Ditched multi-channel for music and never going back!!!!

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: Ditched multi-channel for music and never going back!!!!
« Reply #20 on: 7 Jul 2010, 05:12 pm »
Charles- I have found that tip about moving the sub up off the floor to be one of the best tips I've gotten from audiocircle. Like I said mine is on a box temporarily and out from the wall and between my L & R speakers..its actually under the right speaker but over toward the middle about a foot. Instantly takes that boomy sound away and integrates the low end wonderfully. Easiest tweak and made a profound
change for the better.
 I also have some speaker stands coming so I have correct height on my L & R speaker and the tweeters will be ear level- they currently
are about 6 inches too high...it makes a difference, it really does..all these little tweaks add up to good sound. :thumb: :thumb:
Its 94 degrees here...wow!!

Construct

« Reply #21 on: 7 Jul 2010, 05:37 pm »
I have actually seen an experimental sound setup- it was a dodecahedron with speakers every foot.  It was some kind of surround/3d test chamber. 
FWIW:  My music sub gets crossed at 60hz.  HT 80hz.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #22 on: 7 Jul 2010, 06:00 pm »
I used to listen to music in multichannel off of my AVR a few years ago be it native or up-sampled by my AVR, before I knew any better.

One day I decided to listen to a CD straight through, bypassing any EQing or sampling, and I was shocked. The image was dead center and it sounded a lot better then I could have imagined.

That started my current obsession.

I have a hard time placing two speakers for accurate reproduction in my room; having to add three more for benefit is likely not an easy task.

Plus, I love analog!

I do use 5.1 for movies though.

?? Multichannel music IS analog.  No one said you have to send this stuff to a mid-fi $300 AVR, just like no one said you must listen to cd through a Walmart player and speakers.  The formats are not the issue, the setups (and based on this thread's comments, the perceived notion that it must be AVR or midfi based) are.  I will put my Macbook SSD server >> firewire >> Weiss or Metric Halo DAC >> hi-end pre >> Modwright black anodized KWA 150 monoblocks >> SP Tech Revelation 2 channel system against anyones!  And realize that the aforementioned system also supports hi-end multichannel music (add three more SP tech Continuums to make a classic ITU setup,  and an EQ'd Paradign Servo 15 on Audiopoints...plus a modified Oppo and same Metric Halo 8 channel DAC, out to dedicated amps) and you have analog 5.1 multichannel surround music that I will also put up against most anyone....all without damaging the number one priority...2 channel.  Oh, the movie stuff is 7.1 and uses Alon dipole wall/slope hanging sides and rears and their own dedicated amplification...so signal path is not hurt one bit.

Net/net, think outside the box.  The ONLY two reasons I'd make a separate 2 channel room in my next house is so i can listen while the older kids wants a big screen movie starting at midnight (instead of the family room), and most importantly, the main speaker positioning is less problematic.  I solved it, nonetheless, but it took going to a retractable acoustically transparent screen concept and a second row of seats so the viewing is more centered and I'm no longer concerned about pulling the main Revelations 6 feet into the room and blocking a side chair view.   :thumb:

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #23 on: 7 Jul 2010, 06:28 pm »
ted_b- that sounds like an awesome setup!!! :thumb: My rig(s) are probably considered mid-fi and I'm perfectly OK with that because I have the best sounding system I have ever owned. I'm limited by space constraints so integrating both systems together was essential and I had been contemplating for awhile now just how to do it. Thankfully a piece I already have (the PS3 for blu-ray and CD transport) made it possible for me to enjoy both types of sound in one room. The point of the thread was to maybe help someone like myself decide to try 2 channel sound and to know its possible to have both setups integrated into one setup/room.
 Your post about bringing HDMI to a DAC/2 channel setup got me started thinking about ways to do that and I thank you as now I have the best of both worlds. Gotta change the CD....

Construct

« Reply #24 on: 7 Jul 2010, 06:34 pm »
They tend to be overextended in 2 channel. I have mine set below 80hz but just barely on. Low freq comes through but it doesnt take it over. Used very sparingly and sometimes not at all.
80hz is a good upper limit for me.  I don't like using a sub in woofer territory. 

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #25 on: 7 Jul 2010, 07:04 pm »
I don't understand the either/or mentality.  I'm with Ted.  My rig does both two channel and multi-channel. 

My M-C setup is modest compared to the two channel setup, but it's blended in a way to play back M-C SACD and DVD-A with great results.

I should add that we have a separate room/system for home theater with a modest surround system and a DLP HDTV.  Usage is 70% Xbox 360, 20% sports, 10% other.
« Last Edit: 7 Jul 2010, 09:19 pm by Russtafarian »

ebag4

« Reply #26 on: 7 Jul 2010, 07:13 pm »
The ONLY two reasons I'd make a separate 2 channel room in my next house is so i can listen while the older kids wants a big screen movie starting at midnight (instead of the family room

IMO this is the main reason to have separate systems.  If my HT and 2 channel systems were combined or in the same room I would never get to listen to music, the HT is always in use by someone in my house.

Best,
Ed

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #27 on: 7 Jul 2010, 08:07 pm »
Thats the advantage to being single...I get to pick whats on/playing/loudness...cheers!!! :drums: :banana piano:

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #28 on: 7 Jul 2010, 08:51 pm »
I will put my Macbook SSD server >> firewire >> Weiss or Metric Halo DAC >> hi-end pre >> Modwright black anodized KWA 150 monoblocks >> SP Tech Revelation 2 channel system against anyones!  And realize that the aforementioned system also supports hi-end multichannel music (add three more SP tech Continuums to make a classic ITU setup,  and an EQ'd Paradign Servo 15 on Audiopoints...plus a modified Oppo and same Metric Halo 8 channel DAC, out to dedicated amps) and you have analog 5.1 multichannel surround music that I will also put up against most anyone....all without damaging the number one priority...2 channel.  Oh, the movie stuff is 7.1 and uses Alon dipole wall/slope hanging sides and rears and their own dedicated amplification...so signal path is not hurt one bit.

Where do you put the turntable?   8)

kingdeezie

« Reply #29 on: 7 Jul 2010, 09:39 pm »
By analog I meant my turntable rig; definitely not multichannel.