Logitech Touch DIGITAL mod testers wanted

Wayne1

Logitech Touch DIGITAL mod testers wanted
« on: 13 Jun 2010, 04:33 pm »
I have worked out two levels of mods for the digital section of the Logitech Touch.

They involve improvement to the power delivery to the chips that produce the digital output signal. They also include running the signal through a 75 ohm coax direct to the connector rather than through the circuit board.

The upgraded mod adds a separate, improved voltage regulator to supply the digital section.

As with the analog mod test, I am looking for 5 people who are willing to try out these mods and post about their thoughts with the modded unit. I will offer the mods at a discount to those who sign up. I will also offer the analog mods at a discount and any cables and power supplies to the five who participate in this test.

Please PM or E-mail me for more details.

Thank you,

Wayne

ajayrav

Re: Logitech Touch DIGITAL mod testers wanted
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jun 2010, 05:26 pm »
I'm in, please!  I can test it out with a Cambridge Audio DACmagic, Musical Fidelity V3 quad stack (PSU, tube buffer, dac, headphone amp), Eastern Electric DAC and Bel Canto Dac3. 

Thanks,
Ajay

mchuckp

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jun 2010, 09:31 pm »
I got into the analog mod testers and Wayne is also doing the digital mod for me.  I'll have a stock Touch to compare each to with and without a Deluxe power supply.  Can't wait! 

Wayne1

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jun 2010, 04:25 pm »
Anyone else interested in a digital mod for the Touch?

DZetye

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jun 2010, 04:44 pm »
Hello Wayne,
I sent you an Email. 

Doug

Wayne1

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jul 2010, 07:30 pm »
I have some updates on Touch mods. I will be cross posting on a couple of threads about this.

I have finally completed the first digital output mod for the Touch and it IS quite a bit better than the stock Touch into the modded EE DAC.

Noise floor is lowered. Soundstage is wider. The image is more defined. Dynamics, both micro and macro are improved.

While listening to this modded unit, I compared it to my slightly modded Touch and my Enthusiast Plus modded DUET. The modded DUET sounds very close to the same level mod done to the SB3. The SB3 is a bit noisier because of the display.

Ranking the sound of the three units on DIGITAL output to the EE DAC, The digital modded Touch sounds the best. Next is the digital modded DUET. Then the stock Touch.

All of these were used with BOLDER linear PS. I used both Touch with my older Ultimate MKIII PS and a newer PS design that I will be offering called simply the Deluxe PS. It uses a feed forward shunt pre-regulator to reduce line noise. It does run on the hot side, but it does sound better than the older Ultimate MKIII. The Deluxe will be selling for $750.00. The same circuit will be offered with Jensen caps as the Ultimate MKV.

The DUET used my Standard PS.

My conclusions are: if you do not intend to use 24/96 files, use a Enthusiast Plus modded DUET or SB3 with one of my linear PS to get the most out of your music. It you do plan to use 24/96 or just want the best sound possible, go for the Touch with digital mods and a Deluxe PS. The digital modded Touch does sound better than the digital modded DUET on both standard res and 24/96.

Gopher

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jul 2010, 10:54 pm »
Excellent news, Wayne! 

Looking forward to testing this bad boy with your modded elpac into my stock minimax dac.

PeteG

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jul 2010, 06:15 pm »
I got my Touch back from Wayne with his "digital mod" and let it burn-in for awhile. So far I really like what I hear, I sat down today and listen to my Duet, SB2 and a modded SB2 (by Wayne) with some selected songs. It didn’t take long with the SB2 and Duet that the modded Touch was a much better transport, a veil was lifted off the music and definitely more enjoyable to listen to.

The modded SB2 was closer in sound but the Touch was still overall better. Where the modded Touch really shines is on 24/96 recordings, I’ve been listening to Oscar Peterson’s “Night Train” from HDtracks and it sounds wonderful through the modded Touch into my Eastern Electric Dac, more low-level detail and better attack than my original Touch.
I don’t know if the sound will get better with the Touch as it gets more break-in time, mine has under 40hrs on it. For me it was worth the upgrade, especially for 24/96 tracks. 

I used Wayne’s Linear Power Supply with the Touch/SB2 and a Parts Express PS with the Duet, other than that everything else was the same.

Wayne1

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jul 2010, 09:12 pm »
Thanks for the comments, Pete.

I have heard back from a couple of other testers. All seem to agree that the mod "removes a veil" from the stock Touch. I hope more will post as their unit go through break-in.

I will be adding the mods to the website within a week. The digital only mod will have the custom voltage regulator. In comparing the mods, I decided the voltage regulator add too much to the sound not to include it.

The price of the digital only mod will be $300.00.

Gopher

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jul 2010, 10:39 pm »
Very exciting initial feedback.  My digitally modified touch is scheduled to arrive tomorrow and I'm hoping my findings are similar.  I had never been fully content with the Touch as a transport and am hoping Waynes magic gets me there with my Minimax.

Gopher

« Reply #10 on: 14 Jul 2010, 12:30 am »
I got my Squeezebox Touch with digital modifications back from Wayne today and have been listening for about an hour thus far.  Cold and without burn in I can say this thing is a significantly better transport. 

I actually had a thread going in the discless forum voicing my concern/dissatisfaction with the Touch as a Transport and my feeling that my relatively inexpensive SACD player passed a better signal--no longer.  The biggest things jumping out at me are soundstaging and resolution.  This transport is letting significantly more detail through.

I'll comment more as I log some hours, but first impressions are positive.

DZetye

« Reply #11 on: 14 Jul 2010, 04:39 am »
I recently had Wayne do the digital mod deluxe mod to my touch and have been burning it in for a few days now.I have noticed a much better soundstage and better imaging and detail recovery.  I am very happy with the mod and will give another update when it has fully burned in.

kyrill

« Reply #12 on: 14 Jul 2010, 11:47 am »
Hi Wayne

You modded my SB3 to accept 2 voltages: 5V and 3.3 V. Sonic benefits to separate the two.

Will this also be beneficial for the Touch?

Wayne1

« Reply #13 on: 14 Jul 2010, 01:58 pm »
Kyrill,

The mod you have evolved to having the 3.3 volt custom regulator mounted internally in the case. That is what I am doing in the Digital Only Mod. It is best to have the regulator mounted as close as possible to the circuit it is supplying voltage to. It took me some time to figure out how to do that in the SB3. There happens to be some room in the Touch to mount the regulator circuit.

Gopher

« Reply #14 on: 16 Jul 2010, 09:50 pm »
So I've spent some more time with the Touch and am continuing to enjoy it.  I'm honestly not sure I've noticed a change in its sound with burn in, but I am appreciating the improvements more.  Imaging is more precise to go along with the bigger sound stage its throwing.

I also feel like this touch is simultaneously more refined and more forward in its presentation than I recall the stock touch being. 

Bass also is more solid.  Based on this experience I would recommend these modifications at their retail pricing.  Its turned a consumer product into a legitimate high end transport.

Wayne,  Do you believe I will benefit further using a CAT6e cable instead of going wirelessly?

Wayne1

« Reply #15 on: 16 Jul 2010, 10:25 pm »
There is a definite advantage to not having the wireless transmitter in operation.

Try it and see. It doesn't take very long to switch over.

Gopher

« Reply #16 on: 16 Jul 2010, 10:43 pm »
Thanks for the quick response Wayne.  If that is the case I'll bore a hole through my wall to run an ethernet cable tonight.  I don't think I have enough length to go the long way from my router.

Kinger

« Reply #17 on: 17 Jul 2010, 12:47 am »
Hmmm am I the only guy who has to use the Touch wireless?  Router upstairs and 3 rooms over from the Touch.

highfilter

« Reply #18 on: 17 Jul 2010, 01:01 am »
Hmmm am I the only guy who has to use the Touch wireless?  Router upstairs and 3 rooms over from the Touch.

Haha, you're not alone! I have mine running on wireless as well. I think it sounds great, but would love to try the wired route. Time for me to pony up and order a 50ft or so network cable.

Wayne1

« Reply #19 on: 17 Jul 2010, 01:18 am »
CAT5 or CAT6  pre-made cables are very inexpensive these days. Take a look at monoprice or PartsExpress. Under $10.00 for 50 ft. While maybe not the best quality, they are better than having a radio transmitter operating inside your music source.

A few years ago I bought a 500' spool of outdoor UV rated CAT5e, a crimper and quite a few connectors. I hard wired from my router in my top floor to the basement. I ran more leads through the basement to my son's room so he could play WOW without drops. I recently ran a couple more to the media room for the SB and a Blu-Ray/Netflix player.

Wi-Fi is convenient but a bit noisy and slow for 24/96 audio files.