New patent pending product

dvenardos

Re: New patent pending product
« Reply #20 on: 12 May 2010, 03:59 pm »
I would be interested in seeing the difference between these and the speakons which are also a low mass connector (don't be fooled by the outer plug that is just a shell). The STX series uses spring copper instead of brass (don't know the difference between spring copper and "regular" copper).
http://www.neutrik.com/fl/en/audio/204_672560351/speakON_STX_Series_productlist.aspx

Mike B.

« Reply #21 on: 12 May 2010, 04:11 pm »
Neat connector. Every junction or connector acts like a mini filter. This looks to be a minimal loss connection. Sign me up.

DFaulds

« Reply #22 on: 12 May 2010, 04:50 pm »
These look very similar to some "quick disconnect" devices I bought military surplus a long time ago, except these are much better made, are made for mounting in a panel, and also feature some interesting technology for ensuring a snug fit.  I'll try to look around to see if I can find some of those.

Danny Richie

« Reply #23 on: 12 May 2010, 08:01 pm »
Hey, for those of you that want to give these a try, I have a deal for you.

I bought a small bag or two of blems for a good price.

The blemishes occured in the injection molding process of the outer section, and in some cases some of the high temp (red colored) Silicon that is used for keeping tension on the tube is exposed. It won't effect the performance though.

So for the next couple of weeks I will run these for $25 a set. That is 4 tube connectors and 4 studs for only $25.

Keep in mind that I leave for LSAF tomorrow and won't be around until it is over.

Mariusz

« Reply #24 on: 12 May 2010, 08:05 pm »
I'll take two sets to try out.

Mariusz

Danny Richie

« Reply #25 on: 12 May 2010, 08:11 pm »
Great, but can everyone please call me on Monday to order them.

Thanks,

GR Research
940-592-3400

sl_1800

« Reply #26 on: 12 May 2010, 11:48 pm »
Danny,

Will there be any of these blems available at LSAF?

Danny Richie

« Reply #27 on: 13 May 2010, 04:13 am »
Will there be any of these blems available at LSAF?

Sure.

TooManyToys

« Reply #28 on: 14 May 2010, 02:05 am »
I’m not sure I see that much of a connection advantage over a good BFA style plug into a binding post, but whatever.

As far as standard silicone  …… that should never be used around any electrical connections.  The standard over the counter silicone gives off acetic acid while it is curing, that is the vinegar odor that some people can’t stand.  Very corrosive.

If silicone is really what someone wants to use, you need the type specifically made for around electronics.  Both GE and Dow make them.

Danny Richie

« Reply #29 on: 17 May 2010, 12:56 pm »
I’m not sure I see that much of a connection advantage over a good BFA style plug into a binding post, but whatever.

It is a much better connection from a sound quality perspective.

As far as standard silicone  …… that should never be used around any electrical connections.  The standard over the counter silicone gives off acetic acid while it is curing, that is the vinegar odor that some people can’t stand.  Very corrosive.

If silicone is really what someone wants to use, you need the type specifically made for around electronics.  Both GE and Dow make them.

This is a high temp Silicone based tube designed to withstand the injection molding process of the outer shell. It does not out gas anything.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #30 on: 17 May 2010, 01:06 pm »
I think Jack is talking about the silicone adhesive to attach the tube to the speaker cabinet.  The electronic version for adhesive does not have the acetic acid base. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #31 on: 17 May 2010, 01:10 pm »
I think Jack is talking about the silicone adhesive to attach the tube to the speaker cabinet.  The electronic version for adhesive does not have the acetic acid base. 

In that case, he can use whatever he wants.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #32 on: 17 May 2010, 01:13 pm »
I say re-work the tool so there is a plastic flange that attaches to the cabinet.  I would imagine this part is done in a MUD insert. 

I know it won't happen but I think that would solve all consumer concerns.  I do look forward to seeing them in person though.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #33 on: 17 May 2010, 02:09 pm »
  Excellent Idea. Good luck.

charles

TheChairGuy

« Reply #34 on: 17 May 2010, 02:13 pm »
Eliminating solder joints or any dissimilar metal is beneficial sonically

Congrats to Electra-Cable for finding a way to make it both appealing aesthetically and making something easier to install than binding posts :thumb:

John

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #35 on: 17 May 2010, 08:52 pm »
:scratch:

Did you have any input on the design?  I can't wait to read the patent.

:scratch: Indeed, I would love to read at least the preliminary info submitted to the U.S. Patent Office.

Are those pins brass or copper based?

Anand.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #36 on: 18 May 2010, 01:41 am »
:scratch: Indeed, I would love to read at least the preliminary info submitted to the U.S. Patent Office.

Anand.

^^^^^^^

Danny Richie

« Reply #37 on: 18 May 2010, 02:31 am »
Indeed, I would love to read at least the preliminary info submitted to the U.S. Patent Office.

I don't know how long it takes for the information to become public. I don't know how much more you'd need to know though. They posted complete technical drawings on their site with explanations.

From what I understand, Copper was to soft to be machined into those studs. So they have to be made from Brass. I'd rather my signal pass through a thin layer of Brass than an inch long Copper bolt.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #38 on: 18 May 2010, 12:31 pm »

I don't know how long it takes for the information to become public. I don't know how much more you'd need to know though. They posted complete technical drawings on their site with explanations.

From what I understand, Copper was to soft to be machined into those studs. So they have to be made from Brass. I'd rather my signal pass through a thin layer of Brass than an inch long Copper bolt.

Ok.  It would just be nice to read what was submitted.  That's all!  I always find that stuff interesting.  It also seems to separate the men from the boys.  Many say they will do it but few do as the cost is high.

Danny Richie

« Reply #39 on: 18 May 2010, 12:52 pm »
My good friends at Electra Cable said that it is not only been filed it has also been given an application number. US 61/343,708.