Re: Class D amp - modifications

wushuliu

« Reply #40 on: 25 May 2010, 07:09 pm »
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=P7492-ND

I got them from diy cable but only cause digikey was out of stock. Tom told me minimum of 63v caps.

Meh. If the other 4 are TSHA, I say grab some of the SMH for $4 ea. I used those in the B1 before the TSHA and I can't really say I heard a huge difference.

gotta draw the line somewhere.

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=565-2698-ND

guest1632

« Reply #41 on: 25 May 2010, 07:37 pm »
Yes, it makes sense that increasing the capacitance is system dependent. It's not a guarantee that everyone will hear an improvement. I have 86db 4 ohm MTMs and it's a solid 4 ohms so I believe the increased capacitance is a benefit.

But really, it's just an excuse to tinker.  :wink:

Ah, but tinkering with some guidance attached can be educational.

Ray

wushuliu

« Reply #42 on: 26 May 2010, 04:51 pm »
Here's the PS

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #43 on: 26 May 2010, 05:00 pm »
What do you think of the new PS?

linky?

Nick77

« Reply #44 on: 26 May 2010, 05:17 pm »
And............ How does it compare to your previous upgraded supply??? Is that 90k uf?

wushuliu

« Reply #45 on: 26 May 2010, 05:33 pm »
And............ How does it compare to your previous upgraded supply??? Is that 90k uf?

Low end is the same I would say no real difference, maybe some in the high end but negligible.

Nick77

« Reply #46 on: 26 May 2010, 06:21 pm »
Low end is the same I would say no real difference, maybe some in the high end but negligible.

Thanks for the update, might be safe to say raising the stock supply to 40k is suffice???

guest1632

« Reply #47 on: 26 May 2010, 07:22 pm »
Thanks for the update, might be safe to say raising the stock supply to 40k is suffice???

Hi Nick77and company,

Yep, looks like 40 to maybe? 50 Kuf is probably the ticket. I'd probably get the 8200 uf caps, 6 of them and populate the board and be done with it. 90 Kuf is a bit overkill don't you think?

Ray

wushuliu

« Reply #48 on: 26 May 2010, 08:14 pm »
Hi Nick77and company,

Yep, looks like 40 to maybe? 50 Kuf is probably the ticket. I'd probably get the 8200 uf caps, 6 of them and populate the board and be done with it. 90 Kuf is a bit overkill don't you think?

Ray

90k was not the focus. I don't think anyone advocated getting that large a value. The connex was about the overall design, not the increased capacitance. If I just wanted larger caps I would have just swapped out what I have. Unfortunately he was out of the cheapest option being the 60k. It was either 90k or 108 :o

guest1632

« Reply #49 on: 26 May 2010, 10:29 pm »
90k was not the focus. I don't think anyone advocated getting that large a value. The connex was about the overall design, not the increased capacitance. If I just wanted larger caps I would have just swapped out what I have. Unfortunately he was out of the cheapest option being the 60k. It was either 90k or 108 :o

Hi, Well, for starters, sorry can't see the PS, so don't have a clue what it looks like versus the "heavy duty" supply that ClassD supplies. Hence my remarks about the caps value. How much was his supply?

Ray

wushuliu

« Reply #50 on: 27 May 2010, 12:25 am »
Hi, Well, for starters, sorry can't see the PS, so don't have a clue what it looks like versus the "heavy duty" supply that ClassD supplies. Hence my remarks about the caps value. How much was his supply?

Ray

$60 for the 60k (regular mail), and 80 for the 90k (DHL Express). Definitely more than I wanted to spend, but I couldn't find any other PS kits/PCBs that would fit the bill...

lo_tse

« Reply #51 on: 27 May 2010, 01:51 am »

Hi, Wushu

Would like to know your comments on the design of the two PS's(Connex and ClassDaudio) apart from the difference in the caps used.  As seen from the photos, looks like the Connex PS uses individual diodes for rectification whereas an "integrated rectifier" is used in the ClassDaudio PS (am I right?).  In your opinion, are there any "real world" differences between the two PS's ? Which PS would you prefer?  Thanks!

Lo-tse

wushuliu

« Reply #52 on: 27 May 2010, 02:00 am »
Hi, Wushu

Would like to know your comments on the design of the two PS's(Connex and ClassDaudio) apart from the difference in the caps used.  As seen from the photos, looks like the Connex PS uses individual diodes for rectification whereas an "integrated rectifier" is used in the ClassDaudio PS (am I right?).  In your opinion, are there any "real world" differences between the two PS's ? Which PS would you prefer?  Thanks!

Lo-tse

There's no right answer.  My opinion is a drop in the ocean only your ears can decide. 

Also at this level of comparing you really need to have resolving gear from speakers on down.  Deciding PS should be amongst bottom of list of audio upgrades IMO.

guest1632

« Reply #53 on: 27 May 2010, 03:25 am »
Hi, Wushu

Lo-tse

Hi, Not being able to see the pics, but assuming they are of a similar circuit, using a bridge diode, versus 4 separate diodes is no real world difference. Sometimes just using diodes separately, probably just means he is using specific values that he might not be able to get in a all in one configuration. The prices seems fair enough.

Ray

guest1632

« Reply #54 on: 10 Jun 2010, 09:57 pm »
There's no right answer.  My opinion is a drop in the ocean only your ears can decide. 

Also at this level of comparing you really need to have resolving gear from speakers on down.  Deciding PS should be amongst bottom of list of audio upgrades IMO.

Hi guys,

All I know from reading the thread about these amps, it seems to me that one observation is that the cleaner the PS, the better the amps will sound. So that's all I know, and what's the saying, It's my story, and I'm stuck with it. lol

Ray Bronk

jtsnead

« Reply #55 on: 29 Jun 2010, 06:32 pm »
OK I need help to hook up the Connex ps board I bought.

The connes board has a set of inputs from the tranny, they are AC1 GND AC2

On the ClassD ps board the center tap two wires are connected to
the CT center input, and the other green wire is hooked up to the
AC-L and the other blue wire is hooked up two the AC-N

So does the blue wire going to the AC-N hook up to the GND on the connex

Does the two CT wire hook up to the AC1

Does the green wire hook up to the AC2

jtsnead

« Reply #56 on: 29 Jun 2010, 07:23 pm »
Nevermind, I wire like the above pictures and it WORKED Yea!

srb

« Reply #57 on: 29 Jun 2010, 07:41 pm »
Deciding PS should be amongst bottom of list of audio upgrades IMO.

Some manufacturers offer factory installed additional capacitance as the first upgrade to their audio amplifiers (BAT - Balanced Audio Technology and Odyssey come to mind).

But these are Class A/AB amplifiers, and the effect on Class D architecture may be less. (?)

Steve

wushuliu

« Reply #58 on: 29 Jun 2010, 08:07 pm »

excellent.

guest1632

« Reply #59 on: 29 Jun 2010, 09:43 pm »

And the result? How does it sound? Since you posted in both circles, you should post both here and in the Cheap and Cheerful circle how it sounds. Pardon me if I have forgotten, but didn't you also get the PS from Tom? So if you did, did you notice any big diff yourself?

Ray Bronk