Need Cheap Amp & CDP Recommendations...

TheChairGuy

Re: Need Cheap Amp & CDP Recommendations...
« Reply #40 on: 8 Aug 2010, 08:04 pm »
And of course I'd love to hear from anyone else who can explain the pros and cons of iso transformers like these on digital sources.

And for those of us with a transport and DAC, is the benefit largely going to be found putting one of these isolation transformers on the DAC side or on the transport? Or will both benefit significantly?
I'll let those better equipped with technical knowledge explain the 'whys' of it...but, their effects seem two fold.  It feeds your digital front end better/cleaner mains power...and works as a one-way closed door for letting back digital garbage into the rest of your system.

If you have only one isolation transformer available with only one power outlet (a balanced power unit, like those from Furman, BPT and others, are something of a fancier variety of isolation transformer), there's probably a slight preference of it to be used on the DAC, rather than the transport as it will benefit from the cleaner feed.  But, if it comes to it by all means benefit as hearing is the last resort of conclusions  8)

Quote from: Wind Chaser
It's almost too good to be true.  And based on your comments I have high hopes for what it / they will do.  One for the DAC, the other for the transport.
It's so cheap that I won't feel the least bit guilty or culpable if you don't feel your system benefits.  Given the benefits I've heard, I'm not sure how anyone couldn't...but we all hear things so differently  :wink:

John

Occam

« Reply #41 on: 8 Aug 2010, 11:43 pm »
Occam,

I am curious why you say that this is "not my cuppa."?

And of course I'd love to hear from anyone else who can explain the pros and cons of iso transformers like these on digital sources.

And for those of us with a transport and DAC, is the benefit largely going to be found putting one of these isolation transformers on the DAC side or on the transport? Or will both benefit significantly?

Roscoe,

The simple answer is context. Wind Chaser is trying to put together an inexpensive system, and if I were to suggest a power conditioner that costs more that his main components, it would be downright silly. While I don't agree with John that an isolation transformer is the ideal power conditioning device for source component (any topology is only as good as its implementation) Wind Chaser seemed quite amenable to John's suggestion (and in this context, I think it an excellent suggestion), and then he expressed frustration that he didn't seem to be able to source any in Canada.

If Wind Chaser had shown any interest in a diy approach, I'd have suggested he build a 3 amp Felix using components from Bradjudy's Official Felix board/kit group buy thread, if anyone had had some extras left over. But those iso transformers are far simpler, known to be available, less expensive, and doesn't make one DIY, nor subject them to that approach's inherent potential dangers.

It is simply a situation of horses for courses as well as Its better to light a single candle than curse the darkness

Disclosure - And its obviously 'not my cuppa' as I am a manufacturer of audio specific power conditioners, but they are simply not appropriate in light of Wind Chasers stated needs due to cost. Similarlary, I didn't suggest a Running Springs Dimitri or Bybee/Curl conditioner, both of which are excellent, but not appropriate in this context. I also believe power cords make a substantial difference even with appropriate conditioning (I'm also a power cord manufacturer  :roll:), so while a captive cord should be very attractive to many, its not for me.

I have found substantial benefit from separate power filtration for both digital transport and dac. It isolates the digital components from the rest of the system as well as from each other. if I could only filter one, it would be the dac.  And given that if you're Stateside you can try it for <$20 each delivered, its an inexpensive experiment with limited downside.

Regards,
Paul

Wind Chaser

« Reply #42 on: 9 Aug 2010, 01:53 am »
DIY is not my cuppa – especially when it comes to electricity.  I respect John’s (TCG) opinion and consider him to be among the more sensible, intelligent and non-delusional types in hobby laden with fanatical excess.

This little system will cost under 2K and is intended for primarily for casual listening.  However I suspect it will be good enough for deeper musical enjoyment in spite of its limitations.  My hearing, like so many other things ain’t what it use to be.

roscoeiii

« Reply #43 on: 9 Aug 2010, 04:44 am »
Paul,

Many thanks for your thorough reply. Most helpful. So I can see what else is out there, and what you feel the ideal approach, can you point me towards your company? I didn't see it listed in a signature or your profile. Will be very interested to see what you are up to there, even if your prices are higher than the ebay isolation transformers.  :D

Many thanks again.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #44 on: 12 Aug 2010, 02:33 pm »
I've had a Beresford DAC (TC-7520) in my system for a few weeks and must say that is one excellent performer!

Do you have the stock unit or does it have the opamp upgrade?