So, can I trade in my 30 year old 4B for a discount on one?  :drool:

Heck, my 4B is there in Canada already!

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
Re: 14B SST-2 Review in Secrets of Home Theater
« Reply #2 on: 4 Jun 2010, 01:05 am »
Killer review!

I liked this part the best...

"The sound of the 14B is on the neutral side. I did not perceive any tendency for bass, mids, or highs to be forward or recessed. It does not have a sound of its own, unless you can hear huge biceps flexing. It's rated at 600 watts, but it's like having a 12 gauge shotgun, loaded with double 00 buckshot and magnum powder charge."

Viajero5000

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jun 2010, 03:24 pm »
I think that by putting a lot of emphasis on how loud the amp plays, the reviewer is short changing the amp a bit. It's worth pointing out that:

1.   when used with the BP26, there is no sense of blandness or ‘bleaching’ which is sometimes synonymous with ‘neutral’ equipment
2.   the sound is very clear, but is also capable of being delicate, grain-free and sweet when the recording is

I rarely crank up my system, but do enjoy the above factors regardless....

95Dyna

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jun 2010, 03:30 pm »
I think that by putting a lot of emphasis on how loud the amp plays, the reviewer is short changing the amp a bit. It's worth pointing out that:

1.   when used with the BP26, there is no sense of blandness or ‘bleaching’ which is sometimes synonymous with ‘neutral’ equipment
2.   the sound is very clear, but is also capable of being delicate, grain-free and sweet when the recording is

I rarely crank up my system, but do enjoy the above factors regardless....

I think you have just described what is meant by the expression "an iron fist in a velvet glove" that is oft used in some high powered amplifier reviews.  There can be no higher compliment for a high powered solid state amp :thumb:>

Viajero5000

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jun 2010, 03:34 pm »
"an iron fist in a velvet glove"

that just about hits the nail on the head  :thumb:

vegasdave

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jun 2010, 04:32 pm »
Basically...it's a cliched phrase, but it works!

werd

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jun 2010, 05:51 pm »
This is the ultimate 2ch amp for all applications. The 6db gains allows for different setup configs along with the balance and rca options. It can be used in systems that want a forward slam or with a soundstage that sits back and  relaxes. The 14B sounds really good with rca in also. Its not just an xlr amp. It embodies the whole notion "you get what you pay for". This amp costs a lot but you get a lot back.

:thumb:

vegasdave

« Reply #8 on: 4 Jun 2010, 06:32 pm »
 8)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #9 on: 9 Jun 2010, 08:00 pm »
June 04 2010

System:

AMP: Bryston 14B SST2
PREAMP: Copland CTA 301 valve preamp
SPEAKERS: Snell A III
TURNTABLE: Voyd turntable, Helius Omega tonearm, Lyra Argo
CD-DVD: Mac mini, Apogee duet

Hi Bryston:

My dealer the Norwegian importer TAA import has listened to the best hi-fi equipment around. In his opinion the Bryston 14B SST2 is among the best amps around. At a comparison made in Sweden recently, it played better than all the other amps, including amps costing the double. 

Comments:
My amp has not been "played in" yet (I have owned it for 5 days) but it already plays with a stunning quality and control. Fantastic. The Snell A´s are not easy to control. For the first time the sound is presented with ease. Keywords are: musicality, presenting the music as a whole, a lot of "air" around each instrument, unlimited resources (power).

Steinar Lund

vegasdave

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jun 2010, 11:20 pm »
How does it make you feel to get letters like these?

95Dyna

« Reply #11 on: 10 Jun 2010, 02:47 am »

I can't speak for James but every good thing I hear about the 14B I consider to be applicable to the 7B's so as an owner of a pair of 7B SST2's it makes me feel great!  But I have to tell you I don't need anybody to tell me what superior amps both of these are.  I hear it first hand every day :D.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 10 Jun 2010, 02:18 pm »

Hi Dave,

Without getting too ‘schmaltzy’ about it I would say it makes me feel terrific that people out there get pleasure from the products we manufacture and the fact that music enhances their lives.

James

vegasdave

« Reply #13 on: 10 Jun 2010, 10:32 pm »
Cool. I'm glad you still feel that way. With all of these letters that you get, I thought you might be a bit jaded.

Viajero5000

« Reply #14 on: 12 Jun 2010, 09:14 pm »
Question for James - my 14B-SST2 runs much warmer than my 14B-ST.  The ST amp's top plate barely gets warm to the touch after a couple of hours' use, but the Squared amp gets what I would almost call hot, and stays quite warm while not in use.  Is this normal? If yes, why the operating temperature differences between the amps?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 13 Jun 2010, 12:27 am »
Question for James - my 14B-SST2 runs much warmer than my 14B-ST.  The ST amp's top plate barely gets warm to the touch after a couple of hours' use, but the Squared amp gets what I would almost call hot, and stays quite warm while not in use.  Is this normal? If yes, why the operating temperature differences between the amps?

Hi Viajero,

Each amp will be somewhat different because the bias is hand tuned to adjust for the lowest distortion - it should not be too hot to touch though. Also air flow around the amplifier will cause some to operate at different temperatures relative to others.  We can adjust the bias down a little which will make it run at a lower temperature if you wish.

james

Napalm

« Reply #16 on: 13 Jun 2010, 12:43 am »
Each amp will be somewhat different because the bias is hand tuned [...]

I like'm black and hot!

Nap.  :icon_twisted:

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #17 on: 13 Jun 2010, 01:24 am »
TMI  :o

:eyebrows:

vegasdave

« Reply #18 on: 13 Jun 2010, 01:36 am »
Yeah, really. lol.

Viajero5000

« Reply #19 on: 13 Jun 2010, 05:46 pm »
Hi Viajero,

Each amp will be somewhat different because the bias is hand tuned to adjust for the lowest distortion - it should not be too hot to touch though. Also air flow around the amplifier will cause some to operate at different temperatures relative to others.  We can adjust the bias down a little which will make it run at a lower temperature if you wish.

james

Ok, so nothing to be concerned about then.  Many thanks for clarifying that James.