Virtue Audio Tour Impression thread

Mariusz

Virtue Audio Tour Impression thread
« on: 8 Jun 2010, 01:51 am »
Hi guys

As you are probably aware, we're about to start Virtue Audio tour.
The products on tour are: Sensation M451 integrated amps (X2), Two.2 (X1) & One.2 (X1).
Most of the products come with Dodd Audio battery kit as well as stock power supplies.
In order for these impressions to carry more weight, I decided to start the thread here in
Cheap and Cheerful HiFi. We want these impressions to be unbiased, uncensored and informative.
There is no need for three or four separate threads for each product/model from Virtue Audio stable.
Posting all impressions here will not only be interesting and informative but it will give a reader rare opportunity to compare various experiences with different Virtue amp models and setups.

Thank You All

Regards
Mariusz :thumb:

Mariusz

Re: Virtue Audio Tour Impression thread
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jun 2010, 03:40 am »
Let me be the first to start things of.

I have rare luxury of having all these units home but believe it or not, today was my first encounter with Virtue Audio "house signature sound". Two.2 integrated is being tested by a friend of my that is also an audiophile and member of AC (not very active tho). His taste and gear preferences are similar to my own and we kind of pick each others brain from time to time.

So where shall we start....??? Well, how about few words describing my gear and my preferences towards music reproduction.

I like my music the same way I like my wine - rich, sophisticated and smooth.
Any trace of excessive brightness, edginess or dry presentation makes me uncomfortable and irritates my ear drums.
That is probably one of the reasons I jointed the "tube lovers" club.
Do not get me wrong, there is some fine sounding solid state gear. I just feel safer with tubes. (I have owned or still own - McIntosh Labs, Accuphase Labs, Red Wine Audio, Class-D KIT, Trends, Aura Note and few others)  Another reason why I prefer tubes over solid state is the old ritual of tube swapping. A phenomena which is a necessary evil for most tube components and addiction to those who own it. Tubes can reflect our individualism and sick urge to tweak our gear to the point of exhaustion. It is not always healthy but it sure is FUN.
But just like everything in life, it is a matter of taste and application.
That's right - application. Guys like myself who build their own little monster speakers based mostly on rather efficient full range driver, simply do not need that power-house of hundreds of watts per channel. You see, in most applications and with most of my simply build speakers, all I need is a good few watts for most of my listening and probably no more then 20wpc for most complex and demanding passages. Keep in mind that my listening room is on the small-medium side (19'X15'X11.5' high L-shape)

Here are few pics of my old setup - listening room is more or less the same (just to give you an idea)

My music preferences - generally, Jazz, Blues, Rock and everything in between and to the side.

The gear in use right now:

Source:
Squeezebox Touch
Onkyo iTransporter with iPod Touch (similar to Wadia setup)
Oppo BDP-83
Consonance Droplet CDP
Mac Book Air with Amarra Mini and Empirical Audio Pace Car reclocker
RWA Isabellina HPA DAC (X2) - one of them is modified to power Pace Car from its internal battery supply

Preamp:
one of Isabellinas HPA with variable out
custom build 6J5 tube base preamp
Nelson Pass DIY buffer

Amp:
custom 300b pse monoblocks
Decware monos
MiniWatt integrated
Aura Note all-in-one integrated amp/CDP
Class-D KIT amp
Trends Audio integrated

Analogue- won't be used in this evaluation

Speakers:

Martin Logan Aerius i (electrostatic)
Audio Nirvana 15" in Open Baffle
Audio Nirvan 8" Alnico - monitors - sealed
Audio Nirvana 6,5" - in TL
Fostex 4,5" -monitor sealed
Fostex 8" - double mouth back-loaded horns
Jordan - back-loaded horn

Sub: AMC B1-20 and GR Open Baffle sub

In the next few days or weeks I will report my findings about Virtue Audio amps.
It is too early to form any meaningful opinion about these amps other then I am very impressed with the top end and gut felt bass. Obviously these amps need to be broken in....... middle range sounds a bit harsh and brass instruments are almost unlistenable. But I am not discouraged. Actually I am looking forward to put some needed hours on this unit (Sensation M451) and let it settle in. It sounds impresive out of the box but Im waiting for that middle range to open up some more and that harsh, fresh, not broken in characteristics to go away.
(setup - iPod, iTransporter Onkyo, Isabellina HPA DAC, 4,5" Fostex full range driver in 0.2L sealed enclousure)

More to come :thumb:

ltr317

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jun 2010, 04:21 am »
Mariusz - You might want to add the Maverick Dac with the WE tube in the mix.  Cheers. 

Mariusz

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jun 2010, 06:02 am »
Mariusz - You might want to add the Maverick Dac with the WE tube in the mix.  Cheers.

Paul
Maverick is on loan in Jersey.
I should be getting it back this Friday.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #4 on: 8 Jun 2010, 12:02 pm »
+1 on the Mav. with WE tube.

The unit I'm getting is not a tour unit but I thought it would be good to keep this all together, Mariusz feel free to move this if you see fit.

I have a TWO.2(Auricaps + 30v/130W-PS) on its way to me that I will use in a 2.0 or 2.1 setup with my newly acquired JBL 4312A Control Monitors. I'll be using PS3(toslink) and DUET(Coax) to Grant Fidelity Tube DAC-09(WE396A tube) to Virtue Audio TWO.2 to JBL's and a Polk PSW10 sub. Wywire interconnects that will run from DAC to TWO.2 and speaker cables on loan from fellow ACer.
 I'm stoked!!!! :thumb: :thumb:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 8 Jun 2010, 12:22 pm »
I think you're going to love the TWO.2

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 8 Jun 2010, 12:30 pm »
I see where if I want I can bypass the volume atten. and use my DAC as a pre, anybody do that yet?....lots of options for me with this rig.

Mariusz

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jun 2010, 12:54 am »
Piano M1 arrived.
Wow.....That CDP outputs a lot of gain.

Link to picture of Piano M1 and Sensation M451

Mariusz

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jun 2010, 04:29 am »
Here is another view of my bedroom window setup.
Units match perfectly and look quite handsome stocked up.

Window system view

I am also happy to report that I am able to control both with my iPod Touch and L5 remote adapter. Very cool gadget with some useful features like custom buttons and macros.

http://www.l5remote.com/wp-content/header-images/L5_home-top-feature01.jpg
http://www.l5remote.com/

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 9 Jun 2010, 08:00 pm »
How do they sound? :thumb:

Mariusz

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jun 2010, 10:57 pm »
How do they sound? :thumb:

Sounds great after I left both units on for 24h straight.
Soundstage opened up a bit and harshness is a bit less apparent.

Please keep in mind that this is my bedroom system with windows right behind speakers which is FAR from optimal.

Amp is pretty crisp, punchy and quite quick.
Piano M1 CDP complements Sensation M451 and seems like perfect companion. 
Ofcause Virtue remote has all necessary functions for both units so all you need is
a single remote control. One thing I have noticed about remote receivers on both units is that for some reason Piano M1 CDP is less sensitive then Sensation unit.
Both work perfectly however sensation will even pick up a signal if you point the remote in opposite direction while Piano cdp angle is limited to about 90 degree (which is still better then most).
One complaint regarding Piano CDP from functionality point of view:
- in order to turn the unit "off", you need to move your butt and manually push the power "off" button. In dedicated listening room or living room, it might not be an issue but I just hate to get up from bed ones I settle in.  :duh:
(I have the same issue with Isabellina HPA).
CD player's digital display is nicely balanced (size/ brightness). It's rather easy to figure out basic CD information like track number and time. However, play, pause, stop, repeat etc. icons could have been a bit larger.
Also, it takes almost a minute from the moment you push the "power" button to the first note on your CD. Again, it's nothing major but it should be mentioned. 
Other then these quirky and selfish complaints there is nothing to cry about. Fit and finish is top notch and the player feel a lot more expensive then its asking price.
You might notice one feature on the back of the unit which might be useful and apealing to some of us. That feature ofcause is a second set of L/R analog outputs.
It works especially well in my bedroom setup, feeding dedicated amp from Stax Lambda headphone system.   

Listening to:
(check out track 12&14 for female and male vocal)

« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2010, 05:50 am by Mariusz »

wushuliu

« Reply #11 on: 10 Jun 2010, 05:41 am »
Nice listening pad, Mariusz.

Some day I'll have that.

Some day.  :cry:

Lyndon

« Reply #12 on: 10 Jun 2010, 05:51 am »
Love the set up, MariusZ :thumb:

Mariusz

« Reply #13 on: 10 Jun 2010, 06:13 am »
Thanks guys but it's FAR from perfect.
Actually it's far from good.
This room is a nightmare to setup and still function as a family room/living room.
This picture is almost 2 years old and most gear/speakers on those pictures is GONE.
System then consisted of Vandersteen Quatro speakers, Consonance Cyber 800 monos and Supratek preamp among other toys. But those days are GONE.
What I would really like to do with this room is to have a pro..... install invisible acoustic treatments.
Or wife approved alternatives.

Believe it or not but I managed to implement some tricky treatments with wife's approval. (see it?)

Another downside of having your listening room in living room - NO HORNS !!!
(keep in mind that my reference horns stand almost 80" tall, 14" wide & 20" deep :duh: :lol: :wink:)

So do not be jealous.........sometimes I dream of my very own basement or crawl space :lol:

Cheers

brother love

« Reply #14 on: 10 Jun 2010, 09:24 am »
Believe it or not but I managed to implement some tricky treatments with wife's approval. (see it?)

Is this like "where's Waldo'?  :icon_lol:  I see narrow panels in corners behind speakers, some early reflection side panels, & some sweet looking side diffusers.  :drool:  There also looks to be another diffuser possibly on the listener left wall. And do the front & back walls have cork (or is that tile)?

Thanks for the early review. I do think a little patience on our part to allow some burn-in time will help in the final analysis.

Keep those cards & letters coming boys & girls Mariusz .  :green:

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 10 Jun 2010, 12:32 pm »
Mariusz-we got to get you a better chair!!! :thumb:

Mariusz

« Reply #16 on: 10 Jun 2010, 02:50 pm »
Is this like "where's Waldo'?  :icon_lol:  I see narrow panels in corners behind speakers, some early reflection side panels, & some sweet looking side diffusers.  :drool:  There also looks to be another diffuser possibly on the listener left wall. And do the front & back walls have cork (or is that tile)?

Thanks for the early review. I do think a little patience on our part to allow some burn-in time will help in the final analysis.

Keep those cards & letters coming boys & girls Mariusz .  :green:

Bravo.
But sadly, side diffusers had to go.
So I need something more civil.
And yeah, that's cork alright.  It does the trick.

As to the ugly chair - it was a temp. solution.
Got the red leather sofa now - believe it or not ..... it sounds the same.

I'll report as I go. There is a lot more to be said but........till next time.  :drool:

Cheers

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 10 Jun 2010, 08:16 pm »
Does anybody else have a unit yet?? :thumb:

shawnbaden

« Reply #18 on: 11 Jun 2010, 01:58 pm »
Cami from Virtue Audio said I should be receiving the other Sensation M451.  My order has been marked as shipped so I'll post back here when I receive it.  I plan on letting it burn in at least 24 hours (if not longer) before even listening to it.

brother love

« Reply #19 on: 11 Jun 2010, 06:17 pm »
I got a surprise knock on the door the am & lo & behold FedEx had me a Virtue Audio box to sign for!  I didn't realize that I was getting the One. 2 so soon; but hey I'm not complaining...  :green:

I hooked-up One.2 w/ 30v 80w power supply to my av123ELT525 towers w/ Skiing Ninja master upgrades (Sonicaps & Platinum bypasses, No Rez) & Oppo BDP-83SE 2 ch.  Modest interconnects: 16 ga Audioquest speaker cables & Ram Electronics 2 ch RCA analog.  I ran mains full range for now. I also added Rythmik F12G servo sub (xover @ 50 Hz) on several songs.

I definitely need some burn-in time before final impressions are known, but preliminary review right out of the gate:

Intimately familiar CD-redbook listening material :
Pixies- Doolittle,  My Morning Jacket- Z, The Shins- Wincing the Night Away, Raconteurs-  Consolers of the Lonely, Spoon- Gimme Fiction
Miles Davis- Kind of Blue, Dave Brubeck- Time Out,  Marianne Thorsen & Trondheime Solistene- Mozart Violin Concertos, I heard it on NPR- World

Sweet sounding little amp & a cute little booger too (wife liked it which is always a good omen)!  8)  Ultra-fine detail, super tight & articulate bass, nice dynamics without harshness or glare.  A little edgy with first selections, but changed fairly quickly after an hour or so.

I pulled out the Rat Shack SPL meter to check volumes.  One. 2 stepped attenuator clicks look to be 2 dB increments.  I pushed towers w/o sub to 95 dB & detected no clipping or strain.  Most of my listening was in the 85 dB peak range.  ELT525 towers 86 dB efficiency was no problem for the One.2.  I typically had the One. 2 volume between 10- 12 o'clock.  Bass was so good that I didn't use the sub for most of the session (towers good down to 48 Hz -3dB).

After 3 hrs. of listening, I have no fatigue or strain which is always a critical parameter for me.  Unit was pretty  warm, but you could keep your hand on it.

I have purchased a pr. of used GR Research N2x's from a fellow AC member & should be able to audition next week w/ the One.2.

I can't believe this integrated amp is $349 (he said while shaking his head). Amazing value. Most definitely "Cheap & Cheerful Hi-Fi"  :thumb:

PS, I REALLY want to hear this amp w/ a battery power supply!