VR-33 Review

VSA Customer Service

VR-33 Review
« on: 8 Jul 2010, 09:22 pm »
Hello All,

I just wanted to let everyone know that the first review of the VR-33 was published yesterday by Positive Feedback. 

I'll note that while the reviewer has found an excellent low-cost integrated amplifier that he pairs with the VR-33 in this review, we want to stress that the VR-33 is not dependent on specific electronics for great performance.  We've tested it in-house with various manufacturer's amplifiers and the feedback we've gotten from our customers is that it works well with a wide variety of components.

We have more reviews on the VR-33 in the pipeline and I'll let you know just as soon as the next one is published.

Happy listening,

Damon

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
Re: VR-33 Review
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jul 2010, 10:26 pm »
Well Thanks Damon,

This is a nice post.
John has written a very nice story about the VR 33.

Good luck with the production of the VR 33.

Cor

Saturn94

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jul 2010, 03:05 am »
Glad to finally see a review of the VR33 (now if could only find an owner within an easy drive of southeast VA that could offer an audition :)).

I'm a bit confused about the price though.  As I understood, the initial 100 was offered at $3795 which have already been sold, and after the price went to $4500.  The review indicates that the price is $3999.  So what price is correct? :scratch:

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jul 2010, 01:08 pm »
..and $3750 has been thrown around also :duh:

mfsoa

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jul 2010, 01:32 pm »
Do we know that the 1st hundred have been sold?

-Mike

Saturn94

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jul 2010, 02:31 pm »
I read from someone at VSA that they were shipping about 20 a week.  So I would think the first 100 are long gone by now.

VSA Customer Service

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jul 2010, 06:26 am »
The VR-33 has an MSRP of $4,000.  We initially announced a price break of $3,750 on for the first 100 pairs but they sold so quickly that we decided to extend this introductory price awhile longer.

rich58b

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jul 2010, 08:21 pm »
Regarding the $3750 price extension, is it still good?  I can't tell from what was said by VSA whether or not they're still $3750 or now $4000. :scratch:

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 13 Jul 2010, 02:15 am »
Send them $3750 and I'm betting they'll send you a pair.

Albert Von Schweikert

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
VR-33 still at $3,750/pr
« Reply #9 on: 14 Jul 2010, 12:38 am »
Hello fellow audiophiles, Albert Von Schweikert here. Our original pricing plan was to introduce the VR-33 at $3,750 and then raise the price after the first 100 pairs were sold in order to generate a decent profit margin after the introduction period.  We initially thought that we would see a sales slowdown due to saturation and/or summer vacations after the first 100 pairs were sold - we had no idea how popular this model would become! 

I've got great news: since this model is now selling at a far higher volume than originally predicted, our accountant has decided to keep the price at $3,750/pr since he now is convinced that the relatively low price compared to the outrageous performance level is responsible for the success of this product.  I must agree, as the customer feedback on this model has been absolutely incredible!

We have received phone calls from many customers who have auditioned speakers up to $20,000 after receiving their VR-33's.  Even though many of these customers could afford far more expensive speakers, they say the VR-33 is so close to the best speakers they have heard that it's a "no brainer."  I wish I could do some name dropping here regarding the brands and models our customers claim were "blown away" by our VR-33, but your best bet is to try the VR-33 for yourself.  As you might have heard, we are offering a 90-day In-home Trial on this model, with no restocking fee (other than return shipping).  Our current lead time has dropped from 5 weeks to 2 weeks due to increased production, and we offer Steinway Hi-gloss Piano black resin bottom and top caps as well as our Dark Walnut faux finish caps.  We have a few pairs of the cherry hardwood caps left, but will be discontinuing that finish due to the variation in natural hardwoods.

Our new website should be up and running soon, with all of our new models, including our UniField Model 1 and 2 mini monitors, the VR-33 and VR-35 Export Deluxe, as well as our line of cables designed and fabricated for VSA by Delphi Aerospace. In addition, we have three center channels and two new subwoofers with Active Room Correction.  All models are in stock and we have been shipping all of these new products for the past several months to Europe and Asia, where we conduct our World Test Marketing.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 14 Jul 2010, 02:04 am »
..and I quote...outrageous performance level  In spades Albert...in spades!

JackD201

« Reply #11 on: 14 Jul 2010, 03:02 am »
Two new subwoofers. Hmmmm. Looks like I'm cancelling my order for a pair of JL 112s.  :eyebrows:

Albert, I'm eagerly awaiting the pair of Unifield 1s I ordered. There's a pair of 150wpc Single Ended Bridged Parallel amps waiting to get their silk glove on iron fists grip on them.

Saturn94

Re: VR-33 still at $3,750/pr
« Reply #12 on: 18 Jul 2010, 10:23 pm »
Hello fellow audiophiles, Albert Von Schweikert here. Our original pricing plan was to introduce the VR-33 at $3,750 and then raise the price after the first 100 pairs were sold in order to generate a decent profit margin after the introduction period.  We initially thought that we would see a sales slowdown due to saturation and/or summer vacations after the first 100 pairs were sold - we had no idea how popular this model would become! 

I've got great news: since this model is now selling at a far higher volume than originally predicted, our accountant has decided to keep the price at $3,750/pr since he now is convinced that the relatively low price compared to the outrageous performance level is responsible for the success of this product.  I must agree, as the customer feedback on this model has been absolutely incredible!

We have received phone calls from many customers who have auditioned speakers up to $20,000 after receiving their VR-33's.  Even though many of these customers could afford far more expensive speakers, they say the VR-33 is so close to the best speakers they have heard that it's a "no brainer."  I wish I could do some name dropping here regarding the brands and models our customers claim were "blown away" by our VR-33, but your best bet is to try the VR-33 for yourself.  As you might have heard, we are offering a 90-day In-home Trial on this model, with no restocking fee (other than return shipping).  Our current lead time has dropped from 5 weeks to 2 weeks due to increased production, and we offer Steinway Hi-gloss Piano black resin bottom and top caps as well as our Dark Walnut faux finish caps.  We have a few pairs of the cherry hardwood caps left, but will be discontinuing that finish due to the variation in natural hardwoods.

Our new website should be up and running soon, with all of our new models, including our UniField Model 1 and 2 mini monitors, the VR-33 and VR-35 Export Deluxe, as well as our line of cables designed and fabricated for VSA by Delphi Aerospace. In addition, we have three center channels and two new subwoofers with Active Room Correction.  All models are in stock and we have been shipping all of these new products for the past several months to Europe and Asia, where we conduct our World Test Marketing.

Thank you for the clarification. :)

VSA Customer Service

« Reply #13 on: 9 Aug 2010, 07:07 pm »
I just wanted to let everyone know that as of this weekend, the official VR-33 web page has been launched at the Von Schweikert Audio website.  We have several new photos and extensive technical information for anyone interested.

Cheers,

Damon

theaudioanalyst

« Reply #14 on: 2 Sep 2010, 07:50 pm »
My full review just went live at...

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue51/vr33.htm

Let me know what you think... Thanks.

dmorgan

« Reply #15 on: 2 Sep 2010, 09:11 pm »
Great review on the 33s. Any idea, or anyone have experience, with the 33s driven by any of Emotiva's amps?

mfsoa

« Reply #16 on: 2 Sep 2010, 09:42 pm »
Hi Greg,

Very nice review.

Since I see that you are using Class D amps, I'd like to suggest that you try to get a Digital Amplifier Company Cherry Plus amp into your system for a spin - To my ears it is staggeringly better than the CIA D-200s I owned for a few years.

If you want to contact the owner of the company let me know, I'm friends with him (take that as both a sincere offer and a disclaimer  :wink:)
-Mike

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #17 on: 2 Sep 2010, 09:56 pm »
Hey Greg,

Thanks for your very nice story about the Vortex VR 33.
A specially the part about the "stealth" setup behind the plants is very convincing. We did that once with the VR 35 SE we have here.
You only believe this when you have met them like this.
Albert's speakers surprise me every day.

Heard a rumor they will be present at the RMAF next October in Denver.
This is really a nice place to meet the VR 33.

See you.

Cor

theaudioanalyst

« Reply #18 on: 3 Sep 2010, 01:17 am »
Mike,

Have you heard the D-220 MK II, which is what I've been using for the last 6 months? They are AMAZINGLY better than the original D-200... More refined, with more midrange bloom, more air, darker silence, even more articulate bass... They are STOOPID good; a vast improvement over the D-200s...

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #19 on: 3 Sep 2010, 01:42 am »
Hi Greg,

Very nice review.

Since I see that you are using Class D amps, I'd like to suggest that you try to get a Digital Amplifier Company Cherry Plus amp into your system for a spin - To my ears it is staggeringly better than the CIA D-200s I owned for a few years.

If you want to contact the owner of the company let me know, I'm friends with him (take that as both a sincere offer and a disclaimer  :wink:)
-Mike
Thanks, Mike.  We have some demos for sale on Audiogon at the moment:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=81883.0