Re: Class D amp - modifications

wushuliu

« Reply #20 on: 18 May 2010, 06:13 pm »
I cant wait to hear your results with this PS since you already have an upgraded one. If its as good or better than it will be a great option for newbies when buying their amp instead of just getting the standard PS.

Do you know the capasitance and caps used?

60k capacitance not sure about the caps I sent them an email asking more about those but haven't heard back. I actually do not anticipate huge difference from what I have now but I am a tweaker and I gotta have my fix!

Nick77

« Reply #21 on: 18 May 2010, 06:26 pm »
60k capacitance not sure about the caps I sent them an email asking more about those but haven't heard back. I actually do not anticipate huge difference from what I have now but I am a tweaker and I gotta have my fix!

LOL.......... I know the feeling.  :eyebrows:

HT cOz

« Reply #22 on: 18 May 2010, 11:38 pm »
Did you all notice this connexelectronic.com/./product_info.php/products_id/103?osCsid=3prbrltmu15kfebq69if854uf2  I have an itch to put together a HT amp and wonder if these would make good rear channel amps.  Tom's gear would power the LCR.  Thoughts?

wushuliu

« Reply #23 on: 19 May 2010, 12:52 am »
Did you all notice this connexelectronic.com/./product_info.php/products_id/103?osCsid=3prbrltmu15kfebq69if854uf2  I have an itch to put together a HT amp and wonder if these would make good rear channel amps.  Tom's gear would power the LCR.  Thoughts?

With the cost of shipping and wait time (I'm still waiting to hear if my PS has shipped :x) may just as well
buy the lower powered amp from Tom. I am curious how the two versions would compare in terms of sq.

HT cOz

« Reply #24 on: 19 May 2010, 03:11 am »
Looking at the two Toms surfacemount parts really stand out. Some people say surface mount is the future.

lo_tse

« Reply #25 on: 19 May 2010, 03:22 am »
I cant wait to hear your results with this PS since you already have an upgraded one. If its as good or better than it will be a great option for newbies when buying their amp instead of just getting the standard PS.

Do you know the capasitance and caps used?

Nick77,

I hope you don't mind me chime it here.  I am thinking of doing the same thing as Wushu - order the PS from Connex to use with two CDA254 running in bridge mode .  If I remembered correctly, The PS that Wushu ordered was the  one with 6 x 10,000uF at 80V.  I am actually planning to get the one rated at 100V (also 60,000 uF total capacitance).  According to the picture of the PS, the caps used in this PS (the 100V one) have a temperature rating of 105oC  => both the voltage and temperature ratings of these 10,000uF caps are exactly the same as that of those Tom used in his PS.  Unfortunately, I could not make out of the brand of the caps used in the Connex PS from the photo in the website.

Lo_tse

HT cOz

« Reply #26 on: 19 May 2010, 05:07 pm »
How many amp modules do each Connex PS support? 1?

Thanks,
Robert

wushuliu

« Reply #27 on: 19 May 2010, 05:14 pm »
How many amp modules do each Connex PS support? 1?

Thanks,
Robert

Pretty sure they support two based on the pics and schematic.

wushuliu

« Reply #28 on: 20 May 2010, 03:13 am »
Well slightly bummin' news. I think I may cancel my connex order. It's almost a week since I placed my order, his website made an error in not taking my order (but it took my money), and 2 days after telling me that he now says he's out of stock for the 10k and won't ship til weekend. And he's shipping from China. I'm sure he's reliable as he's been selling on diyaudio for a long time but clearly this is gonna be one of those 'it gets here when it gets here' deals. And I'm not sure I have the patience for that...  :(

EDIT: He was more communicative today :? I got the 90kuf(!) version instead with DHL which will deliver by Monday. The regular shipping was ~$17, DHL comes to about $28. But I'll be able to get everything done during the holiday next week.

« Last Edit: 20 May 2010, 06:51 am by wushuliu »

cynan

« Reply #29 on: 21 May 2010, 06:00 pm »
Is that a custom PSU (one not listed on the website)? The only 15kuf x 6 boards I see on the  website are up to 71V. Are you still getting 80V caps?

wushuliu

« Reply #30 on: 21 May 2010, 06:03 pm »
63v. I'm pretty sure they're on the website. ..

guest1632

« Reply #31 on: 24 May 2010, 08:46 am »

Hi, From what I saw on the page, they were 63V. That would be good enough for the SDS254/224 boards, not enough voltage for the 258 series.

Ray

guest1632

« Reply #32 on: 24 May 2010, 08:57 am »
LOL.......... I know the feeling.  :eyebrows:

Hey Nick77 are you gonna put the two remaining slots on the PS to work with the two 10 Kuf caps, or are you gonna just leave those spots blank. If I had the extra 20 I'd send you the caps. But I'll have to live my excitement through you guys for now. I did write Tom and ask if he would be willing to upgrade the values of the caps. Haven't heard back from him yet. that was like Saturday night. So i figure it will take a few days for him to let me know the answer. I did suggest that he might give some thought of using different values on the supply as opposed to just one value. My reasoning is that this would help filter different freqs since the caps will have different values. Sounds good for marketing anyhow. I told him from my observations about these amps especially, is that the cleaner the supply is, the better these little beasies like it. So, ... we'll see what he says.

Ray

Nick77

« Reply #33 on: 25 May 2010, 03:04 pm »
Hey Nick77 are you gonna put the two remaining slots on the PS to work with the two 10 Kuf caps, or are you gonna just leave those spots blank. If I had the extra 20 I'd send you the caps. But I'll have to live my excitement through you guys for now. I did write Tom and ask if he would be willing to upgrade the values of the caps. Haven't heard back from him yet. that was like Saturday night. So i figure it will take a few days for him to let me know the answer. I did suggest that he might give some thought of using different values on the supply as opposed to just one value. My reasoning is that this would help filter different freqs since the caps will have different values. Sounds good for marketing anyhow. I told him from my observations about these amps especially, is that the cleaner the supply is, the better these little beasies like it. So, ... we'll see what he says.

Ray

There's been a few times Tom has never responded to my mod questions. I think people were taking advantage of him with repairs to mods gone arye so dont be surprised if you dont hear from him.

I am waiting to see if larger capacitance has any effect before buying more caps. I have no ambition to spend the money, but if you want to send me the caps i will install them.  :eyebrows:

guest1632

« Reply #34 on: 25 May 2010, 04:03 pm »
There's been a few times Tom has never responded to my mod questions. I think people were taking advantage of him with repairs to mods gone arye so dont be surprised if you dont hear from him.

"Hi Ray,

I have done extensive testing with all kinds of power supplies. Remember, allot of this that other people hear is due to the other equipment and speakers they're using. I've even used huge 1KW power supplies with these amps, but I cannot tell a difference. These amps draw much less power from the wall then other types of amps, so huge power supplies are really not needed... but I can make it any way you want. If you're running two amps off of one power supply, it would help with larger caps possibly."

That was from Tom. So probably your 40 Kuf is enough. Sorry friend, don't have the bucks at the moment to get the other two caps. It's interesting that you heard a definite difference, where obviously he didn't. But he did say, that if I wanted a larger supply, he'd get the caps, and I'd pay for the difference. I have no problem with that. I told him i'd probably be looking at maybe almost doubling his cap values, to like roughly close to 25 Kuf per side.

My SKA amp that I have presently is supplied with close to that total capacitance amount in the power supply.

Ray

Nick77

« Reply #35 on: 25 May 2010, 04:33 pm »
Im glad you heard a favorable reply from him. He told me that swapping caps wouldn't make any difference also. I have no idea if it was the Panasonic's or the increase in capacitance but Wushulei and myself had the exact same results at 40k, increased bottom end dynamics.

guest1632

« Reply #36 on: 25 May 2010, 06:22 pm »
Im glad you heard a favorable reply from him. He told me that swapping caps wouldn't make any difference also. I have no idea if it was the Panasonic's or the increase in capacitance but Wushulei and myself had the exact same results at 40k, increased bottom end dynamics.

Hi, Well, I admit and I guess I'm a little anal here, but I admit I'd like to see those other two holes filled up with caps. lol. But 40 Kuf is certainly enough to do the job. Maybe, write Tom and see if he'll sell you a couple of caps to fill out those holes. I suspect it probably won't do much else.

Can you send me the link where you got those caps originally? Thanks.

Ray

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #37 on: 25 May 2010, 06:25 pm »
Can you send me the link where you got those caps originally? Thanks.

Ray

+1

Nick77

« Reply #38 on: 25 May 2010, 06:30 pm »
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=P7492-ND

I got them from diy cable but only cause digikey was out of stock. Tom told me minimum of 63v caps.

wushuliu

« Reply #39 on: 25 May 2010, 07:05 pm »

"Hi Ray,

I have done extensive testing with all kinds of power supplies. Remember, allot of this that other people hear is due to the other equipment and speakers they're using. I've even used huge 1KW power supplies with these amps, but I cannot tell a difference. These amps draw much less power from the wall then other types of amps, so huge power supplies are really not needed... but I can make it any way you want. If you're running two amps off of one power supply, it would help with larger caps possibly."

That was from Tom. So probably your 40 Kuf is enough. Sorry friend, don't have the bucks at the moment to get the other two caps. It's interesting that you heard a definite difference, where obviously he didn't. But he did say, that if I wanted a larger supply, he'd get the caps, and I'd pay for the difference. I have no problem with that. I told him i'd probably be looking at maybe almost doubling his cap values, to like roughly close to 25 Kuf per side.

My SKA amp that I have presently is supplied with close to that total capacitance amount in the power supply.

Ray

Yes, it makes sense that increasing the capacitance is system dependent. It's not a guarantee that everyone will hear an improvement. I have 86db 4 ohm MTMs and it's a solid 4 ohms so I believe the increased capacitance is a benefit.

But really, it's just an excuse to tinker.  :wink: