MikeG DAM get together

Pez

MikeG DAM get together
« on: 9 Nov 2009, 06:53 am »
Saturday a few guys got together to listen to some horn based speakers. It was the first time I had a chance to hear Mike's system since he has had the Abbys.  I gotta say Mike has done a fantastic job with setting up the room. The Abbys project a wonderful soundstage. Very three dimensional and very nice dynamics. Here are some pics of his setup. 

subs w/ MC275

Abbys

equipment rack

We started listening first with the Abbys of course. I really loved the way the disappeared into the room. On well recorded classical they didn't even sound like they were there are all, just the orchestra. Quite impressive.

We then switched to the Custom built Advent cabinet speakers that Wayne built. They were pretty nice sounding. Very articulate and tight in the bass region for some bookshelves and nice extended high end. They did a great job of throwing an image as well. They were not fully broken in which manifested in a bit of a dry sound overall, but once everything has some time on it I'm sure it will go away. I'm not sure how I managed to miss them, but I completely failed to get a picture of them. Deepest apologies on that.  :oops:

Next up were the Yorkvilles. These babies are not winning any beauty contests any time soon, but what they lack in looks they make up for in throwing a huge sound. We listened to some vinyl Billie Holiday and they did a wonderful job with the kick drum as well as instrument placement. They apparently have some issues with the crossover and need some EQing which we were unable to accomplish in this setup. I have heard them now in 2 setups and they generally sounded very nice, though I must admit I could never ever see owning these based solely on size and appearance.

Overall I thought the session was very enlightening. I thoroughly enjoyed hearing something completely different than what I am personally used to. I definitely see the appeal of horn based speakers and to my surprise the abbys and Waynes modded advents did not have a lot of coloration. The Yorkvilles did, but I'll forgive that due to the lack of some EQing. 

I want to thank MikeG for having us over and verifying my amp build.  :thumb: It was nice to see both you and Mary again.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: MikeG DAM get together
« Reply #1 on: 9 Nov 2009, 07:06 am »
Damn, I never realized how big those Abbey's really are. Those babies really fill a room.  :o  I hope I have an opportunity to hear them one of these days. Thanks for the sweet pictures Jason.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

mgalusha

« Reply #2 on: 9 Nov 2009, 12:41 pm »
It was nice to have some folks over. Jason's pictures make the Abbey's look bigger than they are, though they are not small. For perspective the stands they are on are 17" high.

I really liked the little Advent rebuilds. At first they were too bright for me but I had not realized the L-Pads were still in the circuit. Once Wayne adjusted the CD level things got much better. They will play much lower than the Abbeys will but at the expense of sensitivity and the little Mc was running out of gas on orchestral music.

I like the Unities as well but they had some discontinuity in the midrange. Doug mentioned he was EQ-ing them specifically for his room and setup and they sound very different in that system. I don't doubt that in the least. I could see these in a larger room, I think that would work well.

Thanks for the pics Jason, you did have to show my still, and perhaps forever, unfinished subs. :)

mike

brj

« Reply #3 on: 10 Nov 2009, 01:11 am »
Room looks great, Mike, and I bet the sound is even better!  I grow ever curiouser and curiouser about the Geddes speakers...

Wayne, is that yet another speaker rebuild?  They don't look like the pair the went off to college or the pair I saw in parts in your garage... you must be starting a vintage rebuild service! :lol:

mgalusha

« Reply #4 on: 10 Nov 2009, 02:27 am »
You're always welcome to visit Brian. :D

TRM

« Reply #5 on: 10 Nov 2009, 03:27 am »
Great pictures, thanks for sharing

Wayne1

Geddes Abbey, Yorkville Unity and E-Wave Advent comparison
« Reply #6 on: 10 Nov 2009, 03:28 am »
Brian,

The Advents that we listened to, I built for for Tom, who had heard my basic version. He really liked the waveguide on the Advents, but wanted a little bit more quality sonically. I lined the cabinet with No-Rez and built the crossover with Sonicaps and foil coil inductors. The crossover was mounted outboard in the speaker stands.

The finished speaker looks like this.

It uses a JBL waveguide with a Selenium DT220ti compression driver. The woofers are the standard New Larger Advents that had been refoamed. Internal wiring is my M-80.

I first built my waveguided Advents for a fun project. I had the cabinets for many years and thought I just might use them for occasional backyard parties. I was amazed at how well they sounded. I started researching the Wavguide concept and stumbled on information about Tom Danley and his Unity Horn. This was a waveguide that had a separate compresion driver for highs and cone midrange drivers both in the same horn. His current company now makes another unit called a Synergy Horn that also has 2) 12" drivers for low end. Here is a .pdf of a white paper about some of Mr. Danley's designs for low end speakers and the Synergy Horn.

Yorkville Sound had licensed Mr. Danley's Unity concept and has produced a couple of speakers using a single compression driver for the highs and three cone mids all on the same horn.

The U15 mates the unit with a 15" low frequecy driver.

I was excited to find a fellow AC member that had a pair of these U15s and even lived in Denver.

I got in touch with dwk to see if I could audition the Unitys and it turned out he was in the process of redoing his listening room. He asked if I would be interested in borrowing his speakers for a week or so. HELL YES, I believe I said.  Doug was kind enough to drive them out to me so I could listen to them in my system. I spent most of Halloween night listening to these and changing where they were in my room.

My first thought about these speakers were, and still are, DYNAMICS. At 98 dB@1W/1m they don't need much power to get going. At 127 max spl output they can keep going long after your have given up. During my time with the U15 in my system, I heard far more detail and emotion from my recordings. The high efficiency brought out subtleties that used to be buried in the mix. There was far more expression coming through Clapton's fingerings and Miles' breaths.

All is not perfect. There is some oddity going on in the mids. On some recordings everything sounds great. On others it seems something has gotten lost. On my VMPS it was very easy to tell differences between studios, lablel  etc. The Unitys made all recordings sound very similar. I could hear more into the recording, but the overall tone was uniform.

I was very interested to compare the Yorkville speakers to the Geddes Abbey. They both use Pro Sound divers. They both have unique designs for mids/highs. They are both fairly efficient. I got in touch with Mike Galusha to see if he would be interested. He was and this get together progressed.

I also got in touch with Tom to see if he would be interested in bringing his waveguided Advents. Mine having been torn apart to mod a pair of Wharfedale W-60Ds for my daughter.

All of the above was to set the scene for our listening session this past weekend.

This was the first chance I had to hear Mike's Abbeys. I have read quite a great deal about Dr. Geddes designs and was very much looking forward to hearing them.

The Abbeys were played first and sounded great. Very nice dynamics. Good image. Slightly recessed high end. Mike uses three Rhythmic subs spaced about his listening room. They were tuned to the Abbeys. There was no adjustment to the subs during the listening sessions.

The next up were the Advents. At first the high end was dominant . I went up and adjusted the L-pad to lower the output of the compression drive. Everything was then balanced out. I have to say they were closer in sound to the Abbeys than different. They had the same "tone" and evenness through the mids and highs. The Advent woofer is nowhere near as efficient as the B&C used in the Geddes, so they were not as dynamic. They did play lower but did benefit when Mike turned the subs on. All in all, I would have to say they were the value leader.

They could not play as loud as the Abbeys, they were not as dynamic. They did play deeper bass. Considering that these were built using 30 year old cabinets and refoamed woofer from the '70s they did a fantastic job. Of course, seeing as I built them, I may be a tad biased  :wink:

Next up were the Yorkvilles. My first thought on hearing them was again DYNAMICS. They were so much more effortless in reproducing micro and macro dynamics. Mike put on a vinyl recording of Billie Holiday: "Songs for Distingue Lovers". The kick drum was in the room. Unfortunately, the muted trumpet was not. The same disconnect in the mids happened in Mike's room.

We switched back to the Abbeys on the same recording. The kick drum was muffled. The trumpet was there.

I took some interesting observations away from this session. I have become addicted to the dynamics of high efficiency pro drivers. I do believe that whatever speakers I own next will be built using said drivers. I also have become a convert to compression drivers in a waveguide. Which drivers and what waveguide still are yet do be determined.

I was expecting to be very impressed with the Yorkville U15's interpretation of Mr. Danley's Unity driver. I was more impressed with the 18sounds woofer they used. I would very much like to hear a true Danley Sounds Synergy system.

For me, the foam plug mutes too much of the top end of the compression driver. Without it, the Geddes waveguide is very harsh. The JBL waveguide used in the Advent build has the clean top end without harshness without need for foam. The overall sound of the Geddes Abbey IS superior to that of the E-waved Advent, but the Advent gets very close for a lot less money.

Thanks to Mike and Mary Galusha for putting up with another influx of audio geeks with very large boxes coming into their house. Thanks to Tom and Doug for allowing us to listen to their speakers.

jrebman

« Reply #7 on: 10 Nov 2009, 05:41 pm »
Well, I don't know how my new Tonians would stack up to this crowd, but I too have become a convert to the effortless dynamics and high eff 2 way concept.  Mine use modified ribbon tweeters and are the first ribbons I could stand -- rather like them in fact.

Sounds like it was a good time.

-- Jim