Help PLease - My VAndersteen 5A's have been blown out

redbat

Hi All,

I purchased a pair of 5A's some 5 years ago and have really enjoyed them.

Last year I went on a backpacking trip and when I returned home some of the drivers were blown. My kids swear (of course) that they never touched the stereo.....but I doubt it. I'm guessing that they tried to play some music, couldn't get any sound, had the volume cranked up all the way and finally pushed the right button. The other possibility is lightning as I live in an area with quite a bit of lightning. But no other components were damaged....so I kind of doubt it.

At any rate the tricky bit in all of this is that I live in Malaysia. I had the speakers imported and there are no dealers here. I did go to a dealer who was supposed to be very switched on and he brought along a technician. The drivers were removed and I was told that I was very lucky that they were repairable.....and they were "repaired"

After listening...yes....the sound is 80% better....but definitely not right. In fact I have the Vandersteen 2Ce's and they now sound much better than the 5A's. The problem seems to be more with the mid range and perhaps highs. The sub wofers and amps built into the cabinet seem to functioning fine.

So I called Richard Vandersteen and he kindly took my call. However during the call he seemed quite rushed and the upshot was that if I care about good sound I need to return the entire speakers to the US. Oh....and those nice pallets that they come packed with were disposed of long ago....as I knew that I would never be shipping them back to the US (argh!)

So the question is can't I get this sorted by simply removing the drivers and send them back to US for testing and repair? I know that Mr. Vandersteen is a perfectionist (compliment!) and I am hoping that there is consensus that sending the drivers back for repair without the cabinet, subwofer and amp should get me back to 99% of what I used to have. To send the speakers (approx 100KG each) would be horribly expensive and a general pain.

Any other things I should send back as well....the crossovers for example? How critical is the soldering when reinstalling the drivers?

Thanks for your advice and fingers crossed that the consensus is that there is no need to send back the entire speakers.

Jeff 

Mariusz

Re: Help PLease - My VAndersteen 5A's have been blown out
« Reply #1 on: 9 May 2010, 04:37 am »
R.V should be able to help you sort this unfortunate mishap out without the need of shipping your entire speakers (without original crates) to U.S.
Drivers + crossovers should be all that's needed for necessary repair/trouble-shooting.

Good luck

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #2 on: 9 May 2010, 06:35 pm »
Why you dont contact your nearest dealer and ask for parts?
http://www.vandersteen.com/vandersteen_international_distributors.htm

A friend of mine found a new set of drivers for his vandersteen's in a local dealer.

redbat

« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2010, 02:02 am »
Thank you Noseyears and Marisuz for your replys.

I had originally purchased the speakers through a dealer in Singapore but it seems they have now closed. There are dealers in the Philippines and Thailand but I don't know them and if they are anything like the hi-fi dealers in Malaysia they are very small. So in in the end if it involves sending parts by courier I might as well go directly to Vandersteen.

However this does raise another issue. I was advised by the technician that originally repaired the drivers that they are a  bit like an on/off switch. Either they work or they don't. It was on was on this basis that I even decided to try to have them repaired. I was afraid that he would get them repaired but they wouldn't be right. Now it seems that his on/off switch analogy was incorrect and in fact you can substantially improve the damage....but it isn't really working properly. I don't know if anybody else has ever had any experience like this.

I am now concerned as to which drivers are not even working properly. I'm guessing that they are not cheap so my thought was to have them all tested by Vandersteen (with the exception of the subwoffer) and replaced as needed.

So questions would be:

1. The drivers are now 7 years old. If I am going through this whole exercise should I simply change all the drivers (if the good ones assuming there are any) given their age? It seems like I would be getting a new speaker. Having half the drivers being new and the other half 7 years old might not be the right strategy?

2. Any idea what drivers cost (I know I can write to Vandersteen to find out but perhaps somebody here has an idea)? If crazy expensive this could impact the logic on question 1 above.

3. Is the soldering a big issue when the drivers are reinstalled? Crimping? Been doing some reading and it seems like it could be a factor.

4. Is it better to bite the bullet and go through the huge pain of sending back the entire speakers? I have no packing materials and am on the other side of the world. What Richard Vandersteen had said was that they match drivers very carefully in the cabinets and if he doesn't have the actual speaker cabinets they will never be perfect. I though this was a bit extreme and I also note that their literature speaks of being able to upgrade/repair drivers in the field.

Thanks guys......your advice is very much appreciated.

Jeff

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2010, 02:19 am »
I would listen to Richard Vandersteen Jeff. There is no reason for him to steer you wrong. Maybe Richard would be willing to send you the proper packaging for you, what happened to the original boxes? I guess it boils down to how serious you are about your music and how much you've enjoyed your loudspeakers for the last 7 years. Anything can be bandaid repaired but it could be a crapshoot whether or not they'll sound as they once did. Only by sending them back can you be assured that they will. It might also be an opportunity to inquire about any possible upgrades that might have come about in the last 7 years.  :o

1 other thing, Richard Vandersteen will not do repair work on anything other than original owner loudspeakers, at least that's what he's told me. Good luck on whatever course of action you decide upon.   :D

Cheers,
Robin

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2010, 04:54 am »
Based on the reports from the OP, one apparently glaring fault may be the theory that someone other than RV can give you happier news. 

IMO it seems that a contract that existed when you bought the Vandy's living in the east is that you'd pay a lot of money for shipping for service if/when the time arrived.  Unfortunately it very much looks like the time has arrived.  You already know this, but the you could ship them back to RV, receive them and something else could happen the next day requiring you to reship round trip.  This is the reality of the situation and you might want to take a long hard look at it before your next step. 

RV has no logical choice, based on your report, other than examining the entire system.  Otherwise, if he looks at only some parts and the system does not work when you re-assemble, he can be blamed and you'll be right back where you are now, but you'll be out even more money.  At least that's how it looks to me. 

lowtech

« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2010, 05:50 am »
I used to sell and repair Vandersteen speakers in the field.  There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to send just the drivers back to Richard for replacement.  If you don't feel comfortable with soldering or dis/assembly I suggest you hire a competitent tech to do it for you.  Also, while it's possible the crossover was damaged, it's unlikely.  In any case, you should verify this with Richard prior to sending them back to him.

redbat

« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2010, 08:46 am »
Thanks for the good advice everybody.

Lowtech - as you have hands on experience servicing Vandersteens in the field do you think that the bass drivers and amplifiers are also more durable - similar to the crossovers?

If I was to send components as opposed to the whole speaker obviously the built in Amp as well as the bass drivers are large and heavy. I have not removed these before and would prefer to leave them if the probability is they are fine. As mentioned earlier they sound tight and seems to be working fine. I just don't know the way the speaker is designed internally and if you had a view that the amp and bass drivers are probably OK if left alone?

So my short list if I was to send back bits and bobs would be all the drivers except the bass driver on the bottom, the crossovers and perhaps the high pass filters which are inline with the interconnects. Does that seems to be a reasonable plan?

I know I am asking questions which as in some respects are unknowable....you have not had a chance to hear the speakers. I suppose I am looking at probabilities here.

I had a flavor of what the costs might be in terms of repair/parts when I looked at the upgrade cost of going from a model 5 to a model 5A. It is on the Vandersteen web page. New power supply for the subwoofer, new cone and assembly for the midrange driver, new 1" alloy tweeter, new crossovers - in total about 8K. Shipping might be another 4k round trip if I sent the entire cabinet. So hopefully you can appreciate my dilemma. The wost case scenario is I spend a few thousand dollars shipping the cabinets back and then find out that the damage is extensive and the total bill starts to approach the price of new speakers.

Aargh.....what a pain. Just want to try and get this sorted in an economical manner. If the speakers can be brought back to 95% of what they once were and the price was at or below half the price new speakers I would be satisfied.

Thanks again........

redbat

« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2010, 08:50 am »
oh...and one more thing. My kids whom I am 99% sure did all of this are up for adoption. Just put a lock on the door that leads to your stereo room :D

Rocket

« Reply #9 on: 10 May 2010, 01:46 pm »
Hi,

In 2008 I shipped a pair of speakers by sea from the US to Perth Western Australia.  I believe that it was sent via Singapore and it cost me $400au for one trip.  It does take longer by sea but it is more cost effective.

I hope you get your speakers sorted out.  I have a similiar problem with an amplifier that I purchased in 2009 and I know how you feel.

Regards

Rod

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 10 May 2010, 03:11 pm »
I used to sell and repair Vandersteen speakers in the field.  There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to send just the drivers back to Richard for replacement...you should verify this with Richard prior to sending them back to him.

Apparently, based on earlier posts in this thread, RV has denied this option to the OP.  The final authority has apparently spoken on this subject. 

I'm thinking that the "repair in the field option" as apparently mentioned in this thread, is for owners who can report first hand experience of the original event causing the current problem, and for speakers not having been previously serviced by an unauthorized tech.  In this case the owner has no first hand experience what caused the current symptom and apparently a non-Vandy authorized source has serviced the speakers and failed in their efforts.

I very much feel for the OP.  It's a bad situation to have one's Ferrari parked needing costly service.

IMO all the typing in the world will not save the OP any money.  The only option saving money will likely be packing them ASAP for a ship and waiting six weeks in each direction.  Pray that RV shows mercy for all the delays and hassles and charges as little as possible for his time/labor/parts.     

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #11 on: 10 May 2010, 03:16 pm »
Go for single driver speakers and you wouldn't have this problem.  :lol: Blow a driver##%%/?.....just screw a new one in. :thumb:

srb

« Reply #12 on: 10 May 2010, 03:26 pm »
Very helpful and super funny.  Besides, that only works if you have high frequency hearing loss in one or both ears.

Steve

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #13 on: 10 May 2010, 03:32 pm »
Very helpful and super funny.  Besides, that only works if you have high frequency hearing loss in one or both ears.

Steve

No it's the other way around. If you have high freq. loss you need a set of speakers that exaggerate the highs so to compensate for the hearing loss.

-Roy

srb

« Reply #14 on: 10 May 2010, 03:37 pm »
Whatever.  As I said, I'm sure the OP appreciates your help.

Steve

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #15 on: 10 May 2010, 03:40 pm »
Whatever.  As I said, I'm sure the OP appreciates your help.

Steve

So serious...aren't you?

-Roy

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 10 May 2010, 04:13 pm »
No it's the other way around. If you have high freq. loss you need a set of speakers that exaggerate the highs so to compensate for the hearing loss.

-Roy

Great taste!  No!  Less filling!......... :lol:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #17 on: 10 May 2010, 04:18 pm »
So serious...aren't you?

-Roy

Well I suppose if you were in this individuals position Roy, this might come across as being a little more of a serious situation to you also and useful advise would be highly appreciated.  :thumb: 

Instead of advising Jeff to throw away his Vandy's for a single driver loudspeakers, the least you could do Roy is offer a helping hand by possibly adopting his children for the poor guy.  :jester:

Cheers,
Robin

drphoto

« Reply #18 on: 10 May 2010, 06:28 pm »
I had some ICs short out and blow the drivers in my Merlins, but it also toasted some resistors in the crossover, so that MAY be an issue too. Maybe you could pull out the crossovers and ship them back to Vandy. I'm sure they might have a spare cabinet around to install and test. Probably expensive, but gotta cost less than shipping the whole thing back to the states.

Then just replace any cooked drivers. You may get away w/ just diaphragm replacements. The solder job is not that hard.

There may be an upgrade for the crossover (cryo'd parts, etc) which will make it all a blessing in disguise.

That's what happened to me. I got my Merlins upgraded to what was then the latest version which sound WAY better than what I had previously. To the tune of $1K however.

I'm sure Mr. V. would tell you if this is an option.

JackD201

« Reply #19 on: 11 May 2010, 06:55 am »
The Philippine distributor of Vandersteen has a full tech/repair/mod staff. They are very easy to deal with. I've bought lots of stuff from them. I'm 99.99% sure they can do full parts replacements easily for a nominal service fee. They do not however have room for more children. :D

Call or e-mail Noel and tell him JackD201 sent you.