MLS/VMPS What? and When?

John Casler

MLS/VMPS What? and When?
« on: 20 Feb 2004, 04:48 am »
Ok, as promised, I wanted to "spill the beans" or as many beans as I can, regarding what is happening "near future" with MLS and VMPS.

Some of this is still tentative and could change at any moment so please keep that in mind, but here is what things look like at this time.

Mark and Brian and I have been looking at as many possibilities as we can to cause forward movement to a milestone joint venture that promises to improve not only the way VMPS speakers look but the way they sound.

Improved sonics will come from creating a speaker cabinet that is stiffer and more resistant to internal vibration.  Mark has mentioned that his MDF is more dense (More Density Fiberboard :lol: ) and this will translate into a stiffer cabinet.

He is also adding "extra bracing".

Again this translates into less cabinet vibration.  

Both will contribute to "yet to be heard" sonic improvements.

At this point we are looking to have both a light (Lightly Figured Birch ) and Dark (Walnut) finish available in the "standard" versions.

The premium finishes are looking like Rosewood, African Ebony, Piano Black, and possibly White Shadow Maple.

Now be aware that B, doesn't have a wherehouse to keep high levels of cabinet stock and we will offer what we have "on hand" and it may take 4-6 weeks if you are looking for a finish that has just been "sold out".

At this juncture it is planned to have these in the RM40s, the 626Rs, and the LRC.  The RM/x is still domestic as is the RM30, and all subs.

As soon as we get the logistics worked out the Subs will no doubt also be available.

The very first shipment is slated to be completed at the factory by Feb 28.  I should arrive at VMPS around the first week of April, meaning that these could be in your systems by mid April.

The first shipment is in all Premium finishes.  We are looking at:

African Ebony
Rosewood
Piano Black

There will be two pair of RM40s and two pair of 626Rs in each finish.  There will also be 2 LRCs in each finish.

This translates into:

6 pair RM40

6 pair 626R

6 LRC

Both pair of the African Ebony RM40s are already sold as is one of the LRCs and a pair of 626Rs in that finish.

Although one party has commited to a "full 5 speaker" system in Piano Black, no deposits have been received meaning all are still available.

While we may change the pricing structure eventually (disclosing freight rather than lumping it into the price), the speakers will be priced as they have been.  

All premium finishes are looking like $400 upcharge.

You are hearing this as it happens and if you have any questions check with your dealer, Brian or myself.  Since this information has not even been sent out to dealers yet, (hope they're reading this) be prepared for them to have to check on specifics.

I am here to say that I think that this represents another major step for VMPS and I think that we can look forward to improved sonics, looks, quality control, and customer service, without any significant cost difference.

If this venture is as successful as I think it can be, you will not beleive what is in store for you in the next couple years.  Brian is always 5-10 years ahead of the competition and this step is the begining of some additional technologies that will be developed and make VMPS an even more significant player in the high end world of the audiophile.  

Only "high end" in this case will not nessessarily mean high prices (comparatively)  It will mean value, performance and fun!

In closing remember that none of this is "written in stone" and we may change things (except the high value part) as we need to.

We are, as you can tell taking orders for these speakers and once I get approval, may be offering them in what I call the Brian Cheney Signature Edition Package

Details on this later.

Now if you want place an order for any of the first shipment, check with Brian or your dealer.  I think they'll be all spoken for before they arrive. :mrgreen:

This is GREAT stuff :D

UTLaw

• http://www.utexas.edu/law
MLS/VMPS What? and When?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Feb 2004, 04:57 am »
Thanks for all of the awesome info John!  :dance:

One quick question... Will all of the speakers you listed still have the standard VMPS shape, or will Mark be tweeking the dimensions as well?

Great job guys!!!

pjchappy

MLS/VMPS What? and When?
« Reply #2 on: 20 Feb 2004, 04:58 am »
What about offering more auto-like painted finishes?  Hopefully, these would cost less than veneer.

For me at least, I would prefer a nice automotive red or Porsche seal metallic grey. . .depending on my future surroundings. . .and hopefully I will be surrounded by a seal metallic grey Porsche 911 C4S. ..   :P

p

John Casler

MLS/VMPS What? and When?
« Reply #3 on: 20 Feb 2004, 05:21 am »
Quote from: pjchappy
What about offering more auto-like painted finishes?  Hopefully, these would cost less than veneer.

For me at least, I would prefer a nice automotive red or Porsche seal metallic grey. . .depending on my future surroundings. . .and hopefully I will be surrounded by a seal metallic grey Porsche 911 C4S. ..   :P

p

Strange you should ask, but Mark did mention the availability of Arctic Silver (like that used on the BMW) which would be like a Piano Black, but in Silver.

It would be great to offer all finishes, but only Mark could answer just how feasible that would be.

We're trying to reduce the order to delivery time and have limited storage capacity.  

But that said, maybe Mark could tell us how feasible "special orders" might be.  

And your right a Silver would look stunning.  I even ask about Piano White :o  :o  but it is not availabe and probably wouldn't be a big enough seller to warrant putting on the docket.

I'm very excited about the African Ebony which is a beautiful finish and a little more subtle than the Rosewood.  This finish in the RM40 will be "breathtaking". :o  :o  :o

John Casler

MLS/VMPS What? and When?
« Reply #4 on: 20 Feb 2004, 05:21 am »
Quote from: UTLaw
Thanks for all of the awesome info John!  :dance:

One quick question... Will all of the speakers you listed still have the standard VMPS shape, or will Mark be tweeking the dimensions as well?

Great job guys!!!

Currently all cabinets are the same size and shape.

Enrico

MLS/VMPS What? and When?
« Reply #5 on: 20 Feb 2004, 05:44 am »
Quote from: John Casler
Strange you should ask, but Mark did mention the availability of Arctic Silver (like that used on the BMW) which would be like a Piano Black, but in Silver.
And your right a Silver would look stunning. I even ask about Piano White   but it is not availabe and probably wouldn't be a big enough seller to warrant putting on the docket.

Piano White is TOP of my list, with Silver a close 2nd. Please work on it.  :mrgreen:

warnerwh

MLS/VMPS What? and When?
« Reply #6 on: 20 Feb 2004, 05:47 am »
There's plenty of spare room at my house you could store speakers at:)  I'd even go out of my way and put a couple in my living quarters to maximize available space.

audiochef

New cabinets
« Reply #7 on: 20 Feb 2004, 06:07 am »
Awsome news John,

under normal circumstances ,I'd be saying "s... Great, new and better cabbinets" but , whats more fitting now is Go VMPS!!

Leave em in the dust Brian!!!  :P  :P  :P

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
rm
« Reply #8 on: 20 Feb 2004, 06:20 am »
Thanks for the encouragement.  All I need is about a half million cash to bring this off.  I was planning to use credit cards.  Unless the VMPSers on this Forum want to donate...

All this stuff happening at once makes my head spin.  I have to file 8 US patents (hoping MLS will help with filing and enforcing the international patents) in the next two months, just to cover the new stuff Jim Bongiorno's cocktail napkins and I have cooked up.

If we can get enough help from Mark we can manufacture a lot of new things in China at reasonable cost.  Be advised that VMPS is self-financed; it's all my money, my risk.  Right now we're debt-free, but just realizing the first item or two on the to-do list will change that rapidly.

Value, new and better technology, and construction quality apparent at first glance to everyone are my primary goals.  And no current or older VMPS models will become obsolete in the process, every step forward will be made available for all VMPS owners past, present, and future.

pjchappy

MLS/VMPS What? and When?
« Reply #9 on: 20 Feb 2004, 06:26 am »
Brian,

Maybe you could start a new show based off of an El Sobrante citizen. . .Jesse James. . .call it Monster Speakers. . .

Have all the high-end designers come to you and modify a set of 'kick-ass' speakers or electronics in 5-days (leaving only 1 day for design). . .
Good idea?   :lol:

Anyways, best of luck on your endeavors. . .I will be financing a VERY small part of this. . .hopefully in the not too distant future.

p

Sa-dono

MLS/VMPS What? and When?
« Reply #10 on: 20 Feb 2004, 07:16 am »
Cool stuff Brian and John! :thumb:
(I really need to buy myself a bigger monitor...I almost flipped you guys off :lol: Hey..it's a face, a hand, and a finger sticking up..what can I say :oops: )

So John...is that your pair of Ebony RM40's? :D

Juan R

MLS/VMPS What? and When?
« Reply #11 on: 20 Feb 2004, 12:54 pm »
Will be nice to match the speakers with my new 2004 seal-grey carrera 4S.

pjchappy

MLS/VMPS What? and When?
« Reply #12 on: 20 Feb 2004, 03:06 pm »
Juan, if you're serious. . .I hate you!      :P

p

ctviggen

MLS/VMPS What? and When?
« Reply #13 on: 20 Feb 2004, 04:27 pm »
Ditto!  And, if you really are getting a Porsche, please drive over the speed limit every once in a while.  Most Porsches I see are being driven under the speed limit in the right lane.  What's the use of having 300+ HP and low weight if you aren't going to use it?  (Naturally, don't go anywhere near the max speed of the car, 'cause that's too fast with the idiots on the road in America -- take it to the track.  Heck, I have a Saab 9-3 Viggen and can't get it anywhere near its performance potential during normal driving, and it's heavier and loses about 100 hp to a Porsche, so a Porsche is going to be well below its limit.)

Dunedain

MLS/VMPS What? and When?
« Reply #14 on: 20 Feb 2004, 05:45 pm »
I thought this was supposed to only apply to the RM40 (due to the recent inability to find a local source
to make the RM40 cabinets), while the rest of the VMPS speaker cabinet line remained made in the U.S.A.?

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
rm
« Reply #15 on: 20 Feb 2004, 06:04 pm »
MLS has offered to make everything, but that won't happen for a while.  We will start with the 626, LRC and RM 40.

Dunedain

MLS/VMPS What? and When?
« Reply #16 on: 20 Feb 2004, 06:27 pm »
I'm sure he has...  But that sort of wrecks the "95% made in the U.S.A." aspect
to VMPS speakers that is so appealing to many.  :(

UTLaw

• http://www.utexas.edu/law
MLS/VMPS What? and When?
« Reply #17 on: 20 Feb 2004, 06:42 pm »
I love to support "made in the U.S.A" products as much as I can, but we currently live in a "globalized" time.  I am troubled by the word and the concept as much as the next guy, but this is the reality of our society.

This clearly makes the most sense for Brian as well as his customers.  Brian will be able to offer speakers of a much higher quality.  Customers will have the ability to own speakers which would likely be out of almost everyone's price range if it weren't for such a business arrangement.

I think it is very commendable for Brian to have kept SO much of his business in the U.S. for as long as he has.  I think this shows a clear effort on his part to support the American worker.  

But he must remain competitive in the ever changing audio world.  I think his decision to source cabinets from China is just another indication that he wants the absolute best quality/price ratio for his customers.

John Casler

The Brian Cheney Signature Edition Package
« Reply #18 on: 20 Feb 2004, 07:58 pm »
As I mentioned earlier, along with the new improved cabinets, we will be offering a "Brian Cheney Signature Edition" package.

This package was assembled for the RM40s but can be ordered with other VMPS ribbon Speakers.

The BCSE package consist of:

* FST tweeter upgrade ($400 value)
* TRT cap upgrade ($1200 value)
* Analysis Silver wiring upgrade ($400 value)
* Cabinet upgrade (includes higher density fiberboard, more and upgraded bracing, and Soundcoat) ($250 value)
* crossover upgrade where applicable ($50)
* Premium Finish upgrade of your choice ($400)
* Each cabinet is "signed" on the back by Big B. :mrgreen: (Priceless  :lol: )

The package purchased ala carte would cost around $2700

As a package it is $1999

And the base price of the RM40 will be displayed a bit differently.

It is actually $4199 plus shipping

This would make the BCSE RM40 $6198 (courtesy pricing available through your dealer) plus shipping

This speaker will meet or exceed the performance of most any speaker (except the RM/x) up to $35,000 or more.  It has to be one of the best speaker values in High End Audio (IMHO)

This package coupled with the new MLS cabinets will provide you with a speaker that will offer incredible performance and accurate presentation for many years.

If interested contact Brian, or your VMPS dealer.

PS.  This package can also be ordered with the RM40, 626R and LRC models.

Dunedain

MLS/VMPS What? and When?
« Reply #19 on: 20 Feb 2004, 08:20 pm »
UTLaw:  I'm not sure what you mean.  VMPS speakers already look quite nice as standard, and
with the already available choices of more high-end wood finishes can be made to look more
or less how the customer wants.  Many have commented how fantastic the "Cherry Flambe" finish looks,
for example.

And these are all made right here in the U.S. at *extremely* reasonable prices. :)