N3 build

mms3

N3 build
« on: 9 Jun 2010, 12:31 pm »
Some pictures of my progress so far....

gluing braces:

bottom panel with threaded inserts:

I wanted to have a removable base, so that I could change it later on if I didn't like my original idea.  I ended up stripping out one of the threaded inserts after the bottom panel was glued on...bummer...its not removable anymore.  Not a huge issue though.

2 sections for the base:

with the bottom panel to give a floating look:

brace B's cut and glued on:

glued up (minus front and back panels), visible part of the port painted (it will be front facing), and veneer applied:

Next up is to flush trim the front and back panels, then cut out holes for the drivers/ports....

sl_1800

Re: N3 build
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jun 2010, 12:08 pm »
very nice

Nick77

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jun 2010, 12:13 pm »
Those look awesome!  :thumb: :thumb:

Thanks for the step by step build photos. What kind of veneer?

mms3

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2010, 01:24 pm »
It's maple ambrosia.  I used raw veneer with the Heat Lock method.  Had a couple minor issues with it, but nothing that couldn't be repaired.

aharami

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2010, 07:27 pm »
very nice.  I'll be keeping an eye on this thread as I'm planning my first DIY speaker build in the next month.  I was wondering how to proceed with the N3 build, but your pictures make that clear.  Did you use just glue and clamp to hold all the pieces together?  or did you screw or nail also?  What type of glue did you use?  I have used gorilla glue before to build a sub box.  It holds super strong, but makes a huge mess when it oozes out and expands while drying.

And if you don't mind, can you detail out some veneering tips?

mms3

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun 2010, 09:30 pm »
very nice.  I'll be keeping an eye on this thread as I'm planning my first DIY speaker build in the next month.  I was wondering how to proceed with the N3 build, but your pictures make that clear.  Did you use just glue and clamp to hold all the pieces together?  or did you screw or nail also?  What type of glue did you use?  I have used gorilla glue before to build a sub box.  It holds super strong, but makes a huge mess when it oozes out and expands while drying.

I just used Titebond III glue and clamps.  No nails or screws.

And if you don't mind, can you detail out some veneering tips?

This was my first attempt at veneer, so I might not be the best person to give advice.  But, you can use that as encouragement.  :D  I did a lot of research on it first, and most people seem to agree that Heat Lock or another iron-on method is the best approach for beginners like us.  Check out http://www.joewoodworker.com/ for more info on it, and step-by-step instructions.  Search this circle too...there's a wealth of info on veneering....iron-on, and other methods.

I used raw veneer, which is cheaper, but apparently harder to work with compared to paper-backed.  I did have some problems with trying to get it flat, and splitting edges, but I got through it.  If you do go with raw, I found veneer softneer to be essential.  At least with maple...other species may not be as prone to warping/cracking.

HT cOz

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jun 2010, 02:03 am »
Wow very nice work  :thumb:

Rclark

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jun 2010, 09:01 am »
my immediate-future speakers  :o

I'll be hitting you up for build advice. Looking forward to seeing your finished product and reading your impressions.

mms3

« Reply #8 on: 24 Jun 2010, 01:18 pm »
Some more progress.....

Front and back panels

crossover....tested, and it works  :thumb:

NoRez-ed

and the crossover in place

That's it for now.  I'm hoping to be listening to them by this weekend  :D

Ron

« Reply #9 on: 24 Jun 2010, 02:07 pm »
 Your N3's look great! Nice construction work. Thanks for posting the pictures for everyone to see. Anxious to read your listening impressions.

mms3

« Reply #10 on: 25 Jun 2010, 01:38 pm »
Your N3's look great! Nice construction work. Thanks for posting the pictures for everyone to see. Anxious to read your listening impressions.

Thanks, Ron.  I've got them all together now...pics will be posted in a few minutes.  I was up late finishing them, and I'm at work now, so I haven't had a chance to listen yet.  I'll post some impressions after I have some time with them this weekend.

mms3

« Reply #11 on: 25 Jun 2010, 01:44 pm »
front baffle and base glued on.  poly fill stuffed.

and here they are in their new home

chlorofille

• 8'' MTM with scanspeak 21w8554 & D2904 7100
« Reply #12 on: 25 Jun 2010, 01:55 pm »
Excellent veneering. Love the solid enclosure.
How heavy is each enclosure ?
Also, once the speakers are playing, pls report back about any enclosure resonances. (if any)

Thanks !

NeilT

« Reply #13 on: 25 Jun 2010, 02:21 pm »
Thanks, Ron.  I've got them all together now...pics will be posted in a few minutes.  I was up late finishing them, and I'm at work now, so I haven't had a chance to listen yet.  I'll post some impressions after I have some time with them this weekend.

Looks great, and don't you hate it when work gets in the way of important things.
Neil

mms3

« Reply #14 on: 25 Jun 2010, 03:46 pm »
Excellent veneering. Love the solid enclosure.
How heavy is each enclosure ?
Also, once the speakers are playing, pls report back about any enclosure resonances. (if any)

Thanks !

I didn't weigh them, but they're pretty heavy.  Another N3 owner may be able to say.  I'll report back after this weekend.

mms3

« Reply #15 on: 25 Jun 2010, 03:48 pm »
Looks great, and don't you hate it when work gets in the way of important things.
Neil

I know....I'm dying right now.  I spent months building them, and now they're just sitting there without me.

HAITIMAN

« Reply #16 on: 25 Jun 2010, 03:59 pm »
Impressive....to say the least.

Danny Richie

« Reply #17 on: 25 Jun 2010, 04:11 pm »
Wow, those look nice.  :thumb:

ebag4

« Reply #18 on: 25 Jun 2010, 04:15 pm »
Really nice build!

I love your choice of veneer, nice job!

Best,
Ed

ichillpill

« Reply #19 on: 25 Jun 2010, 04:21 pm »
Where will you be putting the GR emblem?