Need Cheap Amp & CDP Recommendations...

Wind Chaser

Need Cheap Amp & CDP Recommendations...
« on: 22 Jul 2010, 02:19 pm »
I need an amp and CDP to match up with a pair of Totem Mites.  They run at 8 ohms - 87 dB @ 1w/m.  Was thinking about the new Mini Watt, but that might not be enough drive.  Size wise, the smaller the components better, I like inconspicuous audio.  As for CDPs, I'm totally clueless as to what is out there.  Looking for a big bang value on the cheap.  :green:

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: Need Cheap & CDP Recommendations...
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2010, 02:24 pm »
Budget??
Virtue Audio has excellent stuff.

bside123

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2010, 02:29 pm »
The Eastern Electric MiniMax CDP could be something interesting to check out. Tubes, well made, great sounding, fun and very responsive to tube rolling. Used market: $450 - $550

tvyankee

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2010, 02:39 pm »
I have a modded Marantz cd67se that has very little hours on it if you want. Very nice unit and great sound.

$125.00 plus shipping. I also have a original SB modded from Boulder if your into that. Comes with remote and Elpac modded supply. $300.00 plus shipping. Hardly used, great shape.

Let me know.

bside123

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2010, 02:43 pm »
I have a modded Marantz cd67se that has very little hours on it if you want. Very nice unit and great sound. $125.00 plus shipping
Let me know.

Good unit, could be a nice choice cheap! IMO. I had one for years.

Wind Chaser

Re: Need Cheap Amp & CDP Recommendations...
« Reply #5 on: 22 Jul 2010, 09:46 pm »
Previously owned a Virtue, but was thinking of trying something different.  Looking at some of the previous threads, the HLLY stuff looks like it might be my best bet on the super cheap.  Dayens Ampino intrigues me as well, but how much is it and how long does it take to ship?

As for an inexpensive entry level CDP, is there anything besides Marantz and Cambridge Audio worth considering?  I was thinking of keeping the budget around $300... this little system is intended for background music rather than serious listening.

I have a modded Marantz cd67se that has very little hours on it if you want. Very nice unit and great sound.

What kind of mods?

tvyankee

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jul 2010, 09:52 pm »
Hello,

Its been a really long time ago but it was done by the go to company at the time. I know i sent it out of the country at the time to get it done. If i look hard enough i might even have the paper work from them somewhere. I know its in really good shape and i have the original box as well.

dvenardos

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jul 2010, 10:25 pm »
At that price range you might want to look at a used Oppo.

As for an inexpensive entry level CDP, is there anything besides Marantz and Cambridge Audio worth considering?  I was thinking of keeping the budget around $300... this little system is intended for background music rather than serious listening.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jul 2010, 07:42 am »
At that price range you might want to look at a used Oppo.

Any particular model?

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #9 on: 23 Jul 2010, 09:58 am »
How about a used NAD or Outlaw receiver plus a Sony DVD player.

JohnR

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jul 2010, 10:12 am »
Got any old laptops lying around? If so, perhaps look into one of those combined USB DAC / amp units.

Doublej

« Reply #11 on: 23 Jul 2010, 11:14 am »
Dayton APA150 Integrated Amplifier from Parts Express or one of the Nuforce Integrated with the built in USB DAC.

If you go the route of an integrated with built in USB DAC any old DVD player might do fine as a transport.

Berhinger A500 is cheap but it's not small.

Teac makes some nice small stuff, would you consider an all in one, i.e  a small receiver with a built in cd player? Something like this

http://www.wildwestelectronics.net/teac-reference-cr-h238i.html

Denon and Yamaha have similar small components but these may not be exotic enough for you.

I have much older version  (10 years?) of the Teac unit referenced above. It sounds very nice. FWIW at the time post purchase I noticed that the rig was being carried in a couple of the local high end shops in my area.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #12 on: 23 Jul 2010, 11:20 am »
A receiver wouldn't be a bad idea except there are only three FM stations... one talk is radio, the other a kids pop / hip hop station, and a religious country music station.

I'm not into downloading music or converting all my CDs, so streaming music doesn't appeal to me.  Getting too old to bother with all the latest trends. :|

Wind Chaser

« Reply #13 on: 23 Jul 2010, 11:25 am »
Doublej,

I'm using an old Sony mini system right now, was sort of hoping in my vanity to improve upon it.  That's why I first thought of the Miniwatt - oh for the nice glow and sound of tubes...  Gainclones and Tripaths are standard fare for decent cheap amplification, so I'm not really sure where to take this, that's why I'm looking to see what's out there.

Gopher

« Reply #14 on: 23 Jul 2010, 11:36 am »
Previously owned a Virtue, but was thinking of trying something different. 

I owned a HLLY to experiment with when I had my Cain & Cain Abbys and have a Virtue TWO.2 on loan right now through the AC tour.  The Virtue is significantly better.  Based on my experience it would be a downgrade rather than lateral move for experimenting. 

I gave my little brother the HLLY to drive a pair of Zigamoret speakers (subsequently bought him a Rawson built Gainclone which he said is MUCH better) if you want I can follow up and find out which HLLY it was. 

If you don't wanna go Virtue, I'd probably look at that kit everyone is gushing about.  I'm trying to get feedback myself as to how the Super Class D would fare against the TWO.2 as the price point of the two units is about the same and I think I want a class d amp as a summer amp (i.e. something that does not put out a tremendous amount of heat when its already 95 degrees outdoors).

As for CDPs, I saw an Eastern Electric Minimax CDP on the gon for $350 yesterday.  Don't recall if it was OBO, but you probably won't find anything better for that money.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #15 on: 23 Jul 2010, 12:56 pm »
Those Mites suck up lots of juice.  Even background music has some life to it and running underpowered would be extra "un-dynamic" and potentially hazardous to the speakers.

For a low budget, small sized system with the kind of power you'll want you can't beat Virtue for a ready made solution.  But the entry level amp starts at $300.  They have a circle below.

As mentioned the DIY digital amp in the mega thread in the "Cheap and Cheerful" circle would be another option.

I have an Oppo 970 just sitting in it's box.  Check out the reviews, it hits way beyond the MSRP of $170 delivered (back when it was still for sale).  Another plus is the high quality digital volume control on the remote.  Just PM me if you're interested.

If your budget could expand and you had interest in an iPod, an iDecco would be sweet.

soundbitten1

« Reply #16 on: 23 Jul 2010, 04:19 pm »
I have a NAD 3080 integrated amp that I'm not using. It's cool looking with meters, has many features, sounds great and will drive any pair of speakers. PM me if you're interested.

Mariusz

« Reply #17 on: 23 Jul 2010, 04:54 pm »
I would 2nd Gopher's idea.(D-amp kit $160ebay)
+ Maverick (dac/pre- $150used) and any CD/DVD/or multiplayer you can find-cheap.
 :wink:

wushuliu

« Reply #18 on: 23 Jul 2010, 07:57 pm »
Any particular model?

970 or 980H. I frickin' love Oppo. I can't believe someone has one just sitting in a box and willing to sell. I almost never see Oppos for sale. I sure aint giving up my 980H - even though I have a Panasonic Blu Ray. They are keepers.

The HLLY stuff... meh. The insides look about as cheap as you can get. I think they're overpriced personally, given the quality.

This new amp they have sure is pretty though. but if it looks too good to be true...

http://www.hllyelectronics.com/html/fm_transmitter_1_162.html

Wind Chaser

« Reply #19 on: 23 Jul 2010, 09:10 pm »
The HLLY amps seem a gray area.  I looked again at the thread started by Boead and he seems to be happy with his, but my gut feeling is it isn’t going to satisfy.

I’m not into assembling kits or doing anything myself, besides one ought to have a measure of expertise before dabbling with electrical devices, but that $175 Class D amp would be very appealing if it were available in a non kit form.

I think I’m going to go with the upgraded version of the Dayens Ampino, unless there’s a better option for $600.  I like the tidy little package and it I think it will mate well with the Totems.  Did the Dayens tour ever get off the ground?