Ditched multi-channel for music and never going back!!!!

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Some months back I came here to get some tips on how to make my 5.1 setup sound good..I was multi-channel addicted!!
A friend I met through this forum would stop by and say-"you really outta try just 2 channel stereo", I just couldn't imagine why anyone would want two channels when more is so much better I thought to myself. So I set out to prove him wrong, I was gonna have a smokin 5.1 setup that he would even say sounded better.

Today I sold off one of the last pieces of that smokin hot 5.1 setup but not because I had to, or needed the money but because I've gone two-channel, I'm a recovering multi-channel addict!!! I recently gave 2 channel a try, a test, a temporary listen and I'm never going back..I have listened to Pat Metheny to Pink Floyd and back through Steely Dan, I found the best way to listen to music for me..thank goodness I wasn't too late...Thank you Bill!!!!(pumpkinman) for bringing music back into my life!!!...gotta run, change CD's, I got some serious catching up to do!! Enjoy!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Big Red Machine

Re: Ditched multi-channel and never going back!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jul 2010, 08:27 pm »
Another one saved from the madness!! :tempted:

mjosef

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jul 2010, 08:44 pm »
I am not giving up my 7.1 system...movies just wouldn't be the same  :lol:

srb

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jul 2010, 08:49 pm »
I am not giving up my 7.1 system...movies just wouldn't be the same  :lol:

No need to ditch multi-channel for movies if an HT bypass is implemented on the preamplifier or integrated amplifier.  Best of both worlds.

Steve

PSB Guy

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jul 2010, 08:54 pm »
I would love to give up on multi-channel altogether, stereo is good enough for me, even for movies. The problem I have is that a lot of the DVDs I've run into lately no longer have a separate 2.0 sound track included. Most of my older ones do. Does anyone know if the 5.1 soundtracks are "down-mixed" properly (for lack of a better term) when played through a stereo system?

mjosef

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jul 2010, 08:54 pm »
Yah, I know...was just poking some fun at the thread title.
My 7.1 HT is separate from my two channel stereo anyway.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #6 on: 6 Jul 2010, 09:06 pm »
It's not a case of one or the other.  :scratch:  HT Bypass on a hi-end 2 channel preamp makes both (or all three in my case, 2 ch, 5.1 and 7.1) a reality, and keeps the signal path clean and unadulterated in each system.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 6 Jul 2010, 09:15 pm »
I still have my 5.1 abilities for movies..I'm not totally abstinent, I lied..LOL. I'm using AV receiver for movies and gaming-Cornelis: my PS3 will playback in two channels for concert vids etc via a setting in audio properties..I was using the av receiver before for everything. You can use it as an excuse to buy a Playstation 3...I use it via HDMI for Video portion and let it downmix so I can send it through the DAC for audio. The PS3 has some nifty visuals (3 choices) also it will play when you listen to CD's...I wasn't clear before sorry.
 Music=2.1
 Movies=5.1
 :duh:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Re: Ditched multi-channel for music and never going back!!!!
« Reply #8 on: 7 Jul 2010, 04:15 am »
Few guys here have beat the drum for MC music with more fervor than I have, but I'm almost ready to throw in the towel, too.  For me it's not a lack of love for multichannel, just a lack of material.  With well recorded material originally conceived for MC production the results can be stunning, better than I've ever heard in stereo.  The problem is there just isn't very much of that material, and less coming out every day.  Oh, sure- the catalogs of DVD-A & SACD are technically huge, but it seems that pop music has been abandoned.  I'm a big fan of classical and opera but my taste is eclectic, spanning genres from indie rock and alt country to newgrass to jazz; I'm not finding a lot out there anymore.  Eventually I'll have to decide if it's worth devoting my time and money to sifting those rare gems from the piles of useless junk.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #9 on: 7 Jul 2010, 02:33 pm »
There's a place for both MC and 2 channel, they just need to be different places.  The only really viable solution is to have the means and space for a dedicated multi-channel HT set up, and in a separate room a dedicated 2 channel music set up.  Speaker placement alone demands this, plus the desired response profiles are so different between music and movies. 

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #10 on: 7 Jul 2010, 02:39 pm »
There's a place for both MC and 2 channel, they just need to be different places.  The only really viable solution is to have the means and space for a dedicated multi-channel HT set up, and in a separate room a dedicated 2 channel music set up.  Speaker placement alone demands this, plus the desired response profiles are so different between music and movies.

I'm talking music (2 ch) and music (multichannel); movies are lower priority for me and get separate surround speakers and amps.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #11 on: 7 Jul 2010, 03:33 pm »
Another one saved from the madness!! :tempted:

Ah the thought of not having the TV, cable box, power conditioners DVD combo player. switches and all the magnetic fields they create about is bliss. Imaging, soundstaging and tone all improves when they are gone.
  Besides you really do not need that quality sound reproduction [ except bass and clear vocals] for film. The brain just cannot focus on sound and video at the same time. A separte room for TV and a decent Receiver IMO is all ya need for movies unless resrticted in space.  Give it a try.

charles

Construct

« Reply #12 on: 7 Jul 2010, 03:35 pm »
I have a dream.... that HT and music systems can walk hand-in-hand in the same house....

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 7 Jul 2010, 03:45 pm »
My rig(s) are all in one room so I have found a nice blend of each. The two channel and HT both use the same left and right front speakers