Re: Sensation Dodd Tube Buffer
« Reply #140 on: 9 Aug 2010, 02:09 pm »
Audo
YES, Pre-out are tube buffered.
 :thumb:

TrungT

« Reply #141 on: 10 Aug 2010, 06:19 pm »
My Sensation have been playing almost 24hr.
The first time TV have a break last night.
Now I understand what's all the Sensation owner said.  :duh:
WoW
Nice smooth, soft and detail sound come from the Sensation.  :thumb:
Last night, Sensation lack of the bottom end, but right now the bass is there and very nice deep.
All I can say: Sensation  :thumb:
More soon.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #142 on: 10 Aug 2010, 07:30 pm »
Very nice!!! Enjoy Trung...it gets better, and better, and.... :thumb: :thumb:

OzarkTom

« Reply #143 on: 14 Aug 2010, 07:14 pm »
Finally, I got one of those GE triple mica black plate 5751 tubes in. If you are tube rolling, this is a must buy for your tube arsenal. But it might not be cheap. I see why some tube dealers are charging up to $200 for these.

It has the best tonal quality of instruments of all tested, while giving the same vocals that the RCA gives. Big soundstage, best detail in the higher frequencies, with the best focus of all. Wuth this tube, you will be saying "sweeeeet".

TrungT

« Reply #144 on: 18 Aug 2010, 04:05 am »
Well after week playing Sensation, switched out few time between Class D and Sensation and here my thought (I'm no expert, this is my personal thought)

Sensation                              Class D
Low power                             Hi power
Quiet                                    Quiet
Smooth                                 In your face power
Vocal above tweeter                Vocal at tweeter
Wide stage                            Wide Stage
Tube like warm                       Digital dynamic
Tube rolling                            Tube rolling Dodd Buffer
80W PWR supply                    12V battery 100AH
$1000  loaded(round off)         $2000 Dodd buffer and Dodd class D
Nice relax jam session             Loud, party jam session

My system:
Dunlavy SCIV, Mac Mini, Musicstreamer +, DIY IC

ltr317

« Reply #145 on: 18 Aug 2010, 04:38 am »
Well after week playing Sensation, switched out few time between Class D and Sensation and here my thought (I'm no expert, this is my personal thought)

Sensation                              Class D
Low power                             Hi power
Quiet                                    Quiet
Smooth                                 In your face power
Vocal above tweeter                Vocal at tweeter
Wide stage                            Wide Stage
Tube like warm                       Digital dynamic
Tube rolling                            Tube rolling Dodd Buffer
80W PWR supply                    12V battery 100AH
$1000  loaded(round off)         $2000 Dodd buffer and Dodd class D
Nice relax jam session             Loud, party jam session

My system:
Dunlavy SCIV, Mac Mini, Musicstreamer +, DIY IC

Trung,

Does your list mean you like both amps equally for different reasons?   :scratch:

Paul

TrungT

« Reply #146 on: 18 Aug 2010, 05:06 am »
Hi Paul
Yes they both are keeper.
Love the Sensation and enjoy listen to them, Dodd class D is one of it kind, Dodd Buffer will go with any amp.  :thumb:
Depend your mood I guess.
I have been listen to the Class D for awhile, so for now, the Sensation will take place of the Class D  :thumb:

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #147 on: 18 Aug 2010, 06:38 am »
The IR stuff is very good and SOOO easy to make!  We have all the gerber files and could have put it into production months ago.  But we're going to stick to unique products and that sometimes means toughing it out and passing on the low-hanging fruit.

denjo

« Reply #148 on: 19 Aug 2010, 03:24 am »
Seth
When I auditioned the Sensation 901 (without Dodd buffer but with JT Dynamic PSU), the unit was quite warm to the touch. When the Sensation is operating via the tube buffer, would it be equally hot or hotter?
Thanks.

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #149 on: 19 Aug 2010, 05:03 am »
Our amps run really hot in part because we configure Tripath for the lowest distortion possible  The tube buffer adds nothing to the heat - no more no less.

tw_switzerland

• I like the 3D imaging of a good stereo chain.
« Reply #150 on: 19 Aug 2010, 06:14 am »
Seth,

that's an interesting point! It's not the first time i saw this question in the forum about the amp running warm.

Can you tell us something about the differences to the usual low voltage Tripath amps that normally have an efficiency around 90% and nearly no waste heat? What is the benefit?

By the way: Are all Virtue amps driven that way (especially Virtue ONE/TWO/Sensation).

Thanks!

Thomas

momini1

« Reply #151 on: 19 Aug 2010, 12:33 pm »
The Sensation is definitely very warm to the touch, especially on the right side where the heat pipes are attached. I would hesitate to call it hot - after running an Onix sp3  with 10 tubes for a couple of years, I probably have a higher standard for hot than most people.  I go from "stand-by" to "on" at 7:00 a.m. and it is on until 6:00 p.m., and I don't notice much difference in temperature throughout the day.  I do turn it off for the week-ends if I don't plan on being in the office.  I did not notice any signficant difference in temperature before and after the Dodd mod.

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #152 on: 20 Aug 2010, 12:15 am »
Thomas,
I posted some secret sauce and deleted it.  We run hotter than other Tripath amps.  Let's just leave it at that.
Seth

OzarkTom

« Reply #153 on: 22 Aug 2010, 03:06 am »
Sheesh, just when I get the best sound that I think I can possibly get out of my Sensation, I pop another tube in and it gets better. This time it is the Sylvania Gold Brand GB-5751 tube, triple mica. This gets better detail than any other while giving even a more livelier sound. Best 3D effects of any of the other tubes, best focus on the vocals, best dynamics. In my system, this even beats the GE. I wish you guys could hear this.

The bad thing is, one of the most expensive, but I had to try it.

CSI

« Reply #154 on: 22 Aug 2010, 07:10 pm »
Sheesh, just when I get the best sound that I think I can possibly get out of my Sensation, I pop another tube in and it gets better. This time it is the Sylvania Gold Brand GB-5751 tube, triple mica. This gets better detail than any other while giving even a more livelier sound. Best 3D effects of any of the other tubes, best focus on the vocals, best dynamics. In my system, this even beats the GE. I wish you guys could hear this.

The bad thing is, one of the most expensive, but I had to try it.

I'll second the 5751 effect. I found a reasonably priced 1953 vintage GE triple mica 5751 and it is easily the most holographic of them all (so far). Sweeter than the stock JJ and superior to the too mellow Mullard CV4003 I tried. My 5751 was used and makes noise when the volume knob is turned but it still makes a great amp sound even greater.

OzarkTom

« Reply #155 on: 22 Aug 2010, 09:32 pm »
I'll second the 5751 effect. I found a reasonably priced 1953 vintage GE triple mica 5751 and it is easily the most holographic of them all (so far). Sweeter than the stock JJ and superior to the too mellow Mullard CV4003 I tried. My 5751 was used and makes noise when the volume knob is turned but it still makes a great amp sound even greater.

All the 5751 tubes are noisier when you adjust the volume control, new or used. I read where that tube has 70% of the gain that the 12ax7 has. That GE  you have is very, very nice. One of my top three favorites.

mamba315

« Reply #156 on: 28 Aug 2010, 08:07 pm »
I'll be sending my M901 to Gary in a couple weeks.  So I'll be tube shopping in a month or so.  Problem is, I've never owned tube gear.  What are the best ways of getting good tubes?  Any reputable sellers?  What can I do to minimize the chance of buying duds?  Any tube shopping advise y'all can offer would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

PSB Guy

« Reply #157 on: 28 Aug 2010, 08:41 pm »
I'll be sending my M901 to Gary in a couple weeks.  So I'll be tube shopping in a month or so.  Problem is, I've never owned tube gear.  What are the best ways of getting good tubes?  Any reputable sellers?  What can I do to minimize the chance of buying duds?  Any tube shopping advise y'all can offer would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
This thread should have most or all of your answers.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=34599.0

Cornelis

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #158 on: 28 Aug 2010, 08:41 pm »
mamba315- I'm new to tubes also, I found very good sites from:
 http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=34599.0
also a bunch of tubes come up for sale in the trading post here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=106.0
I just recently bought tubes from:
http://www.tube-shop.com/usa/home.asp
and got them without an issue. If I'm unsure of a size most of the time guys on here will be glad to help.
 Enjoy!!!

Robb_G

« Reply #159 on: 2 Sep 2010, 05:50 pm »
I am also new to tubes, but it sure does seem like a lot of fun!

I have found that the following site appears to have a lot of great stuff:

http://tctubes.com/

I sent them an inquiry, and one of the owners replied very quickly.  I just placed my first order, and I am really looking forward to trying out the new tubes.  I have ordered the following:

12AX7 / 12AX7A / ECC83 Vintage Yugoslavia - made for Audio Research (based on their recommendation)
http://tctubes.com/12AX7-ECC83-smooth-plates-Audio-Research-Corporation.aspx

and

12AU7 Raytheon made - black plates, organ stock
http://tctubes.com/Raytheon-12AU7-Raytheon-black-plate-organ-stock.aspx
« Last Edit: 3 Sep 2010, 12:01 am by Robb_G »