Virtue Audio Tour Impression thread

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: Virtue Audio Tour Impression thread
« Reply #20 on: 11 Jun 2010, 06:35 pm »

TWO.2--More Orange(think JBL orange) than this photo shows
I'm diggin it...1/2 hour in with bookshelves (L20T) no sub...I could live with this very easily!

Mariusz

« Reply #21 on: 12 Jun 2010, 12:32 am »
Hi guys
You might find the fallowing "break-in" notes interesting.

Sensation M-451 and Piano CD player are playing now for almost 80 hours straight. I have found the first 50 hours to be crucial. In this period, Sensation matured from puberty and shouty youth to pretty round up performer.
After 75 hours, changes are more subtle and less apparent. 
I've read it somewhere that Virtue Audio recommends a 100 hours before any critical  listening or evaluation. Seems like a good advice.

••••••

Fallow up to the bedroom system impressions........

75 hours later - some improvements in soundstage, depth, separation, imaging.

Out of curiosity, I dogged up my AMC sub with intent to use it with Sensation's sub-out.  (haven't use it for few years now)
And then....it hit me! AMC has a single L&R analog input only!  What???? "See, that is what happens when you eat to much red meat" ....... my grandmother use to tell me when I was a kid. I should have known that little detail but somehow it vaporize from my thick skull.
Pissed and angry (dragged that sucker all the way from the basement all the way to the 2nd floor bedroom) I was ready to toss that bugger out of the window when I realized that Sensation has "pre-out" option located right next to subwoofer output..... It worked!
                              ••••••
We all know what subwoofers do so I am going to spare you describing the benefits and my personal dislikes. Yes, it sure sounds bigger, bolder, muscular but in the same time it reminds me why I chose to move towards the full range, single driver designs.

Nothing wrong with using the quality subwoofer..... it is just not my cup of tea. Besides, bedroom is a NO, NO for anything bass heavy.  :wink:

Oh yeah,
and those two sets of analog outputs on Piano CDP I mentioned in one of my previous posts, are in fact both active and you can use them simultaneously.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #22 on: 12 Jun 2010, 12:56 am »
Mariusz-My TWO.2 was bright the first hour then unfolded into a smooth and detailed presentation, I added a sub to bring just a touch of presence to the low end. Now I'm torn between using these bookshelves(L20T) + sub OR just put the big 12"-3way (4312A) on some stands and set phasers for stun!!!!Its great to have awesome choices all of which are good. Bottom line is these babies sound great!!

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #23 on: 12 Jun 2010, 01:01 am »

Mariusz

« Reply #24 on: 12 Jun 2010, 01:33 am »
Mariusz-My TWO.2 was bright the first hour then unfolded into a smooth and detailed presentation, I added a sub to bring just a touch of presence to the low end. Now I'm torn between using these bookshelves(L20T) + sub OR just put the big 12"-3way (432A) on some stands and set phasers for stun!!!!Its great to have awesome choices all of which are good. Bottom line is these babies sound great!!

It sure speaks music.

P.S
Sunday - I will replace Fostex drivers with
Jordans for a second and move Sensation/Piano combo to Martin Logan setup.
I will also use this oportunity to try Virtue Audio speaker cables which came with tour pieces.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #25 on: 12 Jun 2010, 12:04 pm »
Mariusz-I reread your sub story, my Polk PSW10 Powered Sub has stereo analog line in also so I just used left channel on sub..TWO.2 sub out (RCA) to Polk input (RCA)...adjust volume and crossover on sub to taste and wholla!!!2.1 painlessly if you need it. Did that help or did I read wrong as I had just eaten a steak to celebrate TWO.2's arrival!! :thumb: :thumb:

shawnbaden

« Reply #26 on: 13 Jun 2010, 05:41 am »
FedEx delivered my Sensation M451 this afternoon and it's been burning in ever since.  I'll report back tomorrow evening with initial impressions.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #27 on: 13 Jun 2010, 01:38 pm »
It took just about 3 days for my TWO.2 to really open up...I love the sound!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

sugbob21

« Reply #28 on: 25 Jun 2010, 05:58 pm »
Hi everyone
I was a local audiophile that Mariusz was able to deliver a Two.2 with a standard power supply to.  I had been curious to see what this amp sounded like as i had initially pre-ordered one but had to cancel for personal financial reasons at the time.
The wait was worth it. I have Omega 6 Alnico bookshelves and the amp , after about 2 days sounds exceptional. Upper octaves have a live "amped up" sound without being harsh and bass is quick and musical. I would love to hear this withan upgraded power supply to compare.Needless to say the best complement i can give it not being a musical critic is i can sit and enjoy music withoutfeeling i am missing anything.
It handled all sorts of music well and would highly recomend it.
one way or another i am going to get one of these things this time around.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #29 on: 26 Jun 2010, 05:48 pm »
sugbob21-Welcome to AC!! :thumb: :thumb:
I have had my TWO.2 for just 2 weeks and I find it hard to believe that such a small package can deliver the
quality of sound it does but I'm hearing it everyday. For those who may not be involved in the tour yet, you might want to check these
units out. The amount of options these bring to the table are varied and perfect for out of the box setup or tweaking if your so inclined.
 I patiently wait my turn for the Piano CDP, should be fine combo!! :drool:

ebag4

« Reply #30 on: 26 Jun 2010, 06:01 pm »
I have had the Two.2 version with batteries for a few days now.  What a great amp!  Even with the V1s (coaxes crossed at 200Hz) I can tell this amp has great bass.  It is clean but still musical.  I haven't (and will not) use the standard power supply but I can tell you that on the batteries it is very quiet, the music is coming fom a black background.  I am using it with my Dodd Buffer so both the preamp and amp are on batteries and it sounds fantastic.  I imagine the sound I am getting is similar to the Sensation with the Dodd buffer, that is a very good thing for the Sensation.

Great job Seth (and of course you too Gary!).

Best,
Ed

sugbob21

« Reply #31 on: 27 Jun 2010, 05:59 pm »
I am increasingly impressed with the standard power supply. can only imagine an upside to battery power and tube buffer would be the icing on the cake for me.  Piano cdp also sounds interesting.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #32 on: 27 Jun 2010, 06:33 pm »
sugbob21- if you jump I strongly recommend the 30V/130W PS if at all possible...sounds fabulous with it!!! :thumb: :thumb:
Have fun!!!

virtue

• Industry Participant
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #33 on: 27 Jun 2010, 06:48 pm »
Sounds like sugbob21 enjoys the black background of the battery supply.  The 30v/130w is a bit more "cheerful" in my own experience (I prefer it actually), but not as refined a supply for the critical audiophile.  The V1s are 95db + ... enough to reveal all!

Mariusz

« Reply #34 on: 27 Jun 2010, 07:58 pm »
No battery supply with Bob's (sugbob21) One.2.
Standard power supply. 

Mariusz

sugbob21

« Reply #35 on: 27 Jun 2010, 08:10 pm »
yes--- I have standard power supply.  Was just saying howbattery supply would further improve. the upgraded power supply mentioned by Seth sounds like something that would prob interest me over battery cause i am not electronically inclined and dont want to worry about when a battery is going to wear out.
right now using just my Omega 6 alnicos.
any one know how to correctly connect my Omega sub?  can i connect a second pair of speaker wires from speakers to sub?
One.2 has a single sub out but there are 2 inputs into the sub. (remember i said i wasnt to electronically inclined!)

virtue

• Industry Participant
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #36 on: 27 Jun 2010, 08:25 pm »
My guess is that you only need 1 of those inputs or can use a simple Y - rca splitter to take the mono out and create L/R signals.  Do not connect the high-level inputs from a Tripath amp as a precaution.  Louis can tell you definitively!

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #37 on: 27 Jun 2010, 08:29 pm »
sugbob21- use the sub output on the unit and connect it to L input on the sub or use a "Y"..I have the same set up with multiple inputs on my sub--POLK PSW10 and use only the left one..works great!!!

brother love

« Reply #38 on: 28 Jun 2010, 11:56 am »
Virtue Audio One.2 review w/ 30v/80w power supply & (2) 12v x 5 amp battery power supply

As a follow-up to my early impressions posted prior in this thread ...

I’ve had the One.2 for 17 days now w/ ~ 60 hrs. of loaded run time.  Let me say up front that I have been a budget audiophile for a great many years, & this product definitely fits in my “budget audio”  hall of fame right up there w/ Spica TC-50 speakers, AR turntable, Premier MMT tonearm, Grado cartridges, Superhon Dual Revelation preamp, Oppo BDP-83, etc.. 

The One.2 is great fun, silly good value & a real joy to listen to! 

I sampled w/ & w/o my servo sub (Rythmik F12) & w/ (2) sets of speakers: av123 ELT525 towers w/ Skiing Ninja master upgrades (Sonicap Platinum bypasses, No Rez) & GR Research N2x’s w/ Sonicap upgrades & No-Rez.  I A/B’d against my Denon 90w/ch AVR.

I listened to lots of CD Redbook familiar material thru my Oppo-BDP-83SE, enlisted my unbiased wife to hear a few choice tracks (she immediately noticed the One.2 improved sound), & repeated a given same song many times to compare. Typically I set volume to 82- 85 dB dB peak range in my 17' x 11' x 8' den.

Engaging the One.2 80 Hz jumper, switching fuses w/ a 6.3 amp slo-blo,  & adding the (2) 12v x 5amp battery power supply garnered the best results for me: more inner detail, deeper soundstage, subtle but sweet nuances, a little more punch.  Connecting the sub out to the servo sub filled-in the bottom end nicely.

The One.2 strength is tight, dynamic bass.  It takes you aback esp. given its diminutive size. Detail is another big plus. It has a real clean sound to it. Listening to Smashing Pumpkins Geek USA, there is a rapid kick drum run at the beginning. The One.2 coupled w/ the servo sub brought out detail & impact that I had never heard from this song.

I played Silver from the Pixies-Doolittle for my son (who has those younger ears w/ superior hearing to mine) & he said it sounded like a live performance. No better compliment than that!

I never experienced listener fatigue which I am fairly susceptible to. It’s quite smooth, but it’s still solid state. On a couple of hot mixes, I picked up some sibiliance (moreso on the N2x planar tweeters).  I can see where the Dodd Audio tube buffer could be an ideal fit to address less than optimum recordings.

Both the 2.2 uF & .1 uF Virtucaps sounded good, but I know from experience that the Sonicaps w/ platinum bypasses would definitely be a worthwhile upgrade.

Thanks Mariusz for setting this up & thanks Seth for the pleasure of auditioning your products.  The One. 2 is truly a giant killer for what it does.  I can easily see this as a permanent fixture in my 2 ch rig, unless I drop some more moolah to get the Sensation w/ tube buffer & Sonicaps upgrade …  :drool:

sugbob21

« Reply #39 on: 28 Jun 2010, 10:28 pm »
update----
left work early ,purchased a y connector for subwoofer.
WOW---- finally heard my subwoofer sound like something for the first time.
Never could completely identify bass drum until now.
Detail without fatigue.  Cant say enough about the one.2
Hate to use the word giant killer but i could easily live with this thing.
And its still breaking in.