as you are in Canada as I remember it, I just looked and there seems to be less available (unless I don't know all the Canadian hide-a-way spots to look for electronic gear).

I went on ebay.ca and found the WIZ Isotap.  It's really a fancy isolation transformer with stepped voltages available...but it happens to be the one I use.  I think I bought for $79 here a couple years ago and I see this one is a bit over CDN$100.  Maybe they went up in the intervening years...or you Canucks are getting screwed again :wink: http://cgi.ebay.ca/RCA-ISOTAP-II-ISOLATION-TRANSFORMER-VOLTAGE-TAPS-/320553558505?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa27b21e9

Again, without stepped voltage choices, the product should cost less.  Here in US, a basic, low wattage IsoTranny from brand name Tripp-Lite or similar should be less than $100...but I looked and can't find one offhand.  Here's a used one supercheap on ebay.com...but it only ships within US it seems: http://cgi.ebay.com/TENMAX-72-545-ISOLATION-TRANSFORMER-/290461186091?cmd=ViewItem&pt=BI_Circuit_Breakers_Transformers&hash=item43a0d5f82b

Seriously, $100 spent on one is better than any comparable internal 'upgrade' you could do on any digital machine.  The rest of your system benefits tremendously from it...and your digital being fed an isolated line will, too.  The benefit is two-fold and the results are multi-fold  :thumb:

John

Wind Chaser

« Reply #31 on: 8 Aug 2010, 10:16 am »
I've had a Beresford DAC (TC-7520) in my system for a few weeks and must say that is one excellent performer!

Thanks, got one on order… will most likely use the Cambridge Sonata for a transport.  Almost went for the Virtue Piano but the long delay between loading a disc and it being ready to play was a deal breaker.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #32 on: 8 Aug 2010, 10:21 am »
Recommendations: Lots out there....but as you are in Canada as I remember it, I just looked and there seems to be less available (unless I don't know all the Canadian hide-a-way spots to look for electronic gear).

Thanks John, I've been looking but I haven't found anything here yet.  I'll try some of the bigger cities.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #33 on: 8 Aug 2010, 01:04 pm »
Thanks John, I've been looking but I haven't found anything here yet.  I'll try some of the bigger cities.

Hope you find something in Canada then....the effect of an $100 isolation transformer on a digital player is the epitome of high value/cheap and cheerful tweek for you system. 

I know of no other way to improve digital playback so inexpensively. 

I'm also a fan of the Dakiom Feedback Stabilizer devices (as found on Audiogon...read past the odd diatribe of it's Korean inventor, Dr. Dao).  It made a horrid sounding old Sony DVP-S7700 (used as transport) useable...and has made 2 digital players since better. I think they start at $59 or so...another cheap tweek if you are using a standalone player...but, it seem you went the DAC route, so use of the Dakiom is probably not needed.

John

Occam

« Reply #34 on: 8 Aug 2010, 01:38 pm »
From my post on Cheap 'n Cheerful -

Iff'n you'd like to try individual isolation transformers for each of your source components, < 100va, here is an inexpensive way to try, and it includes both hardwired input(plug) and output(IEC) cords.

http://stores.ebay.com/emesurplus__W0QQ_sacatZemesurplusQQ_sidZ287233315?_nkw=isolation+transformer&submit=Search

4 individual units for $32!  :o
The seller sells a single for $8, or 2 for $15 (check his other listings), but as its $15 shipping for 1, 2, or 4 via UPS or Priority Mail, be a big spender and collect all 4 and trade with your friends.

Not my cuppa, but definitely Cheap 'n Cheerful.

The Ebay listing only gives the option to ship to the States. Perhaps you can ask the lister if they'd ship to Canada, and here is a link to the USPS flat rate Priority Mail rates. The largest fixed rate box is $34 (max 20lbs) -http://ircalc.usps.gov/MailServices.aspx?country=10054&m=13&p=0&o=1&mt=12

Perhaps someone in the States who'd also like to try an iso transformer could somehow split an order of 4 iso transformers with you. Even if you have to pay a VAT/customs, its not going to be all that much on a $32 cost for 4 isolation transformers.

FWIW

Wind Chaser

« Reply #35 on: 8 Aug 2010, 02:12 pm »
Medical grade!  Here comes a pathetic request...

Hi, I'm a nice guy up in Canada and I'd really like to buy a pair of your isolation transformers.  I'd even be willing to pay more just for the privilege of doing business with you.  Please consider my humble request as I am having great difficulty locating these devices here in Canada.

Let's see what happens.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #36 on: 8 Aug 2010, 02:32 pm »
And he / she is willing...  $24 for shipping... I'm in for two! :green:
John & Paul, thanks for point those out. :beer:

TheChairGuy

« Reply #37 on: 8 Aug 2010, 04:58 pm »
Alright!! Let us know the sonic results when they land.

That's a crackin' deal :thumb:

John

roscoeiii

« Reply #38 on: 8 Aug 2010, 07:12 pm »
Occam,

I am curious why you say that this is "not my cuppa."?

And of course I'd love to hear from anyone else who can explain the pros and cons of iso transformers like these on digital sources.

And for those of us with a transport and DAC, is the benefit largely going to be found putting one of these isolation transformers on the DAC side or on the transport? Or will both benefit significantly?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #39 on: 8 Aug 2010, 07:27 pm »
Alright!! Let us know the sonic results when they land.

That's going to take a while.  The Ampino is scheduled to arrive by the end of this week, the Beresford will hopefully arrive the following and the Sonata should come sooner as it is coming from Canada.

That's a crackin' deal :thumb:

It's almost too good to be true.  And based on your comments I have high hopes for what it / they will do.  One for the DAC, the other for the transport.