Sensation Dodd Tube Buffer

CSI

Re: Sensation Dodd Tube Buffer
« Reply #200 on: 8 Oct 2010, 07:11 pm »
I think I'm missing something here.....why would you NOT connect your speakers to the amp AND play music through them for burn in? Isn't the point of having the amp to play music, allllllll the time?!  :wink: Sorry, this is the non-audiophile  :) talking, if burn-in is a "must" why not just play music through all the time?  :scratch: so confused I don't get you guys at all!  :oops:

There are nervous audiophiles and relaxed audiophiles. The relaxed sort just play music and enjoy it. If the Virtue seems to get better and better after that first 100 hours, it's a bonus. Us nervous types are fearful. It may not sound too good at first so we are reluctant to listen to it very closely until after the "official" break-in period. The relaxed types might even harbor a suspicion that "break-in" may not really exist other than in that strange area between the ears. But they dare not verbalize this lest they get thrown out of the temple. Lucky you, you get to deal with both groups.

brother love

« Reply #201 on: 8 Oct 2010, 07:11 pm »
Cami, I'm planning to play music through the Sensation as much as possible.  However, I can't play this amp 24/7 at loud volumes without bothering the household and my neighbors.  I was trying to figure out if having the amp 'on' and 'receiving an input signal' would be enough to burn the amp in during periods when I couldn't have it on and rocking the house beams.

Hope that makes sense.  I am trying to get through the break-in period as quickly as possible without straining neighborly relations.

dburna, 

Your logic is fine. I did "burn-in" for my Sensation w/ tube buffer for a full 24/7 leaving various CD's on repeat.  I played at louder levels of 75- 83 db range during listening sessions & when leaving the house (although the cat didn't care for that too much  :wink:).  But that isn't feasible at night, so I just left on at really low levels.  Works out just fine & dandy!  :green:

Mama Virtue

« Reply #202 on: 8 Oct 2010, 07:32 pm »
Yea, I didn't mean to play blasting music 24/7, sorry for the confusion :) However, I was referring to low levels, just barely turning the volume up. And yea, in my short tenure with Virtue I've learned that there are both groups, and some seem overly superstitious that if they hear ANYTHING before the 100 hrs they'll jinx their chances at great sound  :wink: As the one who generally gets to play with your gear before you receive it....it sounds great at my house or it doesn't ship  :D
Anyway, you all generally brighten my day with your nuances towards music and gear, it really baffles me. You can now give Jason a sympathetic glance for having to deal with me, and my general "not getting" the Audiophile thing for the last 5 years!  :icon_twisted: I'm surprised he hasn't buried me in the desert yet LOL

CSI

« Reply #203 on: 8 Oct 2010, 07:46 pm »
Yea, I didn't mean to play blasting music 24/7, sorry for the confusion :) However, I was referring to low levels, just barely turning the volume up. And yea, in my short tenure with Virtue I've learned that there are both groups, and some seem overly superstitious that if they hear ANYTHING before the 100 hrs they'll jinx their chances at great sound  :wink: As the one who generally gets to play with your gear before you receive it....it sounds great at my house or it doesn't ship  :D
Anyway, you all generally brighten my day with your nuances towards music and gear, it really baffles me. You can now give Jason a sympathetic glance for having to deal with me, and my general "not getting" the Audiophile thing for the last 5 years!  :icon_twisted: I'm surprised he hasn't buried me in the desert yet LOL

Don't worry about the desert. Every male audiophile needs a woman in his life to keep him sane. As long as you keep your sense of humor you're good to go.

jtsnead

« Reply #204 on: 9 Oct 2010, 04:03 am »
Anybody try a Sylvania 5751 non gold pin in the 901

OzarkTom

« Reply #205 on: 9 Oct 2010, 12:43 pm »
Anybody try a Sylvania 5751 non gold pin in the 901

The Sylvania GB with gols pin is the best so far.  The only one I have not tried is the Raytheon 5751 with windmill getter. I have somewhere read the non gold pin is not nuch difference.

Second favprite is the GE 3-mica black plate. You can find that one a lot cheaper. I believe I have some extras floating around here if you want to try the GE. I paid $18 each for the GE's.

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #206 on: 9 Oct 2010, 01:19 pm »
Hi Tom
I agree with your assessment of the Sylvania G B 5751. 8)
I have tried at least a half dozen variations and keep coming back to the Sylvania GB. It has a musical lift, a little more spring in the step and I liken it to when you bypass the buffer and then switch back to it. A similar improvement happens when reversing the phasing on my Eastern Electric DAC subtle definitely but musically an improvement.

JeffB

« Reply #207 on: 13 Oct 2010, 12:11 am »
Where can the Sylvania 5751 with Gold Pin be purchased and what is the price?

momini1

« Reply #208 on: 13 Oct 2010, 01:15 pm »
If you want to stick to reputable sellers - as opposed to dealing with a stranger on e-bay - tubeworld and audiotubes.com both sell this tube. I've used both sellers, and they are reputable and easy to deal with. The tube is pricey with single tubes going for $80 to $100. There are alternatives in the 5751 world, like the GE triple mica which go for $60 to $70. The triple mica GE is supposed to be very resistant to microphonics because of extra mica topplate.
I've spent a lot of money on tubes for my Onix SP3 (probably more than I paid for the amp) and while there are some differences in tonal balance, it is a crapshoot since the condition of the tube and your related equipment can have just as big an impact as the tube selection. I've bought some expensive tubes - telefunkens, mullards, etc. - that didn't justify the cost. I also had a very old and very expensive brimar 13d blow up after about three months of use. I like tube rolling, too, but I've kind of given up on it as a route to sonic nirvana. I've got a selection of 12a_7s and 5751s that I just rotate through the Sensation for fun. Just my opinion, but I would rather have a variety of tubes to play around with than spend a lot of money on one tube.

brother love

« Reply #209 on: 13 Oct 2010, 01:31 pm »
Thanks momini1.  Good stuff.  What speakers are you using w/ the Sensation/ Dodd tube buffer?  Do you have a current favorite tube w/ your system?

All the tube rolling info shared in this thread is top notch. Hats off to all involved !   8) 

momini1

« Reply #210 on: 13 Oct 2010, 04:55 pm »
Thanks. Right now I am using an RCA cleartop 5814 (12AU7). You can usually find this with matched sections for around $25 or $30.  I think it is my favorite overall. I've also used my other Brimar 13d5(too soft a sound), an Amperex Bugle Boy ECC88  Holland with top round getter, a JAN Philips 5751 (got the rustling noise other people complain about although it was a great tube in the onix), Realistic 12 ax7 (this is a rebadged tube from  RCA, I think), Baldwin 12ax7 (again, an RCA made tube), Matsushita 12 ax7 (crisp and pretty reasonable), Telefunken 12ax7 smooth plate (NOS and expensive - but a really great tube for both the onix and the Sensation). I'm sure there were some others, too. Actually, the JJ it comes with is not a bad tube at all.
I use Usher be718 speakers here in the office, with an Audio-gd dac-200, a wadia i170 transport, ipod classics and a rega jupiter cd player. Signal and zu cables. I've ordered the Zu omens and am waiting on them.

ltr317

« Reply #211 on: 13 Oct 2010, 05:28 pm »
Thanks. Right now I am using an RCA cleartop 5814 (12AU7). You can usually find this with matched sections for around $25 or $30.  I think it is my favorite overall. I've also used my other Brimar 13d5(too soft a sound), an Amperex Bugle Boy ECC88  Holland with top round getter, a JAN Philips 5751 (got the rustling noise other people complain about although it was a great tube in the onix), Realistic 12 ax7 (this is a rebadged tube from  RCA, I think), Baldwin 12ax7 (again, an RCA made tube), Matsushita 12 ax7 (crisp and pretty reasonable), Telefunken 12ax7 smooth plate (NOS and expensive - but a really great tube for both the onix and the Sensation). I'm sure there were some others, too. Actually, the JJ it comes with is not a bad tube at all.
I use Usher be718 speakers here in the office, with an Audio-gd dac-200, a wadia i170 transport, ipod classics and a rega jupiter cd player. Signal and zu cables. I've ordered the Zu omens and am waiting on them.

You're mixing 6 and 12 volt tubes.  Is there a switch to do that in the Dodd buffer? 

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #212 on: 13 Oct 2010, 05:33 pm »
You're mixing 6 and 12 volt tubes.  Is there a switch to do that in the Dodd buffer?
There is on the kit version.

se-riously

« Reply #213 on: 14 Oct 2010, 12:39 am »
Where can the Sylvania 5751 with Gold Pin be purchased and what is the price?

JeffB - I just bought a pair of Sylvania GB-5751 triple mica with gold pins from Paul Lindemann for $200, since tubeworld and audiotubes.com are sold out.  Paul is supposed to be a reputable seller based on other threads I've read.  I should get it by next week.  Since I only need one for my Sensation M451, I'd be happy to sell you or anyone else who's interested the other tube for $100 + shipping + Paypal if used.

You can see Paul's audiogon listing here:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?accstube&1290611426&/Sylvania-Gold-Brand-GB-5751--1

OzarkTom

« Reply #214 on: 14 Oct 2010, 01:12 am »
JeffB - I just bought a pair of Sylvania GB-5751 triple mica with gold pins from Paul Lindemann for $200, since tubeworld and audiotubes.com are sold out.  Paul is supposed to be a reputable seller based on other threads I've read.  I should get it by next week.  Since I only need one for my Sensation M451, I'd be happy to sell you or anyone else who's interested the other tube for $100 + shipping + Paypal if used.

You can see Paul's audiogon listing here:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?accstube&1290611426&/Sylvania-Gold-Brand-GB-5751--1

Paul is one of the best to deal with, very honest.

mamba315

« Reply #215 on: 14 Oct 2010, 06:34 am »
se-riously, you have PM

se-riously

« Reply #216 on: 14 Oct 2010, 05:43 pm »
Paul is one of the best to deal with, very honest.

Yep.  I (and one other person) really lucked out on this one.  Here's what Paul wrote to me last night:

Bryant:

Just finished re-testing - perfect balance tubes 1300/1300 & 1300/1300 with A and A+ microphonics - The best and quitest GB5751 I have ever tested...Enjoy.

Fed Ex no signature required - Your tracking number: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Regards,

Paul

That said, I already have three people who wanted to purchase the extra tube, in the following order:

1)  Parkfly
2)  mamba315
3)  pwag

OzarkTom

« Reply #217 on: 28 Nov 2010, 08:47 pm »
Has anyone tried the Raytheon 5751 tube yet? I hear that one is very good also.

OzarkTom

« Reply #218 on: 1 Dec 2010, 11:23 pm »
Has anyone tried the Raytheon 5751 tube yet? I hear that one is very good also.

I finally found one at a decent price, I should get it by the end of the week. It should be interesting between the Raytheon and the Syvania GB.

jtsnead

« Reply #219 on: 4 Dec 2010, 09:48 pm »
Hey Tom,

Thanks again for the tube you sent me, I just won an auction on
a Sylvania GB5751. I will have to compare and let you know