powered 'pro' speakers for two-channel ///yes or no!

Huck

Hi; Just wondering if anyone here are using powered speakers for their two-channel setup, as I heard the other day just one RCF Art 315-A which has a 15" driver and 1" tweeter,with 300 watts for the woofer and 50 for the tweeter and the dealer had the clipping light flashing and man was it loud,that was just one speaker! I am tempted to buy two of these for two-channel listening, but not sure if the I-pod out or my c.d. player output would be enough to drive these speaks to a good volume without some kind of mixer or pre-amp,obviously I am not a technical listener, or I would be going with something more refined. Any comments,or which powered speaks you have heard that sound good for a  stereo rig?! Thanks,Keith

batmanslc2

Re: powered 'pro' speakers for two-channel ///yes or no!
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2010, 06:09 pm »
I have been using quad 12L active for a few years and LOVE them.  There are a number of good choices like audioengine that are active (powered) , I do use a good pre-amp (musical fidelity a3cr)

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2010, 07:22 pm »
Huck -  if you are looking for dynamics over that last modicum of refinement, and you may be, this is for you:
http://tinyurl.com/36zejvt

See these threads:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=73429.0
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=65255.0
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=56837.0

(I searched "unity Danley")

Huck

« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2010, 08:04 pm »
Russell: Yep! That Yorville is somethin for sure,albeit a little bit bigger and more than I would like to spend ( I can get 2 RCF 315A's for the price of that one Yorkville. The RCf 315A that I heard sure was loud and clear,right up to the clip lights flashing.I just sold my speakers and integrated,but now I am looking at the 'pro" speaks right now. I have looked at the JBL Eon 315,515,Mackie 450V,QSC K-12, but the only one I actually hear was this single RCF 315A,with the 15" woofer. I think a pair of these would fill my 12x24 rec room pretty good without a sub, but will they be able to be driven sufficiently being fed  right out of the line-out on my c.d. player and Nano I-pod,or will I need some sort of mixer or preamp ( me thinks so)?Thanks,Keith

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2010, 08:19 pm »
There are "pro" speakers and pro speakers. There seems to be rapid improvement in the field in the last very few years, as they clean up their act in the face of tightening competition.

I love my Klein and Hummel 0300s and would love to have a pair of 0400s, but couldn't quite swing it ($8500 street).

I have heard good things about some of the JBL models, such as the LSR series:
http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/General/ProductFamily.aspx?FId=7&MId=5
and:
http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/General/ProductFamily.aspx?FId=6&MId=5

then there are the Event Opals, about which I have seen amongst the most positive comments I have ever seen for a new product:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Opal/

Then finally, there are the various models by Earl Geddes which may well sound better than all the above (except the K+Hs, but, dollar for dollar, Earl's might go louder/cleaner).

In my opinion once the self powering is figured into the formula, along with the lack of expenditure on speaker wire these offer hard-to-beat bang for the buck.

bummrush

« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2010, 08:33 pm »
 Seems audio engine would be a very goodplace to look , i wouldn't have any problem using their products,especially for the decent price they sell for.

John Casler

« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2010, 08:41 pm »
Hi; Just wondering if anyone here are using powered speakers for their two-channel setup, as I heard the other day just one RCF Art 315-A which has a 15" driver and 1" tweeter,with 300 watts for the woofer and 50 for the tweeter and the dealer had the clipping light flashing and man was it loud,that was just one speaker! I am tempted to buy two of these for two-channel listening, but not sure if the I-pod out or my c.d. player output would be enough to drive these speaks to a good volume without some kind of mixer or pre-amp,obviously I am not a technical listener, or I would be going with something more refined. Any comments,or which powered speaks you have heard that sound good for a  stereo rig?! Thanks,Keith

As a Genelec dealer, I occasionally place the Genelecs in HT/2channel systems of sound production/engineering types.

Huck

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jun 2010, 11:13 am »
Hi: Anyone hear the Mackie HD-1521's in a home listening environment,or how about QSC K-12's,or RCF 315A's? Thanks,Keith
« Last Edit: 6 Jun 2010, 04:20 pm by Huck »

decal

« Reply #8 on: 6 Jun 2010, 03:26 pm »
I have yet to hear any "pro" speakers that I would want in my home system.Talk about listener fatigue!!But,hey,that's just me.Someone else may think they are perfectly fine for them and that's what makes this hobby so interesting.Everyone percieves sound in their own special way.There is no absolute right or wrong just what you like or don't like.People have been debating issues of sound for as long as there has been music,probably even before that!! :argue:

Doublej

« Reply #9 on: 6 Jun 2010, 03:46 pm »
As a Genelec dealer, I occasionally place the Genelecs in HT/2channel systems of sound production/engineering types.

John,

Tell us more. How do the Genelecs compare to audiophile speakers?

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #10 on: 6 Jun 2010, 05:41 pm »
I have yet to hear any "pro" speakers that I would want in my home system.Talk about listener fatigue!!

Then I feel completely confident in saying you have never heard Klein und Hummel (K+H, soon to be Neumann) 0300s or 0410s.

Period.

John Casler

« Reply #11 on: 6 Jun 2010, 05:59 pm »
John,

Tell us more. How do the Genelecs compare to audiophile speakers?

Hard to say what "audiophile" speakers are now days.  Kinda like what is a HT speaker, what is a pro speaker and what is a 2 channel speaker.

Aside from the utilititarian cabinets and the general ability to play at higher SPL's they should be very similar (maybe some might add a directivity element)

The only pair I spent any time with in two channel was with a composer friend of mine. who also used them also for production work.  So these were nearfield. HT208's.

I suppose one might consider that since these are what are used for production/monitoring, they would be more "neutral" to the source as the engineer intended it.

Most of us like a certain "sound" to our music which is created by different types and brands of speakers and the qualities designed into them by their makers.

For HT the Genelecs are incredible having a directivity and dynamic capabilities that work well for that application.

Directivity is a double edged sword.  It enhances more even distribution of frequencies in a room (why it is a primary goal of PRO and HT speakers), but can also present a larger amount of reflected room sound in a non-treated room.

Most speakers with their own amps are very well powered to perform well within their design capabilities.

decal

« Reply #12 on: 6 Jun 2010, 10:01 pm »
Then I feel completely confident in saying you have never heard Klein und Hummel (K+H, soon to be Neumann) 0300s or 0410s.

Period.
Then I feel completely confident that you are right.
Period.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #13 on: 6 Jun 2010, 10:42 pm »
Then I feel completely confident that you are right.
Period.
:D Seriously, you should try to seek them out for a listen!

They are not easy to find, but when Sennheiser starts cranking up manufacture and distribution under the Neumann name (changed from K+H in January of this year) you should start to see them around in better musicians' supply stores - probably for more money than they are currently going for, as Neumann is the most recognized of the high end microphone makers and typically, quite expensive.

Here's what another seeker said after getting a pair off eBay from a dealer, on my advice.

"They are pretty ugly, but far and away the best speakers I've heard. I like them on all music, but especially classical and voice.

Thanks again for steering them my way"

I don't think they are that ugly, but certainly not the ultimate in WAF.

decal

« Reply #14 on: 6 Jun 2010, 11:13 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion Russell but I think I'll just stick with my Tyler Acoustics 7U's.Have a good evening.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #15 on: 6 Jun 2010, 11:33 pm »
Tyler, I couldn't let you get away with that blanket dissing of pro speakers.

You have a good evening, too.

bunnyma357

« Reply #16 on: 7 Jun 2010, 12:34 am »
When I worked at Discovery we used Genelecs for monitoring in all of the video edit suites, and I never found them fatiguing, or grating. Most of the rooms were 2.0 systems, mine were set up in a 5.1 nearfield monitoring set up and were probably an 8030A/7060B system, but they might have been an older model.

I'd rate them as most have said pro speakers are - neutral, dynamic, analytical. I never felt compelled to consider them for a home system where I am more intent on enjoying the music, but I don't think they would do a poor job on music, and I could be happy with them.

In the audio suites they used Legacy studio monitors.

Jim C

decal

« Reply #17 on: 7 Jun 2010, 01:52 am »
Tyler, I couldn't let you get away with that blanket dissing of pro speakers.

You have a good evening, too.
I wasn't,as you say,"dissing" anything.I was just stating my thoughts on the OP's question.I have no problem with anything that anyone wants to listen to.I believe I made that very clear in my first post.

I have yet to hear any "pro" speakers that I would want in my home system.Talk about listener fatigue!!But,hey,that's just me.Someone else may think they are perfectly fine for them and that's what makes this hobby so interesting.Everyone percieves sound in their own special way.There is no absolute right or wrong just what you like or don't like.People have been debating issues of sound for as long as there has been music,probably even before that!!

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #18 on: 7 Jun 2010, 02:22 am »
All depends on what you want. For CHEAP, the AudioEngine's work pretty darn good for the $$$.  If you want a nice 2 channel system with active speaks, check out Dynaudio BM-6A's

Bryan

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #19 on: 7 Jun 2010, 11:30 pm »
Would just like to point out another option for active speakers, the single driver speaker. 

Years ago I auditioned the Paradigm Active 20 (small 2-way, $1600/pair) versus Studio 20 (small 2-way, $800/pair).  There was no comparison.  The Actives had flat frequency response, extremely dynamic, and unbelievably deep/full bass.  It was one of a hand full of audio epiphanies for me over 40 years in audio. 

Few have heard an acceptable single driver speaker as most lack bass.  PM me if you want to learn of a single driver solution that does nearly 10 octaves.